Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

Trump says he trusts Kim Jong Un. And if he's wrong? "I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey I was wrong,'" said Trump, before adding, "I don't know that I'll ever admit that, but I'll find some kind of an excuse."

Every single day, without fail, this dude says something that I would have considered stupidly over the top in a The Onion piece back in the distant past of mid-2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A838gS8nwas

This was shown by the US Government at the summit.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A838gS8nwas

This was shown by the US Government at the summit.

I'm the buffet table when they say the words 'prosperity and innovation'.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

Trump has been trounced by a man who was considered a joke.
What does that make Trump?

The punchline

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Woke up to all this poo poo because I slept in till like 10.

gently caress. Gonna go vote in my primary today, getting really tired of this stupid poo poo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://theduffel.co/2JEpgHR

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/11/skyrim-special-edition-real-works-alexa-devices-including-phone/

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
When did this happen?
:ice:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump gonna Trump because at this point he's a donkey brained broken shell that was devoid of humanity to begin with. I've given up expecting him to do anything except fling poo poo from his diaper and break things while demanding attention.

...but gently caress me sideways is this country ever broke-brained that half the voting base just goes along with it, gleefully explaining how the patterns splattered on the wall really should be interpreted as the post-modernist masterpieces they are and it's my fault I think the country smells like poo poo now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ok that is legitimately cool.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Immanentized posted:

When did this happen?
:ice:

Yesterday in the cspam Trump thread.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hey, in all of this talk about nukes, ever wonder what would happen if Time Square got hit?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/what-a-nuclear-attack-in-new-york-would-look-like.html

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trump cancelling US/SK exercises just won him the enlisted vote.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Greece cried for 27 years until Macedonia agreed to rename itself North Macedonia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That dispute and a section of fence that’s something like 600 feet wide are the reasons Macedonia isn’t in NATO yet.

Now watch Macedonia get in and then declare that Alexander was North Macedonian.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
My usual circles here in Finland are currently going all "well gently caress Nato because you can't rely on the United States at all", even some of those who have previously supported joining.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Now I'm not a Korea-watcher but I'm pretty sure that Kim is doing all this "denuclearization" stuff because their test site got blew up accidentally and their program is at a standstill anyway until they can dig another huge hole in the ground.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Japan's gonna decide that reunification of Korea (with Japan) is in everyone's best interest.

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/1006456990795587584

Lol at I know a lot about planes. In his defense he never fails to bring a smile to my face.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The literally invisible f35

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

holocaust bloopers posted:

Trump cancelling US/SK exercises just won him the enlisted vote.

:d2a:

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

Of course there’s a loving tweet

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Have there been any analyses of this by actual diplomats or actual Korea experts yet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now I'm not a Korea-watcher but I'm pretty sure that Kim is doing all this "denuclearization" stuff because their test site got blew up accidentally and their program is at a standstill anyway until they can dig another huge hole in the ground.

You also don't really need a nuclear test site when everybody on this planet knows that you can produce working nuclear weapons.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

From my, albeit limited, understanding it’s more that the broad terms in which they are speaking doesn’t necessarily mean they are giving up what they have, just potential weapons creation or further testing. They (DPRK) have what they need to negotiate.

Rational actors don’t want to be a part of any war on the peninsula because it means trillions of dollars lost in trade. Remember RoK is the 11 biggest economy in the world, and has significant ties to China and Japan. If a war breaks out we are talking a million dead from conventional weapons alone, and closer to 3 mil if we are talking wmd included. The best course for everyone is containment, because even if DPRK turns around tomorrow and said, you know what we’re sorry let’s be friends, we don’t know what to do will millions of starving, disease ridden citizens, many of whom have received steady propaganda since the day they were born.

But lol rational actors, you hurt big daddy’s fee fees so the bombing will start in 5 minutes. At least the West might win a league of legends or Starcraft world championship.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Here, from The Economist:
https://www.economist.com/asia/2018/06/12/donald-trump-and-kim-jong-un-sign-the-blandest-of-agreements

quote:

“WE HAD a really fantastic meeting. A lot of progress. Really, very positive, I think better than anybody could have expected, top of the line, really good.” So said Donald Trump after his first meeting with Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s blood-drenched dictator, in Singapore on June 12th. Alas, a short while later North-Korea watchers realised that, as so often with Mr Trump, the rhetoric didn’t quite match the reality. The most substantial thing to come out of the summit may well have been the dark chocolate tart served at the “working lunch” which Mr Trump and Mr Kim held with their delegations after meeting face to face.

The two men signed a declaration at the end of their pow-wow resolving “to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula”. Mr Trump declared that he would provide “security guarantees” to North Korea; in return Mr Kim gave his “firm and unwavering commitment” to complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula. The two leaders also said they would hold further meetings at various levels “at the earliest possible date” to flesh out the declaration.

If anything the document is even woollier than the statement signed by Mr Kim and Moon Jae-in, South Korea’s president, after their first meeting on April 27th, during which the two Korean leaders committed themselves to achieving peace on the Korean peninsula. There is nothing in the latest screed that is specific enough to be enforceable. The hard work of turning rhetoric into substance will be left to others.

The president said Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, will meet North Korean officials next week to get this process into motion. But either leader can easily derail the détente should he lose interest in it. Negotiations with North Korea over its nuclear programme have always broken down in the past. There is no guarantee, in short, of any progress at all.

Mr Kim will be thrilled. He has now implicitly been recognised as an equal by a sitting American president, something both his father and grandfather wanted but never achieved. As he and Mr Trump shook hands, North Korean flags were flying next to America’s behind them. Mr Trump said it was an “honour” to be sitting down with the North Korean despot. Mr Kim’s observation as they walked down the corridor for their first one-on-one meeting, that many people would think they were in a fantasy “from a science-fiction movie”, rang true.

Mr Kim clearly believes this will help legitimise his rule at home. On the morning of the summit Rodong Sinmun, the North’s official newspaper, carried an enormous spread about an evening jaunt that Mr Kim took around Singapore the night before. Crowds of people had thronged around the entrance of the posh mall outside the Marina Bay Sands hotel to catch a glimpse of the North’s dictator. Even though this was only his third trip beyond the Korean peninsula since taking over from his father in 2011 (the other two being visits to China in March and May of this year), Mr Kim seemed perfectly at ease. He smiled and posed for selfies against the glittering Singapore skyline (residents had been told to leave their lights on to maximise the effect). The accompanying article said that Mr Kim would take home much “knowledge and experience” of Singapore’s development from his tour.

Moon Jae-in, South Korea’s president, did not get to travel to Singapore to parade with Mr Trump and Mr Kim, as he had apparently hoped. Still, he will be happy that his efforts to bring the pair together paid off: his office released a crop of pictures of him beaming as he watched footage of Mr Trump and Mr Kim shaking hands. China, too, will be delighted that America has been drawn into a protracted negotiation with North Korea—something that reduces the chance of war without diminishing China’s clout in the region.

For America’s national interest, however, the summit was a missed opportunity. It was something the North Koreans wanted badly, but Mr Trump seems to have got little in exchange. At a press conference after the signing ceremony, he went further than the document had, announcing that he would halt all joint military exercises with South Korea while talks were ongoing (something Mr Kim wanted badly). This was a huge concession, though Mr Trump apparently did not see it that way. It might save America money, he suggested: flying bombers to South Korea from the American airbase on Guam was “very expensive”, he said. One day, he went on, he would like to bring American troops home from the peninsula. He even borrowed the North’s language when he said that military drills were “provocative” at a time when diplomatic efforts were under way. Whatever leverage Mr Trump had over Mr Kim a few weeks ago, he has less now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Have there been any analyses of this by actual diplomats or actual Korea experts yet?

We don't have Korea experts anymore. They got pushed out by Tillerson and/or Bolton.

What we have are a bunch of Liberty University grad sycophants who's only job is to read Trump's twitter feed and support whatever it says.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh ok.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1006609720394821634?s=19

Oh ok wait what

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1006613004715216897?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hey Mike, rumors that Jesus is coming back are false. You've been living a lie :haw:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Nobody knows what the gently caress is going on, got it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Nobody knows what the gently caress is going on, got it.

Yeah, it's extremely obvious that Donny went into this summit with zero plan and zero coordination with anyone, and then agreed to everything Kim said because he's a a loving idiot bobblehead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
derparino

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1006620024092745729?s=19

Good military planning policy that we have.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The oval office daily spin meetings must feel like a vomitron

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Waiting for the ultimate culmination in what GOP voters past and present have always wanted, Donald J Trump, to "hereby declare" a full withdrawal of US forces from the peninsula, via a tweet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Jeffrey Lewis writes about this situation all the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://apnews.com/1da389a535684a5f9d0da74081c242f3?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

Now, not just happy going after illegal immigration, they want to strip US Citizenship of migrants who 'cheated'

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1006640689843560448?s=21

Jesus Christ :cripes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wow another day another... wtf.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Picking fights with long term allies and highly respected actors while sucking off the dictator of a pathetic pariah state.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CommieGIR posted:

https://apnews.com/1da389a535684a5f9d0da74081c242f3?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

Now, not just happy going after illegal immigration, they want to strip US Citizenship of migrants who 'cheated'

Willful fraud like that is enough to keep you from naturalizing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Casimir Radon posted:

Picking fights with long term allies and highly respected actors while sucking off the dictator of a pathetic pariah state.

We call this "winning" around these parts mister.

CommieGIR posted:

Like Trump's grandfather?

• Locked thread