Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for a software that tracks business expenses but that is flexible about inputting foreign currencies and doesn't depend on linking your accounts?

I don't live in the US but I itemize my deductions on my US taxes and my artisanal excel sheet + assorted PDFs folder is starting to get unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah basically 5% Amazon, 4% gas and Costco, 3% travel and restaurants, 2% everything else. Was thinking of adding BCP for the 6% groceries category, because that line item in our budget works out almost perfectly, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If you haven't yet, cycle Discover in there. First year is rotating 10% back categories.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

BCP’s $95 AF means you gotta spend $1700 in non-Costco, non-Target, non-Amazon groceries just to break even. That’s surprisingly tough. Doublecash is easy enough to get 2% without any hoops.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DNK posted:

BCP’s $95 AF means you gotta spend $1700 in non-Costco, non-Target, non-Amazon groceries just to break even. That’s surprisingly tough. Doublecash is easy enough to get 2% without any hoops.
Break even from 0% cash back would be $1,583, $2,375 from a 2% card, or $3,167 from a 3% card such as the Blue Cash. Right?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DNK posted:

Yeah a surprising amount of our grocery goes to Costco but not all of it, there might be 3K left. Part of the reason I didn't just go ahead with the card was getting a baseline - BCE vs. BCP use case.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Break even from 0% cash back would be $1,583, $2,375 from a 2% card, or $3,167 from a 3% card such as the Blue Cash. Right?

Yea the $1700 was rough math. The point being that $1583 would take you back to square 1 and you’d need to spend like $2300 before the BCP beats out doublecash (after the AF).

@2.3k spend DC is +$46 and BCP is +$48 (roughly). That’s non-Costco, non-amazon, non-target. $200/mo in, like, spices and gourmet bbq sauce is hard to do.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

DNK posted:

@2.3k spend DC is +$46 and BCP is +$48 (roughly). That’s non-Costco, non-amazon, non-target. $200/mo in, like, spices and gourmet bbq sauce is hard to do.

I only paint my penthouse apartment wall mural scorpions using gourmet BBQ sauce. Not to mention the primer underneath, which I must remind you is fancier and more expensive than selecter and choicer when it comes to prepping your surface.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Grain of salt, since I'm not familiar with the intricacies of a 457b, but to the best of my knowledge, they're basically 401ks for government and nonprofit. Anyway, I did a rollover from a Roth 401k to a Roth IRA. You can roll any amount of money into a Roth. The limit only applies to new contributions. Googling tells me you can have after tax 457b contributions, but are you sure you did that? If they were before tax contributions (which, at least for 401ks, are much more common), you would just have to open a rollover IRA (which is basically a traditional IRA). Vanguard's website or customer service makes that easy to do. In fact, if some of that 7.5k is employer contributions, you'll have to open a rollover IRA for the employer contributions anyway, even if you contributed after tax. You'd just roll your portion into your Roth, and their portion into the rollover.

They were before tax contributions, you're right. Thanks for the advice! I'll get started on rolling those funds into my Roth.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
How much cash do other homeowners keep on hand for major house repairs and expenses? I've heard the "1% of the value of the home per year" rule of thumb for budgeting, but I'm more trying to figure out a total amount for a "house e-fund". We have a regular emergency fund that would cover ~5 months living expenses if we both lost our jobs. Nothing major in the house is nearing the end of its lifespan. I think I'm hoarding too much cash when we could be investing more for retirement, so I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up the cash we have on hand.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My rule of thumb is have enough cash to replace the air conditioner. Arizona summers are no joke.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Crooked Booty posted:

How much cash do other homeowners keep on hand for major house repairs and expenses? I've heard the "1% of the value of the home per year" rule of thumb for budgeting, but I'm more trying to figure out a total amount for a "house e-fund". We have a regular emergency fund that would cover ~5 months living expenses if we both lost our jobs. Nothing major in the house is nearing the end of its lifespan. I think I'm hoarding too much cash when we could be investing more for retirement, so I'm trying to figure out how to divvy up the cash we have on hand.
Kind of depends on the life of anything at your house, and the price of the house. Its one of those ~it just depends~ things. Things like the roof, HVAC, water heater, raccoons, etc, can happen.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Crooked Booty posted:

I have about $3k in mine, but its for a condo. My biggest expenses would be either a special assessment (not likely, HOA is in good shape) or my HVAC system (which I already know needs to be replaced, and will be in the next couple of months so it's not an emergency). It's mainly there to cover a broken pipe or an appliance that dies unexpectedly.

Anything above and beyond that would have to come from normal savings or be put on a 0% interest CC and paid off over time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm opening up a Roth IRA shortly, and on here it seems like the recommendations have typically been between Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab in that order of preference.

Is there anything particularly bad about ETRADE? The only family member I vaguely trust about money used it exclusively and highly recommended it.

I've got the money set aside to buy a bigass pile of VTTSX to start it up, I just don't want to have to mess around with moving it around between platforms after making an inefficient choice.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm opening up a Roth IRA shortly, and on here it seems like the recommendations have typically been between Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab in that order of preference.

Is there anything particularly bad about ETRADE? The only family member I vaguely trust about money used it exclusively and highly recommended it.

I've got the money set aside to buy a bigass pile of VTTSX to start it up, I just don't want to have to mess around with moving it around between platforms after making an inefficient choice.

E-Trade is okay for an IRA, but there isn't any reason to use them over Vanguard.

The one big disadvantage is that they charge to buy/sell Vanguard ETFs, but it is free with Vanguard.

In theory, not a huge deal. But why go with E-Trade when Vanguard is literally better in every way?

Plus, there is always the possibility that E-Trade could get lovely with prices or policies in the future. Vanguard's business model is much less likely to do that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I thought I was probably missing something obvious - I didn't realize Vanguard funds were free to trade on Vanguard, duh. In that case, easy choice - thanks!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought I was probably missing something obvious - I didn't realize Vanguard funds were free to trade on Vanguard, duh. In that case, easy choice - thanks!

I don't think E-Trade charges for Vanguard mutual fund trades (unless you are selling within 90 days), so you can just do mutual funds and get a similar experience to Vanguard. I personally don't keep any ETFs in my IRA and just do mutual funds, but if you want to do ETFs, then Vanguard is the best and they are fee-free to buy with Vanguard.

So, why go with something obviously worse?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Go with Vanguard.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im apt hunting and i have narrowed down to two options. one is a one bedroom with 1.5 baths, 790sq ft, has in unit washer and dryer, is $860 a month. the other option is a one bedroom that has one bath and no washer dryer, is 769sq ft, runs $756 a month in a nearby neighborhood. in the long run is the $100 a month difference worth it for the bigger unit for the in-house washer/dryer? the bigger one also has waste/sewage/water included in the rent, the other one runs about $30-60 a month. im leaning toward the pricier one for the convenience factor.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
After sewage, etc the difference will be $50-60. Plus an extra toilet. Seems worth it to not have to trek to the apartment public laundry or laundromat.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

howdoesishotweb posted:

After sewage, etc the difference will be $50-60. Plus an extra toilet. Seems worth it to not have to trek to the apartment public laundry or laundromat.

Yeah, definitely factor the opportunity cost of your time as well. Laundry in your own place that you can leave for a few days hours and not worry about getting dumped out or stolen is worth.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My response mirrors the prior two. ~$60 for a guest powder room *and* in unit laundry is very worth it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

In-building laundry at a minimum is mandatory. Laundromats force you to waste so much free time.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Also I wish rents here were that low.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yea get that first one and never look back

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Also I wish rents here were that low.

i had to aggressively search for rents this low. rent everywhere in this city have started moving rapidly since it was announced the raiders were coming here what with the new stadium being built

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a Chase credit card that's five years old and that I don't really use. I may be buying a house in the next couple of years. Other than debt utilization percentage, is there any reason to let it automatically close out? No debt other than a balance I keep on a 0% card and pay minimum on just to have something I'm making regular payments on, and the balance the card I regularly use has at any given time (I pay it down completely every month). ~11 years, 4 months average length of open account according to Equifax as of 11 months ago.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Alright, I apologize in advance for the incoming text wall. This is a list of mutual funds available for investment by my HSA, which is through Optum. I have about $10,000 in it. I am almost 33, pretty healthy, and I have good insurance. So I'm not too worried about needing a lot of this money in the short term. What should I be looking for? I assume a Vanguard fund is the way to go? It seems to be a BFC favorite.

American Beacon Large Cap Value
American Funds Capital World Gr&Inc F2*
BlackRock Equity Dividend K
Columbia Mid Cap Index
Delaware Small Cap Value
Dodge & Cox Income
Dreyfus Small Cap Stock Index
Fidelity Low-Priced Stock
Goldman Sachs Small Cap Value
John Hancock Fdmlt Large Cap Core
Lord Abbett High Yield - I*
Neuberger Berman Genesis Fund - INST
Oppenheimer Developing Markets Inst
Schwab Target 2020 Index Fund I
Schwab Target 2030 Index Fund I
Schwab Target 2040 Index Fund I
Schwab Target 2050 Index Fund I
Schwab Target 2060 Index Fund I
T. Rowe Price Blue Chip - I*
Vanguard Equity-Income - A*
Vanguard Extended Market Index Inst*
Vanguard Global Equity *
Vanguard Healthcare*
Vanguard Inflation-Protected Inst*
Vanguard Life Strategy-Growth*
Vanguard LifeStrategy-Conservative Growth*
Vanguard LifeStrategy-Moderate Growth*
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Inst*
Vanguard REIT Index Inst*
Vanguard S&P 500 Index - A*
Vanguard Short-Term Federal Adm
Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade Inst
Vanguard Small Cap Index Inst*
Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Port*
Vanguard Total Stock Market Inst*
Vanguard Wellington - A*
Virtus Ceredex Mid-Cap Value Equity
WF Core Bond Fund*
WF Discovery *
WF Diversified Equity*
WF Diversified International*
WF Dow Jones Target 2010*
WF Dow Jones Target 2020*
WF Dow Jones Target 2030*
WF Dow Jones Target 2040*
WF Dow Jones Target 2050*
WF Dow Jones Target Today*
WF Global Opportunities*
WF Government Money Market
WF Growth *
WF Growth Balanced*
WF High Yield Bond*
WF Index*
WF Large Cap Growth*
WF Moderate Balanced*
WF Small Company Growth*

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Alright, I apologize in advance for the incoming text wall. This is a list of mutual funds available for investment by my HSA, which is through Optum. I have about $10,000 in it. I am almost 33, pretty healthy, and I have good insurance. So I'm not too worried about needing a lot of this money in the short term. What should I be looking for? I assume a Vanguard fund is the way to go?

You need to list expense ratios to get a good answer.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Alright, I apologize in advance for the incoming text wall. This is a list of mutual funds available for investment by my HSA, which is through Optum. I have about $10,000 in it. I am almost 33, pretty healthy, and I have good insurance. So I'm not too worried about needing a lot of this money in the short term. What should I be looking for? I assume a Vanguard fund is the way to go? It seems to be a BFC favorite.
I’d probably just do this:

Or total market plus some domestic bonds.

Because of the options I have available in my HSA, I do Vanguard S&P500 and Vanguard small cap, balanced as part of the whole. I personally just treat my HSA as part of my overall retirement portfolio along with 401k and IRA.

What do you do allocation wise in your 401k/IRA?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

I’d probably just do this:

Or total market plus some domestic bonds.

Because of the options I have available in my HSA, I do Vanguard S&P500 and Vanguard small cap, balanced as part of the whole. I personally just treat my HSA as part of my overall retirement portfolio along with 401k and IRA.

What do you do allocation wise in your 401k/IRA?

It's all in Vanguard 2045.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
If it were me, I would do:
90% Vanguard Total Stock Market Inst*
10% Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Port*

I would prefer to add in 20-36% of international (36% is what Vanguard is using now, I personally hold less, around 25%) but you don't have great options for int'l.

You could also do the LifeStrategy Growth, its a 20/80 bond/stock with a 38/62 int'l/domestic split. I just don't like that much bond weighting.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

If it were me, I would do:
90% Vanguard Total Stock Market Inst*
10% Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Port*

I would prefer to add in 20-36% of international (36% is what Vanguard is using now, I personally hold less, around 25%) but you don't have great options for int'l.

You could also do the LifeStrategy Growth, its a 20/80 bond/stock with a 38/62 int'l/domestic split. I just don't like that much bond weighting.

Awesome, thanks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone have podcast/audiobook recommendations about careers and improvement? A while back I was pointed to 80,000hours which is a great resource but their podcasts are a little too far off the mark for me. I'm more or less looking for guides on how to get on the right path of doing something I find fulfilling and doing something that pays well.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Is the Career Path thread along the lines of what you're looking for?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

General Probe posted:

Is the Career Path thread along the lines of what you're looking for?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210

Ill ask there, I dont know why I didn't see that thread! Thanks.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
So the bankruptcy thread linked in the OP closed like 8 years ago. Is there a newer one, or should I just read through that one? Because if it's good enough for the President of the United States to walk away from tons of debt, it's good enough for me.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

vortmax posted:

So the bankruptcy thread linked in the OP closed like 8 years ago. Is there a newer one, or should I just read through that one? Because if it's good enough for the President of the United States to walk away from tons of debt, it's good enough for me.
Probably it's still informative, ask away if you have specific questions here.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I guess my only question is if anyone can recommend a good attorney to handle a chapter 7 in central Arkansas? There are tons that advertise on local TV but I have no idea if they're any good.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Have you checked ratings for attorneys on Martindale Hubbard?

https://www.martindale.com/areas-of-law/bankruptcy-lawyers/arkansas/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

General Probe posted:

Have you checked ratings for attorneys on Martindale Hubbard?

https://www.martindale.com/areas-of-law/bankruptcy-lawyers/arkansas/

Oh this is incredibly useful! I will keep this one in mind anytime someone I know needs a lawyer.