Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But actually Warren Spector was on the Giant Bomb late show last night and called Zelda BOTW "like an immersive sim" so who the gently caress knows

I thought it was the Dark Souls of open-world RPGs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

he made cyberpunk and now he sits around retweeting right wing paranoia so we have to listen to him

i only skimmed his feed but he seems more like a hardcore #resistance guy which is only slightly better

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah honestly I used to rag on the name "immersive sim" but I can picture exactly what people are thinking about when they use that term, and I can easily list the games that fall into that category

But actually Warren Spector was on the Giant Bomb late show last night and called Zelda BOTW "like an immersive sim" so who the gently caress knows

Part of the promise of immersive sims is that they're going to simulate reality as close as possible and then let you solve problems in any way that you want. That's BOTW.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dishonored, System Shock, Prey, etc.

Oh first person RPGs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Thief isn't an RPG.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

And Skyrim isn't an immersive sim

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bloodlines-likes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

doesn't even matter because the dumbest genre is still metroidvania

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't care I've just literally never heard that term before 10 minutes ago lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

immersive sim is when you delete the ladder leading out of the pool

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally uninstalled Wildlands, a bad game, that is the equivalent of eating the rear end of a turd.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The residentevil2.com domain had the same OK as residenteviloutbreak.com before e3 the same tab icon, and the same registrar.

Just this time last week that was the only connection but they used the site so I'm really freaking hopeful.

Pleeeeaaassseee Capcom

:allears:

The Outbreak games ruled and I would buy a rerelease immediately, but the environment that made them cool is dead.

The only game that I've played that kind of tried to do something similar was Dead by Daylight, which only let you queue into groups of nameless randos you couldn't talk to and all people did was comolain about it. I thought it ruled even though that game wore thin really quickly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In general games have trended completely away from voice chat being always-on towards opt-in or non-existent, because voice chatting with strangers sucks rear end. So I could see people being open to it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's definitely the genre I thought of while playing it, yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Super Monkey Ball was probably the most influential immersive sim.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are there so many people that keep a mic on but it's just non stop rustling or breathing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Why are there so many people that keep a mic on but it's just non stop rustling or breathing

Probably a hot mic in a lot of cases. Pretty common on PS4 if they have a PS4 Camera (defaults to enabling the PS4 camera's mic).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Most games with voice chat seem to default to push to talk now, at least. Some even dropped voice activation completely, which owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's depressing how many people are so out of shape that you can hear them breathing even when they're just sitting around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah honestly I used to rag on the name "immersive sim" but I can picture exactly what people are thinking about when they use that term, and I can easily list the games that fall into that category

I can see that fitting. It has a similar focus on creating understandable simulation systems that the player can interact with in a bunch of different ways and that can interact with each other to create different gameplay scenarios. It's definitely taking a different approach than Deus Ex, System Shock, and Prey, but there are definite similarities.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

It's depressing how many people are so out of shape that you can hear them breathing even when they're just sitting around.

It's mostly just either really bad mics picking up noise or people setting their mic directly under their goddamn nose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lol if you join public voice chat. Mute all voice unless it's people you know in an out-of-game party.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They didnt know how close they came with the ad lib system.

E: because it reminded me so much of the rat part of the e3 re2 trailer and goddamn that song

https://youtu.be/0HcxMvprYa0

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm Hoplite Kassandra, and this is my favorite agora in the Acropolis.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly don't know how I feel about a game calling itself Assassin's Creed without the Iconic Hidden Blade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly don't know how I feel about a game calling itself Assassin's Creed without the Iconic Hidden Blade

Guarantee it shows up towards the end of the game in a dramatic moment. Canonically, it was used to assassinate Xerxes I, so the technology exists at this point in history.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Guarantee it shows up towards the end of the game in a dramatic moment. Canonically, it was used to assassinate Xerxes I, so the technology exists at this point in history.

Xerxes died somewhere between 30 and 60 years before this game is set (the Peloponnesian war is long) so that seems like an obvious tie-in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There will be a big dramatic midgame scene where the player character digs up the hidden blades buried under their house after swearing they would never use them again.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Have they stopped adding the stupid present-day poo poo to perfectly good rear end Creed games yet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

suuma posted:

Have they stopped adding the stupid present-day poo poo to perfectly good rear end Creed games yet

Never

It's very, very, very minimized these days but there's always like two or three (short) segments

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I was playing a bit of Origins and started getting really into it and then a chapter or whatever ended and suddenly it's present day and they have to show me that actually they plugged a mummy into the Animus and Vanessa would you stop crawling around that tomb!!! and then I stopped playing shortly after for unrelated reasons but it was really bad.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I've never played an asscreed before but all this play as a girl and romance other girls poo poo has me (predictably) interested; are they actually good games?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I've never played an asscreed before but all this play as a girl and romance other girls poo poo has me (predictably) interested; are they actually good games?

They're hit and miss overall but this recent RPG turn only began with Origins, which came out last year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Origins and Odyssey are pretty significant departures from the previous games. They still have light stealth elements, but they're now pretty much just well-made open-world action RPGs, with loot, lots of quests, and things to explore and climb on. If any of that sounds good to you, Origins is a pretty solid game. Big map to explore with legitimately cool things to find, especially if checking out a lovingly-recreated Ptolemaic Egypt appeals, with pretty fun combat and sneaking stuff to do.

Odyssey is leaning even more on the RPG side of things, too.

Further back than that, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are both good, and Black Flag is good specifically for the pirate sailing action.

The thing they never fumble on is making really great recreations of a specific place and time in history for you to run around in. Even the crappier AssCreed games have some cool moments of running around climbing on really detailed recreations of famous buildings and stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can also play as a woman in Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Someone post the montage of Evie's bare-knuckle bone breaking takedowns

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I remember when asscreed was better known as Ezio: the games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The series has its real ups and downs. The Ezio trilogy was when the series hits its stride, though I still think rear end Creed 1 is still an interesting game despite its flaws. Though if you're expecting RPG elements you're not going to get them. Origins was the one that started adding RPG elements and Odyssey is running with that. The pre-Origins games are action platformers with some stealth elements.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can also play as a woman in Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Someone post the montage of Evie's bare-knuckle bone breaking takedowns

Syndicate should've gone for the Odyssey approach and let me play as only Evie so that I wouldn't have to put up with Jacob being dumb and ruining everything all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man maybe I should play that DLC where Evie hunts Jack the Ripper

• Locked thread