Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Count Roland posted:

Handless bridge? I can't imagine doing bridges with my hands, how would they even help?

You're bridging on your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Count Roland posted:

Handless bridge? I can't imagine doing bridges with my hands, how would they even help?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're bridging on your head.

Oh ok. My bridges are also with my arms up, but shoulders down.

That's... certainly a way to get a stronger neck.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You can also use a swiss ball to work your way up to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiaO8-QJs3s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man, banning knee reaps is really frustrating since its an easy way for me to escape mount. I am flexible enough to get my legs around the hips of a mounting opponent and push them off, but its banned because it apparently requires you to cross the leg over like a knee reap

sadness

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Why is it banned?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

because russians were winning medals and the IBJJF are garbage

if you can make a bit of space, you can still get to single leg x without breaking that rule

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man, banning knee reaps is really frustrating since its an easy way for me to escape mount. I am flexible enough to get my legs around the hips of a mounting opponent and push them off, but its banned because it apparently requires you to cross the leg over like a knee reap

sadness

You can post your foot under one of their armpits from under mount and use that to create space.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old.flv posted:

You can post your foot under one of their armpits from under mount and use that to create space.

Well yeah but I am not talking about creating space. I mean I can literally push a guy from mount to his guard with my legs.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The only Youtube video on the technique I've seen described that mounted-to-on-top-in-guard move as the goathook escape. It was my lazy I'm Too Tired For This mount escape hack, but almost every time I did it to someone who wasn't as bad or worse than me it wasn't very effective. Eventually I tried it on an instructor who effortlessly trapped my leg against my chest and popped something in my hip. That was over 2 years ago and it's still an ongoing issue, so that's one move I won't ever be trying again.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got my 4th stripe on my blue belt today. Still entirely unready to become a purple belt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Skjorte posted:

The only Youtube video on the technique I've seen described that mounted-to-on-top-in-guard move as the goathook escape. It was my lazy I'm Too Tired For This mount escape hack, but almost every time I did it to someone who wasn't as bad or worse than me it wasn't very effective. Eventually I tried it on an instructor who effortlessly trapped my leg against my chest and popped something in my hip. That was over 2 years ago and it's still an ongoing issue, so that's one move I won't ever be trying again.

Yeah what I did was not quite the goathook because I went for pushing back instead of rolling. Unfortunately I am pretty sure the goathook would also not work since it still cross the leg like a knee reap.

I've realized have crazy flexible legs and some of the guys have started commenting on it. I've caught dudes in head leg scissors when they have me in side control. When we stretch out I can do a butterfly stretch where my knees and nose both touch the mat. What I am trying to do now is figure out ways to use it that don't break the rules.

JaySB posted:

Got my 4th stripe on my blue belt today. Still entirely unready to become a purple belt.

Congrats

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

You never feel ready. :ssh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Congrats!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Good job. I hope one day to feel as not ready as you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Really dumb question

Since doing BJJ I have noticed that my elbows crack like knuckles if I flex my triceps hard enough. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Really dumb question

Since doing BJJ I have noticed that my elbows crack like knuckles if I flex my triceps hard enough. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Yeah mine do that, but I'm one of those people that all my joints crack really easily. The elbow thing started with jiu jitsu though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

Yeah mine do that, but I'm one of those people that all my joints crack really easily. The elbow thing started with jiu jitsu though

Yeah same, like I can crack knees, ankles, knuckles, neck, back, etc. but elbow just started with bjj

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Jeff Glover retired from competition. That bums me out for two reasons: He was one of my favorites to watch, and he's my age so it makes me feel old.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Jeff Glover retired from competition. That bums me out for two reasons: He was one of my favorites to watch, and he's my age so it makes me feel old.

He's got a school and he's pretty focused on teaching but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out of retirement once or twice.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Super dumb question, does anyone know a good way to get a dual colored bjj gi? I already have two full color gis, but want to eventually get a white kimono/black pants combo in tribute to my Hapkido instructor from back in the day

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Buy a black gi?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
buy 2 gis and mix and match?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah I figured that was the choice, has anyone tried any Gis from your jiu jitsu gear? I like the idea of a completely plain gi but they are also kind of cheaply priced

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
Hey guys - quick question -

Does anyone here know of any gyms that do Disabled BJJ? Over the last year I've lost use of my legs but still have a big urge to compete. If it's MS, my doc says I could probably get healthy enough to compete in grapple sports again. But is this a thing?

I've done a good deal of googling and found single events, but not a disabled league or anything like that.

Oh, I'm near Portland if it matters.

Hope you guys are still kicking rear end!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Does anyone here know of any gyms that do Disabled BJJ? Over the last year I've lost use of my legs but still have a big urge to compete. If it's MS, my doc says I could probably get healthy enough to compete in grapple sports again. But is this a thing?

I've done a good deal of googling and found single events, but not a disabled league or anything like that.

I've never heard of Disabled BJJ as a separate discipline. I'd just go to a regular BJJ gym that seems appealing and talk to the instructor. I'd not thought about this before, but BJJ really is a great sport for people with disabilities, and I don't think you'd have a hard time fitting in or taking most of the classes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah i think bjj is the perfect sport for working within your own personal limitations. poo poo danaher is basically disabled at this point and he still gets about it. i'd just let your coach and teammates know and just do what you can.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I've never heard of Disabled BJJ as a separate discipline. I'd just go to a regular BJJ gym that seems appealing and talk to the instructor. I'd not thought about this before, but BJJ really is a great sport for people with disabilities, and I don't think you'd have a hard time fitting in or taking most of the classes.

About a year ago I was in talks to go train with Team Quest for a single fight and continue if it went well. (It wouldn't have)

I think I'll start there and check around. I just wanted to ask the Goon Think Tank if there was something particular to look out for. I appreciate it!

Edit : Was Danaher injured by a motorcycle? Can't remember.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

About a year ago I was in talks to go train with Team Quest for a single fight and continue if it went well. (It wouldn't have)

An MMA fight?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Stephan Kesting was researching this recently. He called it "Adaptive grappling". He was crowdsourcing reddit for information about events and leagues.

My personal thoughts are that you would need a good teacher. Not a specific person, just somebody so good that they can look at the same sport and all the same moves that they've been doing for decades and they can shift their mindset to approach it from a completely new perspective and create a new set of fundamentals for you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

An MMA fight?

Yep. I wanted to wrap up my athletic career with a pro fight against a can and ride off into the sunset. It's wasn't a big deal to me having competed in Muay Thai and tiny rear end BJJ tourneys before. But I didn't think my legs would gently caress off like they have.

Looks like with the right coach, I could actually earn some belts in a few years. Sounds like fun and way better than just giving in to disability.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Given your propensity to injury I really wouldn't recommend competing. I have, however, rolled with a purple belt who was a paraplegic.

I'd really like to see you be able to keep up your grapple journey but I'm afraid you may do it at the detriment to your long term health.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

JaySB posted:

Given your propensity to injury I really wouldn't recommend competing. I have, however, rolled with a purple belt who was a paraplegic.

I'd really like to see you be able to keep up your grapple journey but I'm afraid you may do it at the detriment to your long term health.

I hear you, man. It's 100% going to be a doctor's call. It looks like my proclivity for injuries may have been this mystery condition all along. Which makes sense, I guess.

Although I like to appear totally gung ho in the threads, I wouldn't step on a mat unless a doctor told me I could hold together.

It probably won't be in this subforum, but if I'm proper boned I'm going to try and get a DDP Yoga thread going.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Super dumb question, does anyone know a good way to get a dual colored bjj gi? I already have two full color gis, but want to eventually get a white kimono/black pants combo in tribute to my Hapkido instructor from back in the day

Not dumb at all.

I've always liked to have bit of flair to my clothes. Go find a local tailor.

You might have to get two gis and have her/him mix and match the parts you want.

Or you could find a local embroidery shop (with the CnC computer embroidery machine) and you can get all sizes/colors of stuff on your gi.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Captain Log posted:

Check your local gym. My gym has more than a couple of folks with disabilities at least as "restrictive" as yours. Go for it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I'll let you guys know how it all works out. A test in being run on the 20th that should pin down what's wrong and let me know my abilities going forward.

(I'm putting this in parentheses because I'd rather never talk about it again. Last year, I had a medicine give me severe aphasia (word soup) and insomnia and this very thread is where I noticed a problem. I'm sorry for going crazy. It shouldn't ever happen again. Now may we please never speak of it again!)

If it's bad news, I'll let you know when I get to the DDP yoga.

By the way, do we have any new black or brown belts?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had one of those days on the mat where I could see my own progress in a very measurable way. Feels good to know that my 10-12h of mat time/week is paying off.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CommonShore posted:

I had one of those days on the mat where I could see my own progress in a very measurable way. Feels good to know that my 10-12h of mat time/week is paying off.

awesome, it's good to be on the up of the curve :)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Not dumb at all.

I've always liked to have bit of flair to my clothes. Go find a local tailor.

You might have to get two gis and have her/him mix and match the parts you want.

Or you could find a local embroidery shop (with the CnC computer embroidery machine) and you can get all sizes/colors of stuff on your gi.

It never occured to me you can get your gi tailored. There is a guy near my work I will check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I keep getting black eyes. Second one in as many weeks. This one is so bad it's leaking into my sclera, turning my eye all bloodshot. Very professional looking at work.