Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Would Bethesda let us crowdfund the salary of a decent writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

I don't even think Bethesda has mastered games inside their comfort zone yet

their beautiful buggy messes built on the shambling corpse of gamebryo should be considered its own genre imo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Donovan Trip posted:

Van Buren is the best FO game

Star Citizen is the best FO game b/c at least, for a fleeting moment, it looked cool

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

buglord posted:

Would Bethesda let us crowdfund the salary of a decent writer

I think Kirkbride only accepts cocaine as valid currency.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Jack B Nimble posted:

12 million people bought fallout 4 on launch day, and while most people on this aging pc forum have played since the first game, I've got bad news for anyone overestimating their position as custodian of the pure essence of what makes a real fallout game. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I just don't think if you come from 4 to 76 it's going to be all that jarring, after all they toned the rpg elements way, way down already. I honestly don't even think my various characters in 4 are all that different mechanically, they tend to get the same skills every time because there's not much there. More like the rpg elements of Prey than Morrowind.

Seeing as present sales numbers for Fallout 4 in TOTAL is somewhere on the good side of 13 million, are you claiming that Fallout 4 sold 90%+ of all of it's sales, in a week.

I'm gonna need some sources there, that doesn't sound right.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it shipped 12 million launch day, which means those copies were 'bought', just not necessarily by consumers.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Enjoy this empty, post-apocalyptic wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_oWZSqhMY

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

TheSwizzler posted:

Pete Hines Tweet:

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/1006544156414566400

So, looks like there may be a PvP challenge system? That'd solve the griefing problem, but would take a lot of the fun/paranoia out for people who want to go full on PvP

This tweet proves they haven't thought any of this through.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this uh *squints at hand* tweet uh *consults 'slap in the face' post generator* proves uh Todd Howard is a raging moron

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

This tweet proves they haven't thought any of this through.

Pete baffled at the idea of gamers griefing other players in a mp game is 👍👍👍

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm the posters itt whose last multiplayer experience was getting farmed by burning crusade era multiboxers in wow BGs and think this is still a thing

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Donovan Trip posted:

Pete baffled at the idea of gamers griefing other players in a mp game is 👍👍👍

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, you're saying people can be jerks in online games? Oh yeah we definitely thought of that. Our plans to stop that are at Bill's house, and Fred's house!"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm the posters itt whose last multiplayer experience was getting farmed by burning crusade era multiboxers in wow BGs and think this is still a thing

I have no idea what any of this means

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 2 is somehow more broken than any Beth game.

Daggerfall motherfucker (and both where fun as hell to play back in the day)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Pete Hines is apparently now saying on Twitch that the PvP system involves getting ganked by someone once and being able to opt-out of future interactions.

...what?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go out of my way to get ganked by everyone on the server and then play solo after that :c00lbutt:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They can still destroy your settlement either way though right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's why you make your settlement in a cave or bunker idiot

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this uh *squints at hand* tweet uh *consults 'slap in the face' post generator* proves uh Todd Howard is a raging moron

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

2 more posts and i'll have all the launch codes for a nuclear meltdown

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

bethesda tries to take a stab at a game out of their comfort zone and people go rabid

they could have trivially made an ark clone without dragging fallout into it and people would have been a lot less rabid. base it on rage and it might even make some sense.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

*vault door opens, outside the screams of former vault dwellers nearly drown out the constant booming of falling nukes*

:stonk:

*closes vault door, asks the overseer if this pip boy model can run red menace*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

JFC posted:

Playing this with goons guarantees a settlement shaped like a cock.

Funnel the enemies into a chokepoint and fill them with our hot lead/laser/explosive seed

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I hope they add the "White Thing"

quote:

Also known as the White Creature, this monster of the mountains that rise along the lower Kanawha Valley has been described as being as large as a bear though shaped liked a dog. Its saber-like fangs extend from a ravenous mouth, and the beast is covered in filthy white, woolly fur. It first entered the annals of folklore in 1965 in the book “The Telltale Lilac Bush and Other West Virginia Ghost Tales,” a collection of stories compiled by Ruth Ann Musick. A folklorist, Musick proposed that such beasts appeared to be both phantom and physical.

Those books are good little short stories on West Virginia folklore and I loved reading them as a kid.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I no joke look forward to hiding my camp. But I knoe that's not a solution for people who want to build monuments and don't want some rando to dr. Strange love their pyramids.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zelder posted:

2 more posts and i'll have all the launch codes for a nuclear meltdown

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sorry you'll need to kill your neighbors if you want the last two fragments

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I no joke look forward to hiding my camp.

You can always tell a Milford man.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

sorry you'll need to kill your neighbors if you want the last two fragments

fallout 76: kill you're neighbors

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Azhais posted:

they could have trivially made an ark clone without dragging fallout into it and people would have been a lot less rabid. base it on rage and it might even make some sense.

maybe... but this way is far more fun for people who can keep a healthy detachment.

think about it, us fun-havers get to have a fun game and maybe post once a week. you guys gotta be all dedicated about this poo poo, like every day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean, jury's still hugely out on the fun game part.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I no joke look forward to hiding my camp.

According to an interview done with IGN, that may not be possible - Todd himself mentioned that people show up on a map so that you can more easily find each other in such a vast world (as each server is limited to 'dozens' of players). So it sounds like you'll have a bullseye tapped to your back from day one.

Still getting mixed messages about the exact nature of PvP in this game so who knows how much of an issue it will be.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I mean, jury's still hugely out on the fun game part.

That's fair. I like Bethesda jankiness and that's even more fun to me, conceptually at least, with a few friends that share my gleeful retardation. If they haven't nailed down the shooting that's the only thing I could see really ruining it for me, it's gotta feel as good to play as destiny or doom does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more I think about it, the more this Bethesda E3 conference really sucked. Last year was great with the promise of every game announced coming out within the year and New Colossus stealing the show.

This year we've got a Fallout game with horrendously out of date visuals covered up by an ENB filter, a card game, and Elder Scrolls on your iPhone. And then a bunch of trailers for new games that we won't get to see more of until Quake-Con.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Obviously PVP entails that if you are killed by another hostile player, you can then indict that player so they can hunted by members of the Darkmoon Brotherhood

It's all pretty standard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frajaq posted:

bethesda tries to take a stab at a game out of their comfort zone and people go rabid

If you're going to take a stab out of your comfort zone I would suggest that it might be more productive to stab something other than caesar.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
who is Caesar in this scenario? people keep saying poo poo like 'battle royale' who have apparently never even seen pubg but then they also keep saying poo poo like 'ark' which i was not even aware was a game people actually loving played. 'persistent shared world multiplayer' is not as crowded a design space as people are pretending and almost all of the games that are in it are neglected Steam: Early Access alphas.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bert Roberge posted:

Enjoy this empty, post-apocalyptic wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_oWZSqhMY

Wow, that's like the carnivals from when I was a kid. I loved those clunky haunted house rides. :corsair:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I finally got Fallout 4 since Fred Meyer was clearing out old video game stock for super cheap, and it came with a Fallout 3 download code which I already have. My Fallout 4 is Xbox One so I assume this is for the same, or maybe a 360 as well. It doesn't have a expiration date listed, but it is an older game so hopefully it works for someone!

PJHC7-KM9J4-VCJJG-6KJQ6-MPTFZ

Hey thanks! I'm looking forward to playing this again! The code worked like a charm.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheSwizzler posted:

Pete Hines is apparently now saying on Twitch that the PvP system involves getting ganked by someone once and being able to opt-out of future interactions.

...what?

Jesus. What's so hard about just having PvP and PvE servers? I don't want to deal with people trying to challenge me, and I can't imagine people who actually want to play PvP are going to be happy if their challenges are ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I for one can't wait for 76. Not because I want to play it because it's probably dogshit, but because I want to see just how many things they will overlook and how badly this is gonna turn out.

Honestly, if there's anyone who could gently caress up an online game worse than Ubisoft, it's Bethesda.