Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sad apple is exiting the router biz, airports were good gear and I don't know what I'm going to replace mine with if it dies

sure as hell won't be a plume now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

somebody got a hardon watching meraki go to town on idiot cjs with cisco fetishes and though, why couldn't we do that to consumers?

I thought it looked a little familiar.

Can't understand why you'd go with Meraki versus Ubiquiti.

haveblue posted:

I'm sad apple is exiting the router biz, airports were good gear and I don't know what I'm going to replace mine with if it dies

Asus makes good stuff, and its a fully featured OS based on OpenWRT. All else fails, PfSense on a mini box and Ubiquiti WiFi.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 12, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*seattle mayor and city council gapes open rear end for amazon*

https://twitter.com/MayorJenny/status/1006271923209138177

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The rental scooters have made to Miami they're all over Brickell and the nicer parts of downtown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

how much do you hate yourself?

spend 10 minutes learning how to set up a mikrotik, and maybe a ubiquiti ap if you have a mansion or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I thought it looked a little familiar.

Can't understand why you'd go with Meraki versus Ubiquiti.

Asus makes good stuff, and its a fully featured OS based on OpenWRT. All else fails, PfSense on a mini box and Ubiquiti WiFi.

i have an asus, and the wifi was garbo. i got a ubiquiti ap and it's been working great, and now i'm thinking of just getting a ubuquiti router and getting rid of the asus thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

i have an asus, and the wifi was garbo. i got a ubiquiti ap and it's been working great, and now i'm thinking of just getting a ubuquiti router and getting rid of the asus thing

Fair enough. And yeah, the Ubiquiti Mini Routers are awesome, set up a couple of them at some shops I manage.

We've been happy with our Asus, but I love Ubiquiti's stuff as well.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*seattle mayor and city council gapes open rear end for amazon*

https://twitter.com/MayorJenny/status/1006271923209138177

Cowards

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

they're nice but the software controller flow is a little annoying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, it uses mongo db

and java

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just get one of the many mesh systems from established brands and don’t janitor your network gear :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

look it's really just *~the people~* who don't want these poor enormous businesses to pay $20/worker each month to fight an insane homelessness epidemic

what can they do their hands are tied

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

just get one of the many mesh systems from established brands and don’t janitor your network gear :shrug:

No.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

here in dc we get to vote on increasing minimum wage for tipped workers (by $1.50 per year up to $15 in 2025). naturally, the restaurant lobby has been pushing hard against it and has lots of servers/bartenders wearing VOTE NO buttons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ubnt ubnt ubnt

i have an edgerouter doing the routey poo poo, a bullet m2 hp strapped to a 14db patch antenna up on a pole, and a nanostation m2. all work wonderfully

(i use a mikrotik with a minipci for 5.8)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look it's really just *~the people~* who don't want these poor enormous businesses to pay $20/worker each month to fight an insane homelessness epidemic

Honestly considering the attitudes I've heard from people toward homeless in Seattle they're probably right. Its not as liberal a place as you'd think.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

here in dc we get to vote on increasing minimum wage for tipped workers (by $1.50 per year up to $15 in 2025). naturally, the restaurant lobby has been pushing hard against it and has lots of servers/bartenders wearing VOTE NO buttons

We need to talk about [the political messaging of] your flair

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can edgerouters handle gigabit? i seem to recall people complaining about that, and i want something that can handle my sick internet that doesn't actually seem to get that fast most of the time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Poor poor top 3% of businesses, what ever shall they do without a rounding error worth of taxes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

can edgerouters handle gigabit? i seem to recall people complaining about that, and i want something that can handle my sick internet that doesn't actually seem to get that fast most of the time

mm i have 100/50 cable so i dont pay too much mind, i would probably tier up one from the edgerouter if i was trying to move gig. With nat offloading flipped on, i see about 20% cpu with my upstream saturated

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

Honestly considering the attitudes I've heard from people toward homeless in Seattle they're probably right. Its not as liberal a place as you'd think.

I hear these terrible opinions a lot from people on the internet but irl I almost never hear them from people I interact with in the city itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

I think the issue was Hardware Offloading was disabled by default so you top out at 500mb, but the goal of the Edgerouter is to supply Wifi APs, which almost will never approach full duplex Gigabit speeds.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

I hear these terrible opinions a lot from people on the internet but irl I almost never hear them from people I interact with in the city itself.

Idk, I hear grumbles about it from clerks at shops, or on the bus, or from coworkers, or on nextdoor (lol nextdoor is awful)... Everyone notices that homelessness is steadily getting worse, so of course their reaction is to stop trying to help at all.

One person I talked to claimed it would only fund temporary (instead of permanent subsidized housing), but I can't find a source for that. Even people who supported the idea were concerned about where the money was going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

some people at comcast and charter started laughing and don't know why

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

tag urself

i'm problematic blogging

my goals are v. problematic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tech writer will smith has been complaining about bird sending him signup emails for the past several days because he apparently doesn't knwo what a loving email filter is
https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/1006591842723364864

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/davidshepardson/status/1006593252299018241

tech...buble?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
bird's in the wrong there, filtering isn't the right answer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it's in bird's best interest to not encourage journalists to filter *@bird.com so you'd think they'd do something about it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Well, kind of. Tesla's not a good indicator of the tech bubble, because its being badly managed and run into the ground through over-promise and under-delivery by Musk.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Well, kind of. Tesla's not a good indicator of the tech bubble, because its being badly managed and run into the ground through over-promise and under-delivery by Musk.

counterpoint:

quote:

Shares of Tesla (TSLA) rose 6% Tuesday after KeyBanc analyst Brad Erickson said in a report that he expects Tesla to deliver 30,000 Model 3 cars in the second quarter, and nearly 120,000 for the full year.

Erickson previously said he expected deliveries of 20,000 Model 3s this quarter and about 100,000 for all of 2018.

Tesla's stock is now up more than 40% from the 52-week low it hit back in April. And shares are just 10% from their all-time highs.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1006597562156003328

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 12, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

also, it uses mongo db

and java

ya i havent had problems with the mac version but the linux one really sucks because 32 bit mongodb lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

Idk, I hear grumbles about it from clerks at shops, or on the bus, or from coworkers, or on nextdoor (lol nextdoor is awful)... Everyone notices that homelessness is steadily getting worse, so of course their reaction is to stop trying to help at all.

One person I talked to claimed it would only fund temporary (instead of permanent subsidized housing), but I can't find a source for that. Even people who supported the idea were concerned about where the money was going.

Maybe it's more widespread than I thought. It's definitely getting worse, the city keeps getting more expensive and no one is really building much affordable housing. Let's just continue to wish away our problems I guess.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PokeJoe posted:

Maybe it's more widespread than I thought. It's definitely getting worse, the city keeps getting more expensive and no one is really building much affordable housing. Let's just continue to wish away our problems I guess.

what else would you do, raise taxes? lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

bird's in the wrong there, filtering isn't the right answer

haveblue posted:

yeah it's in bird's best interest to not encourage journalists to filter *@bird.com so you'd think they'd do something about it
while you, of course, are both correct, at the end of the day, if they don't care enough to fix it, he shouldn't care enough to not filter their garbage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shame on him if he doesnt just request a new password & hijack the account.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

journalists bitching on twitter is probably the fastest way to get them to care

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we flew past my favorite benedict tweet in that YOSPOS involved thread

https://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/893924868537761792

we've moved from car analogies to computer analogies for cars :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

we flew past my favorite benedict tweet in that YOSPOS involved thread

https://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/893924868537761792

we've moved from car analogies to computer analogies for cars :allears:

i love how all these magic traffic flow fixes ignore the fact it requires every car on the road to be autonomous to work and i'm sure the people driving a beater between their 3 minimum wage jobs are just gonna jump right on that bandwagon