Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe picking up Malcolm Mitchell at the end of last dynasty season will pay off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Maybe picking up Malcolm Mitchell at the end of last dynasty season will pay off!

Chris Hogan is going to benefit a lot too. I like him to be the primary beneficiary.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Do you know what my favorite song by the Prodigy was?

Smack My Nick Chubb

Alcoholics Saquonymous: The Definitive 2018 Rookie Fantasy Football Team Names Guide

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Sataere posted:

Chris Hogan is going to benefit a lot too. I like him to be the primary beneficiary.
This is likely true although I wouldn't bump him up too much in redraft rankings. It's only four games and one of them is against the Jags on the road, so you can completely toss out that matchup for Hogan. The others (HOU, @DET, MIA) aren't nearly as imposing but with Hogan as the lone trusted vet of the receiving group for that stretch, it's likely defenses will key in on him. Detroit at least has a top CB in Darius Slay so while their overall defense may not be a problem for Brady, it could be problematic for Hogan. And if Jordan Matthews makes the team, Hogan may not see as many reps out of the slot as he did when Edelman was out last year.

The individual gameplans will likely be quite varied so I could definitely see Belichick upping the reps for the swiss army knife-backs Burkhead and White or trying to go after weaker matchups that Matthews is seeing out of the slot than force-feeding the ball to Hogan. Mitchell will be another option too if he's actually healthy this season. I think my initial read is this could be more advantageous in DFS where you can try and predict one of the cheaper options to hit as an upside Flex.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Is the Goon Fish Bowl going down again this season? Drunk Nerds organized, and it was a good time for all involved.

Went to bump last year’s thread but it slipped into archives.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Is the Goon Fish Bowl going down again this season? Drunk Nerds organized, and it was a good time for all involved.

Went to bump last year’s thread but it slipped into archives.

If I can figure out a way to not do it on MFL, we'll do it

Going to launch a slow mock later this week, if you want in

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

If I can figure out a way to not do it on MFL, we'll do it

Going to launch a slow mock later this week, if you want in

Sure, i’d join.

MFL has some UX issues for sure, but it may be tough to get the level of customization required for the complex SFB scoring on other platforms.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Update on my Dynasty Salary Cap League

I just finally traded away Mike Evans for a 2019 1st round pick.

My Kelce for a first round pick (will be pick 1-5, 1st pick protected), will be decided this Sunday. We put the top golfers participating in the US Open in a hat, and everyone with a lottery pick drew a golfer. Whoever's golfer has the best finish gets 1st pick, and so on and so forth. The guy I'm potentially trading Kelce to picked Jason Day, so I'm rooting for him to finish 2nd out of the chosen golfers. This will be even more fun because my whole league is going to the US Open on Sunday, so we will see the finish live.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's incredible

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How do I do this with the World Cup

Imagine cheering on futbol in order to cheer on football

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When using MFL, when you trade a draft pick, do you need to get one in return? I've played on Yahoo for most years and it always required you to trade an equal number of picks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

When using MFL, when you trade a draft pick, do you need to get one in return? I've played on Yahoo for most years and it always required you to trade an equal number of picks.

Nope.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

How do I do this with the World Cup

Imagine cheering on futbol in order to cheer on football

Well you could take the top 12 ranked teams and put them in a hat. The only issue is that there could be ties(like two teams get eliminated in the quarterfinals), so you'd need contingencies for that

Probably the best way to maximize rooting investment and minimize ties is to put all 64 teams in a hat and each team picks 5. Then maybe they get 1 "win point" for each win before the round of 32 or whatever then the points double each round after that, sort of like march madness. After the world cup, draft order is whoever's 5 teams got the most total "win points"

Id love something like that, the only issue is :effort:

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm still working on trimming my roster to make room and cap space for the rookie draft.

My current team:

Already traded Kelce, pending the result of the draft lottery (1st overall protected).

I have an offer of a 2019 3rd round pick for Funchess. Thoughts?

I also was asked what I wanted to get in return for Crabtree. What should I be looking to get in return for him. Preferably a pick in 2019. Is asking for a 2019 2nd rounder too much?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would not take that for Funchess. He's young, he's basically WR1 on the Panthers, and he's not going to go away, and that's worth a lot more to me than a third round pick.

That said, you do have a couple too many WRs. I'd be looking to move maybe Westbrook ahead of Funchess though. Or Demaryius, who is still good but is old and still stuck on a poo poo team and costing you a fair amount of cap.

For crabs I think a 2019 2nd is about par? He's listed as WR1 for the Ravens, but the issue I see with him is that the WR corps behind him is unimpressive so I expect him to draw the tightest coverage; his fantasy production in Oakland was inflated by Carr preferring him as his red zone target; and Flacco is a middling QB. None of that means that Crabs can't excel in Baltimore, but I see him as a risk right now, and that reduces his value as a trade in the offseason. If you had the roster and cap space to keep him a few games into the regular season, there's a chance his value goes up considerably, but also it could drop, and obviously you're looking to move him now.

For me, for proven players with both upside and downside risks and unknowns, a 2nd round pick is about right. Others may disagree.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I'm still working on trimming my roster to make room and cap space for the rookie draft.

My current team:

Already traded Kelce, pending the result of the draft lottery (1st overall protected).

I also was asked what I wanted to get in return for Crabtree. What should I be looking to get in return for him. Preferably a pick in 2019. Is asking for a 2019 2nd rounder too much?

How much money do you need?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I appreciate the input, thank you!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 13, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How much money do you need?

My draft picks for the 2018 rookie draft (I'm assuming the Kelce trade goes through and I get a top 5 pick in return):

1st round pick ($20)
2nd round pick ($8)
3rd round pick ($4)
TWO 4th round picks ($2+$2=$4)
5th round pick ($1)
no 6th
7th round pick ($1)

So, if I wanted to use all my draft picks (They are voluntary, I don't have to), I would need to be $38 under the $250 cap, which would be $212 before the draft. I would also need to have 7 roster spots available(Out of 25). If the Kelce trade goes through, I think Keenum, Conner, & Darkwa are easy cuts. That would get me to $225 in salary and 1 open roster spot.

I could always trade away some of the later draft picks in return for similar or slightly better picks in the 2019 draft, if I don't want to cut/move as many players.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

My current team:

I forget, are rookie picks only for rookies, or can you use them on FAs? In either case, I'd snap someone's hand off if they offered a random 2019 2nd for Crabtree. I'd also agree a 3rd for Funchess is light, but I'm also not very excited for him with Moore added. I wouldn't bet he's more than a low WR3 (which is still worth more than a 3rd, of course).

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
No offense, but having a 1st round pick take up 8% of your cap year 1 is insane, and will prohibit anyone from ever being able to rebuild through the draft.

5% max but 3% is more reasonable.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just copied another leagues dynasty rules, and this is our first rookie draft, so I guess we will find out in the next year or two.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I tend to think salary cap leagues should be auction. Rookie draft seems counterintuitive to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Our league is the one copied, and we're definitely revisiting the rookie prices, and the reason it's not auction for the rookie draft is really just so we have picks to award by standings and to trade otherwise. But also I had no idea what I was doing and made up like 50% of it as I went along.

Our scale is currently $20 for the first four picks of the first round, then $18 for the next four, $16 for the remaining first round picks, and then halving each round thereafter ($8, $4, $2, $1). We agree this isn't good and will be changing it this year, I believe.

We also have a taxi squad, though, and players on taxi don't affect cap. At all. And you can draft directly to your taxi squad. This is important for dealing with rookie salaries.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Our league is the one copied, and we're definitely revisiting the rookie prices, and the reason it's not auction for the rookie draft is really just so we have picks to award by standings and to trade otherwise. But also I had no idea what I was doing and made up like 50% of it as I went along.

Our scale is currently $20 for the first four picks of the first round, then $18 for the next four, $16 for the remaining first round picks, and then halving each round thereafter ($8, $4, $2, $1). We agree this isn't good and will be changing it this year, I believe.

We also have a taxi squad, though, and players on taxi don't affect cap. At all. And you can draft directly to your taxi squad. This is important for dealing with rookie salaries.

Yea I have the rules set up the same way still. When you decide on what you think is fair, post it in here! What are your rules regarding taxi squads? Rookies only? Can players be claimed/stolen from other team's squads? Can a player ever go back on the taxi squad again after they are promoted?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Our taxi squad rules in my main dynasty league are way better than the other leagues I’m in so I’ll post those.

Rookies and sophomores only on TS. They can move from active to taxi as often as the owner wants throughout the season.

When on TS though only 10% of salary counts against cap.

Players can be stolen off TS only between Tue - Thu (so people don’t go scraping taxi squads Sunday morning if their player is out, etc.

To claim a TS guy you give up the following.

If they were a:
1st round pick - you give up your best 1st and 2nd round picks in next 2 (or 3 if you have paid to deal those picks) draft.
2nd - 2nd and 3rd
3rd - 3rd and 4th
4th - 4th and 5th
5th - 5th and 6th
6th - 6th and 7th
7th - 7th
Waiver Claim - 7th

For example, right now I have Mike Williams on my TS to drop his salary from 3.3m to 330k since I’m tight on cap. Lots of people want him, but no one is willing to pay a 1st and 2nd for him... yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

And what do you have to do to block a claim on a taxi guy you own? Just promote him to the active roster? Isn't that kind of pointless if you can just throw him back on the taxi squad immediately after?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

And what do you have to do to block a claim on a taxi guy you own? Just promote him to the active roster? Isn't that kind of pointless if you can just throw him back on the taxi squad immediately after?

Once the claim is made you can’t block it. It’s up to you to figure out the roster space and cap needed to move him around. Makes it more like a chess match and forces you to pay attention to what’s happening.

But we are an IDP w/ 53 man roster and 10 taxi slots so people get pretty creative and use taxi for many different reasons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, you can't block the taxi claim? So anyone can steal whoever they want off a taxi squad, as long as they are willing to pay the price in picks?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

My draft picks for the 2018 rookie draft (I'm assuming the Kelce trade goes through and I get a top 5 pick in return):

1st round pick ($20)
2nd round pick ($8)
3rd round pick ($4)
TWO 4th round picks ($2+$2=$4)
5th round pick ($1)
no 6th
7th round pick ($1)

So, if I wanted to use all my draft picks (They are voluntary, I don't have to), I would need to be $38 under the $250 cap, which would be $212 before the draft. I would also need to have 7 roster spots available(Out of 25). If the Kelce trade goes through, I think Keenum, Conner, & Darkwa are easy cuts. That would get me to $225 in salary and 1 open roster spot.

I could always trade away some of the later draft picks in return for similar or slightly better picks in the 2019 draft, if I don't want to cut/move as many players.

I'll just go over the individual players.

For my own notes: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX, PPR

Quarterback
Jared Goff ($3M): Keeper
Case Keenum ($2M): Cut.
Andrew Luck ($13m): I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Philip Rivers ($2M): Keeper.

Running Back
Rex Burkhead ($4M): Easy cut if he doesn't pan out, but I would reserve judgement since his upside is high. Good possibility of a waiver dump.
Chris Carson ($2M): Cut. Seattle's line is poo poo and they drafted Penny for a reason.
James Conner ($3M): Cut.
Orleans Darkwa ($2M): Cut.
Mark Ingram ($11M): Well you're stuck with him.
Dion Lewis ($2M): Awesome.
Ty Montgomery ($10M): Intriguing give that it's PPR. Don't be afraid to cut during the season.

Wide Receiver
Robby Anderson ($3M): For $3M you get the presumed WR1 in an under-appreciated offense. Should be a great flex.
Kelvin Benjamin ($10M): Trade. Do a package deal with some lower picks and get him off your team; Buffalo looks like poo poo.
Antonio Brown ($51M): Worth it.
Michael Crabtree ($17M): I can't hate keeping him given the upside in Baltimore. I'd move Benjamin before I moved Crabtree.
Devin Funchess ($2M): Too cheap not to keep.
DeAndre Hopkins ($26M): God drat I love this roster.
Alshon Jeffrey ($21M): He's what, your WR4? God drat.
Marqise Lee ($2M): Similar situation to Anderson. Worth keeping for the price alone.
Malcolm Mitchell ($2M): This could be a viable cut given his injury issues. I would try to move him for picks.
Allen Robinson ($12M): Worth keeping on upside alone, especially if Trubisky looks good. No guarantee he'll start off great but long term potential.
Demaryius Thomas ($21M): Yuuuuup. Keenum isn't an exciting fantasy QB but I think this will be great for Thomas.
Laquon Treadwell ($2M): High probability that he gives you nothing, but I like his potential more than a 7th round pick.
DeDe Westbrook ($2M): Keeper on upside alone.
Kevin White ($2M): Probably the last year I would keep him.

Tight End
Eric Ebron ($2M): I think he might surprise. Apparently the new Indianapolis OC loves to use TEs in his schemes.
Hunter Henry ($3M): RIP.
Travis Kelce ($21M): Sucks losing him in hindsight, but I think you'll be fine.

Including draft picks and removing Kelce you're at 34/$270. Cut Keenum, Carson, Conner, and Darkwa to get to 30/$261. The bottom of your roster is better than most of those late round picks, so you need to either cut or move five players to get to $25. Looking at your roster you have some obvious trades options in Benjamin and your 5th and 7th picks. You also have a lot of upside WRs that could be packaged to look for players with even more upside like Funchess, Mitchell, Treadwell, and White. So that's a total of seven players/picks that you need to reduce down to two.

I would start packaging those up to move up the draft board, get 2019 picks, or use them as leverage to swap other players for RBs or another TE. For example package a 4th, 5th, and 7th for a 2nd or package Benjamin and a pick to move up. IIRC the rookie hit rate beyond the third round is incredibly low anyway.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wow, thank you Beer. That's the perfect write-up. You are the man.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any other dynasty degens play in devy leagues? It’s a fun wrinkle that gets you ahead of the game on rookie scouting.

2019 should be a strong WR class, and 2020 is looking on par with the RB classes of 17 and 18, maybe even stronger.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Wow, thank you Beer. That's the perfect write-up. You are the man.

I should write for a fantasy site or something. I really enjoy doing it, and evaluating stuff like your list helps me keep track of my own situations.

Overall your team is really, really strong. Given the format I can easily see playoff contention. The loss of Henry poses an issue on TE and your RB depth is thin, but you have a significant opportunity to hit the playoffs on the strength of your WRs. I see your starters in the beginning as:

QB: Andrew Luck
RB1: Dion Lewis
RB2: Ty Montgomery
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: DeAndre Hopkins
FL1: Demaryius Thomas
FL2: Alshon Jeffrey
FL3: Michael Crabtree
TE: Eric Ebron

The fact that your team is so stacked that you don't even have to start players like Allen Robinson as a third flex is pretty astounding. That gives you an unprecedented level of flexibility in terms of trade offers and moving players.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I should write for a fantasy site or something. I really enjoy doing it, and evaluating stuff like your list helps me keep track of my own situations.

You definitely should. I agree, evaluating other teams and other situations absolutely helps to take an unbiased look at your own situation.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fact that your team is so stacked that you don't even have to start players like Allen Robinson as a third flex is pretty astounding. That gives you an unprecedented level of flexibility in terms of trade offers and moving players.

It's awesome, I love this team. I took the advice of the thread and was very patient in the startup auction draft. I let everyone overbid on all the big names, and had more money than everyone after the initial rush, basically letting me pick and choose which players I wanted on good contracts. I led the league in points scored last year by a landslide, and would have won the title if not for Brown and Burkhead going down in the playoffs. This is my first foray into dynasty, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Once the claim is made you can’t block it. It’s up to you to figure out the roster space and cap needed to move him around.

If you can't block it you don't need to worry about cap and roster space since there's no blocking right? He gone.

But your other league does something similar to what I want to change our league to (Leperfish's league). Stealing requires you to give up a comp pick. Since it's just rookies and sophomores on taxi I dont think we need to give up a 1st and 2nd for a 1st rounder but giving up a 1st for a 1st is enough to make the league competitive and a little more hands-on. We've got 5 guys who don't trade in the league which really blows, so this way would force them to interact a bit.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

Wait, you can't block the taxi claim? So anyone can steal whoever they want off a taxi squad, as long as they are willing to pay the price in picks?

Yep. The only way to block it is not have them on taxi.

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you can't block it you don't need to worry about cap and roster space since there's no blocking right? He gone.

I mean figure out cap and roster space to get them off taxi so he can't be sniped.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

I mean figure out cap and roster space to get them off taxi so he can't be sniped.

That means you can block the steal. I was so confused for a minute.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
*stumbles into thread*

Hey guys sorry I'm late! Where's the Slow Draft and Fish Bowl??

TWO MONTHS AWAYYYY

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

That means you can block the steal. I was so confused for a minute.

No I don't think that's what he means. He means figure out how to get them on your active roster ASAP before someone claims them.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That's normal though.

"Put him on your roster or lose him 24hrs after the steal is announced."

Whats different? I mean, if you copied our league you have the exact same settings which are pretty standard in FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

That's normal though.

"Put him on your roster or lose him 24hrs after the steal is announced."

Whats different? I mean, if you copied our league you have the exact same settings which are pretty standard in FF.

No, he is saying if you put in a claim for someone they are yours. The owner doesn't have any recourse. There's no period of time for him to block a steal or do anything about it. Once someone says "I claim this player off your taxi squad," he's gone. His original statement was basically saying "figure out how to keep anyone someone might want on your active roster instead of your taxi squad, where they will be stolen."

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 14, 2018