Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
What do you do against a good berserker it seems like this shithead can just feint endlessly until you try to parry and he just lets the attack go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zerker is incredibly good nowadays and the feint, feint, feint, this one's real and also has armor now stuff is why, so kind of a hard situation.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just attack into a feint heavy zerker.

Don't be tempted to play his game. If you sit there are try to react to swing, feint, swing, feint, ect. eventually you will guess wrong.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Yep, either play the block game until he exhausts himself or light slap him when he plays a feint game.

Zerk relies on people choking to pressure and feint reactions.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A good Zerker will mix up his attacks with guardbreaks and unblockables. You can't simply block him whenever he isn't feinting, unless he's terrible, in which case he's probably not gonna be feinting.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Comrayn posted:

What do you do against a good berserker it seems like this shithead can just feint endlessly until you try to parry and he just lets the attack go through.

I always just go on the offensive with super armour attacks or shoves so that they have to always be on the backfoot. If you let them do their thing they will eventually get hits in but there's no reason for you to just let them do what they want. That or you can just play conq and bully the poo poo out of them with shield bashes, full block counters and zones.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvd7Ijv4_o

My sole For Honor video.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just started playing this and I love it. Playing the Kensei until I get the hang of it, around level 2

I got a problem though: Can’t figure out what to do when enemies do that “Full triangle defense”, usually guys with shields.

Attack them and everything bounces, use the shield break and they just counter, using the “unstoppable attack” they can just parry it.

so what the hell do I do?

Edit: Does the Kensei have this defense? And how to use it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Edit: Does the Kensei have this defense? And how to use it?

Kensei is super good these days but no, full block stance is something only shieldmans have, generally the answer is that you have to bait them out of it or dodge the bash they're likely gonna throw.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hows this game right now?

I spotted it for cheap on greenman and I'm curious, but for some reason I remember the launch being really mismanaged so I stayed away at the time.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Game good but none of my friends will buy it. Don’t get the starter edition.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

I spotted it for cheap on greenman and I'm curious, but for some reason I remember the launch being really mismanaged so I stayed away at the time.

I love it for dueling and deathmatches, the fighting system takes a while to internalize but very rewarding.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I love it for dueling and deathmatches, the fighting system takes a while to internalize but very rewarding.

Pretty good PC controls?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Pretty good PC controls?

I use a controller so yes? Seems fine

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The default mouse and keyboard controls are kind of weird but you can rebind everything.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

gently caress lol, deal ended while I was in my meeting. Don't feel like spending 60$ at the moment

Deicide
Mar 22, 2004
Oh. How quaint.

w00tmonger posted:

You remember correctly, launch was a shitshow. Much better now (better matchmaking/netcode, dedicated servers, etc) and they've added to the roster quite a bit.

Definitely worth it on sale which it seems to be often now. And controller or KB/M is viable in my opinion, just depends on your preference.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

gently caress lol, deal ended while I was in my meeting. Don't feel like spending 60$ at the moment

It seems like at least one site has it on sale every week so you won’t have to wait long.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Comrayn posted:

It seems like at least one site has it on sale every week so you won’t have to wait long.

It’s on sale at the razer store which apparently is a thing that exists. UBI10 for another ten percent off which I think makes it a new low price.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Finally gave the game a shot again and it's much better now, i liked old kensei and new is much better while keeping the same style/feel.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Announcements at E3 today

New Chinese factions with four new heroes. Looks like the same vanguard/heavy/assassin/hybrid as the other three factions
Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDELaG1YreU

New game mode called breach. It's a siege where one side goes through phases attacking a castle and one side defends. The attackers have limited respawn tickets and they have to kill a big king NPC at the end to win.
Gameplay trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BchIGo-S5fs

Those both come out October 16

Right now :frogsiren:THE GAME IS FREE IF YOU ADD IT TO YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW:frogsiren: on Uplay!
Well, the starter edition is free. If you add it to your Uplay account this week you get to keep it free forever, but if you don't add it this week tough poo poo it's back to $15.

The new game mode looks cool as hell but it's a pretty long wait.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
October's quite a ways away, but I look forward to getting my Guan Yu on later this year. Breach looks neat too, and there's some hints of a Warden update in there (second top heavy looked unblockable).

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

The Rainbow Six Siege thread stressed a bunch to not get the starter edition because you can’t switch back and it fucks you long term. I hope this is not a problem with For Honor?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Superschaf posted:

The Rainbow Six Siege thread stressed a bunch to not get the starter edition because you can’t switch back and it fucks you long term. I hope this is not a problem with For Honor?

I dunno how it works with switching, but the costs for the For Honor starter edition seem more sensible, at least. You start out with six free heroes, and all other vanilla heroes cost 8,000 steel each. If you do the daily orders, that's pretty doable in like two-four days of playing. For comparison, in R6 the other operators cost 12,500 renown each, and currency generation is significantly slower there than in FH (particularly since FH does occasional seasonal events where you just get a couple thousand steel just for existing). Another factor is that in For Honor you'll generally stick with the same hero for a while to learn them, whereas in R6 switching back and forth is much more common.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I was under the impression you could buy a full version to upgrade later but I could be wrong. It would be kind of dumb if you can’t.

I guess if you’re worried you could make another uplay account to claim your freebie and try it out first.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I dunno how it works with switching, but the costs for the For Honor starter edition seem more sensible, at least. You start out with six free heroes, and all other vanilla heroes cost 8,000 steel each. If you do the daily orders, that's pretty doable in like two-four days of playing. For comparison, in R6 the other operators cost 12,500 renown each, and currency generation is significantly slower there than in FH (particularly since FH does occasional seasonal events where you just get a couple thousand steel just for existing). Another factor is that in For Honor you'll generally stick with the same hero for a while to learn them, whereas in R6 switching back and forth is much more common.

Comrayn posted:

I was under the impression you could buy a full version to upgrade later but I could be wrong. It would be kind of dumb if you can’t.

I guess if you’re worried you could make another uplay account to claim your freebie and try it out first.

Thanks! Downloading it now. :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This game seems not great.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Internet Explorer posted:

This game seems not great.

This game is pretty good, friend!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a fun game, but like any fighting game, it's significantly less fun when you have to play against people who are noticeably better than you. That's why the more the merrier when it comes to the playerbase.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It'll be good when they make Lawbringer good again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Still waiting on the Valkyrie rework. Any day now, I'm sure. :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shear Modulus posted:

Lawbringer is genuinely pretty great, but he does not have a flashy or difficult moveset at all. He's a defensive character with simple moveset, so you really want to have an okay feint and parry game. His chains can be pretty deadly, and his bomb feats are very very powerful in 4v4 modes. His parry punishes give you lots of movement control and wall punishes. He also has one of the best moves in the game: shove.

Shove is pretty simple, dodge and press guard break. It knocks an enemy back, does a moderate amount of stamina damage, confirms a light attack and then your third attack in your chains, or a fast heavy that leads into unblockables that you can feint. You can't be interrupted after the animation starts, and you can shove an enemy for free every time you block an attack. Block, not parry. Unless you're fighting a berserker (you're hosed if they're good) or shugoki (lol), attacking you is incredibly unsafe for most heroes. You'll find you can consistently take enemies down piece by piece while they break themselves against a huge HP pool.

Give him a shot. He can be pretty fun.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Also if you're in the same zip code as a ledge you win.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
thinking of getting back in to this. I left when Lawbringer was still the new kid on the block. Any big changes or suggested new characters? I mained all the Vikings and Conqueror.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Do they never bring events back?

I really enjoyed the death carousel thing where it was just 4v4 in a circular arena, no bs capturing or anything, just battle.

But suddenly they changed it to some capture points map, and I kinda stopped playing. Duels are cool but group battles were great

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think they had death carousel thing just a week or two ago. I never do the events because it takes me too long to get into a game and I’m impatient.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hey, I just saw you can get the starter edition for free!

https://free.ubisoft.com/promotions/for_honor/26/pc/login

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nasgate posted:

thinking of getting back in to this. I left when Lawbringer was still the new kid on the block. Any big changes or suggested new characters? I mained all the Vikings and Conqueror.

Well there 4 new Chinese heroes coming in October of course, plus the 8 already added so far. I've been maining highlander recently and he's a lot of fun.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
That new gamemode reminds me of some of Chivalry's team objective maps, which were the best part of that game. Hopefully it won't be as defender-favored, though!

As well, unless they change it for release the new faction's feats are pretty hilarious. The monk hero can straight up teleport to a teammate on the other side of the map. :downs:

The Iron Rose posted:

Shove is pretty simple, dodge and press guard break. It knocks an enemy back, does a moderate amount of stamina damage, confirms a light attack
You can still dodge and/or roll out of the shove fortunately, else lawbro would be pretty cancerous. Although this does mean he becomes terrible in 1v1's the moment your opponents realize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Exodee posted:

You can still dodge and/or roll out of the shove fortunately, else lawbro would be pretty cancerous. Although this does mean he becomes terrible in 1v1's the moment your opponents realize this.

Though at the same time that opens up a mixup (at least last time I played) between following the shove with a light attack and following with a guardbreak. If they dodge, the guardbreak is guaranteed to land. Once you land that once or twice, people tend to be wary of trying to dodge immediately and you can sneak in some light attacks again. Not sure how it works out with a roll, though.