Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They did specifically say that it altered all the logs and recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And it seems exceedingly likely that the Mass Divers have a guy on the inside.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The side story manga will be Gundam Build Divers Break, featuring Gundam Turning Break

'Shining Break' actually, because it's based on Shining Gundam.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'm disappointed the Game Master isn't a GM.

The suits also forgot to tell them they are just rolling out the new microtransaction content. They are still debugging it.

(Break decal guy might actually be an actual employee)

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm disappointed the Game Master isn't a GM.

The suits also forgot to tell them they are just rolling out the new microtransaction content. They are still debugging it.

(Break decal guy might actually be an actual employee)

The most evil character. Microtransactions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zodack posted:

You misunderstand, I totally get the cultural side of things - what is bonkers is the idea that they have no proof inside an MMO. Game logs and admin tools exist in mmos. You don't need an admin spying on you to catch you doing anything, you just extract a game log or recording. They even turn purple and just talk about how they're using illegal break decals. Is there no report abuse function to just summon the GM? Can other players not capture footage? Why can't the GM just look at the game logs from the illicit meeting and determine the exact PC trying to sell decals? "My word against theirs", except you are paying a game in a reality where the GM can control, record, and modify most aspects of it to catch you.

It's all a bit silly and I know I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief but every time an anime gets set in an MMO things like this happen. I had fun this episode.

The discussion with the GM hits this stuff. The Break Decals are somehow papering over their interference and leaving no trace. The champ even specifically brings up Stea(a Break Decal being used in a huge public place with tons of witnesses/potential victims) and Rommel's squad getting wrecked(a high profile squad getting annihilated by nobodies with video footage of what happened) and is told that all of the logs and footage have been analyzed and no explicit proof of wrongdoing has been found. Kyoya and Rommel talk about it and wonder if the guy making the decals somehow has access to the central program of the game because it doesn't make sense how he can make hacks that hide themselves so perfectly.

Either Caped Crusader has friends on the inside, is an employee of the GBN company himself, or is some kind of super hacker, basically.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

Either Caped Crusader has friends on the inside, is an employee of the GBN company himself, or is some kind of super hacker, basically.

Since this is an MMO anime, my money's on the third one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Since this is an MMO anime, my money's on the third one.

Further, Sunrise can't paint the Bandai stand-in company who runs GBN and sells model kits in-universe as being bad in any way since that would impact real-world sales. So, nefarious employees required for the first two scenarios are out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Further, Sunrise can't paint the Bandai stand-in company who runs GBN and sells model kits in-universe as being bad in any way since that would impact real-world sales. So, nefarious employees required for the first two scenarios are out.

Is this where I mention that PPSE's CEO was the main villain of Gundam Build Fighters?

I'm as fond of making GBS threads on Divers as the next guy, but the precedent on this one doesn't say Bandai's stand-in's going to be full of plastic saints.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Is this where I mention that PPSE's CEO was the main villain of Gundam Build Fighters?

I'm as fond of making GBS threads on Divers as the next guy, but the precedent on this one doesn't say Bandai's stand-in's going to be full of plastic saints.

Not to mention the lesser enjoyed try island wars involving Bandai stand in company going "oops! You tournament winners need to kill our sentient gunpla".

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kanos posted:

The discussion with the GM hits this stuff. The Break Decals are somehow papering over their interference and leaving no trace. The champ even specifically brings up Stea(a Break Decal being used in a huge public place with tons of witnesses/potential victims) and Rommel's squad getting wrecked(a high profile squad getting annihilated by nobodies with video footage of what happened) and is told that all of the logs and footage have been analyzed and no explicit proof of wrongdoing has been found. Kyoya and Rommel talk about it and wonder if the guy making the decals somehow has access to the central program of the game because it doesn't make sense how he can make hacks that hide themselves so perfectly.

Yeah, time to put my foot in my mouth. I went back through that segment and not only did they explicitly mention logs and a report function, they even showed the GM's perspective of the video footage with the Break Decal effect conspicuously absent. They did cover their bases - I shouldn't have been AFKing in an actual MMO while watching this episode, apparently.

Super hacker seems to be the play but I feel like since our villain is going to lengths to hide his or her identity it would be a nice twist if it were someone in administration. These kinds of technical exploits would make a lot more sense coming from someone with access to the game code.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sazabi posted:

The most evil character. Microtransactions.

The big reveal is that Break Decals are meant to keep the system unstable to the point of microtransactions being unfeasible. Ties into the rogue guy on the inside.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I wasn't too sold on the last episode but this one I legitimately enjoyed. Age II Magnum was pretty badass and the NT-D/funnel reference with Ayame was completely on point.

Also everyone who hoped Ayame's SD would transform into a real type, I guess you got your wish even though the episode went on to accidentally point out how it didn't thematically make much sense.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How long is the series going to go? I originally had the impression it was going to be 23-26ish, but right now it seems like it could be more like 13?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

How long is the series going to go? I originally had the impression it was going to be 23-26ish, but right now it seems like it could be more like 13?

I'd wager it's gonna finish out the Break Decal arc and then do a Tournament one for a second cour, considering the others have been 26-episode runs.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

They just announced the 2nd cour theme song, so three more months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Also everyone who hoped Ayame's SD would transform into a real type, I guess you got your wish even though the episode went on to accidentally point out how it didn't thematically make much sense.

You mean aside from the fact that it showed that even she had abandoned her beloved former Force's philosophy of only using SD Gundams?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As a fighting game fan, I can relate to the frustration of picking characters you like and then getting blown up as you move up the ranks.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the fact that it showed that even she had abandoned her beloved former Force's philosophy of only using SD Gundams?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to phrase your opinion as a question.

Anyway, I just felt that abandoning the SD philosophy didn't make much sense if her original incentive for working for the big bad was to retrieve the SD of Friendship.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
A whole lot of people who don't care about GBN seem very willing to play it.

And what is up with people being unable to lose without an emotional break down. Their rank would have dropped until they started getting matched with teams they could beat, reaching equilibrium with wins and loses. I know that hooded guy is going to explain how the game is a lie because of the most childish reason. At next week might be the end of the break decals plot.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Sazabi posted:

And what is up with people being unable to lose without an emotional break down. Their rank would have dropped until they started getting matched with teams they could beat, reaching equilibrium with wins and loses. I know that hooded guy is going to explain how the game is a lie because of the most childish reason. At next week might be the end of the break decals plot.

I took it as implied that he was rigging their matches against them considering they even failed PvE missions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Major gaming guilds have been known to implode over insanely petty things.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Luminaflare posted:

I took it as implied that he was rigging their matches against them considering they even failed PvE missions.

That would actually be really smart and I hope it turns out to be true.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is this worth catching up on? I only watched the first episode, then got caught up in other things.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this worth catching up on? I only watched the first episode, then got caught up in other things.

It's had one good ep out of all 11. Most of the fights are really bland. And nearly every character is grating or poorly written. Watch at your own risk or if you like making fun of things like MST3K. Mech designs are good at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Better or worse than Try?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

PMush Perfect posted:

Better or worse than Try?

A lot worse. I was ok with Try. Not good not in love. Just ok with it. Some good fight choreograhpy was in Try.

Divers wouldn't be watched if it wasn't Gundam.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is... not a high bar. Well, guess I'll just put that time into rewatching GBF when I get the itch. Thanks, goons. Someone PM me if it suddenly turns around right at the end or something, it wouldn't be unheard of.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

PMush Perfect posted:

That is... not a high bar. Well, guess I'll just put that time into rewatching GBF when I get the itch. Thanks, goons. Someone PM me if it suddenly turns around right at the end or something, it wouldn't be unheard of.

I'd say come back in two weeks to see if they finish the first plot and just do a simple tournament arch. That's the only way I see it getting watchable.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sazabi has been pretty critical of the show throughout it's run and in my opinion, overly harsh.

It's a decent show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Divers is extremely kids show, with all of the flaws inherent. I think it will probably end up better than Try because we at least have some prior introduction to and investment in the ostensible tournament opponents.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

A lot worse. I was ok with Try. Not good not in love. Just ok with it. Some good fight choreograhpy was in Try.

Divers wouldn't be watched if it wasn't Gundam.

At this point, I'm honestly curious why you're still watching it, since you've had almost nothing positive to say throughout the show's entire run. It's okay to not watch shows you're not enjoying!

Monaghan posted:

Sazabi has been pretty critical of the show throughout it's run and in my opinion, overly harsh.

It's a decent show.

Yeah, I've enjoyed Divers substantially more than Try so far. It's not up to the bar of GBF yet, but it's found its feet for the most part since they've gotten over the worst part of it in my opinion(the incessant explanations of MMO mechanics) and is an okay watch that I look forward to each week.

The best part of the show is that in the team battles we've seen so far(only three, unfortunately), they've really put some time and effort into structuring the fights so everyone is an important part of the team and tactics are being used. The downside is that team battles haven't been a big focus yet because the plot has been following the hacker stuff so heavily, but it looks like we might be coming to a conclusion on that.

chumbler posted:

Divers is extremely kids show, with all of the flaws inherent. I think it will probably end up better than Try because we at least have some prior introduction to and investment in the ostensible tournament opponents.

This is a big difference, honestly. They've actually tried to put time and effort into developing a cast of rivals and opponents and given the characters some history with them already, which means when they inevitably get to the tournament fighting the fights will actually have that weight and heft. Remember when Try had the Zaku team in the goddam opening despite them getting less than half a dozen lines combined in the entire show and jobbing out almost immediately in the two fights they had? No? That's because you probably don't remember the Zaku team existing.

If the back half of the show is the tournament arc everyone is anticipating, I'm quite excited. I've been very impressed with the team fights in this show so far, from a choreography standpoint. Even the interrupted one against team Hyakki featured the team attempting to execute a strategy for a specific purpose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's a decent show.

I dropped it at episode 7. Some of the in-jokes were decent, and the fight in that one was fine, but the leads are pretty much the worst. Just the most nothing characters I could imagine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to phrase your opinion as a question.

Anyway, I just felt that abandoning the SD philosophy didn't make much sense if her original incentive for working for the big bad was to retrieve the SD of Friendship.

That’s the point. She’s lost touch with her motives and is just drifting through life on the verge of total burnout. I actually kind of liked how it felt like she didn’t need convincing so much as she needed someone to speak the right words to give her an excuse. She’d basically already switched sides by the time Riku opened his mouth.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As someone who has played MMOs pretty heavily since the MUD days back in the 90s, Ayame's backstory is extremely on point and accurate to how MMO guilds fall apart, to the point where I'm positive the writing staff has personal MMO experience.

It's really easy to keep an MMO guild together as long as you're riding a string of consistent successes, and it's really hard to keep it together when things start to go off the rails and you begin spinning your wheels. People start thinking about quitting the game because it's not fun to lose over and over, or jumping ship to more successful guilds. People start infighting and bickering and trying to blame something for the recent lack of success(our new healer sucks, so and so is a garbage tank, i'm tired of carrying X's lovely DPS spec), which makes things worse, which further encourages people to drift away, and the downward spiral continues. If you're a player who still loves the game(as Ayame obviously does), this can be a pretty terrible scenario for you, because you're still enjoying the game but you enjoy it a lot more when you're playing it with your friends and now all your friends are leaving or falling out with each other.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think i would bother recommending the show since it doesn't get over the big writing issues until 1/3 of the way in, and there's not enough character or action stuff before that point to make it worth sticking out. even now we still have the blandest protagonists ever, they're just being carried by the overarching plot having momentum thanks to the strong supporting cast.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

dogsicle posted:

i don't think i would bother recommending the show since it doesn't get over the big writing issues until 1/3 of the way in, and there's not enough character or action stuff before that point to make it worth sticking out. even now we still have the blandest protagonists ever, they're just being carried by the overarching plot having momentum thanks to the strong supporting cast.

This is a fair assessment. Honestly, even if you were interested in watching it you could probably safely skip like the first 6 or 7 episodes and not really miss out on anything because before the supporting cast starts falling into place there's just not a lot going on and any of the actually relevant stuff is covered in flashbacks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watching this latest episode, this show might have benefited a lot just from making Ayame the perspective character from the beginning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Just watch the preview fight between the champ and Rommel. That's the best 10 minutes in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I picked this up again for the Break Decal finale but after this episode wherein I found myself skipping around and rolling my eyes, I'm out but will monitor this thread for nuggets if they happen. I couldn't bring myself to care for a single thing that happened this week. The fight wasn't even good. At least Ayame's Gunpla has a cool design for both the SD and HG models.

I honestly cannot believe it's been eleven entire episodes. Not trying to be a hater, I just absolutely loved Build Fighters, suffered through Try and kept telling myself this time they'd figure out what they did wrong. For me, right now, this is even worse than Try.

• Locked thread