Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Otacon posted:

Those drat reddit scavvers stitched together a map of FO76 using the noclip video and it's actually kind of impressive work.

The map is like 1800x2000 pixels so I'm going to link to the actual reddit post, sorry for that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/8qrpbt/fallout_76_complete_map_update_with_landmarks/

This is a really cool looking map with lots of interesting locations, I wonder what's up with Vault 63?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is a really cool looking map with lots of interesting locations, I wonder what's up with Vault 63?

I'm gonna guess a Necropolis style scenario where the vault didn't seal properly and now it's the base of operations for the scorched. Maybe not, but it seems plausible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Gamebryo is rendering tech, which is usually but not always distinct from the engine used for game logic. Bethesda Game Studios games have used the same logic and file handling engine since Morrowind, and while the renderer has changed, all of the little quirks have not.

Yeah, Gamebryo has also been used for poo poo like Bully: Scholarship Edition and rhythm games. Gamebryo itself doesn't really have anything wrong with it and it's not the cause of any problems with Fallout or Elder Scrolls games. That's all on Bethesda's janky coding.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Havok as a physics engine is probably a bigger contributor to the problems than gamebryo itself but at the same time Beth using an engine designed for third person games as a first person one didn't help on top of the janky coding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Havok is probably fine. It's been used forever with a lot fewer problems. I'm still pretty certain it's Bethesda building janky code on top of an ancient base instead of switching to something new.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agnosticnixie posted:

HH mentions a school but never Big MT by name, it's just a fan theory that the kids were originally test subjects for Borous because the director's description as a sadistic piece of poo poo was so fitting.

If you talk to Joshua at the Sorrows camp, he refers to his time in the Legion. He mentions that to get to the NCR they now need to go through Death Valley because "something happened at The Divide" and that a place called big mountain was basically impassible.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

chitoryu12 posted:

"We have no idea if this will actually work" is the worst kind of confidence you can have in a multiplayer game.

Welcome to game development. This just means Bethesda is more honest then most others

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ayy lmao

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
bethesda honest?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Garrand posted:

Welcome to game development. This just means Bethesda is more honest then most others

not to belabor the point, but lol

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

bethesda honest?

:classiclol: As my dad used to say, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm curious as to what lies in the original presidential bunker
That'll probably be one of the first things players make a beeline for to unearth

My money's on Enclave

Or they'll troll us by making it empty, but fill it in with DLC down the line

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That fallout76 making of got me hype again. The game sounds a lot better after more was explained. PVP is still a big question mark for me, but the rest seems like my jam.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Mr Hootington posted:

That fallout76 making of got me hype again. The game sounds a lot better after more was explained. PVP is still a big question mark for me, but the rest seems like my jam.

Based on the doc/interviews this is one thing they're completely screwing up. So if I wanna go kill people, I get one free gank, then they can block me. That takes a lot of fun out of it. If I don't want to get ganked, I'll still get it once. That system doesn't seem like its something either side of the equation wants.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

Based on the doc/interviews this is one thing they're completely screwing up. So if I wanna go kill people, I get one free gank, then they can block me. That takes a lot of fun out of it. If I don't want to get ganked, I'll still get it once. That system doesn't seem like its something either side of the equation wants.

Exactly. Just make pvp only and pve only servers and a charcter can't jump between those types of servers so you cant farm forever in pve and then jump and wreck poo poo in pvp.

Edit: I love that it is that fallout mmo that was rumored for years. It has a ton of mmo elements from what they say in the video.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 13, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheSwizzler posted:

Based on the doc/interviews this is one thing they're completely screwing up.

well, it's kinda the most important part

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Rinkles posted:

well, it's kinda the most important part

Release is going to be a mess. They'll probably backpedal and split the modes eventually on a future update (a pure Rust-style FFA mode with lootable corpses would be great)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

TheSwizzler posted:

Release is going to be a mess. They'll probably backpedal and split the modes eventually on a future update (a pure Rust-style FFA mode with lootable corpses would be great)

I think that's what the Todd man was saying the documentary, he'd rather take a risk with some drama than to make a boring game. They are going to make changes to pvp as it goes live.

What did they haven't talked about is anticheat. If any clown can load up cheatengine and spawn deathclaws it's going to suck.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

bethesda honest?

You know, when I've actually challenged people about this they can't actually find anywhere that Bethesda has actually lied about stuff.

It's always the people/the media misquoting them or stuff that was accurate at the time but had since changed or (my favorite) value judgements like "We think this is good!"

So let's play. Where do you think Bethesda has lied about something?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The jankiness in these games is entirely Bethesda just making janky games. The documentary on their history shows the ways they have upscaled- it's impressive what a skeleton crew the team was during Morrowind, it's also unusual that most of the people who developed Morrowind are still there. There's a human factor to the jankiness- some of their project leads in animation for example are clearly not the best in the biz, but are basically family. Kudos to them preserving that, that doesn't really happen in studios anymore. They're one of the last standing 90s devs, and maybe the only one with such a high retention rate on employees.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

TheSwizzler posted:

I wonder how this "one free kill" thing works with multiple accounts or groups of friends. Like, can a group of four kill you four times as long as someone else is taking the shot, or is a death against that group good to grant you immunity to the group?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The flip side is that it makes the studio very political so it's hard to do new things because everyone falls back onto "this is our process from last time"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

The jankiness in these games is entirely Bethesda just making janky games. The documentary on their history shows the ways they have upscaled- it's impressive what a skeleton crew the team was during Morrowind, it's also unusual that most of the people who developed Morrowind are still there. There's a human factor to the jankiness- some of their project leads in animation for example are clearly not the best in the biz, but are basically family. Kudos to them preserving that, that doesn't really happen in studios anymore. They're one of the last standing 90s devs, and maybe the only one with such a high retention rate on employees.

very agreed on this post, and I think this is probably why I enjoy these dumb janky games so much :shobon: It also this leads to one of their strengths; familiarity. Not just for the devs but for the players. A Bethesda game is a Bethesda game, y'know? It's fun to joke about the shambling corpse of gamebryo, but I swear one of the reasons I've put so many hundreds of hours into their games is because I'm so familiar with how their engine/games work (bugs and all). I think it takes a different mindset than playing other AAA games though, and I think people are crazy for playing Bethesda games on anything but PC because of how much fun modding is and how often I usually need to open the console to tcl out of a buggy mess or similar :v:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Your Computer posted:

very agreed on this post, and I think this is probably why I enjoy these dumb janky games so much :shobon: It also this leads to one of their strengths; familiarity. Not just for the devs but for the players. A Bethesda game is a Bethesda game, y'know? It's fun to joke about the shambling corpse of gamebryo, but I swear one of the reasons I've put so many hundreds of hours into their games is because I'm so familiar with how their engine/games work (bugs and all). I think it takes a different mindset than playing other AAA games though, and I think people are crazy for playing Bethesda games on anything but PC because of how much fun modding is and how often I usually need to open the console to tcl out of a buggy mess or similar :v:

If I had played Skyrim on anything but PC, I would have quit when a sound bug cropped up on my character that caused a whooshing noise to follow me everywhere. I actually had to mod the sound effect to an empty sound file to make it "stop".

That character probably still whooshes inaudibly everywhere he goes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm really worried this game is going to be boring because of all the people saying they just want to hide away and collect garbage by themselves and build crummy bases. PVP and hunting people sounds a lot more fun imo. Its 2076 get with the times

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My favorite part of the Noclip video is when Todd Howard roleplays a VaultTec executive while he talks about giving the players nukes. "what happens when we get a group of players who want to work together and then we get a group of people who want to work against others, and then they get nukes... do they create an online cold war? Do they all just decide to blow up everything? I can't wait to see what they do. It's going to be a lot of fun."

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well here's the more interesting question: we know the Fallout RPG fans are going to play this, because it's loving Fallout, fine.

But is there ANYBODY, who hasn't played the series at all, hearing about this game and going "oh poo poo, I gotta play that!" ? Is this pulling in RUST fans or whatever? That's the point of this game, they want totally new people trying Fallout for the first time.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well here's the more interesting question: we know the Fallout RPG fans are going to play this, because it's loving Fallout, fine.

But is there ANYBODY, who hasn't played the series at all, hearing about this game and going "oh poo poo, I gotta play that!" ? Is this pulling in RUST fans or whatever? That's the point of this game, they want totally new people trying Fallout for the first time.

Im not a fallout guy but initially seeing it I was onboard. Until I learned how the pvp worked now I’m not.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

My brother and I play games with two of his friends who are also siblings. They're both huge into FPS games like Battlefield/PUBG and aren't fans of Bethesda games in general. They are going to pre-order 76.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

lol

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean it's not like fallout 2 sold 7 million copies on loving launch, the franchise is pretty clearly growing. i think once people start hearing about it in ways that isn't Howard crypto-talk a lot of people are going to be interested in Rust, But With Nukes And Not Made By College Students or whatever.

i think at this point a lot more people are Bethesda fans than they are Fallout fans. not that Fallout is bad, obviously, but most of the mainstream appeal in these games is going to come from the fact it's being made by the people who made Oblivion and Skyrim.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm really worried this game is going to be boring because of all the people saying they just want to hide away and collect garbage by themselves and build crummy bases. PVP and hunting people sounds a lot more fun imo. Its 2076 get with the times

There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that. Relax, you'll get your pound of flesh.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Check your emails for B.E.T.A. codes, preorder peeps.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

New interview, this time with Pete Hines, talking for about 7 minutes about FO76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbk9tvpuciY

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that. Relax, you'll get your pound of flesh.

I dunno this thread seems to be in a majority saying things like

IDONTPOST posted:

Im not a fallout guy but initially seeing it I was onboard. Until I learned how the pvp worked now I’m not.

The amount of grief already existing in peoples heads from pvp that we don't have a clear understanding of is impressive. Build a better base or something jeez! Trick or Treat mothafuckas

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That may be the majority of this thread, but I assure you the vast majority of people will basically play this like Fortnite/GTAO but with rayguns. If you've ever seen anyone on twitch playing this game they're either spending 500 hours building the perfect settlement or playing it like an FPS and mindlessly smashing through every dialogue option to get the quest marker to update to go shoot more guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think perhaps the crossover between people who really like the game that fallout 4 is, and the people who like online only pvp rust-alikes is probably not that great.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

Check your emails for B.E.T.A. codes, preorder peeps.

Does it have a date for beginning?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
No date yet included in the email, just a notice that emails will be sent out before it starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think perhaps the crossover between people who really like the game that fallout 4 is, and the people who like online only pvp rust-alikes is probably not that great.

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.