Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1006637810479255552

I feel like the AOL-Time Warner actually happening was a lynchpin of a lot of late 80s-90s cyberpunk dystopias, so now we have a merger worse than AOL-TW would have been, and it's happening for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Instead of woodworking, kids will learn real life skills like how to treat the various bullet wounds that they’re likely to encounter in their lives

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

after that bit with brad parsquale talking about how they got multiple facebook employees to work at the trump campaign office and they made sure to set them up with loyal trumpists, has there been any blowback from facebook employees who are similarly shocked that the evil company they work for is not actually as woke as they've been bullshitting

Probably not, between it being standard for any major ad campaign to have an embedded team of account managers who personally like what you're selling and the Clinton campaign's refusal of an equivalent group when offered.

It should ring plenty of alarm bells among people inclined to believe we may someday want primary insurgents or third parties, for the same reason as every other "it's fair and nonpartisan because all major-party nominees get it" perk, but odds are they already peaced out of Facebook's ad sales department a long time ago.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Agnosticnixie posted:

I feel like the AOL-Time Warner actually happening was a lynchpin of a lot of late 80s-90s cyberpunk dystopias, so now we have a merger worse than AOL-TW would have been, and it's happening for real

missed the real gem:

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1006638924020830209

lmfao at a loving judge saying "your exercising of a basic judicial concept might impede the thing you think is illegal and if you do that you're bad"

buddy the whole point of lawsuits is trolling, the money is secondary

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Look at this fat gently caress, AT&T probably bought him off with Golden Corral coupons

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Caganer posted:

missed the real gem:

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1006638924020830209

lmfao at a loving judge saying "your exercising of a basic judicial concept might impede the thing you think is illegal and if you do that you're bad"

buddy the whole point of lawsuits is trolling, the money is secondary

I think the fact that this was his real concern is worse: "damaging to the faith of America’s shareholders and business community."

Like the horror of a government agency not being buddybuddy with corporates.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

evidence to support this claim?

this is important. I put “retweeted by @GreatDismal” on my résumé.

look at his timeline at all, he's mad about the North Korea talk for example.

like he retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/markos/status/1006583879656865793

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
eh, that doesn’t make him a shitlib imo

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

HEY NONG MAN posted:

eh, that doesn’t make him a shitlib imo

He also rts garbage by David Frum so he's definitely kinda there.

IMO Gibson turning out to be a liberal is actually not far from the way post cold war Invicible Neoliberalism paved the way for cyberpunk to turn into post-cyberpunk: let's pretend the villains of cyberpunk are actually heroic randian innovators

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
was thinking about getting a shel silversteiin book to read to my daughter i remember them being fun as a kid

:yikes:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i wish there was a second internet or some sort of fora with which people could discuss their views on things

oh well

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
this is the future liberals want

no absolute viewpoints

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
also :thejoke:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Food Boner posted:

was thinking about getting a shel silversteiin book to read to my daughter i remember them being fun as a kid

:yikes:
wait does Wikipedia really say The Giving Tree is about an S/M relationship

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/jhGRpN0.gifv

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah, okay. gently caress this. Where do I get off?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wait does Wikipedia really say The Giving Tree is about an S/M relationship

Kinda

"Critics of the book say that the boy never thanks the tree for its gifts. An editor with Harper & Row was quoted as saying that the book is "about a sadomasochistic relationship" and that it "elevates masochism to the level of a good."

Basically depending on how you read the dynamics it's either an example of a mother's selfless unconsitional love or an abusive one-sided friend relationship.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

one weird trick to get out of a relationship

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Ignore the ring and it's like the phone is flipping her off

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Kinda

"Critics of the book say that the boy never thanks the tree for its gifts. An editor with Harper & Row was quoted as saying that the book is "about a sadomasochistic relationship" and that it "elevates masochism to the level of a good."

Basically depending on how you read the dynamics it's either an example of a mother's selfless unconsitional love or an abusive one-sided friend relationship.

i dont think anyones arguing that the boy isn't an absolute poo poo, but isnt it more a parable about how humans treat nature/the earth in a totally exploitative way than gender norms and weird interpersonal relationships

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Food Boner posted:

i dont think anyones arguing that the boy isn't an absolute poo poo, but isnt it more a parable about how humans treat nature/the earth in a totally exploitative way than gender norms and weird interpersonal relationships

So the gendering is just totally coincidental and happens to dovetail with society's roles for women/men?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

poopinmymouth posted:

So the gendering is just totally coincidental and happens to dovetail with society's roles for women/men?

When the Maori kids are loving trees in the piano are the trees male or female

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

mother earth imagery

also women tend to be more nuturing and less exploitative/stupid than men

woukd the same parable come through with gender reversals i dunno ill leave it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Atrocious Joe posted:

sadly, Gibson is a shitlib

What the living gently caress is a shitlib?

And how does this tie into living in the shitties possible cyberpunk dystopia?

And how the gently caress do I work for a company that hires goons to chase off the homeless, one of whom I saw apparently ODing while I walked by and did nothing?

And most importantly, is GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future supposed to be bad?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk why did you walk by someone ODing and did nothing?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poopinmymouth posted:

is there a single culture today or in history that doesn't anthromorphize the earth as female. Literally everyone I can think of does

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Remulak posted:

What the living gently caress is a shitlib?

And how does this tie into living in the shitties possible cyberpunk dystopia?

And how the gently caress do I work for a company that hires goons to chase off the homeless, one of whom I saw apparently ODing while I walked by and did nothing?

And most importantly, is GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future supposed to be bad?

so the security officer was OD’ing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Larry Parrish posted:

is there a single culture today or in history that doesn't anthromorphize the earth as female. Literally everyone I can think of does

Egyptian gods Geb (earth, male) and Nut (sky, female) were loving

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i always imagined the giving tree as an old man, but i guess i can see why people have different takes

my thought on the story was that it showed that the man was rapacious and gratuitous, while the tree was the selfless hero sacrificing for others

it taught me that the man was bad and i felt bad about how he took everything from the tree. when i imagined myself in that story i would be different from the man, and more like the tree, willing to sacrifice for the good of others

those seem like good lessons and the story seems to have come across as intended :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah but the pronoun in the book for the tree is she/her. it’s a lady tree.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

yeah but the pronoun in the book for the tree is she/her. it’s a lady tree.

oh ok. haven't read it in a while i'm illiterate

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I honestly only know because I read it to my kid at least once a week.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read it as a kid and didn't read anything about Gender Norms into it but uh, I grew up thinking they didn't exist because I didn't know anybody who fit them outside of advertisments, so

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

i always imagined the giving tree as an old man, but i guess i can see why people have different takes

my thought on the story was that it showed that the man was rapacious and gratuitous, while the tree was the selfless hero sacrificing for others

it taught me that the man was bad and i felt bad about how he took everything from the tree. when i imagined myself in that story i would be different from the man, and more like the tree, willing to sacrifice for the good of others

those seem like good lessons and the story seems to have come across as intended :shrug:

this is my point

make it gender neutral if it matters to you but thats sort of ingrained inti the narrative Silverstein aint a punk he knows whats up

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
to me its incredibly dystopian to dismiss an instructive lesson because it superficially doesnt adhere to your particular worldview

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Egyptian gods Geb (earth, male) and Nut (sky, female) were loving

obelisks were built as Geb's dick so he could gently caress the sky harder

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Agnosticnixie posted:

it owns that on the very rare occasion the Trump administration tries to do something decent (even if for the wrong reasons, i.e. making GBS threads on CNN) it gets cockblocked by our instutitions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's been in court 20 months so...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

obelisks were built as Geb's dick so he could gently caress the sky harder

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Jose posted:

That's been in court 20 months so...

Yea but if it was a lawsuit against say the Trump Organization he woulda dropped like it an ex-wife