Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peanut posted:

Sound like you just need to host a goonmeet and it'll get done for the cost of parts and a three six-packs.

The pyf purchases thread has shown you can get a 30 rack for :10bux: careful what you wish for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

peanut posted:

Sound like you just need to host a goonmeet and it'll get done for the cost of parts and a three six-packs.

Network setup parties are like modern day barn raisings.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

peanut posted:

Is a big stupid antenna tower on the roof an option?

Not according to my wife. We get high winds out here too.

The main problem with that is, we have a standing-seam metal roof and I'm loathe to bolt anything to it. Even when it's sealed up I'm afraid the sealant would flex and eventually pull up from the roof and let water in somehow. We JUST got a huge leak fixed (not the roof per se) and I don't wanna go through that again.

Tomarse posted:

A properly configured wireless bridge should be effectively 'invisible' to the devices on either end, so if you get it setup in advance the installers should be able to cope with it. As mentioned, the ubuiquiti stuff is good.
They will just plug their device into the port on the end of the wireless bridge on the dock with a short ethernet cable and it will behave just like if they plugged it into the LAN inside your house. You can set it up in advance by getting it setup so that you can just plug your laptop into it to demonstrate that it works.

Also, if you are only dealing with 100ft from the house to the dock, you can also buy armoured outdoor cat5 cable, which you could either just bury next to the existing conduit or could run via a slightly longer route to follow borders/fences (just keep it below 300ft or so)

powerline needs it to be on the same circuit/breaker. It also never seems to be as reliable as a decent wireless bridge.

Ok, I'm looking more into this today.

As to powerline adapters, we already have one set up in the house left over from AT&T doing the initial install of our (768Kbps) internet when we moved here. It was never really any good, although I suspect I'm giving it undue blame that should fall on the fact that our internet didn't even qualify as broadband and we were still paying $35 a month for something we could barely use to check email.

Dustoph posted:

Do you have a clear line of sight? What about a directional WAP?

A clear line of sight from the house to the dock? Yes. A clear line of sight from the house to the radio tower? Nope. The radio dish (it's the size of a dinner plate I think) has to go out onto the dock to be able to see around the tall-rear end trees blocking LOS from the house to the radio tower. That's the only way we could begin to make FWB work and get any internet at all.

devicenull posted:

Can you run fiber through the conduit with the electrical? I'm not sure on code requirements there, but 1 gigabit fiber gear is pretty cheap these days.

You mean fiber to take the place of ethernet? I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I don't know if their equipment is even set up to connect to fiber lines.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

If I have a variable-speed HVAC setup, how invasive is it to get multi-zone set up? There's a pretty big difference between basement and top floor, and I'm thinking about dealing with it.

The answer depends entirely on your supply (and somewhat return) ducting setup. If everything is nice a separate right at or near the air handler (it won't be) the worst part of it will be running the wire for a the new zone's thermostat - which could be done with a wireless one. If instead you have one or more supply ducts going to the first floor with one or more of them continuing on to the second with no returns at all on the second floor (much more typical) it's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

life is killing me posted:

You mean fiber to take the place of ethernet? I'm not sure what you're suggesting. I don't know if their equipment is even set up to connect to fiber lines.

Fiber is just another media that ethernet can be run over. And you can get media converters for one or both ends that converts it into copper UTP.

The biggest benefits of that are lightning protection, followed by ground potential differences when making runs like that (ask me about the time I got electrocuted when the shielding of an STP came off of an 8-floor run when the back of my hand brushed against it).

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Fiber would be an option, but you'd likely end up spending a good bit more than a simple wireless bridge.

Wouldn't really matter if their equipment is set up for fiber, you could use a media converter. You'd need two of them, plus the fiber, and termination equipment. That's also assuming that you could even reasonably fish the fiber through the existing power conduit.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Multi-Mode-MC200CM/dp/B0034CMZIG/

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Posted this in the wrong thread so I'll just repost here.

tl;dr: What material should I use to skim coat plaster walls?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Forgive me if this isn't the thread to ask, but I'm redoing a room in my house and I have a question about materials to use for repairing plaster walls.

The room was covered in cheap wood paneling. I quickly discovered that the previous owners had glued the paneling on, and the glue was a good centimeter thick in places. Real old, solid stuff. So scraping that off resulted in a lot of chipped paint, divots, and smallish holes. No cracks, no really massive holes, and the integrity of the walls seem perfectly fine.

I've never worked with plaster walls before, only drywall, so I just want to make sure I'm using the correct materials. I'm using premixed spackling to fill in the damage. Can I use premixed joint compound to skim, same as I would with drywall? I'm not planning on skimming the whole room, just smoothing over and feathering the areas that need it. I've also been reading that I should use joint compound to fill in the larger holes because it's not as stiff as spackling and will be more tolerant of expansion/contraction. Is that all true?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread so I'll just repost here.

tl;dr: What material should I use to skim coat plaster walls?

Having just skim-coated a room for the first time myself, the answer to your quoted question as far as I know is "Yes". I got a few tubs of joint compound and a paint mixer drill attachment (a metal one -- the plastic kind seemed to clog up and quickly become worthless) and watered it down in a separate bucket until it had the rough consistency of mayonaise. Scoop/roll it on and then skim it off. You don't want to use spackling paste of any kind because the vinyl/acrylic won't thin properly. A sanding attachment for a shop vac is also a crucial component to do the final smoothing once you've gotten like 2-3 coats on and everything is dry. And remember that you'll need to prime everything, otherwise the paint will just come right off of the dusty chalky skim coat.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

While we're on plaster chat is therr any way to easily patch plaster cracks?

There are some cracks in the plaster behind radiators in the house i bought. You can't see them but i'm sure they're leeching heat and only going to get worse.

I'd rather not have to get the radiators disconnected to fix them so even if it's hideous, like some sort of tape, it doesn't matter because the radiators hide it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hubis posted:

Having just skim-coated a room for the first time myself, the answer to your quoted question as far as I know is "Yes". I got a few tubs of joint compound and a paint mixer drill attachment (a metal one -- the plastic kind seemed to clog up and quickly become worthless) and watered it down in a separate bucket until it had the rough consistency of mayonaise. Scoop/roll it on and then skim it off. You don't want to use spackling paste of any kind because the vinyl/acrylic won't thin properly.

Okay, that makes sense for skimming. How about for filling holes? The damage ranges from paint-level chipping, to deep nail holes, to a 2"x3" hole near the floor. What is the cut-off between when I should use spackling and when I should use joint compound?

quote:

A sanding attachment for a shop vac is also a crucial component to do the final smoothing once you've gotten like 2-3 coats on and everything is dry.

Pro-tip

quote:

And remember that you'll need to prime everything, otherwise the paint will just come right off of the dusty chalky skim coat.

Oh yeah. The old paint is bright blue, practically neon, so I'll need at least a couple coats of primer.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Okay, that makes sense for skimming. How about for filling holes? The damage ranges from paint-level chipping, to deep nail holes, to a 2"x3" hole near the floor. What is the cut-off between when I should use spackling and when I should use joint compound?

Good overview:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/taping/how-to-choose-joint-compound/view-all/

"Setting" compound you mix and apply like cement. It's good for filling in large gaps / building up in depressions. "All Purpose" compound is what you want to do on top of that as your actual skim coat once you have a roughly flat surface that you want to smooth.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hubis posted:

Good overview:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/taping/how-to-choose-joint-compound/view-all/

"Setting" compound you mix and apply like cement. It's good for filling in large gaps / building up in depressions. "All Purpose" compound is what you want to do on top of that as your actual skim coat once you have a roughly flat surface that you want to smooth.

Perfect, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

jerry seinfel posted:

There are some cracks in the plaster behind radiators in the house i bought. You can't see them but i'm sure they're leeching heat and only going to get worse.

There is definitely some kind of monster tape that people can wrap around whole cracked foundations. Otoh it might not be something to worry about. How massive are these cracks??

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

peanut posted:

There is definitely some kind of monster tape that people can wrap around whole cracked foundations. Otoh it might not be something to worry about. How massive are these cracks??

They're not like giant and they line up basically where the radiator fins are so it's probably just from warming and cooling all the time. I should just get a contractor to disconnect the radiators and fill them and do it right

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
The electrician was poking around the ceiling earlier and found a spot he was concerned might contain asbestos. Older house so no surprise there. But I went to take a look at the spot after work, and underneath the ceiling tile, between the upstairs and downstairs, are wooden slats over something that has a hard outer shell. I'm thinking the slats are just to hold up the ceiling tile, so maybe it's just a facade over an old plaster ceiling :downs:

On the other hand, something tipped off the electrician to make him think asbestos. I didn't get the details from him because I was at work when he called.

Any idea what that might be? Was insulation with a hard or plastered shell a thing?

e.
Some pictures:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just the old ceiling.

just another fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 15, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That sounds exactly like the asbestos that was removed from my high school ages ago. Was like a hard brushed on shell that covers the fibers underneath.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

just another posted:

The electrician was poking around the ceiling earlier and found a spot he was concerned might contain asbestos. Older house so no surprise there. But I went to take a look at the spot after work, and underneath the ceiling tile, between the upstairs and downstairs, are wooden slats over something that has a hard outer shell. I'm thinking the slats are just to hold up the ceiling tile, so maybe it's just a facade over an old plaster ceiling :downs:

On the other hand, something tipped off the electrician to make him think asbestos. I didn't get the details from him because I was at work when he called.

Any idea what that might be? Was insulation with a hard or plastered shell a thing?

e.
Some pictures:

They put plenty of asbestos in plaster and joint compound, too. If it was an old hand who got a close look, he may have seen something telling. Or was he worried about those ceiling tiles?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Would need to see a close up shot of the edges to make a better guess.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm onto my next interior walls adventure and all the framing lumber I've got is bent and twisted from sitting in the garage. I'm going to have to order more it's that bad, like 45° twist over 8'

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

just another posted:

e.
Some pictures:

If that’s a painted cement board panel above the drop ceiling, then sure it’s very suspect. If not it’s no more suspect than any building material used before 1982 or so.

And if it is asbestos and it’s not in some kind of deteriorated state or you have to remove it to do the electrical work, then just leave it there. It’s not radioactive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m gonna need to learn how to plaster. I don’t want to, but I’m gonna have to.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm onto my next interior walls adventure and all the framing lumber I've got is bent and twisted from sitting in the garage. I'm going to have to order more it's that bad, like 45° twist over 8'

I’ve got an awful lot of expensive cladding sat outside right now and I’m very worried about it twisting, some of it already has. Priority for this weekend is to get it inside and airing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

My God, how did anyone ever demo anything before sawzalls?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hubis posted:

My God, how did anyone ever demo anything before sawzalls?

Adzes work well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of demo, as part of our flooring project I'm pulling up the linoleum in the kitchen. They didn't glue straight to the subfloor fortunately, so there is a 1/4" layer of plywood that will need to come up. Unfortunately, the cabinets were put in on top of the plywood and I don't want to move them so I'll need to cut around. Is there a tool better suited for cutting flush at the base of the cabinets than a Dremel Multi-Max?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m not sure what the multi max version is exactly but my go to would be an oscillating multi tool with a semi circular blade.

In other news I was emptying the lint trap on my drier as I always do after it runs and decided to finally open the panel on the front so I could get at the few scraps of lint that I could see had bypassed the filter. I’d been meaning to do this for a while.

Oh what’s this thing? A condenser? Every 30 uses you say? Well I bought it when I moved in 2 years ago and have used it about every 3 days so, how about every 200 uses?

Ergh, can’t imagine why it doesn’t dry as well these days.

Cleared all that out by hand, best rinse out the fins.

Blargh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah!!!!!!!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m not sure what the multi max version is exactly but my go to would be an oscillating multi tool with a semi circular blade.

In other news I was emptying the lint trap on my drier as I always do after it runs and decided to finally open the panel on the front so I could get at the few scraps of lint that I could see had bypassed the filter. I’d been meaning to do this for a while.

Oh what’s this thing? A condenser? Every 30 uses you say? Well I bought it when I moved in 2 years ago and have used it about every 3 days so, how about every 200 uses?

Ergh, can’t imagine why it doesn’t dry as well these days.

Cleared all that out by hand, best rinse out the fins.

Blargh

I... Uhh... BRB :sweatdrop:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hose ours out in the shower, I found a child's sock in it once.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I hose ours out in the shower, I found a child's sock in it once.

Yeah that last photo is a bath not a sink.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

how did you have them stored? Laying down or leaning against a wall?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Laying down on a lumber rack. The problem was more the unheated garage with uncontrolled humidity changes and me leaving them in there for literally months

just another
Oct 16, 2009

With respect to building a french drain, does anything about the procedure or construction change if you're doing in in a crawl space?

My crawlspace has a dirt floor, and the house itself is perched on an incline. The southwest corner is the lowest point in the crawlspace and the ground there is muddy with some visible water in maybe a 3'x6' area.

You can kind of see where the water is coming from here:

I was thinking of putting in a small french drain that would take the water out of the crawlspace and into the backyard, and then putting a vapor barrier down over what I can get at. Achieving the slope shouldn't be a problem.

However, there's also this enormous mound of dirt in the crawlspace:

I'm curious if it's a result of erosion and water seepage in the soil beneath the house because I don't imagine they would have left a big bulge like that when they built the thing. The house itself is sitting on concrete pillars that go down to the bedrock but I don't want to mess with the foundations. There's already a dip in the floor upstairs and I don't know if that means foundation problems or just "100 year old house".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I can’t say specifically so don’t take this as gospel, but what I do know is that a) foundations aren’t supported by dirt outside of the fact that they’re embedded in it, and b) excavating them produces a lot of dirt, and c) it costs money to remove unwanted things from a building site.

So I wouldn’t blink an eye if you told me they’d left it behind during construction

Hubis
May 18, 2003

just another posted:

With respect to building a french drain, does anything about the procedure or construction change if you're doing in in a crawl space?

My crawlspace has a dirt floor, and the house itself is perched on an incline. The southwest corner is the lowest point in the crawlspace and the ground there is muddy with some visible water in maybe a 3'x6' area.

I was thinking of putting in a small french drain that would take the water out of the crawlspace and into the backyard, and then putting a vapor barrier down over what I can get at. Achieving the slope shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious if it's a result of erosion and water seepage in the soil beneath the house because I don't imagine they would have left a big bulge like that when they built the thing. The house itself is sitting on concrete pillars that go down to the bedrock but I don't want to mess with the foundations. There's already a dip in the floor upstairs and I don't know if that means foundation problems or just "100 year old house".

I'm by no means a construction expert or civil/soil engineer, BUT: instead of running a french drain from that low point directly out into the back yard you might want to consider digging one or two above that low point and angled kind of perpendicular to the slope (along the contour line) and slightly downhill. This would move moisture in the soil under your house out of the crawl space before it reaches the low point.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

just another posted:

The joist in your first photo looks like it's fairly wet. Are you sure you don't have a plumbing leak that's causing the mud?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

devicenull posted:

The joist in your first photo looks like it's fairly wet. Are you sure you don't have a plumbing leak that's causing the mud?

Yeah, you can also see a clear erosion gully right under that joist

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I'll try to snap a better picture tonight, but that's not a joist that's wet. The previous owner had a makeshift shelf or something built in the crawlspace and it's the remains of that. Here's the top of it:

And the leaky hole closer up:

It looked like the water was coming out of that hole, not that water was dripping down from above there. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's leaky plumbing somewhere. That's a lot of water coming through there considering we haven't had a heavy rain in a few weeks.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

just another posted:

I'll try to snap a better picture tonight, but that's not a joist that's wet. The previous owner had a makeshift shelf or something built in the crawlspace and it's the remains of that. Here's the top of it:

And the leaky hole closer up:

It looked like the water was coming out of that hole, not that water was dripping down from above there. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's leaky plumbing somewhere. That's a lot of water coming through there considering we haven't had a heavy rain in a few weeks.

I was gonna say, you're gonna have bigger problems if that is a joist, it looked more like a 2x4.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Went back under. It was some old inconveniently-placed shelf like I remember. I noticed more little water wells today, though.

I ventured deeper and found an ancient pipe:

Slowly dripping, but I guess even a slow drip can be a couple gallons a day.

I have no idea what it's connected to, though (if anything), because where I found it in the crawlspace is nowhere near the water line into the house, or the sewer pipe. It was crumbling to the touch.

just another fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

just another posted:

Went back under. It was some old inconveniently-placed shelf like I remember. I noticed more little water wells today, though.

I ventured deeper and found an ancient pipe:

Slowly dripping, but I guess even a slow drip can be a couple gallons a day.

I have no idea what it's connected to, though (if anything), because where I found it in the crawlspace is nowhere near the water line into the house, or the sewer pipe. It was crumbling to the touch.

Hmm...

Do you have central AC? Maybe it's a condensate drain?