Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eat your heart out. And your liver too. Kidneys though, you can keep those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I do appreciate the bonus features, CJacobs.

I do.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So since the amygdalas are always hanging around, it seems, does that mean that the "peculiar Yharnam madness" that was referenced in an item I don't remember (phrase just stuck with me), is the peculiar result of constantly having elder gods breathing down your neck?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It probably doesn't help! But neither does the sheer frenzied lust for human blood that many Yharnamites display. I mean, consider how dysfunctional Yharnam society has been portrayed as even without the malignant flavor of elder god around?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the implication with the meat werewolves - that's just how werewolves in this world work. They don't transform like in American Werewolf in London where bits all stretch and squish, no the whole body just reassembles itself. You need a tail? gently caress it, graft your leg on there, it's not a leg anymore anyway. You're mouth isn't long enough for a snout? How about we just put your ribcage there, that'll jut out enough. It's just a magical patch job, the only reason they look canine in the first place is the human brain just looks at that and puts a nice little filter over it, going "There, that's better..."

Basically you are the world worst Lego set.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Aren't those just supposed to be byproduct of whatever horrible cosmic ritual took place in yahargul?

I thought they looked like that explicitly because they had werewolf'd due to the beast plague, and then were unlucky enough to be in the general area of the ritual

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mortons stork posted:

Aren't those just supposed to be byproduct of whatever horrible cosmic ritual took place in yahargul?

I thought they looked like that explicitly because they had werewolf'd due to the beast plague, and then were unlucky enough to be in the general area of the ritual

I was just guessing. That was the impression I'd got, that's all.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So am I. I don't think it's referenced anywhere, I'm just putting together info from my own and Cjacobs' knowledge

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just thought it was like the Insight thing - similarly to seeing just how many Amygdalas there really were, now the veil is lifted and we are seeing the monsters for what they truly are. That was my logic anyway.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

BioEnchanted posted:

I just thought it was like the Insight thing - similarly to seeing just how many Amygdalas there really were, now the veil is lifted and we are seeing the monsters for what they truly are. That was my logic anyway.

I agree with your logic. Both work, but I prefer the interpretation they’ve always looked like that, we’re just only now admitting it to ourselves. It’s darker and grislier.

Another theory could be that these wearwolves were practice runs leading up to the one reborn. With the caskets being their first experiment successes. An escalation in application. First you make your materials move, next you learn to mold them like meat clay, finally you rent an exhibition space and put on a display of your finest long pork pottery. They should have left it in the kiln for a while longer, seems a little... undercooked.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I figure the meat werewolves are a particular monstrous degeneration.

I mean, remember, beasts are actually part of the true nature of men.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The meat werewolves have always been to me just a bunch of corpses stitched together like The One Reborn. They’re not actually beasts by game logic either as far as I remember, they don’t take additional damage from serrated weapons.

The Cramped Caskets are a by product, all the bodies and bones of unnecessary or failed experiments shoved into mass graves. No wonder they’re pissed.

Interestingly Cramped Caskets show up in the Chalice Dungeons, as do the bell-ringing women as noted by CJacobs. As do the Snatchers, which leads me to the belief that Yahar’gul has been infiltrated by the denizens of the Pthumerian Chalice Dungeons for their own purposes, which will come up soon.

Basically though Yahar’gul is not a natural transformation in any sense of the world, it’s a horror show made by mankind reaching for an eldritch truth.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 13, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or they're using the same rituals as Pthumeru.
Each type of of chalice dungeon has it's own aesthetic and Pthumeru's all about people doing and instigating weird poo poo with blood and old ones. Their downfall was probably not the beast plague but everyone going bugfuck insane from or consumed in all the eldritch fuckery they did.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Or they're using the same rituals as Pthumeru.
Each type of of chalice dungeon has it's own aesthetic and Pthumeru's all about people doing and instigating weird poo poo with blood and old ones. Their downfall was probably not the beast plague but everyone going bugfuck insane from or consumed in all the eldritch fuckery they did.

It's also not entirely clear that Pthumerians are strictly human; their faces and features are wasted and hollow, with black eyes, and their noses are often withered or even absent. Their "primordial" state may be closer to the Great Ones than contemporary Bloodborne vampire-humans.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Any particular reason to keeping your strength and skill so low? At the same level in my first and only playthrough i was at 40 str and just over 25 skill with way less health. Adding on more health just didn't seem to help that much when eventually enemies are basically "avoid perfectly or get stunlocked to death" anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I usually don't start upgrading my STR or SKL until pretty late in the game, because Bloodborne's weapon scaling system sort of encourages you to do so. Weapons pretty much universally (with a few exceptions) start with C or below scaling in all of their scaling stats, so until you get some hefty upgrades into them, they don't really benefit much. There's not much functional difference between killing an enemy in 4 hits or 5 in this game, compared to say Dark Souls, where every extra hit tacks on a lot of time to the fight.

And also pumping VIT means I have more room for error and will have to do less editing around deaths :downs:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
For LP purposes, it may be a good idea to not upgrade stats too much that aren't always used anyway. For non LP purposes though, it may be worth noting that upgrading a damage scaling stat from 10 to 25 will point for point give you slightly more than twice as much return as upgrading from 25 to 50 will. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I don't think the scaling doubles when upgrading the weapon. So, going for 25 somewhat early and than waiting until late game to take it to 50 may be an idea.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I usually don't start upgrading my STR or SKL until pretty late in the game, because Bloodborne's weapon scaling system sort of encourages you to do so. Weapons pretty much universally (with a few exceptions) start with C or below scaling in all of their scaling stats, so until you get some hefty upgrades into them, they don't really benefit much. There's not much functional difference between killing an enemy in 4 hits or 5 in this game, compared to say Dark Souls, where every extra hit tacks on a lot of time to the fight.

And also pumping VIT means I have more room for error and will have to do less editing around deaths :downs:

I don't know, it seemed to me when I played Bloodborne that health didn't really matter when most late-game enemies are capable of killing you in 3-4 hits regardless of how much you pump your Vitality stat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CJacobs posted:

OK. I only ask because you said most of the hunters are hard and unfun, but I found them all pretty easy to mow down with viscerals, but viscerals scale with skill.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
When it comes to hunters, their (often) high defenses likely means that additional attack is extra helpful. The way all soulsborne games work is that the more defense an enemy has, the more impact some extra attack has. Raising your attack by 20% may increase your actual damage by 25% against an enemy with a rather low defense, but with a whopping 50% if the enemy has a high defense. While there are exceptions to that rule, in general this is how it works. I'm not 100% sure on visceral attacks, but if they also run trough the defense formulas like other attacks, then skill is extremely useful on hunters, even more so than on most other monsters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

At high skill levels you can indeed visceral hunter enemies from anywhere between 30-100% of their health, which is especially relevant in the Chalice Dungeons because they have a lot of bastard variants down there. Including the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst in all his glory.

That’s fun the first time it happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Don't let your babies grow up to be gribblies.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
One of the things I like about the Upper Cathedral Ward is that like Yahar'gul, you get the distinct impression that something horrible has just happened here and you just missed it. The petrified and charred corpse locked in a Making Contact gesture to the moonlit sky, the corpses everywhere, and the eerie music all combine to give a sense of your picking through the aftermath.

On the other hand, that's arguably sort of the problem with Bloodborne - you really are not sure how much your actions make a difference beyond personal survival. Sure, the beasts may fan out into the surrounding countryside; it's known they exist outside of Yharnam itself. But you're never really sure why you're doing what you're doing or entirely what's at stake.

Which, well... that's often how one feels, in a dream, so is it a problem, or a feature?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 28, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno; I think it's all right that it seems your actions don't seem to be making much of a difference most of the time. it makes those time when you DO gently caress poo poo up (both good and bad) seem more dramatic, cf: Rom the Vacuous Spider. It also emphasizes that as badass as your Hunter is, they're still one measly human being trying to hold back cosmic powers that were ancient when ink on the laws of gravity were still wet.

And it also handily ties in to your Hunter- they came for a cure for their disease, and they might have harboured some thoughts of turning things around when Yharnam was still just werewolves and lunatics running the asylum. However, now that the lunatics have become the asylum (literally, in some cases), it's perfectly understandable that the Hunter's almost run out of fucks to give and just wants to get out with a cure.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
My first exposure to Bloodborne was via Slowbeef's LP, so for me the Make Contact gesture will always be known as the "Llllloser!" gesture. :v:

I can't remember if they ever worked out what - if anything - that gesture did. I only remember them trying it on lots of things - i.e. calling lots of things losers. I'll be curious to see if it does anything. The way you get it is certainly ominous.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

My first exposure to Bloodborne was via Slowbeef's LP, so for me the Make Contact gesture will always be known as the "Llllloser!" gesture. :v:

"Hey, wanna see something cool? I call it the Kirkhammer! :grin:"

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Antistar01 posted:

Oh, phew, I'm not the only one! :hf:

But yea- this is a fun area, in terms of atmosphere and hidden enemies (drat brainsuckers... swear, they seemed to jump me each and every time, insight sucking bastards. And the little jazz hands and the very distinctive belch they make afterwards is just insult to injury). It just feels wrong, like you shouldn't actually be there... which of course you shouldn't, given the key and the hidden entrance of the Altar of Despair.

It is interesting that your Hunter, after all she's seen and done, is still willing to lay down her arms and show mercy at the end of this video. Interesting... and welcome, given who the praying figure is and what is implied to have happened to them. Thank you. :unsmith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gribblies :)

Whenever I play Dead Space I can never not call swarmers gribblies now. That's your fault CJacobs.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Yet more fun stuff to point out!

1. Beasts tend to come from the streets, while Kin tend to appear in Church facilities. Maybe Kin are attracted to Insight?

2. Amygdala don't count as Kin, so there's definitely proof of Great Ones that aren't Kin.

3. The Celestial Emissary actually seems to come from a mushroom, not a flower. It's hard to say what connection the flowers have to Kin, but we know they're at least associated with the dream.

4. The wolves with blue eyes probably got them from eating Kin, feeding on their blood.

5. Kin look kind of aquatic, which fits with the Great Lake rune taken at the start.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

5. Kin look kind of aquatic, which fits with the Great Lake rune taken at the start.
Could just be the Lovecraft, though. Man must have really disliked seafood.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's fairly obvious that Kin like Insight, considering that the mind flayers literally suck it out of you.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's fairly obvious that Kin like Insight, considering that the mind flayers literally suck it out of you.

It's just as likely that the Brainsuckers are former humans who became Kin to better gorge themselves on Insight; no other Kin drains Insight, so it's impossible to tell which is the truth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And we're back. Sorry about that, I came down with some anemia problems but after a visit to my doctor and some medicine that made me very tired all the time, I'm feeling well enough to work on LP stuff again! So it's time to get back on schedule with a nice liesurely trip through whatever comes after The One Reborn. Right?

...Right?

...Uh oh.

Count the number of times I call something crazy, nuts, insane, or a nightmare in this episode and win a special prize!*

* The prize is knowledge that which man was never meant to know, sorry

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Glad you feel better!

The Hunter's Nightmare is one of the few really justified asset reuse situations, because that's how nightmares and dreams work, right? They stitch together bits and pieces of places you've been, often without rhyme or reason, warped and exaggerated. I never noticed the false Oedon Chapel wasn't properly located though.

The Old Hunters are so much better as Hunter-type enemies than the weaksauce "like you, but with maxxed stats" - a lot like Gascoigne, they're more "here's the basic concept of a humanoid character, with weapons you can use, but their model, and behaviors are distinct from the PC's and they have the stats of a monster rather than an NPC." The ones without red eyes are also much easier to handle.

And oh man, the Beast Cutter. I love that murder-slab so much. There's a feeling of power to it that is present in relatively few other weapons. And it's absolutely worth the early game run into the Hunter's Nightmare if you want a STR version of the Threaded Cane - just run in, grab the Cutter, rush out. Anything else is bonus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Speculation based on what we've seen:

This place seems like a reverse Valhalla for hunters. You get to fight beasts forever with sweet trick weapons, but they aren't very threatening, and cower from you.

"It looks a bit like a chicken leg." What kind of chickens have you been eating, CJacobs?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 18, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The rocks in the Nightmare look like old lava flows.

And the sky looks like clouds after an eruption

Just as Pthumeru was covered up by Yarnham, the Nightmare shows Yarnham sinking beneath the earth. The Hunters lost, the Dream never ended. It's over.

All that remains is an eternity of fighting beasts with no victory ever possible. A nightmare for any hunter.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 18, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ye gods, another playthrough just to show off some weapons? You spoil us, CJ! :neckbeard:

I really do like the Hunter's Nightmare; it's a well-designed area that makes excellent use of existing assets, and as frustrating as it is to navigate (seriously, that cave hunter can go die in a fire, and did in my playthrough, as I was using the flamethrower), it's worth it for the... implications about the world that you find.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I kind of like the cave from a design standpoint. It's a little mini-Old Yharnam. You fight male and female beast patients, there's a man with a gatling gun who's a pain, and at the end there's a blood-starved beast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That cave existing also has some interesting implications as to the nature of this Hunter’s Nightmare that I will get into after the whole DLC is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

resurgam40 posted:

Ye gods, another playthrough just to show off some weapons? You spoil us, CJ! :neckbeard:

Yeah, this but more seriously, especially with all the medical poo poo CJacobs has got going on. :stare: And yeah, the asset re-use here isn't as 'noticeable' (for lack of a better phrase) or detrimental as the case usually is. Wish I could say more about the story, but quite frankly other posters said it better.