Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the irony here is that the uyghurs are not victims of communism

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah where's this going, uyghurs aren't oppressed, or china's not communist

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lets do both

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/chuangcn/status/1006079097200676864?s=19

Okay, this is epic

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the irony here is that the uyghurs are not victims of communism

:drat:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liberal. Liberal. Liberal. None of you are free from liberalism

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Larry Parrish posted:

Liberal. Liberal. Liberal. None of you are free from liberalism

https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/downtownFranki1/status/1006342012226789378

boy i wonder how the tankies are gonna react to this

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/MLandsweettea/status/1006386220006625280

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

has anyone accused kju of being a capitalist roader yet

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/1006396206753476613

:yeah:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

kinda funny how KJU, MBS, and trimp are all orb-like failsons

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pretty dumb to identify enough with that flag to give a poo poo where it is tbh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its really messed up that this flag of an aristocratic tax revolt from a slave colony is alongside an aristocratic religious authoritarian state. Thats just so incompatible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/EWWWYUCKY/status/1006350225701785600

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

has anyone accused kju of being a capitalist roader yet
probably jason unruhe

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

hosed up that dprk would do that

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

leafing through old posts itt

harper is bisexual posted:

Stop insulting Urbandale's club you mundanes! All you real yo-yos will be put into the garbage disposal of life when I become admin on this website. I'm buying the drat website.

:q:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've watched a couple of Yanis Varoufakis's videos, and both times he mentions that liberalism (at least in its 19th century conception) and democracy were at odds, and that John Stuart Mill himself, the big liberal, was anti-democratic. Does anyone have any more background or context on what he means by this? I feel like I'm missing something in my understanding of what liberalism is or means to put it together.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've watched a couple of Yanis Varoufakis's videos, and both times he mentions that liberalism (at least in its 19th century conception) and democracy were at odds, and that John Stuart Mill himself, the big liberal, was anti-democratic. Does anyone have any more background or context on what he means by this? I feel like I'm missing something in my understanding of what liberalism is or means to put it together.

I'm guessing that rift had to do with land ownership. It could also have to do with "tyranny of the majority" where liberalism guarantees individual rights even if most people want them stripped.

c.f. "illberal democracy" in Turkey

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Liberalism is a legal regime that guarantees bourgeois rights to private property, as an extension of its view that the individual should be restrained as little as possible. John Locke was "the father of liberalism," and not only was he heavily invested into the slave trade, he set up a system of Lord Proprietors who were a new aristocracy in Carolina that would have had absolute control over Carolinian peasants as slaves - if everybody hadn't effectively ignored them and they weren't incapable of administrating themselves since all the Lord Proprietors were in England.

Locke was against slavery and aristocracy in his major writings, and that kind of hypocrisy is common among liberal thinkers with Thomas Jefferson being the most obvious example. Liberals tended to be antidemocratic because they viewed democracy as a mob rule where the majority could check the ambitions of the individual unjustly. So their ideal notion of government tended to be constitutional monarchies that would guarantee liberal laws by a bourgeois parliament and a mostly ceremonial monarch. The French revolutionaries even wanted a constitutional monarchy at first, until Louis practically forced them to chop his head off.

"Liberal democracies" are widespread in the world today, primarily because the aristocratic powers resisted any kind of reform that would erode their power, to the point where they ended up completely dispossessed and royal families were relegated to ceremonial figureheads if they weren't executed outright.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 13, 2018

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Just about every liberal philosopher of the Enlightenment period talks about how good the rights of/equality of man is in their texts and then in their personal correspondence or actions make it very clear they only mean men (not women), or only gentlemen (Who would be the only ones able to read their texts at the time) or only the rich (as the poor simply don't have the character to appreciate such things) or only white people (as only they are proper humans), etc.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The obvious failing of liberalism is that bourgeois freedoms can only be fully realized by the people who can afford to pay for them, which is why it was always intended to be an elite ideology from the beginning.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, folks!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

namesake posted:

Just about every liberal philosopher of the Enlightenment period talks about how good the rights of/equality of man is in their texts and then in their personal correspondence or actions make it very clear they only mean men (not women), or only gentlemen (Who would be the only ones able to read their texts at the time) or only the rich (as the poor simply don't have the character to appreciate such things) or only white people (as only they are proper humans), etc.

Thomas Paine was a rare exception I think. Every other enlightenment philosopher with name recognition was trash by comparison

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Even to this day conservatives are still sore about Paine and constantly compare him to Burke. Well, at least the ones who read Agrarian Justice (moreso than Rights of Man) and Age of Reason. The ones who didn't use his mug as an av while fellating Trump on twitter.

Metal Cat fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 13, 2018

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mill specifically thought that people who didn't pay taxes should have no vote, that the institution of a dictatorship for the purpose of protecting "freedom" (read: property) could be sensible, and that temporary slavery was justified for the purpose of raising "savages" to the status of "civilised peoples". And the most civilised were, of course, Anglo-saxons. He lamented that the Irish had grown too supportive of democracy too soon, and so it was harder to effectively impose a "good stout despotism" in Ireland than it was in a colony like India.

Basically, like most of the influential Anglo liberal philosophers, any time liberty conflicted with imperialism, he sided with the latter and carved out a neat little exception.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Am I getting it correctly that liberalism in this context is juxtaposed against monarchism/the divine right of kings, in which people do NOT have any "rights" because the king can simply do whatever they want to you, and also take your property at their whim (as enforced by their men-with-swords), and so it would technically be an improvement to have a Constitution where the monarch's / republic's powers are strictly limited to respect an individual's rights, even if the monarchy / republic would continue to be largely undemocratic?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Am I getting it correctly that liberalism in this context is juxtaposed against monarchism/the divine right of kings, in which people do NOT have any "rights" because the king can simply do whatever they want to you, and also take your property at their whim (as enforced by their men-with-swords), and so it would technically be an improvement to have a Constitution where the monarch's / republic's powers are strictly limited to respect an individual's rights, even if the monarchy / republic would continue to be largely undemocratic?

It's not even an opposition to monarchy per se, so much as it is an opposition to aristocracy. Aristocratic nobles all across Europe made sure that the bourgeois were locked out of all the political privileges they were entitled to, and all the merchants, nascent capitalists, and private unennobled landlords wanted to be able to buy into what you had to be born into. There wasn't really any such thing as an absolute monarch, even in France where the state had become highly centralized. They all relied on the nobility to beat everyone in the country into line and give taxes to the crown.

Napoleon was invested with as much absolute power as any one man could ask for, but his rule was also embraced because Napoleon guaranteed liberal rights through the Napoleonic code - which also permanently cemented the power of the bourgeois in France and prevented the aristocracy from ever truly retaking control, even while subsequent French governments were monarchies.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 13, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

probably jason unruhe

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not even an opposition to monarchy per se, so much as it is an opposition to aristocracy. Aristocratic nobles all across Europe made sure that the bourgeois were locked out of all the political privileges they were entitled to, and all the merchants, nascent capitalists, and private unennobled landlords wanted to be able to buy into what you had to be born into. There wasn't really any such thing as an absolute monarch, even in France where the state had become highly centralized. They all relied on the nobility to beat everyone in the country into line and give taxes to the crown.

Okay, so more like, you had all these people who had lots of wealth, but they were still not considered nobility, because you needed to inherit that poo poo, and they wanted a new set of rules for society that would allow them to become as powerful as they thought they deserved to be (as bought by their wealth)?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dont sign your posts

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, so more like, you had all these people who had lots of wealth, but they were still not considered nobility, because you needed to inherit that poo poo, and they wanted a new set of rules for society that would allow them to become as powerful as they thought they deserved to be (as bought by their wealth)?

Bingo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Napoleon was invested with as much absolute power as any one man could ask for, but his rule was also embraced because Napoleon guaranteed liberal rights through the Napoleonic code - which also permanently cemented the power of the bourgeois in France and prevented the aristocracy from ever truly retaking control, even while subsequent French governments were monarchies.

The Bourgeoise that that composed the right wing of the French revolutionaries wanted to impose a constitutional monarchy just like Britain's to Louis since they knew that it was the perfect government for them but that dummy rejecting to do so empowered the republican wing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I've been casting about and haven't found anywhere more appropriate. Are there any good books on hyperinflation? I'm sitting next to an economics student who says it's not linked to printing money and I'm intrigued to say the least.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Have you tried Debt by David RR Graeber

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks again, I learned a lot today!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

liberalism is the separation of the political economy into the political and the economy

before liberalism the economy was a creature of the state

now finance controls the important decisions and politicians are their appendages

we can only vote on narrow social issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Short version is that in 1848 (though it's happened a few times before then), liberals started aligning themselves more with conservative authoritarians to stymie radicals from achieving political power (whose goals usually included popular emancipation). At the time of the shift, most liberals were either proponents of a constitutional monarchy or believed in a oligarchical society with democratic trappings.

Edit: Now that I think about, that's what most liberals are like today.