Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I finally switched from FTP to NFS and everything got much worse. Videos stream only at 300 kb/s according to my NAS's resource monitor. So, unwatchable. Meanwhile, mounting the NFS share on another computer and playing with VLC works great. Kodi is running on a Shield.

Here's the chain of events that led to my current debacle:
- I changed the paths in sources.xml from FTP to NFS
- Didn't notice any difference, except library scan is slower. Leave it like this for a couple weeks.
- Trying to set up a headless kodi instance to run library scans, I was messing with the JSON RPC to test library access and noticed that old library items still used the [url]ftp://[/url] paths. :doh:
- I fixed all the paths in MySQL.
- At this point I realize that some files are duplicated (in the SQL database, though I never saw a duplicate in the Kodi library) presumably because they were originally added in FTP and then rescanned via NFS. :doh:
- Before attempting to do anything about the duplicates, to test if I got the paths right, I tried to play a file. Unwatchably slow. Tried old ones and newer files that had never been added over FTP, same thing.

There are still duplicate entries in the library, but why would that cause slow streaming speeds?

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm deciding between
A) Give up on watched data, and start over on my library, see if that fixes it. If the problem is that I hosed up the database, this may be the solution.
B) Give up on NFS, change the paths in SQL and sources.xml to use SMB instead. If the problem is NFS, this would be the solution.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. In the meantime I'm running a library clean.

Good idea re: trakt, if I can use it to keep my watched statuses then I may as well start over with the library.

I am using wired, via powerline adapters, but besides this issue, speeds have been fine. At least I don't think a network speed issue would explain why NFS is (much) slower than FTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Tapedump posted:

Shield. Shield. Shield.

Gamestream for non-Steam games. Kodi and the Shield-customized SemperPax version of Kodi. Best or at least decent apps for name-the-service.

Just a heads up that if you have a steam link you can indeed do non steam games on it, you just need to add the game on your PC as a "non steam game", its one of the drop-downs in the app.

I still use both a steam link and the shield tv even though I could consolidate them, but I just keep them seperate due to habit.
Anyways, there's still a solution for non steam games if you don't have a shield!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The XBMC on my Pi B+ has stopped recognising a SMB share to my pc. The odd thing is that it remembers shares to other drives in the same system.

I haven't changed anything on the pc, and yet the other version of XBMC I have in the main living room (which is pc based) can access the share perfectly fine.

E: I found the problem. It had updated the path of the shortcut to \\pcname\directory\directory\ when it should have been just \\pcname\directory\

Somehow it has done this itself as I've not touched anything on this install. Anyway problem solved.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 2, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is anyone else experiencing scraping problems with the movie database? I keep getting a "unable to connect to remote server" error when trying to update my library.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
When I fixed the problem above it re scraped the directory and I got the same error about half way through.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
More scraping issues right now:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331716

TMDB received a revocation request from the MPAA due to illegal streaming addons stealing Kodi's API key.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Kodi that will trigger Homekit scenes? I always tell Siri to start the "movie time" scene at night when watching something, but couldn't find a plug-in that would do this to my lights whenever something starts.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

IUG posted:

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Kodi that will trigger Homekit scenes? I always tell Siri to start the "movie time" scene at night when watching something, but couldn't find a plug-in that would do this to my lights whenever something starts.

If you're using hue bulbs, then you're in luck.

I use it and having a fade up and fade down on play/pause is really really nice, highly recommend.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

zer0spunk posted:

If you're using hue bulbs, then you're in luck.

I use it and having a fade up and fade down on play/pause is really really nice, highly recommend.

Seconding this if you have Hue, it works great. The actual ambilight bit is pretty janky because it's ~1 second behind and doesn't have a way to tell it what lights are where in relation to the screen, but the dimming feature is wonderful and makes a home theater feel a lot more like a real theater.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh man, it undims when you pause. That's even better than I thought. I can't wait to try this out this weekend. Thanks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

IUG posted:

Oh man, it undims when you pause. That's even better than I thought. I can't wait to try this out this weekend. Thanks.

The ambilight thing is useless as mentioned, but the ability to customize the groups on this is pretty rad. You can assign "static" lights, so you could have a lamp outside of your theater zone fire up red or something as a signal that you're watching something which would then stay on during play and turn off during pause (flipped behavior) which is a pretty weird use case but hey, options!

Bonus if you also tie the thing to a bathroom smart light group which would then fire up on pause at like 60% or something so you wouldn't have as much eye strain going from a dark room to a full bright bathroom and back. Double bonus if you use a motion sensor and just tie that action into passing the detector twice so when you walked back in the whole shebang would unpause and redim the lights after a delay to give you enough time to get seated.

It's also really slick if you use yatse and set up the call plugin..on an incoming call it'll trigger a pause event, which in turn brings up the lights. You can also have an on-screen notification with the incoming number pop up.

What a time to be alive. I'm hoping eventually there's a way to have google home control kodi that isn't hacky as poo poo. I can use yatse which triggers GA in the app and then voice command that way, but it requires having the phone handy.

None of this is necessary at all obviously.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2018

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That hue plugin works like a charm and was easy to setup (besides me having to good it to the back room and hit be bridge button). I wish I could do this on a global level on my shield.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I realized SPMC development stopped when my tvdb scrapers stopped working recently. Koying (Dev) moved to a different project which is a paid fork of Kodi. Seems fine, but I just switched to official Kodi on my shield and things transferred ok. Thank goodness for trakt keeping my videos synced!

How are we looking on official emulation support? Is it pretty good in the 18.x alpha?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
One thing I really miss from spmc is being to use the back button to get back to the home screen. It looks like I can do this by editing the key map xml but :effort:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Not sure if you have one, but the Harmony remote lets you do a custom button to get you back to the home menu, which is what I do.

I don't do much out of kodi though because most of my apps like Netflix and Hulu are at shortcuts inside of my skin anyway, so it acts as the home base.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
MrMC (the paid fork Koying from SPMC joined) is pretty good and starting to steadily improve now that he's adding all his stuff to it.

Major downside for some is you can't install your own addons - MrMC exists so it can be on the Amazon and Apple stores where Kodi can't and addons are the reason why.

Still, it comes with a bunch of pre-vetted addons and skins and so for some use cases (i.e. you aren't using pirate streaming addons) is fine. And it's getting a lot of the little tweaks that people loved SPMC for. YMMV.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Minty Swagger posted:

Not sure if you have one, but the Harmony remote lets you do a custom button to get you back to the home menu, which is what I do.

I don't do much out of kodi though because most of my apps like Netflix and Hulu are at shortcuts inside of my skin anyway, so it acts as the home base.

Yep this is how I have it set up also. A "Home" button on the touchscreen on the Harmony remote which drops you back out to Android.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
It's a stupid story but I have $150 of someone else's money that I can basically only spend on something off Amazon and it has to be spent in like the next week so ... Is the Shield still the best way to be ready for the shift to H265? Or is that AV1 format more likely to win?

I have a Wetek Core (4K but usually playing 1080 at 24hz, not much/any h265 support I think) right now running Libreelec that sometimes crashes but is mostly decent. It's hooked up to a Roku TV (4K, HDR/Vision) that gives me all the 4k/HDR streaming I care about. I have a Steam Link and an AMD card so Shield streaming isn't super compelling.

The Roku TV can play some HDR H265 through the slow, clunky "Emby channel" in direct-play mode flawlessly, at least for the 5 min chunk of Dunkirk I watched. This is just through the TV itself, no Kodi. But I fed it a really huge 4K HDR Atmos (which I can't even use) HEVC remux file and the TV didn't give me the HDR icon and could only play like 20 seconds at a time before buffering. This was over gigabit ethernet in direct play. I don't know enough about these formats to guess why it didn't work.

So my justification for the Shield would be to play the rare, huge HDR local file and have a slightly more polished Kodi experience. But I'm looking for confirmation, cuz I'm not 100% sure Android Kodi beats Libreelec Kodi overall.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

el_caballo posted:

It's a stupid story but I have $150 of someone else's money that I can basically only spend on something off Amazon and it has to be spent in like the next week so ... Is the Shield still the best way to be ready for the shift to H265? Or is that AV1 format more likely to win?

I have a Wetek Core (4K but usually playing 1080 at 24hz, not much/any h265 support I think) right now running Libreelec that sometimes crashes but is mostly decent. It's hooked up to a Roku TV (4K, HDR/Vision) that gives me all the 4k/HDR streaming I care about. I have a Steam Link and an AMD card so Shield streaming isn't super compelling.

The Roku TV can play some HDR H265 through the slow, clunky "Emby channel" in direct-play mode flawlessly, at least for the 5 min chunk of Dunkirk I watched. This is just through the TV itself, no Kodi. But I fed it a really huge 4K HDR Atmos (which I can't even use) HEVC remux file and the TV didn't give me the HDR icon and could only play like 20 seconds at a time before buffering. This was over gigabit ethernet in direct play. I don't know enough about these formats to guess why it didn't work.

So my justification for the Shield would be to play the rare, huge HDR local file and have a slightly more polished Kodi experience. But I'm looking for confirmation, cuz I'm not 100% sure Android Kodi beats Libreelec Kodi overall.

I play large-size HEVC remux files with HDR/Atmos/etc. all the time on my Roku Ultra (the newer model released late last year, not sure if it is any different) via the Plex client and they play fine. In fact since switching to Roku from a Shield a few weeks back I've been pretty amazed at how well they work. You tried Plex? Emby is better in some areas but not as advanced overall in my experience. And the Plex client on the Roku is the best of all their clients in my opinion.

/Sorry for off-topic in the Kodi thread/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If you have 150$ to spend on Amazon, my advice would be... Spend it on something more fun than a third media player device. Like, a lot of cases of beer or something?

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Yeah I can imagine the Sheild would be maybe 25% better for regular Kodi use and might not crash 2x a month like the Wetek. But this h265 stuff still seems like it's a little up in the air in terms of hardware vs Usenet.

I'll give Plex a shot. The only reason I use Emby is to feed Kodi meta data and offload all that scanning.

If I can get something to feed the Roku TV a couple prestige movies in huge prestige 4k/HDR encodes, I'll be happy with my setup and maybe just put the money towards a PS4.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 15, 2018

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Can you not buy vouchers with it, give yourself a bit longer to decide what you want?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

el_caballo posted:

Yeah I can imagine the Sheild would be maybe 25% better for regular Kodi use and might not crash 2x a month like the Wetek. But this h265 stuff still seems like it's a little up in the air in terms of hardware vs Usenet.

I'll give Plex a shot. The only reason I use Emby is to feed Kodi meta data and offload all that scanning.

If I can get something to feed the Roku TV a couple prestige movies in huge prestige 4k/HDR encodes, I'll be happy with my setup and maybe just put the money towards a PS4.

The shield can play h265 in all its varieties.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

MeKeV posted:

Can you not buy vouchers with it, give yourself a bit longer to decide what you want?

lol no. This is what the agency I work for does instead of bonuses or raises or any guaranteed time off, and no turning this poo poo into gift cards. There has to be some cheapskate, weird tax loophole reason they won't just toss a gift card on your desk when they tell you to work on Saturday.

Like I said it's stupid as hell.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just buy your groceries for the week.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I should do that just to gently caress with them because it'll get delivered to the office. Get $150 of like single-serving yogurt delivered.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’ve hidden from this world for the past few years while burning myself out at a startup. Used to have a huge NAS and a Popcorn Hour A100-clone setup with YAMJ to play my media library on my TV (goal: no transcoding). Before that was OG XBMC on my OG Xbox and watching it struggle on H.264 :corsair:

Now I’d like to set it all up again and I’m looking for the box that takes in my library over Ethernet and spits out HDMI. I’ve got a ATV 4K at the moment, and was thinking of trying out Plex first. I live in an apartment and for now everything is gonna be downmixed to 2.0, so lack of DTS/etc support isn’t a big deal as long as something in the playback chain can decode it to PCM.

The Shield (heh) looks like the next best option and I may be interested in game streaming; I thought I read that these sometimes get fire-saled out or am I confusing it with literal Fire sales?

My NAS is on a ESXi host that’s a 4C/8T Skylake Xeon w/ 64GB so I’m not worried about transcoding if needed but I get kind of autistic when needless re-encoding occurs (spent a good part of my life working on codec software and silicon and I apologize in advance for ruining all your lives) basically looking for the same experience as Media Player Classic opening a file over a SMB share, decoding and playing.

e: heh, oops, there’s a Plex megathread. Disregard / tell me what Kodi does better!

movax fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 16, 2018

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Kodi is great standalone on a lot of hardware but I think Plex is a great companion to run and allow it to manage your media along side Kodi. If you want to watch stuff remotely though it's a no brainer.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Update for anyone curious about Roku TVs (TCL 55p607/605) and h265/HEVC/HDR: After I transferred my 54 gb test file to a USB drive and plugged it in (has to be plugged into a USB hub first for some weird reason), it seemed to play perfectly. Haven't watched the whole thing yet but I got the HDR logo, smooth playback and synced dialog (Roku Player has/had trouble with DTS sync). It seemed to use the regular old-school Dolby 5.1 compatibility track instead of the Atmos. My receiver is DD/DTS only and hooked up with optical.

I think I'll wait until my Wetek Core finally craps out or I end up watching so much HDR stuff that using a USB drive becomes a huge hassle. Still haven't tried Plex yet or updating Emby, that might eliminate the need for the USB drive.

Here's the stats on the test file:

Video: HVC1 3840x2160 23.976fps [V: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 45913 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020 [eng] (hevc main 10, yuv420p10le, 3840x2160) [default]]
Audio: TrueHD 48000Hz 8ch [A: Dolby Atmos/TrueHD Audio / 7.1-Atmos / 48 kHz / 4581 kbps / 24-bit [eng] (truehd, 48000 Hz, 8 channels) [default]]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: Compatibility Track / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, 640 kb/s)]

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Plex is a great server backend for media management and can be used with Kodi that way. The Plex client depends on what you run it on. If you have a Roku it's great. If you have an Android TV device like the Shield, it's hot garbage (use Kodi instead). ATV I dunno, somewhere in the middle as far as Plex client support goes.

Plex clients don't transcode on the box they are running on, it does that server side. Clients can play native on hardware that supports the format otherwise the server will transcode it for you. How well this works depends on the server you are running Plex Media Server on and your network connection to it. Kodi will just stream right off a share and decode on the box, assuming it is powerful enough (which is why the Shield is popular for it). There are pros and cons to both, really depends on what client side hardware you are running.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

el_caballo posted:

(Roku Player has/had trouble with DTS sync).

This is the understatement of the century, the TCL sets are perfect it's Roku who is ruining it.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I never really used the built in Roku Player until recently with HDR files but I just threw some regular 1080p DTS/DTS-HD MKVs at it, straight off Windows DLNA. I think they maybe played fine? DTS light was lit on the receiver. The DTS-HD one may have gotten a little off sync but I can't even tell any more. I need to watch a file all the way through.

I think I'm on the 8.0 firmware, but I'm too loving sick of looking at my TV to even check.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Photex posted:

This is the understatement of the century, the TCL sets are perfect it's Roku who is ruining it.

el_caballo posted:

I never really used the built in Roku Player until recently with HDR files but I just threw some regular 1080p DTS/DTS-HD MKVs at it, straight off Windows DLNA. I think they maybe played fine? DTS light was lit on the receiver. The DTS-HD one may have gotten a little off sync but I can't even tell any more. I need to watch a file all the way through.

I think I'm on the 8.0 firmware, but I'm too loving sick of looking at my TV to even check.

Roku fixed DTS syncing issues in 8.0.1. Granted it took them a long while to do it but it's fine now. Edit: apparently not for some folks using optical/Toslink to their receivers, it's fixed for HDMI connections.

Also Roku runs great on the TCL sets. It's seriously the only "smart" TV experience that I've found to be any good. My other TVs I just used a Shield, even though they (Sony) have Android TV as their interface as well, it's that bad.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 17, 2018

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Trying to figure out the best way to achieve this..

I own the wire on blu, which is HD 16:9 and then an older copy on DVD which is SD 4:3..I'd love to have a way to have both of these in my kodi library as separate entries, The Wire (4:3) and The Wire (16:9) but as far as I can tell the best I can do is have one library entry for the wire, and then each episode is just listed twice with no real visual way to tell which is what version...Am I missing a way to do this properly? Looking at kodi forums doesn't get me anywhere since it's such a niche thing to want to do I guess.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

zer0spunk posted:

Trying to figure out the best way to achieve this..

I own the wire on blu, which is HD 16:9 and then an older copy on DVD which is SD 4:3..I'd love to have a way to have both of these in my kodi library as separate entries, The Wire (4:3) and The Wire (16:9) but as far as I can tell the best I can do is have one library entry for the wire, and then each episode is just listed twice with no real visual way to tell which is what version...Am I missing a way to do this properly? Looking at kodi forums doesn't get me anywhere since it's such a niche thing to want to do I guess.

maybe smart playlists or video library tags would work.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I would take the "secondary" one, name it Wire (4:3) (or 16:9), and create custom nfo tags for the show, changing the name to match. They should both show up at that point. Try something like Ember to auto download and mass create the files.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Different skins are different, but the default one I think shows an SD or HD icon when you select the items. They will still look identical until you select them, though, unless you tweak it with NFOs like suggested above.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, but having:
Episode 1 (SD)
Episode 1 (HD)
Episode 2 (SD)
Episode 2 (HD)
Etc

Sounds lovely. Unless you're selecting each episode, hitting "play all" would result in one watching each episode twice.

Plus, my skin sometimes just doesn't label videos despite the others before and after ripped and encoded with the same settings are just fine.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

Roku fixed DTS syncing issues in 8.0.1.

8.0.1 isn't out for TCL at least not the 405 models, it's still broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Steam Link is on sale as part of Steam's Summer Sale. I know people have gotten Kodi running on it, how does it do?