Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

serefin99 posted:

But with unlimited wishes, we can always just say "I wish you would undo that last wish" or "I wish my next wish would go perfectly" or something.

If you are left in a state capable of making that wish, that is. Note that Jenna screams "I hate that wish!", implying she's granted it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to ignore Jenna’s warning. You dash out of the bathroom. You push your way through the crowd of dancing, shouting kids who are spilling food and drinks all over the furniture.

Finally you reach the kitchen and find a can opener.

You set the cola can down on the counter.

Jenna races into the kitchen with tears in her eyes.

“Please don’t,” she begs. “Please. I’ll do anything. You can eat dessert for breakfast. You can stay up till midnight every night of your life. Anything! Just please don’t open that cola can.”

“No way,” you tell Jenna. “I’m going to get my mom out of here right now!”

Before she can stop you, you clamp the can opener onto the cola can. Then you turn the handle.

quote:

“Done!” you exclaim. The can is open.

“Nooooooo!” Jenna wails behind you. You turn toward her.

And gasp in horror.

“Aahhh!” you scream, stumbling backward.

Before your eyes, Jenna is changing! Fading. She’s transforming into a ghostly version of herself.

You can see right through her. Through her skin, her blood, her organs. But you can’t see through her bones.

Inside her transparent body she has a solid skeleton!

“What’s happening?” you ask her, trembling.

“The can,” she moans. She stretches out her long bones and fingers, pointing at it. It is a terrifying sight. She looks like a Halloween skeleton surrounded by a misty cloud. “You opened the can – and killed me! You’ve ended my life!”

She lets out another unearthly moan. Then she reaches for you. You shrink back against the kitchen counter, trapped. Just as her gnarled finger-bone touches your face, her body fades away completely. Only her skeleton remains.

The bones clatter to the floor.

quote:

You stare at the bones, stunned. Too freaked out to move.

Then a tiny voice snaps you out of it.

“Get me out of here!”

You glance at the cola can on the kitchen counter. “Mom?” you ask. “Are you all right?”

You lift her gently from the can and set her on top of the toaster oven.

“Yes, I’m fine.” She pats her hair. “But what’s going on? Is your brother having a party? Make all those kids go home!”

She’s bossing you around from the top of the toaster oven?

Yup! And you’re going to obey her too. Because even though she’s only five inches tall – she’s still your mom! And now you’re in BIG trouble.

THE END

This is the goal ending for this path, by virtue of being one of the only two endings where we successfully get our mom out of the can. There's still more to explore here, but only bad endings remain.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Accidentally wasted all our wishes within two minutes of getting them.

Achievements
Can't Believe That Worked: Made Jenna give us unlimited wishes.

Our options posted:

• Wish to be a celebrity.
  • Wish to be rich.
  • Wish to be good-looking.
  • See what's wrong with Kate.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
what the gently caress

uhh, Let's be rich

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...well that was a thing.

Let's see what's wrong with Kate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That seems like a less happy ending than the other one!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jesus Christ.

See what's wrong with Kate

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That seems like a less happy ending than the other one!

True, but the other one seemed more like it should be an achievement, and I didn't exactly have many other endings to pick from. While this book technically has two paths. most of the content went into the one where we start making wishes right away.

quote:

You can’t just let your little sister scream, can you?

Of course not.

So you forget the cola can.

You race through the dark house, down the hall, following the sound of her cries.

“Help! Stop it! You’re scaring me!” Kate screams over and over again.

quote:

Kate's screaming is coming from the hall that leads to the kitchen. When you get there, a bunch of teenagers are crowded around, laughing and slapping each other high fives.

“Excuse me. Move it. Let me through!” you shout, trying to be heard above the noise. Randy must’ve used another wish, you realize. Now there’s a live rock band playing in your family room.

Finally the teenagers move aside enough for you to see Kate, cowering outside a closet door, crying.

The minute she sees you, she runs up and throws her arms around your legs.

“They’re scaring me!” Kate shrieks, still sniffling.

“Who is?” you ask her.

“Randy and these other guys,” she mutters. “They keep hiding in the closets and then jumping out to scare me!”

You give Kate a pat on the head. “Okay,” you tell her. “Take it easy. I’ll put you back to bed.”

“No!” Kate whines, stamping her foot. “I won’t go! I won’t go! They’ll hide in the closet in my room! And when the lights are out, they’ll scare me more! You know what I wish?”

Wish? Did she say the word “wish?”

Uh-oh.

quote:

“I wish a monster would jump out of the closet and scare Randy – right now!” Kate says.

Oh, no, you think. Your stomach tightens into one million knots. You gaze at the closet door, which is still closed. Randy’s friends are all laughing and making fun of Kate.

But when Randy’s eyes meet yours, he realizes what you’ve already figured out.

Her wish is going to come true.

Any second now.

quote:

The closet door flies open.

“Aaaaahhhhhh!” Kate screams, gripping your leg so hard you think your blood will stop flowing.

Inside the closet, flinging its arms and legs wildly, is a huge metallic creature. Its silver skull is enormous. A long gray tongue darts out at you between terrible silver teeth. The tongue makes a sickening sucking sound.

Randy’s friends back away from the closet. They scream in such blood-curdling terror, you can’t hear the band playing just a few feet away.

“What is it?” a girl screams.

“I don’t know!” Randy shouts back.

Whatever it is, it looks hideous. And deadly.

You’re doomed.

quote:

“Helllllp!” Kate screams over and over again. “Helllpppp!”

You want to help, but you’re frozen in terror. Your eyes are glued to the monster. Its arms and legs flail, desperately trying to escape from the closet.

Kate bolts out of the room. Randy’s friends follow, stumbling and screaming.

Still you can’t move. You can’t tear your eyes away. The metallic monster’s antennae waggle at you. Big drops of saliva roll off its tongue and splat on to the floor.

“Gross,” Randy moans. “Quick! Wish it away!”

“You wish it away!” you snap. You’ve only got one wish left. You have to use it carefully.

“I can’t!” Randy shrieks. “I’ve used mine up!”

CRAASHHH!

Suddenly, the giant metallic insect punches one long, wiry leg through the wall. A sharp pincer-claw on the end of its leg reaches out toward Randy. It grabs his arm!

“What are you waiting for?” Randy screams. “Wish it away!”

“No – wait!” Jenna suddenly rushes up to you. “Are you sure you want to do that?”

quote:

Are you sure you want to get rid of the huge monster insect? The monster that has your brother gripped in enormous claws?

You better believe it!

“Why not?” you demand. “Why shouldn’t I wish the bug away?”

“Because your real mom is inside that cola can,” Jenna whispers. “And if you don’t find that can and wish her out of it, you’ll never get rid of me.”

“Can’t you wish to switch places with my mom?” you ask hopefully.

Jenna shakes her head, rattling her earrings. “I don’t get to make wishes myself,” she explains. “I only grant them.”

“Okay, okay.” You try not to panic. “How about if I wish for her to come back – and for you to go away?”

“Couple of problems, kiddo.” She snaps her gum at you. “One. You’d still have the bug on your hands. And two. I can’t get back into the cola can if I don’t have it!”

“Wish!” Randy screams as the bug pulls him closer. “Wish away the monster!”

What are you going to do?

If you use your last wish to get rid of the bug, turn to PAGE 115.

If you go to find the cola can first, turn to PAGE 119.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's wish for the soda can.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Find that can.

Also, I'd definitely say the unlimited wishes ending should be the goal ending for this bit, the can opener one didn't end very happy at all.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

I can’t do it, you think. I can’t use up my last wish!

If you do, you’ll never be able to get rid of Jenna and get your mom back. And you’re sure that getting rid of the genie is the most important thing in the world.

I wish it!” Kate screams behind you. She has crept back into the hall. “I wish the monster would get out of here – RIGHT NOW!”

WHOOOOSH.

The world seems to spin. Just for an instant.

Then everything is so quiet you can hear the hum of the stereo amplifier in the family room. No music is playing. There’s just a steady hiss as electricity buzzes through the amp and speakers, into the room.

The monster is gone.

“Way to go, Katie,” you cheer, ruffling her hair. “You got rid of it! Good girl.”

“Yeah,” Randy says weakly. “Good job, Katie.” He rubs his arm where the monster had gripped him.

That’s when you hear it. Outside. The sucking noise. The shrill high-pitched whining and clicking sounds.

The screams.

quote:

You rush to the window to see what’s going on outside.

Yeow!

You fly backward as a pane of glass explodes. A long metallic leg – with a metal pincer-claw – shoots into the house through the broken window.

You scream.

Randy screams.

Katie screams. “Make it go away!”

From the front yard, you hear Randy’s friends shouting and yelling too.

The horrible metallic insect lifts itself up over the windowsill. It lets out a shrill cry. Then it lands on your family-room floor.

Your eyes grow huge and your heart pounds horribly. Randy has backed up against a wall. Katie collapses to the ground.

“Why didn’t it go away!” Katie wails. “I wished it would go away!”

You realize what happened. Katie didn’t wish carefully enough. It went away, all right. Away to your front lawn.

And now it’s back.

quote:

“We’ve got to do something!” Randy shouts.

No kidding!

The enormous metal monster crawls further into the room. Its antennae wave as if it’s searching for prey. Then its head slowly turns your way. It seems to have found what it was looking for.

You!

You feel along the wall, desperate to find a weapon – anything you can use to defend yourself.

Your fingers touch a baseball bat leaning against the doorway. Luckily, Randy never puts his things away.

The monster creeps closer... closer...

If you bash the giant insect with the baseball bat, turn to PAGE 46.

If you try to escape by running outside, turn to PAGE 129.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fight!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Attack! :black101:

I thought having a genie for a mom would be cool, but Jenna's kind of terrible. Though, she doesn't seem particularly evil as the title suggests.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

heyyyyyy batta batta

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, she doesn't seem particularly evil as the title suggests.

She's only really evil on the other path, and even then her motivations are kind of understandable.

Also, I'm about to go on vacation with my family, so this'll probably be my last post for about a week.

quote:

The monster insect’s claw is about to close on you.

“Aaaahhh!” you scream in horror. “No!”

You grip the baseball bat tightly, swing your arms back, and let it fly.

WHAM! You smack the claw hard with the bat.

BAM! A second hit.

KA-SLAM! BAM! WHAM! Three more hard hits.

“Yiyyy!” you scream as the bat strikes one final time.

All at once, the giant claw pops open. It flies open wide, like a huge clam shell – revealing the horror of what’s inside.

You gasp when you see it. Ten or fifteen smaller metallic claws – each one big enough to pinch your head off. Or crack your skull into a thousand little pieces, like a nutcracker.

The multiple claws spring out at you, snapping, snapping viciously.

“No!” you scream in utter terror.

All at once, you don’t care what happens. You don’t care whether you ever see your real mother again. All you want is for this monster to go away.

“I wish the monster would disappear forever!” you shriek.

quote:

WHOOOSH!

An instant of pure darkness. Then silence.

The whole world seems to come to a stop.

Did the earth stop spinning? Did the stars go out?

Finally, you can see again. You open your eyes. You glance at Randy, who has collapsed on the floor. He gives you a weak smile and a thumbs-up.

You sigh with relief.

The huge metallic insect is gone...

You creep over to the window and peek out.

No monster out there.

Did it work? Is it really gone?

quote:

A bunch of Randy’s friends stand in your front yard.

“How did that happen?” you hear them asking each other. “Did you see the sky go dark? Where did that metal thing go?”

Too hard to explain, you think.

But the important thing is, the monster is nowhere to be seen.

You turn back to the living room and stare at the mess.

Broken glass. Pizza bottles. Cola cans everywhere.

Empty cola cans. Not full ones.

“Close one,” Randy declares, scrambling to his feet. “You used your last wish. Thanks.”

“Yeah,” you say a little sadly. Then you spot Jenna. She’s sitting cross-legged on top of your family’s big TV. She looks sad too.

“Oh, well.” She sighs. “If I have to get stuck with a real job – being a real mom forever – I guess this isn’t so bad. I’d rather have you guys than any of the other kids I’ve met.”

“But you are our real mom,” Randy says.

Not really, you think. Your real mom is in a cola can somewhere. And Jenna will never be able to get her back. Her genie powers have come to an

END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
:siren:Meet the New Mom: Survived the adventure, but failed to bring our mom back.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Wish to be rich.
  • Wish the bug would go away.
  • Escape the bug by running outside.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

actually nah we outta here

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

That's a pretty moody downer ending as far as this series goes. Why does the protag never ever consider just wishing for everything to go back to the way it was before he met Jenna?

Escape the monster by running outside.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Adamant posted:

That's a pretty moody downer ending as far as this series goes. Why does the protag never ever consider just wishing for everything to go back to the way it was before he met Jenna?

Escape the monster by running outside.

Because then you're trapped in an endless loop of meeting Jenna and wishing for a reset! The protagonist is clearly genre savvy enough to avoid this, which is why he never considered wishing for wishes.

Run away

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sorry for the delay, but I'm back from vacation! Anyway, funny you should suggest wishing things back to how they were before we met Jenna...

quote:

A wooden baseball bat is no weapon against a metal monster, you decide.

Katie has managed to climb out the broken window. Randy is throwing everything he can at the insect. Books, games, sneakers – anything!

But still the monster comes toward you.

Time to make a run for it!

You dash out the front door.

SNAP! SNAP-SNAP! You hear the metal claws opening and closing wildly behind you.

You know what you have to do.

You have to find that cola can. Fast!

The metallic insect sticks its head out the window. It’s looking for you!

It crawls back out the window after you!

quote:

“Stay away from me, you creep!” you yell at the metal bug.

You dash toward a group of Randy’s friends who are all standing in the street, gawking from a safe distance.

“Listen, everyone,” you pant as you rush up to them. “Did anybody take a can of cola from the family room? I need it back really bad!”

They stare at you as if you are crazy.

A short girl shakes her head. “A giant metal bug rampages through your house, and you’re worried about a beverage?” she demands.

“Besides,” a guy in ripped jeans adds. “It was a party! Everyone grabbed sodas.”

“I know, I know,” you answer quickly. “But I need a certain can. A special one. It was on the coffee table.”

They obviously think you’re nuts. Behind you, the insect crawls closer.

Finally a guy in an orange T-shirt reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls something out. “Is this it?” he asks with a shrug. “I was going to drink it later.”

You grab the cola can from the guy. Is it the right one? You have no way to know.

quote:

“Thanks,” you tell the guy. You clutch the cola can tightly. You dart around to the back of the house and dash inside. The bug doesn’t follow.

Yet.

“Jenna!” you call. “Jenna, where are you?”

“What’s going on?” Randy rushes into the kitchen. Jenna is right behind him.

“Just wait,” you tell your big brother. “You’ll see.”

“What’s up?” Jenna asks. Then she spots the can in your hand. “You got it! That’s the one! You got it!”

You let out a long sigh of relief. You have the right cola can.

“Okay, give it to me,” Jenna orders you. “I’ve got to hold the can to get back inside. Then you can wish that you’d never met me – and everything will be all right.”

“But what about the monster?” you cry. “That thing is headed this way! It will eat us all!”

“Don’t worry,” Jenna says. “Trust me.”

Trust her?

quote:

“Are you sure that’s the right wish?” you demand.

Jenna just shrugs.

Smash!

The back door splinters into pieces. The monster!

“Okay,” you cry. “I wish I never met you, Jenna.”

For an instant, the world is dark. Spinning. Finally everything is still. You open your eyes – and find your mother standing beside you. Your regular mom!

Except you notice she’s wearing funny clothes. You glance down. So are you.

You gaze at your mother again. You realize her clothing resembles the costumes worn in the Thanksgiving pageant at your school. She looks just like a Pilgrim.

Uh-oh.

“Um, excuse me?” you begin uncertainly. “What’s your name?”

She laughs. “You know my name, silly. It’s Lavinia.”

Lavinia? That’s the name of your great-great-great-great-grandmother.

Jenna granted your wish all right. She’s sent you back to a time before you ever met her.

Way before.

And that was your last wish. So this story comes to an old-fashioned

END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Transported a few centuries into the past with no way of getting home.:siren:

Achievements
Meet the New Mom: Survived the adventure, but failed to bring our mom back.

Our options posted:

• Wish to be rich.
  • Wish the bug would go away.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clearly this kid never read The Monkey's Paw.

Wish the bug away!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Doesn't seem like that bad a result, honestly, your new pilgrim mom seems pretty rad.

Wish the bug away!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's a terrible twisted wish! It doesn't ironically play into the premise of the wish at all, it's like if someone wished for infinite money and the evil genie was all like, "aha, but you didn't stipulate that you wouldn't be getting constantly stung by bees! I've outfoxed you again, mortal!".

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Android Blues posted:

That's a terrible twisted wish! It doesn't ironically play into the premise of the wish at all, it's like if someone wished for infinite money and the evil genie was all like, "aha, but you didn't stipulate that you wouldn't be getting constantly stung by bees! I've outfoxed you again, mortal!".

Please don't give the book ideas

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I think I know what bad ending we're getting next.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I'm starting to wonder how much actual control Jenna has over the actual wish-granting process. Unless she's being an rear end in a top hat on purpose.

Doesn't wishing the bug away loop back into the path after we attacked the bug with a bat?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’ve got to get rid of that monster!

“I wish the metal insect would go away forever and never come back!” you shout.

Then you close your eyes. And hope that you’ve said the wish right.

Because sometimes Jenna makes your wishes turn out all wrong.

When you open your eyes, everything is quiet.

You glance at the closet. It’s empty. The metallic insect thing is gone.

Kate comes up behind you. She’s smiling.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” she cries, giving you a big hug. “You are the best! I wish I had a hundred more brothers and sisters just like you!”

Uh-oh.

Did she just say what you think she said? Did she just make another wish? Yup. And your wishes are all gone!

Suddenly the house is overflowing with kids.

And they all look exactly like you!

Oh, well.

At least now you’ll have some help when Randy decides to pick on you. You outnumber him a hundred to one!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Transported a few centuries into the past with no way of getting home.
:siren:Failed to get our mom back and got saddled with 100 clones of us.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:It's the Dark Souls of Horror Books: Encountered a total of 150 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Wish to be rich.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 12, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

disregard stupid plot twists, acquire currency

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Disregard currency, become gorgeous.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Rebonack7 posted:

“You are the best! I wish I had a hundred more brothers and sisters just like you!”

That has...interesting implications.

Let's not talk about those and wish to be rich.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's become Richie Rich.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wish to be rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6kT_0H1MI

Epicmissingno posted:

That has...interesting implications.

Rule 63?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Well, we've already seen that our character in this book is an idiot who can't be trusted to make a single remotely competent wish. Surely a sudden influx of wealth won't make us do anything stupid!

quote:

“Well, I guess I want to be rich,” you tell Jenna.

“Who wouldn’t?” Jenna responds. Then she ducks her head. You can see she’s trying to hide her laughter. “They all ask for that,” she mutters. She fakes a yawn. “Bor-ing.”

You feel your face flush. But you don’t really care what she thinks. Now that you’ve decided on a wish, you want it to come true!

“So will you make me rich?” you demand.

“Okay, fine. No big deal,” Jenna adds with a shrug. “But you have to say ‘I wish I were rich’ or else I can’t deliver the goods. It’s a primo genie rule.”

You close your eyes and cross your fingers for good luck.

“I wish I were rich,” you announce.

WHOOOOOOSH!

The room fills with a huge, white smoky cloud. You can’t see a thing until...

quote:

“Hey! Way cool!” you shout.

You gaze around your new surroundings. Can this be real? Or are you just dreaming? Your heart races with excitement. Is this where you live now? It’s a palace!

Well, at least a mansion.

You’re sitting on a fancy black leather couch in a family room the size of a gymnasium. An elegant oriental rug covers the floor. A huge-screen TV faces the couch, filling one wall. Along the other walls are three different media centers, with enough computers, video games, and electronic music equipment to fill a department store.

A butler in a black tuxedo enters the room, carrying a silver tray.

“Would you care for an after-school snack?” he asks politely. Then he bends stiffly from the waist to offer you a selection of pizzas, soft drinks, candy, and apple juice – all your favorites!

“Uh, where am I?” you ask the butler, just to make sure. “And who are you?”

quote:

The butler gives you a small smile.

“You, of course, are at home,” he answers in a formal English accent. “And I, of course, am James. In service to your family ever since you won the eighty-million-dollar lottery with that ticket your mother bought you. Are we having trouble with our memory today, if I may ask?”

“Yes. Yes, James,” you mumble, trying to take all this in.

I’m rich! you want to shout. You feel like doing cartwheels and dancing around the family room. But you don’t. James would definitely think you were nuts if you did that!

“Uh, James,” you ask instead. “Do we have a car and a driver? I want to go see my friends.”

James’s polite smile disappears. His whole face frowns.

“Oh, no, no, no, no,” he says, shaking his head quickly. “You can’t do that, I’m afraid. You can’t leave the house. It’s much too dangerous.”

quote:

“You can’t go outside,” James tells you. “I am under strict orders from your parents not to allow you out of the house.”

Is this guy for real? You’re the richest kid in the world. You should be able to do anything you want. No way are you going to stay stuck inside the house, you decide.

“Oh come on, James. I want to hang out with my friends. I won’t be gone long. And my parents never have to find out. It will be our little secret.” You flash him your best smile.

He doesn’t smile back.

“Out of the question,” he tells you. “I have my orders. I intend to follow them. And you will too.”

“Okay, fine!” Obviously, you aren’t going to get anywhere with this guy. “I’ll stay here.” Then you wave him away with your hand. “Uh, thank you, James. That will be all.”

James doesn’t move.

You let out a sigh. “Don’t worry,” you assure him. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Very good,” James answers. He gives you a quick bow, then turns and walks out of the room.

You listen to his footsteps echoing down the long hallway. As they fade away, you pop your head out the doorway.

The coast is clear.

quote:

You tiptoe along the polished marble hallway. This house is huge! You hope you don’t get lost.

You gaze down an enormous stairway and spot the front door. You glance around quickly. Good – you’re still alone. You dart down the stairs and out through the double oak doors.

Outside, you wander over to the ten-car garage where the driver is polishing a new Rolls Royce. You wonder if he has the same orders as the butler.

Only one way to find out!

quote:

“Hi,” you say to your driver. His name tag says MANNY.

You try to act casual. “Uh, Manny, can you drive me to see my friends?”

“Of course,” the driver replies politely. “Where to first?”

Great! The driver doesn’t know about your parents’ orders! You hop in the back seat before anyone else notices you.

But who should you go see? It’s a toss-up between your two best friends, Peter and Stephanie. Peter likes to hang around at the mall. Stephanie likes to play video games.

Taking Peter to the mall could be a lot of fun. Shopping is probably awesome when you’re a millionaire!

Then again, maybe you should pick up Stephanie and come back to the mansion to play video games. You saw that media center back there. It was out of control.

Stephanie’s really good at video games. And she would totally be impressed.

“Where would you like to go?” the driver asks again.

If you go to the mall with Peter, turn to PAGE 94.

If you go pick up Stephanie instead, turn to PAGE 61.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Failed to get our mom back and got saddled with 100 clones of us.

Achievements
It's the Dark Souls of Horror Books: Encountered a total of 150 bad endings.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Let's grab Stephanie and come back before James realizes we're gone

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
A girl who plays video games??

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leraika posted:

Let's grab Stephanie and come back before James realizes we're gone

Yeah!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Let’s pick up Stephanie,” you tell Manny. “We can play video games back at the house.”

“So it’s true,” Stephanie exclaims when she climbs into the car. “You’re a millionaire! How did it happen?”

“Just lucky I guess.” You don’t tell Stephanie about the genie granting your wish to be rich. She’d never believe you!

When you arrive back at your mansion, the two of you grab a tray of sodas and snacks and head into the family room. You wave at the entertainment centers lining the walls. “What do you want to play?”

Stephanie picks up the video game controller. “Mortal Revenge,” she announces. “If you dare!”

You pop the Mortal Revenge video game into the machine. It’s one of your favorites too. Pretty soon, you and Stephanie are karate-kicking your way through a street gang of bad guys.

“Great shot, Steph!” you cheer. “You’re good at this.” You grab a can of cola. All this action is making you thirsty.

“Thanks! Mortal Revenge is the coolest.” Stephanie keeps her eyes focused on the screen. “I wish it were real!”

“Me too.” You flip open a soda. “I wish we were doing this in real life.”

With a hiss, white smoke fills the room.

quote:

The smoky white gas chokes you, making it impossible to breathe. Your heart pounds as you realize what is happening.

You accidentally made a wish!

You popped open the cola can – the one with the genie in it. Then you said, “I wish we were doing this in real life.”

Bad move.

Because when the smoke clears, you find yourself standing in the middle of a dark alleyway – facing three guys dressed from head to toe in black silk. Horrible masks cover their faces. They look just like the ninjas in Mortal Revenge.

Except that they’re real!

Terrifyingly real.

And they’re heading straight toward you and Stephanie!

quote:

You glance at Stephanie. She’s frozen in place, staring at the Mortal Revenge fighters.

"AAAAAIIIIIEEEEE!"

The thug in front lets out a piercing shriek and leaps forward. With a sharp, fast kick to your jaw, he knocks you to the ground. Then he spins and moves into a new striking pose, hovering above you. The other two creeps laugh.

You rub your jaw. It stings.

“I’ll hold them off while you get away!” Stephanie cries. She bends over, grabs a garbage can lid, and hurls it at your attackers.

While they’re looking away, you scramble to your feet and see an old, abandoned warehouse nearby – a good place to hide. You dash toward the door, yank it open, and duck inside.

And come face-to-face with the most terrifying sight of your life.

Your whole body shakes as you stare at the hideous creature. A four-armed ninja fighter – with the head of a rat!

Foamy saliva drips from the rat-man’s mouth. He swings his arms wildly, holding a samurai sword in each of his four hands.

If you run back out into the street, turn to PAGE 52.

If you stay and try to fight the beast, turn to PAGE 105.

Considering Stine's usual attempts to reference pop culture and be hip with the kids, I'm surprised he knew enough about Mortal Kombat to include a Goro knock-off in this section.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This kid is so stupid that it's almost mind-boggling.

Let's fight the beast. Surely it won't put him out of his misery.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 14, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I wouldn't have known enough about Mortal Kombat to include a Goro knock-off in this section, but on the other hand it doesn't seem like we're in the right genre of video game. This seems more like Streets of Rage or something like that.

ROUND 1

FIGHT!!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You are sick with terror. But you know that your only hope of survival may be to defeat this hideous beast.

The only way out of Mortal Revenge is to win. And this rat-faced samurai looks like the guy to beat.

The rat-man advances toward you. He swings the swords in all four hands, twirling them in a figure-eight pattern. They slice through the air, making a swish-swooshing sound.

You shudder. Those swords will slice right through you just as easily.

You take your eyes off the rat-man for just an instant. You glance around the abandoned warehouse, searching for a weapon. You need something to fight him with.

But the warehouse is empty! All you see is a pile of crumbling bricks.

Hmmmmmmm.

The rat-man opens his mouth in a disgusting hiss. His razor-sharp teeth drip with foam. His eyes glow red.

You’ve got to do something. Blood is pounding in your ears. Still he comes toward you, the blades slicing through the air.

Then he pounces!

quote:

“Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh!”

You let out a scream as the rat-man leaps at you, swords swirling. You dive out of the way, toward the pile of bricks.

Ooof! Pain shoots up your leg as you fall to the floor. The rat-man is right behind you. He drops his sword and grabs at you with his four arms, sinking his teeth into your shin.

“Get off!” you shriek. You kick at him with your other leg. “Ow! Noooo!”

You kick his snout over and over, but he’s too strong. You reach your arm out and manage to grab one of the bricks lying nearby. You bring it down hard, right on the rat’s snout.

With a howl of pain, the rat-man instantly releases you and leaps to his feet. You scurry behind the pile of bricks.

The rat-man snatches up the samurai swords again.

And heads your way.

quote:

“Get back!” you yell. “Get away, you slimy creep!”

The rat-man’s swords whirl so fast they’re just a silver blur. Desperate, you pick up another brick and hurl it. It hits him smack in the gut. Hard.

“ARWOWGHH!” the rat-man cries. He drops his swords and doubles over in pain, clutching his stomach. His shoulders heave as if he’s about to be sick. He opens his mouth...

...and belches.

Gross! you think. Then you notice that something shiny has popped out of his mouth. A cola can!

Could it be your cola can? With the genie inside?

You lunge forward, grab the can, and rip off the top. White smoke pours out, then forms itself into Jenna’s shape.

“I wish –“ you start to say.

But that’s as far as you get.

“HIYAAAHHH!” the rat-man screeches. You look up – and see his swords slicing through the air. Right at your head.

Hey! How’d he pick them up so fast?

You didn’t really think you could beat a ninja rat-man, did you? The most horrifying warrior in all of Mortal Revenge?

Oh, well. Better luck next game!

THE END

To be fair, we did way better than you'd expect a terminally stupid preteen to do against a four-armed sword-wielding rat monster.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Got chopped into ribbons by the final boss of Mortal Revenge.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Go to the mall with Peter.
  • Run from the rat-man.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes