Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
How can game mechanics be unconfirmed, this is coming out in a few months :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is looking more and more interesting, but I'm still a little concerned about Bethesda actually being able to program all of this correctly.

Well they apparently had several longtime industry players brought on board (I think the guys from Ultima Online were somehow involved? I was cooking dinner and half listening to noclip at the sometime) and they also brought in programmers from iD to help them unfuck Gamebryo so it could work properly in a multiplayer environment. It's apparently been like 3 or 4 years in the making at this point.

I really hope the iD software engineers were able to fix other aspects of the engine at the same time.

The world in 76 looks like it'd be a lot of fun to explore, but the complete lack of other people would also make it feel extremely empty and lonely at the same time. Still have zero interest in the social aspects of the game but will reassess things once the private server options have been added and I'm able to actually see the game in action.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

How can game mechanics be unconfirmed, this is coming out in a few months :psyduck:
Look, it's just going to work okay. It'll figure itself out in the end.

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lol watching this documentary.

They retrofitted the entire loving engine for multiplayer despite it being built nearly 20 years ago for singleplayer instead of licensing something else and just moving over all the assets?

What are these guys? idiots? How many loving man hours did that take?

The whole thing about the world being so big that people don't run into each other very often does make it sound a whole lot better to be honest though. But no NPC's kind of ruins that.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah it never ceases to amaze me how cobbled together these games are :allears:

see also:

I remember seeing footage of the nuke missile launching and the train hat immediately came to mind. I wonder if the missile is just some NPC wearing a missile hat swimming to the target.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

frugalmaster posted:

They retrofitted the entire loving engine for multiplayer despite it being built nearly 20 years ago for singleplayer instead of licensing something else and just moving over all the assets?

The whole thing about the world being so big that people don't run into each other very often does make it sound a whole lot better to be honest though. But no NPC's kind of ruins that.

Think I might buy this game just to see what kind of an abortion making the Quake 3 engine and Gamebroyo gently caress results in.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

frugalmaster posted:

That isn't how engines work my doot. Call of duty is still basically a heavily edited quake engine. Gamebryo is used across the industry- I believe everything from civilization to gta use it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. The Noclip documentary was a bit reassuring, and I do kind of like that they're more or less shrugging and saying "gently caress knows?" as far as how things are going to go when players start running into each other.

I don't like that everyone's visible on the map though, hopefully they walk that back.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The doc has kinda made me cautiously optimistic for this game. The thing that stood out to me was the way they're structuring instances to be 24 or so players on "dedicated" servers, which makes me wonder if we'll be able to rent one. I'd be more on-board with even the PvP poo poo if I can just permaban fucknuggets from my instance, or disable nukes and just let the server decide if a particular area is going to be the irradiated zone that day.

But I know that modern gamedevs don't like giving their players that level of fine control, so I get to look forward to hackers making it rain nukes on launch day and teleporting all over the map while sniping people from inaccessible locations. Can you believe Todd Howard has been a gamedev since the loving 90s and apparently doesn't care to learn anything from the last 20+ years of multiplayer gaming?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I was looking forward to this game before, but now after watching that documentary, I wish it were releasing before November. So long to wait.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bango skank posted:

76 aside, I'm ready for my first Lonesome Road run. Finished DM, HH, and OWB, but I haven't touched the main quest since murking Benny and getting the Platinum Chip. Should I finish the main quest first or do Lonesome Road and then finish up the game afterwards? Just wondering which order it goes in best thematically in case there's a "and the courier walked out of the history of the Mojave for the last time" at the end of LR's slide show or something, not that it really matters.

As far as my thoughts on 76 go, I'll probably preorder for the beta and cancel if it ends up Bad but I've gotta say a Fallout with no story doesn't sound like a good time. Once touch I did like from what they've shown though was the feral ghouls' were still wearing some bits of clothing that hadn't rotted away yet.

Do Lonesome Road RIGHT before the end of the main quest. After the quest to protect or kill the president, run straight to the Divide. Once you complete the Lonesome Road quest and find yourself back in the Mojave, head back into the Divide one more time

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

2house2fly posted:

It's easy to complain about the bugs in New Vegas, but in Fallout 1 half of the ending slides didn't even work

On release at least one of New Vegas' ending slides was supposed to be available but due to an oversight, impossible for the player to access. Call it an homage. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meridian posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. The Noclip documentary was a bit reassuring, and I do kind of like that they're more or less shrugging and saying "gently caress knows?" as far as how things are going to go when players start running into each other.

I don't like that everyone's visible on the map though, hopefully they walk that back.

"We have no idea if this will actually work" is the worst kind of confidence you can have in a multiplayer game.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Do Lonesome Road RIGHT before the end of the main quest. After the quest to protect or kill the president, run straight to the Divide. Once you complete the Lonesome Road quest and find yourself back in the Mojave, head back into the Divide one more time

and if you don't do this then gently caress you and your fandom. N M A!!!!

wait; fun? oh yeah that too, do whatever you want.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SeaWolf posted:

Yeah, what a loving monster, giving advice to someone who specifically requested it. You sure showed him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

bango skank posted:

76 aside, I'm ready for my first Lonesome Road run. Finished DM, HH, and OWB, but I haven't touched the main quest since murking Benny and getting the Platinum Chip. Should I finish the main quest first or do Lonesome Road and then finish up the game afterwards? Just wondering which order it goes in best thematically in case there's a "and the courier walked out of the history of the Mojave for the last time" at the end of LR's slide show or something, not that it really matters.

2house2fly posted:

SeaWolf posted:

Moron.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I didn't "get" settlement building in 4, wgat was the point? Also i could never figure out giw to do things like set up the generators to power the houses, also why would i want to play The Sims when i am playing fallout? Why are they making this please do a new vegas 2 or something

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Also regarding NV dlc order, imo switching DM and HH works better narratively because Honest Hearts barely registers with the other three, the callbacks to Zion in Lonesome Road feel amazingly forced, and Honest Hearts basically works better if you're still a broke mid-level courier. DM -> OWB -> LR actually feels like a coherent story in a way having Honest Hearts in the middle doesn't.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Nooner posted:

I didn't "get" settlement building in 4, wgat was the point? Also i could never figure out giw to do things like set up the generators to power the houses, also why would i want to play The Sims when i am playing fallout? Why are they making this please do a new vegas 2 or something

Settlement building was janky as heck and the most disappointing thing I encountered in Fallout 4 was discovering the drive-in screen was not at a 90 degree angle and couldn't be used to build a base.

I stuck a few windmills on top and made a bunker in the lot below, though. It was alright. I had to make it so there was a fast travel point and no entrance from the ground, though, lest my caravans steal my stockpiles of power armor. I had a raider show up in the starter town wearing a set I kept at the gas station, once.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also regarding NV dlc order, imo switching DM and HH works better narratively because Honest Hearts barely registers with the other three, the callbacks to Zion in Lonesome Road feel amazingly forced, and Honest Hearts basically works better if you're still a broke mid-level courier. DM -> OWB -> LR actually feels like a coherent story in a way having Honest Hearts in the middle doesn't.

I always assumed HH was supposed to be the first played, it requires the lowest level after all.

The vibe I got was the "official" order is HH -> DM -> OWB -> LR. Although obviously you can play them in whatever order you want, and I think narratively switching OWB and DM doesn't make much of a difference (It just changes certain things from callbacks to foreshadowing). Lonesome road is pretty clearly meant to be the last one though.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 13, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

I always assumed HH was supposed to be the first played, it requires the lowest level after all.

The vibe I got was the "official" order is HH -> DM -> OWB -> LR. Although obviously you can play them in whatever order you want, and I think narratively switching OWB and DM doesn't make much of a difference (It just changes certain things from callbacks to foreshadowing). Lonesome road is pretty clearly meant to be the last one though.

I got the feeling some people do actually frown on not doing them in order.

Also I would say doing DM just before LR can also work but when I did it, I felt like the Sink implants were kinda trivializing some of the mechanical aspects of DM being low on resources, at least until you get your hands on the cashier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think doing OWB after DM works better by making the references to stuff like Saturnite and the Cloud callbacks. DM gets the sudden surprise of the horrific environment and unusual technology, and then you find out that it was all something created by insane brains in jars who got bored. Doing them in reverse order makes you instead spend DM remembering how those revelations were meant to be kinda funny.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you do honest hearts first, cuz it's the best. dead money is just tedious and kinda dumb, so that goes second to get it out of the way. lonesome road should probably go last, but old world blues when you're disgustingly overleveled actually makes the parts where you're not talking to the brains in a jar moderately... well, not fun, but tolerable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SeaWolf posted:

The Courier may visit the Divide at any time, even right after waking up in Goodsprings. The secrets of the Divide demand strength, but even a Courier weakened by gunshots and a coma may find the power within to conquer the beasts of ruined Hopeville.

However... what lies in the Divide is the past. And though the past may be conquered, true understanding can only be attained by defeating the past armed with the context of the present. The Courier may vanquish the man at the heart of the Ashton silo, but only when on the cusp of changing the future can the past truly be laid to rest... and the future lies at Hoover Dam.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Bethesda and FO:76 documentaries and I'm pretty optimistic too. :3: Bethesda are adorable, and 76 looks very interesting even if it's not my kind of game (i.e. multiplayer). I also think all the footage looks beautiful, and it looks like they might've managed to smooth some more stuff out since FO4, although I'm sure we'll see how janky it really is when it launches.

At any rate I think it looks like a neat game idea.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

"We have no idea if this will actually work" is the worst kind of confidence you can have in a multiplayer game.

They did say obviously they'd be working on it and if stuff isn't working out they'll make adjustments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now this is Bethesda Maryland, right? Not necessarily the same Bethesda employees who have made the previous fallout games? What are the odds that they have a more cohesive design philosophy than the main studio? I love to sling mud at Bethesda for being schizophrenic developers but these are newer guys, so I'm interested to see if they can out their own spin on Fallout or if they are going to be just as scattershot as the primary dev team.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah another thing about 76; I feel like just from the screenshots and footage shown so far there have been more - as well as more impressive - locations and landmarks than probably in the entirety of Fallout 4.

And I say this as someone who likes Fallout 4 :v:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2house2fly posted:

Thanks, I'll probably do this. I'm not going to do a full clear of all the sidequests and whatnot in the Mojave, just the remaining main story and whatever interesting sides I remember along the way. I've already put more than 60 hours into this run and I'm anxious to finally do Lonesome Road.

Agnosticnixie posted:

I did HH>OWB>DM mainly because I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the radios and clouds(which ended up being a lot less difficult to deal with than I remembered,) but I liked the bits of info on the Madre villa being used as an experiment leading to actually seeing the place itself. Also finding the tapes left behind by Elijah and Christine make you feel like you're following in their footsteps and tracking them down at the Madre, which seems like kind of a big theme in the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah another thing about 76; I feel like just from the screenshots and footage shown so far there have been more - as well as more impressive - locations and landmarks than probably in the entirety of Fallout 4.

And I say this as someone who likes Fallout 4 :v:

Yeah that's for drat sure.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Watching the noclip doc has at least taken me from "gently caress this poo poo forever" to "maybe on sale a few months after launch"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Doing OWB -> DM my first time through was super confusing. Show up at the Think Tank, Courier says: "I've heard this place called the Big Empty ...", I say to myself "I have? When?" Get to Madre vault, as the master of Big MT, and when Elijah mentions it all I can say is "I've never heard of the place". I feel like Dead Money is the only DLC which didn't make some false assumption about what in-game knowledge I had going into the experience.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Big MT gets mentioned in Honest Hearts as well and if I remember right someone mentions it in the base game as well.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Big MT gets mentioned in Honest Hearts as well and if I remember right someone mentions it in the base game as well.

HH mentions a school but never Big MT by name, it's just a fan theory that the kids were originally test subjects for Borous because the director's description as a sadistic piece of poo poo was so fitting.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now this is Bethesda Maryland, right? Not necessarily the same Bethesda employees who have made the previous fallout games? What are the odds that they have a more cohesive design philosophy than the main studio? I love to sling mud at Bethesda for being schizophrenic developers but these are newer guys, so I'm interested to see if they can out their own spin on Fallout or if they are going to be just as scattershot as the primary dev team.

Per the interview, it's 3 studios with most of the work done in Maryland and Austin. They also brought on internally some old Ultima/Star Wars Galaxies lead dev and 1-2 veteran devs really familiar with IdTech/Quake multiplayer stuff.

It could be and probably will be jank to some extent because it's loving gamebroyo, but it's promising that they are speaking ahead of time about griefing+imbalances, trying to predict where problems will occur, and also putting in measures to either change poo poo serverside or patch poo poo quick to deal with things they didn't anticipate.

It took Bungie like 5 years to get to that point with Destiny/Destiny 2, and honestly they still are not even near as robust as they promised they would be before D2 released. If a couple weapons are clearly way too powerful, they will stay that way for at least 6 months or more with some excuse about statistics and data collection being hard.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Those drat reddit scavvers stitched together a map of FO76 using the noclip video and it's actually kind of impressive work.

The map is like 1800x2000 pixels so I'm going to link to the actual reddit post, sorry for that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/8qrpbt/fallout_76_complete_map_update_with_landmarks/

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Donovan Trip posted:

That isn't how engines work my doot. Call of duty is still basically a heavily edited quake engine. Gamebryo is used across the industry- I believe everything from civilization to gta use it.

Modders had to implement cars through invisible explosions in Fallout and it was janky as hell. (See also: Monorail hat.) I'm fairly certain it's not used for GTA. Civilization is right, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do remember it being mentioned in the base game, though not exactly where. The Big Empty was supposed to be this sort of mythical land that nobody had ever found, so a few people referenced it before the release of Old World Blues.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gamebryo is rendering tech, which is usually but not always distinct from the engine used for game logic. Bethesda Game Studios games have used the same logic and file handling engine since Morrowind, and while the renderer has changed, all of the little quirks have not.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The original version of Gamebryo is 27 years old. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wrong thread