Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Alito’s opinion covers that - actually, they’re not.

Breyer's an actual jurist while the only reason Alito's the second most worthless hack to be sat on the court in living memory is because of Gorsuch

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*the second amendment wasn't written to enshrine an individual right to firearms and over two centuries of jurisprudence agreed*

"BUT SCALIA SAID IT DID" - syzygy stardust

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mdemone posted:

H-h-h-holy poo poo

Is this what we're doing in this thread these days?

I see that my earlier evaluation of that poster was right on the money.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Breyers’ dissent covers all of that. The ultimate point is they’re removing people for failure to vote which is in direct violation of the NVRA.

And they effectively nullified the power of the act, rather similar to what they did with the VRA.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Ultimately it comes down to a proof of residency. Tax records, social security records, and deployment records aren't really great proofs of residency.

Neither is sending people one piece of junk mail, in fact the false-positive rate is overwhelming, Breyer covered this in his dissent.

It is disenfranchising overseas veterans, with little if any benefit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
An ohio GiP poster and veteran was removed from the rolls for this and never got the postcard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
A question about the voter purge bit - Why does anyone care about the theoretical right of people to (a) not vote and (b) stay on the rolls?

If you aren't voting...you aren't voting?

Aside for Washington: It's amazing that that case essentially dates all the way back to the 1970s and 1980s; I never would have expected that Kennedy would be recused from any cases in the 21st century.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

A question about the voter purge bit - Why does anyone care about the theoretical right of people to (a) not vote and (b) stay on the rolls?

Aside for Washington: It's amazing that that case essentially dates all the way back to the 1970s and 1980s; I never would have expected that Kennedy would be recused from any cases in the 21st century.

Because there's no notification of voter roll removal and often times voters do not know they've been removed until they go to cast a vote and find out they cannot. Ohio, like many states, does not do same day voter registration. It's a tactic specifically used to disenfranchise voters. Sotomayor's dissent explains the way laws like Ohio's were first conceptualized during Jim Crow and how the VRA and NVRA were in direct response to states' continued shitheadedness.

And this happens fast, in the sense of election frequency. If you miss the two midterms around a presidential election and the presidential election (like say tea party wave, second obama vote, and 2014 midterms) then suddenly you were prevented from voting in the Clinton/Trump election.

You are right, though, that if people voted more this wouldn't be an issue, but at the same time we have one major party in the country working constantly to prevent people that vote against them from voting at all.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 12, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

Because sometimes that person decides to vote and are disenfranchised because they've been removed from the rolls without their knowledge, and this is not theoretical. If there were same-day registration this wouldn't be a problem, but guess what, there's not because keeping people from voting is the point.

Why should constitutional rights be use-it-or-lose-it

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ulmont posted:

Because it's a loving right? This is the literal cornerstone of democracy, and it's being stripped from people because they missed a piece of junk mail. That's without even addressing that it's legislation that very clearly has a disproportionate impact on minorities and the impoverished.

Why are you so unconcerned about this?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

News article linked by VitalSigns' posted:

The outcome will directly affect Ohio and six other states that have similar laws — Georgia, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. More than a dozen other states have indicated they would like to adopt the same system.
Holy poo poo. :smith:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ulmont posted:

We should adopt the same logic for all other rights. Don't own a firearm for a year or two? Lol, sorry, there's a long long long process to even be eligible to buy a gun. Haven't responded to government mail about your privacy? Sorry, we don't need warrants for you anymore, please apply to get those rights back. Haven't written an oped? Shucks, I guess we need to have you apply for this permit to even try to do so, free speech is only for those that use it every week. Don't want to be tortured? You should have notified us! Too late now, I suppose. Maybe next time?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

And this happens fast, in the sense of election frequency. If you miss the two midterms around a presidential election and the presidential election (like say tea party wave, second obama vote, and 2014 midterms) then suddenly you were prevented from voting in the Clinton/Trump election.

That doesn't seem fast to me. That would have been somewhere between 8 and 12 elections minimum where all a person had to do was cast a single vote to stay on the rolls. Hell, I have voted 5 times post Clinton/Trump and we're not even 2 years on.

Keeshhound posted:

Because it's a loving right? This is the literal cornerstone of democracy, and it's being stripped from people because they missed a piece of junk mail.

No. These people were not, by definition, voting. If they gave a poo poo about democracy, they would vote more than once every 8? (we know it's more than 6 based on how Ohio's process works) years.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ulmont posted:

That doesn't seem fast to me. That would have been somewhere between 8 and 12 elections minimum where all a person had to do was cast a single vote to stay on the rolls. Hell, I have voted 5 times post Clinton/Trump and we're not even 2 years on.

No. These people were not, by definition, voting. If they gave a poo poo about democracy, they would vote more than once every 8? (we know it's more than 6 based on how Ohio's process works) years.

what the gently caress is this

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Keeshhound posted:

Because it's a loving right? This is the literal cornerstone of democracy, and it's being stripped from people because they missed a piece of junk mail. That's without even addressing that it's legislation that very clearly has a disproportionate impact on minorities and the impoverished.

Why are you so unconcerned about this?

Under the Ohio law, it takes 6 years of not voting and ignoring a government request for verification to get deregistered.

In Ohio, you can check your registration status online and it takes literally 5 minutes to register.

If you're even running into these barriers, you care so little about your right to vote that I have no idea why anyone else should care on your behalf or why the government should change it's procedure to cater to you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
what the gently caress is happening in this thread :psyduck:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

An ohio GiP poster and veteran was removed from the rolls for this and never got the postcard.

The Ohio process to deregister takes years longer then an entire standard enlistment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

So we should deprive people of their right to vote to teach them a lesson about giving a poo poo about democracy. Ooooookay.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh you wanted to be secure in your person, house, papers, and effects from unreasonable search and seizure? Well if you cared about that you would have been more diligent about sorting your mail, we sent you one postcard one time maybe if it didn't get lost, and we never heard back so I guess you didn't want those constitutional rights after all!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

So we should deprive people of their right to vote to teach them a lesson about giving a poo poo about democracy. Ooooookay.

The case comes up demanding that people who do not vote stay on the rolls so they can...keep not voting. I do not see the point.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh you wanted to be secure in your person, house, papers, and effects from unreasonable search and seizure? Well if you cared about that you would have been more diligent about sorting your mail, we sent you one postcard one time maybe if it didn't get lost, and we never heard back so I guess you didn't want those constitutional rights after all!

This and the related analogies in the past few posts are both severely tortured and ignoring the existence of expiring passports, concealed carry licenses, and FCC licenses.

A closer analogy, although even there massively strained, would have been something about not locking your door for 6 years.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 12, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think this is what Great Again America looks like.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

botany posted:

what the gently caress is happening in this thread :psyduck:

And people say I'm being alarmist when I say that small reductions in rights lead to bigger infringements.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

The case comes up demanding that people who do not vote stay on the rolls so they can...keep not voting. I do not see the point.

I've already linked you a guy who wanted to vote and couldn't, he didn't want to stay on the rolls to "keep not voting", so you are just being disingenuous about the effects of this policy.

E: Also you're ignoring that since the gutting of the VRA, state governments have been notoriously finding ways to discourage people from voting, so it's also disingenuous to assume that people who aren't voting in the face of barriers to exercising the franchise "don't care about democracy"

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

ulmont posted:

Voting can be a pain in the butt. Maybe someone doesn't bother taking time off of work to vote in midterms or local elections because they live in a highly partisan district where their individual vote is unlikely to make a difference, but their vote could matter in a presidential election because they live in a swing state so they usually make the effort every four years. Well, if they missed the postcard and then something unexpectedly comes up on election day in one presidential year, then they're purged before the next one with the only additional notice being "sorry, you can't vote today, you're not registered."

Jethro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 12, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I've already linked you a guy who wanted to vote and couldn't, he didn't want to stay on the rolls to "keep not voting", so you are just being disingenuous about the effects of this policy.

I looked at your article, the Supreme Court opinion, and the 6th circuit below. The court challenges were squarely facial and do not discuss the facts of any particular individual.

The article asserts that Larry Harmon was removed from the rolls sometime before 2015, and wanted to vote in 2015, but provides no further details.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

I looked at your article, the Supreme Court opinion, and the 6th circuit below. The court challenges were squarely facial and do not discuss the facts of any particular individual.

The article asserts that Larry Harmon was removed from the rolls sometime before 2015, and wanted to vote in 2015, but provides no further details.

You weren't making an argument about the court cases, you were making a normative case that people shouldn't be allowed to vote if they don't meet some arbitrary standard of caring about democracy which includes making sure a postcard makes its way to them while they're deployed for some reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

You weren't making an argument about the court cases, you were making a normative case that people shouldn't be allowed to vote if they don't meet some arbitrary standard of caring about democracy which includes making sure a postcard makes its way to them while they're deployed for some reason.

My normative case is that it is not the end of the republic is people who don't vote are removed from the rolls, and that not voting in any election in 6 years means you don't vote. The postcard does not matter to me at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe they sat out elections cuz their state was too red and now it looks like a dem vote would make a difference? the onus should be on the state to justify purging not on the citizen having to justify their franchise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

My normative case is that it is not the end of the republic is people who don't vote are removed from the rolls, and that not voting in any election in 6 years means you don't vote. The postcard does not matter to me at all.

OK well it is literally against the law to remove people from the rolls for not voting, and you haven't been able to come up with a good reason to do it except "they suck anyway", so thanks for your dumb anti-democracy opinions.

And just lol at liberals jumping on board with GOP voter suppression of Democrats' own voter base because the desire to win elections is dwarfed by their contempt for the proles.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ulmont posted:

The franchise should only be extended to those who use it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
All constitutional rights are now use-it-or-lose-it

Take away all guns from anyone who hasn't shot it during wartime at a Tory or Loyalist in the past 10 years

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

...And if there's no election you care about for an arbitrary period of time, you lose the right to vote in one you do care about?

This is the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen in D&D or anywhere else

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

moths posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen in D&D or anywhere else

You must have missed Syzygy Stardust on the previous page saying that black people being removed from voter rolls at a higher rate than white people, is "probably related to the behaviors that also lead to lower credit ratings. Or why disenfranchisement of felons hits them harder. Not everything is a conspiracy, some groups are just better and worse at some objective criteria."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We'll teach the masses respect for democracy by arbitrarily taking away their right to vote and telling them "better luck next year, fill out all the paperwork again" when they do show up at the polls.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because there's no notification of voter roll removal and often times voters do not know they've been removed until they go to cast a vote and find out they cannot.
So if the state, say, mailed a letter to their registered address, would that be proper notification?

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is untrue. He's from Mississippi, and it's just his word that he was never notified.

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I was purged from the voter roll once without any knowledge.
Never received the card either.
Found out when I went to vote and couldn't. Couldn't vote in that election.
That election for my state representative was a draw and they literally drew straws to decide it. I would have been the deciding vote. So on a local level especially it can really make a difference. They quietly purge the rolls and hope no one notices.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/us/mississippi-house-race-comes-down-to-one-deciding-straw.html

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 12, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Given the unreliability of such notifications actually reaching voters, it is absurd to deregister them based on "well you should have got a postcard" unless you have same-day registration so they can correct the error at a polling place when they go to vote.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's no taking away of the right to vote. Current registration status is readily available in Ohio and it's a simple process to re-register. It's a sub 10 minute time investment to take care of both.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SickZip posted:

There's no taking away of the right to vote. Current registration status is readily available in Ohio and it's a simple process to re-register. It's a sub 10 minute time investment to take care of both.*

*assuming you know you were de-registered, and as Breyer covered in his dissent, it is overwhelmingly likely that people will not since they're striking many times the number of voters a year as there are people who actually move outside their country.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

moths posted:

...And if there's no election you care about for an arbitrary period of time, you lose the right to vote in one you do care about?
So this theoretical voter cares enough about an upcoming election that they're going to vote for the first time in over six years, but not enough to check that they're registered to vote? Sometimes exercising your rights requires you to make the bare minimum of contact with the government. We don't have a problem with jailing people who ignore certain government letters, after all.

Groovelord Neato posted:

*the second amendment wasn't written to enshrine an individual right to firearms and over two centuries of jurisprudence agreed*
I really want to hear about these court cases from the 18th and 19th centuries holding that there is no individual right to own a firearm.

Admiral Ray posted:

Don't own a firearm for a year or two? Lol, sorry, there's a long long long process to even be eligible to buy a gun.
This is the case for residents of New York City, but for some reason you don't think that their constitutional right is unduly burdened. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

So this theoretical voter cares enough about an upcoming election that they're going to vote for the first time in over six years, but not enough to check that they're registered to vote?

It's not theoretical it actually happened, I provided you a link to a Navy vet this happened to.

And yes, most people don't just assume that they got deregistered at some point and check months before the election just in case, they go to the polling place like they did the last time they voted.