Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So should I invest in individual Philips Hue bulbs, or get one smart switch to control a bunch of regular LED bulbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Switch, IMO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

enraged_camel posted:

So should I invest in individual Philips Hue bulbs, or get one smart switch to control a bunch of regular LED bulbs?

After having Hue bulbs for about a month and messing around with putting them in various places around my house, IMO if you have a use case where color temperature shifting or full RGB are desirable get smart bulbs. If you just want automated switching or dimming, get a switch or dimmer.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Switch, definitely. Unless, as wolrah said, you really want color changing bulbs and also, consider how often you'll use said color changing after the novelty wears off (in my case, I decided that would be "never").

Two things to be aware of with switches:
1) If you don't have a neutral wire going to your switches (common in older construction), you'll almost certainly have to use the Lutron Caseta line. If your house is new-ish construction with a neutral wire, that opens the field to things like the Leviton ones as well.
2) They can be quite picky about which bulbs work and which don't. I tried about three bulbs with my Caseta system before I found one that powered on, didn't flicker, and actually turned fully off when the switch was turned off since the switch uses a trickle current to power the internal radio.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Switches, because that provides visitors/you with a physical interface for whenever you don’t want to have to whip out your phone without having to buy Philips remotes and stick them on your walls (and then add a switch cover to your existing switch so it can’t be turned off and prevent you from turning the bulb on remotely.)

Smart bulbs are basically a bad idea unless you have to have color, or absolutely aren’t willing to gently caress around with even a basic home automation system.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or lamps plugged into multi-use outlets.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

1) If you don't have a neutral wire going to your switches (common in older construction), you'll almost certainly have to use the Lutron Caseta line. If your house is new-ish construction with a neutral wire, that opens the field to things like the Leviton ones as well.

Is there a way to find out without unscrewing each and every switch and looking at the wiring?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way to find out without unscrewing each and every switch and looking at the wiring?

Nope!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FCKGW posted:

I need to be able to set the timer without pulling out my phone or if my in laws want to use it. I still want to turn it on and off if I’m sitting in bed though.

This is for a whole house fan so it gets used irregularly and for different lengths of time depending on how hot it is.

You can use a scene controller with a different time scripted to each button. The Enerwave ZWN-SC7 used to be a cheap option, but its been discontinued.

Speaking of: if anyone has a clue on how to use scene controllers with Home Assistant, I'm really tired of having these things in my wall and useless since switching to HA.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

FCKGW posted:

I need to be able to set the timer without pulling out my phone or if my in laws want to use it. I still want to turn it on and off if I’m sitting in bed though.

This is for a whole house fan so it gets used irregularly and for different lengths of time depending on how hot it is.

If you're using home-assistant and a basic smart switch you could completely automate the fan based on inside temp, outside temp, whether someone is home or not, really any combination of factors that you can think of - and still be able to turn it on and off manually at the switch.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Humerus posted:

So what does it mean if I tell my Google Home to turn on/off lights and it tells me that it can't reach Smartthings, but I can use the Smartthings app to turn them on and off? Does something need to be rebooted?

Assuming the LED on the hub is green, try "Hey Google, sync my lights" and see if it starts working. If not, you may need to disconnect/reconnect SmartThings in the Assistant/Home settings.

Other options include a SmartThings API outage (most lights run locally now, so your phone will always work assuming the hub hasn't poo poo a brick), some weird transient Google issue, or your hub losing its cloud connection (in which case the LED would be blue).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 8, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n.. posted:

If you're using home-assistant and a basic smart switch you could completely automate the fan based on inside temp, outside temp, whether someone is home or not, really any combination of factors that you can think of - and still be able to turn it on and off manually at the switch.

The problem with completely automating a whole house fan is that you need the windows open for it to work properly and you don't want it running when the A/C is going because it will send all your cold air into the attic.

The scene controller someone posted about seems like it might do the trick.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Ah, I don't live in a part of the country where whole house fans are a thing and assumed they'd have some sort of automatic vents that open when it's on. Not running it while the AC is going is something that can be handled by the home automation controller though. The scene controller idea would definitely work, just pointing out that there's a bunch of possibilities in making it a 'smart' timer without necessarily needing the button panel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

enraged_camel posted:

I've had Hue for a few years now and the novelty of color lights still have not worn off for me.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Neat is having a 50 dollar off their awesome cameras. I have 3 outdoor cameras and an indoor. I can provide a link if someone wants it

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Please.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using the Xiaomi Gateway and their sensors? Especially in combination with OpenHAB? Does it work well together?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone here have an HVAC system with zone-control? I'm wondering how they play with thermostats such as Ecobee or Nest.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm currently looking for automating the lights, and a solution to integrate with mechanical switches are those tiny wall switches, like from Fibaro. They however all seem to require a neutral wire. What does that mean exactly? It needs two wires so it stays powered, or strictly a neutral for reasons? The apartment I'm living in here in Belgium has 230V three phase without neutral. Will that work regardless?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Anyone here have an HVAC system with zone-control? I'm wondering how they play with thermostats such as Ecobee or Nest.

They don't, as far as I am aware.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ecobee always has, I believe.

https://www.ecobee.com/2010/07/ecobee-and-zone-control/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

In my case, overhead lights are on smart switches, lamps are on Hues. Best of both.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Until a guest needs to turn on a lamp!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Homeseer Switches... I just explain that they have to double tap twice.

No faster than that...

No you have to wait before trying again...

You know what, I'll just do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

They just use the lamp switch? Hue bulbs turn on full brightness when power first comes on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They just use the lamp switch? Hue bulbs turn on full brightness when power first comes on.

At the default colour temperature, right? What's the point of a Hue if it goes back to default every time you turn it on?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I feel like there's a market out there for retrofit/replacement lamp sockets that add smart features as well as retaining the standard "twist to turn on" switch.

There's an abundance of smart switches that sit between the wall and the lamp's power cord or smart bulbs but both of those fall flat when someone switches the lamp off at the socket and then you're standing there yelling at Alexa to turn the lights on in increasingly exasperated and specific ways before you realize what's happened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It baffles me that Hue doesn’t save the settings and start up in the same state. I wonder why that’s hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It baffles me that Hue doesn’t save the settings and start up in the same state. I wonder why that’s hard.

It was really cool to get woken up by a brownout at 5:50 AM, let me tell you.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Subjunctive posted:

It's neither hard nor baffling. Almost all smart bulbs work this way on purpose so when someone who's unfamiliar with your smart home turns the lamp off/on manually the light actually turns on like normal.

I do think they should at least make it a configurable option, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have a couple Hue taps (I really only need one, but I found having one in the bathroom was nice in the morning or before bed). I can't imagine people having trouble working them, but if they did they have ones that just look like dimmer switches.

Like obviously not the cheapest solution to smart lights but if you're buying Hue you left that road a long time ago anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

n.. posted:

It's neither hard nor baffling. Almost all smart bulbs work this way on purpose so when someone who's unfamiliar with your smart home turns the lamp off/on manually the light actually turns on like normal.

As opposed to turning on with the correct colour temperature and brightness, as set by the owner? Do they think the previous setting was a mistake? My dimmers don’t go to 100% every time I turn them on, which is why I haven’t incinerated them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't think the lights themselves actually maintain state, I think that's happening on the hub.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Should have added that I also have a hue tap in one of the rooms too.

Rick posted:

Like obviously not the cheapest solution to smart lights but if you're buying Hue you left that road a long time ago anyway.

Agreed on that. Having said that, worth every penny for the the excellent colours and fine lighting controls. The price was in part why I went with it for accent lighting only rather than general/overhead lighting... but TBH I didn't save that much as I have majority lamps that became majority hue-d when hue addiction set in.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 13, 2018

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It should be easy, so the answer is probably "patents".

Hubis
May 18, 2003

My own personal vision of hell:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hubis posted:

My own personal vision of hell:

It's okay pal, with time and practice, you'll be able to talk to girls, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Presumably Google is gender neutral just to avoid such anxiety.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone have a ceiling fan hooked up to a smart fan control wall switch? If so, what are the voice commands? I’m having my bedroom wired for one soonish, and I can’t seem to find anything on how the fan settings work. I’m getting the fan-specific ge model. Is it a percentage thing? High medium low? I don’t know how it works with SmartThings on the back end, but I would imagine how it’s displayed there would be how Alexa would control it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

housefly posted:

Anyone have a ceiling fan hooked up to a smart fan control wall switch? If so, what are the voice commands? I’m having my bedroom wired for one soonish, and I can’t seem to find anything on how the fan settings work. I’m getting the fan-specific ge model. Is it a percentage thing? High medium low? I don’t know how it works with SmartThings on the back end, but I would imagine how it’s displayed there would be how Alexa would control it.

You talk to it like a normal dimmer, use percentages.