Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wugga posted:

I for one can't wait for 76. Not because I want to play it because it's probably dogshit, but because I want to see just how many things they will overlook and how badly this is gonna turn out.

Honestly, if there's anyone who could gently caress up an online game worse than Ubisoft, it's Bethesda.

That's the spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

sorry you'll need to kill your neighbors if you want the last two fragments

They play very loud grime rap at 3 AM so I'm already on it. What do I do in the game in the meantime

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wugga posted:

I for one can't wait for 76. Not because I want to play it because it's probably dogshit, but because I want to see just how many things they will overlook and how badly this is gonna turn out.

Honestly, if there's anyone who could gently caress up an online game worse than Ubisoft, it's Bethesda.

That same issue will 100% be in fallout 76, and is the main reason I don't play with companions. I've died so many times in fallout 4 due to companions just standing in a doorway and refusing to move resulting in me getting blown up by whatever it is I was trying to avoid.

Gonna be way worse when its a griefer instead of just incompetent ai doing it accidentally

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not the case in TES Online so I doubt it will be in Fallout Online I Mean 76

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't blame anyone for being concerned about the game going from being a story-driven RPG to an online MMO-style game where there isn't really going to be much of a story, and it's going to be more about playing with others and running into creatures. It's straying heavily from what made the series popular in more of a way than the transition into 3D did.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Bethesda's idea of subtlety: allow players to fire nuclear warheads in a game that's based on a series about the repercussions of nuclear war. This is some mindblowing stuff.

Oh wait, it's actually nucular warheads according to Todd Howard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

J-Spot posted:

Jesus. What's so hard about just having PvP and PvE servers? I don't want to deal with people trying to challenge me, and I can't imagine people who actually want to play PvP are going to be happy if their challenges are ignored.
They're trying to tailor a specific experience. It would make sense if the game started as a Fallout themed multiplayer game w/ some Fallout gameplay, instead of a Fallout game w/ multiplayer added (which it sort of sounds like, but this is speculation).

Arcsquad12 posted:

a Fallout game with horrendously out of date visuals covered up by an ENB filter
Gross hyperbole.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't blame anyone for being concerned about the game going from being a story-driven RPG to an online MMO-style game where there isn't really going to be much of a story, and it's going to be more about playing with others and running into creatures. It's straying heavily from what made the series popular in more of a way than the transition into 3D did.

That isn't a certainty. Tbf, Bethesda has lead the release of 3 and 4 by talking first about the main quest. Which, both times, has been received poorly (I thought they were painfully boring). Conceptually the story here is more compelling as it's an attempt to really tie the story to the mechanics of the game (rebuilding America, but oh wait people suck and war never changes)

I mean I could be wrong but I highly doubt they'll strip out story telling and quests and NPCs completely. The focus just seems more on the little stories in the game world without too strict of a big overarching plotline about finding your dad or finding your son.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wugga posted:

Oh wait, it's actually nucular warheads according to Todd Howard.

Todd W Bush

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Donovan Trip posted:

That's fair. I like Bethesda jankiness and that's even more fun to me, conceptually at least, with a few friends that share my gleeful retardation. If they haven't nailed down the shooting that's the only thing I could see really ruining it for me, it's gotta feel as good to play as destiny or doom does.

Boy have I got bad news for you

You may wanna put your expectations more towards ''F4 combat but with such bad lag you'll think you're playing on your buddy's CounterStrike server in 2002"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Boy have I got bad news for you

You may wanna put your expectations more towards ''F4 combat but with such bad lag you'll think you're playing on your buddy's CounterStrike server in 2002"

What I'm saying is as speculative as what you're saying, why so negative though? 🙃

And I did play on that buddy's counter strike server, and we had fun

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this thread is hilarious because its super loving obvious they have no loving clue about pvp(except thats the only thing in the game) or private servers(they aren't in the game) and are just saying what they need to get people to pre-order so the game doesn't tank

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this thread is hilarious because its super loving obvious they have no loving clue about pvp or private servers and are just saying what they need to get people to pre-order so the game doesn't tank

The day of the announcement that guy from Kotaku said they were still making big changes in development, so I think they were already getting some kind of feedback that the initial plan was going to piss a lot of people off. Even before Todd Howard started trying to walk things back by suggesting there could be more options post launch, this looked like the kind of game that's going to get a "please come back, we've fixed it!" update down the line.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So has there been any mention of microtransactions so far? Because boy howdy that would seal the deal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wugga posted:

So has there been any mention of microtransactions so far? Because boy howdy that would seal the deal.

Please look forward to it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Here's me a year and a half ago predicting Bethesda's next game would deemphasize the narrative and be more radiant driven. (Of course I got a bunch wrong, and didn't think they'd risk exposing their core IPs to the experiment.)

I'm thinking Bethesda's next game might be a something that pushes their Radiant philosophy to its logical conclusion. FO4 diluted its scripted content and had very little nonlinearity, but expanded the player's ability to craft what they want (gave them a better reason to scavenge and collect junk) and even build buildings. Radiant quests were abundant. It's all about creating an emergent playground, where plot and character motivation are secondary to interacting with the game world through emergent systems. And to be frank, a lot of the time that's what I want out of these games. It's the unexpected that's exciting. It's survival mode, and all the things that distract you from your "quest". The story you tell is much more interesting than Bethesda's, and those linear bits usually feel like they interfere with it more than anything (on repeat runs).

So I'm obviously projecting here, but I think a game where procedural gameplay and (maybe) world design is the core tenet, is the natural evolution of Beth's direction. Like imagine FO4 but with an alternate beginning mod on by default. Maybe some of the areas can swap places. Sometimes D is a synth, sometimes C is (procedural narrative is probably ambitious). etc etc. It'd probably have to be a new IP, to amenable to this sort of global flexibility. It would obviously be difficult, require radical rethinking of their design mantras, and I don't trust Bethesda could pull it off on the first try.

The thing this gives Bethesda is infinite longevity in a game without multiplayer.

Todd Howard announcing that the next TES is a long way's away and that they're workng on other interesting projects in the meantime (or whatever the quote was) is what got me thinking. Just randomly musing.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Wugga posted:

You get one free respawn per day. Subsequent ones cost $0.99.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Why are people so bent out of shape about Fallout: Minecraft?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's pretty fascinating to find a corner of the internet where people are still mad about horse armor

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Donovan Trip posted:

That isn't a certainty. Tbf, Bethesda has lead the release of 3 and 4 by talking first about the main quest. Which, both times, has been received poorly (I thought they were painfully boring). Conceptually the story here is more compelling as it's an attempt to really tie the story to the mechanics of the game (rebuilding America, but oh wait people suck and war never changes)

I mean I could be wrong but I highly doubt they'll strip out story telling and quests and NPCs completely. The focus just seems more on the little stories in the game world without too strict of a big overarching plotline about finding your dad or finding your son.

Maybe not NPCs completely, but we've had Todd Howard specifically rule out human NPCs. The only NPCs in the game will be robots.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is an interesting interview with Hines and the commentators speculation on the radio stations is ❤️ https://youtu.be/fDx90KUgbcc

I'm way on board with people adopting the roles in the wasteland. If they can make that work, awesome.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there are very obviously enemy controlled hostiles, what are you talking about?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

They mean characters you can interact with outside combat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wugga posted:

I all but guarantee you "Modding" is just gonna be whatever the new edition of the creation club will be.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Generally people who aren't massive pedants use the term "NPC" to mean people with whom you can interact with in a role-playing, non-hostile capacity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am becoming interested in the potential of the game. i can picture on the pc having severs that dont have player limits and people have big dumb faction bases and wars. it looks great if you can find good people to play with.

Donovan Trip posted:

This is an interesting interview with Hines and the commentators speculation on the radio stations is ❤️ https://youtu.be/fDx90KUgbcc

I'm way on board with people adopting the roles in the wasteland. If they can make that work, awesome.

yeah, like making little base based societies around towns and poo poo. get some dickhead walking dead saviors type operation going and sending out patrols to kill ghouls and dragon bats.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Every developer's fever dream of online games involves people working together and making society. That literally never happens with weedlord bonerhitler around

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8PTAJ2Hjs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Azhais posted:

Every developer's fever dream of online games involves people working together and making society. That literally never happens with weedlord bonerhitler around

no poo poo. i think you need a happy medium between random violence and griefing and weird shut-in RP severs in garrys mod where there are 200,000,000 rules and all punishments are bans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I won't be preordering this now. Don't know that I'll buy it at a because I don't have any faith that they can change gears enough to produce a satisfying singleplayer experience by November. Also I felt kind of let down by 4 after the 5 years in between games.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you have reservations, wait for a sale. If it's not a relatively friendly experience for the huge chunk of their fanbase that prefers singleplayer experiences, they'll be panic fixing it from day one, and there will be sales to try to spike interest.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Azhais posted:

It's really not that crazy. It depends how they ride the balance of people you want to play with and people you don't. Small servers where there's more incentive to work together than NOT work together, building teams from that, that already works in a lot of games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

It's really not that crazy. It depends how they ride the balance of people you want to play with and people you don't. Small servers where there's more incentive to work together than NOT work together, building teams from that, that already works in a lot of games.

has there been any word on server persistence? If you log out, and log back in the next day, will it be the same server? The same population (of those that are online)? If a person's offline will their structures remain online?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sinteres posted:

If you have reservations, wait for a sale. If it's not a relatively friendly experience for the huge chunk of their fanbase that prefers singleplayer experiences, they'll be panic fixing it from day one, and there will be sales to try to spike interest.

I have no intention of going anywhere near it til I see what their private servers/modding solution actually is. If this is, as the current information would support, basically just another small server survival simulator like ark/conan/rust with no actual non-customer created content besides farming for resources, then it's a hard pass. Played those, sick of em, at this point they're just low effort cash grabs. Maybe Bethesda will do it better, but I'm not hopeful given their history.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

has there been any word on server persistence? If you log out, and log back in the next day, will it be the same server? The same population (of those that are online)? If a person's offline will their structures remain online?

I think your C.A.M.P. device goes with you when you get off. I think. You can definitely set it up and break down your camp during playing. That could make up some of the drama Howard mentioned, if you really like a certain area and someone else in the small server wants it as well.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
this poo poo is gonna be worse than far cry primal ):

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I must be living in an opposite reality because the more they reveal about this game the more exited I get!

Clearly I hate fallout. Any true fan wants this to go away.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SeaWolf posted:

Clearly I hate fallout. Any true fan wants this to go away.

Why stoop to this kind of crap?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Donovan Trip posted:

I think your C.A.M.P. device goes with you when you get off. I think. You can definitely set it up and break down your camp during playing. That could make up some of the drama Howard mentioned, if you really like a certain area and someone else in the small server wants it as well.

When you log off your camp goes with you. In the event that you log back in and your camp and a camp belonging to another person occupy the same space you just carry yours around until you find a new spot for it. They go into some details about this in the noclip documentary.

This IGN interview also goes into some additional detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJ9X496oeY

It's fun watching how the features change over the course of a few days as more and more people keep bitching about what they know about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Why stoop to this kind of crap?

it's not like there's a shortage of people in this thread who will tell you you're enjoying things wrong