Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xzzy posted:

To absolutely no one's surprise.

It wouldn't be an MMO if it didn't involve wholesale scrapping of your old gear.

I'm not sure what perk you would want on a Better Devils that would turn it into something that shits on a Y1 Better Devils.

It seems if it's a great gun now, so it will remain. New guns can and may shame Y1 gear on a case-by-case but I get the sense a Y1 "god roll" will still be just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

haveblue posted:

The joke gun from Borderlands that yells at you for being a bad person, except it's Cayde

In the lore Super Good Advice would have a voice. And all the ahamkara gear would wisper sweet nothings to the wearer.

Imagine a world where these where actually true, and withouth the risky humour of borderlands.

Or imagine a Thorn that comment on every guardian killed like "Good one, added to the collessstion". "this one will now seeerve the darkness".

Probably is good that we get nothing of that, because is easier to do it wrong, or in a way that is not ok for everyone.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 13, 2018

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Maker Of Shoes posted:

keep playing until you're the lucky rear end in a top hat

literally the end game

Hell yeah, chasing the perfect saladin vigil in archon forge was awesome and fun. I miss it.

Tei posted:

In the lore Super Good Advice would have a voice. And all the ahamkara gear would wisper sweet nothings to the wearer.

Imagine a world where these where actually true, and withouth the risky humour of borderlands.

Or imagine a Thorn that comment on every guardian killed like "Good one, added to the collessstion". "this one will now seeerve the darkness".

Probably is good that we get nothing of that, because is easier to do it wrong, or in a way that is not ok for everyone.

Suck my dick, oh bearer mine

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hunter void blades. Looks a lot like bladedancer except more acrobatic and you can go invisible

https://twitter.com/T1gigz/status/1006855920326881281

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
lmao that looks like pure unfiltered aids and i love it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress yeah, embrace the darkness gets me turgid

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Maker Of Shoes posted:

lmao that looks like pure unfiltered aids and i love it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah I’ll probably just carry certain Y1 guns forever because I’ve always hated random rolls.

They could be fine with a re-roll system or something that says “look, we value your time and will give you what you really want if you accomplish this checklist”. But that goes against the people who want it to provide Destiny with 1400-hour level content growth.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wasn't around for it, but apparently rerolling was a thing during destiny 1, and everybody did it for tens of hours, and it was... Bad?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay apparently you can completely melt the spire boss by using six coils in an empowering rift. They continuously stun him so he can't use rockets.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think it would be cool, good, and in line with Bungie's whole "we want to give you things to build and work towards" apology angle with Forsaken to have both random rolls and sort of a perk re-roll system in line with Masterworks. Just let people re-roll individual perks with Masterworks style cost, so if you get That Gun You Wanted but it doesn't have a god roll you can slowly build it up to a gun you want but you can still find that god roll in your rewards.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wasn't around for it, but apparently rerolling was a thing during destiny 1, and everybody did it for tens of hours, and it was... Bad?

Yes. instead of doing things that would get you another chance at the gun + roll you wanted you just mashed the same button over and over again at banshee

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

actionjackson posted:

Okay apparently you can completely melt the spire boss by using six coils in an empowering rift. They continuously stun him so he can't use rockets.

Have you seen the Calus Surfing strategy where you intercept the balls and toss them back to your team? It's hilarious. Full boss kill in under one second.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People would spend all their time and every resource they had working a particular gun until they got a god roll, then they'd have an advantage in crucible because some of the perks were expected to be balanced by rarity or by the weapon having a less than godlike roll overall. It made for a simpler, more static meta, but also had very onerous requirements to participate, but you had to participate to be competitive, so it didn't benefit the game or the players and was removed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

actionjackson posted:

I wanna see this

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have you seen the Calus Surfing strategy where you intercept the balls and toss them back to your team? It's hilarious. Full boss kill in under one second.

This too

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Static pvp meta with some retarded broken perks so everyone was running ridiculous felwinters and final round snipers

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So they need the perks to be good enough to warrant chasing, but not so good that they're required to be competitive

And they need to be rare enough that it's not a "everyone has them" static meta, but common enough that you can get one with some effort

I liked the late year 3 strategy where every single perk was decent so it was a matter of which of the +range and +stability perks you got on your clever dragon, not whether you got grave robber, third eye, and pulse monitor

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes. instead of doing things that would get you another chance at the gun + roll you wanted you just mashed the same button over and over again at banshee

Or farming for gun parts, which were weirdly super hard to come by at the time. Probably because you still needed to spend them to unlock the perks your gun came with lol.

I also remember this leading to hilarious advice in the thread like "uh, just don't use any of the guns you find ever and you'll have plenty of gun parts!!"

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So they need the perks to be good enough to warrant chasing, but not so good that they're required to be competitive

And they need to be rare enough that it's not a "everyone has them" static meta, but common enough that you can get one with some effort

I liked the late year 3 strategy where every single perk was decent so it was a matter of which of the +range and +stability perks you got on your clever dragon, not whether you got grave robber, third eye, and pulse monitor

Yeah year 3 guns were god danged perfect and they blew it all up lmao

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hulk Krogan posted:

Or farming for gun parts, which were weirdly super hard to come by at the time. Probably because you still needed to spend them to unlock the perks your gun came with lol.

I also remember this leading to hilarious advice in the thread like "uh, just don't use any of the guns you find ever and you'll have plenty of gun parts!!"

Shard the first of everything, brother

Keep the second

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Shard the first of everything, brother

Keep the second

Worth mentioning that this was before Bungie embraced the Diablo philosophy of absolutely raining purples on you and letting you sort out what was good. Back then you mostly got blues so it wasn't like it is now, where you can be reasonably confident you'll get another dick.Summoner v3.2 hand cannon to drop before too long.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

PathAsc posted:

I wanna see this

https://youtu.be/0hsKXpS9Fcg

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I miss renown. I havent played D2 in a long while, it just happened to be that i picked it up last week during the faction rally and the renoun patrolling around planets was the best. There was an objective (do stuff-> get to 5 -> kill boss) that had just enough variability, and the difficulty was fun for me, not too hard, not too easy. I played a bit last night and it just was boring as gently caress. Why can't we turn this on? I don't even care if I get extra drops from it, I just want a fun game to play.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just check the saved twitch videos of xgladd

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

That is hilarious. The yellow bar just disappeared under the onslaught of Wardcliff rockets.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mitztronic posted:

I miss renown. I havent played D2 in a long while, it just happened to be that i picked it up last week during the faction rally and the renoun patrolling around planets was the best. There was an objective (do stuff-> get to 5 -> kill boss) that had just enough variability, and the difficulty was fun for me, not too hard, not too easy. I played a bit last night and it just was boring as gently caress. Why can't we turn this on? I don't even care if I get extra drops from it, I just want a fun game to play.

I don't miss having my recovery turn off because I accidentally completed a patrol in the middle of a public event :mad:

I agree that it gave some much needed structure to faction rally and it's good that it finally gave us a reason to repeat lost sectors, but it's not perfect and overstayed its welcome quite a bit by the end.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

haveblue posted:

but it's not perfect and overstayed its welcome quite a bit by the end.

especially when you were done with the fuckin rally and just wanted to do some ep

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Again, must change:

-Renown effect should only kick in when you're actually in a lost sector
-Cut the time investment by at least 40%
-Add an intermediate perk for wearing a partial armor set

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

haveblue posted:

Again, must change:

-Renown effect should only kick in when you're actually in a lost sector
-Cut the time investment by at least 40%
-Add an intermediate perk for wearing a partial armor set

I will second this.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

People would spend all their time and every resource they had working a particular gun until they got a god roll, then they'd have an advantage in crucible because some of the perks were expected to be balanced by rarity or by the weapon having a less than godlike roll overall. It made for a simpler, more static meta, but also had very onerous requirements to participate, but you had to participate to be competitive, so it didn't benefit the game or the players and was removed.
The flipside to this, as we're seeing now, is that most guns are just always trash. Anyone who gets a drop they haven't seen before asks "is x good?" and promptly shards it when everyone laughs at them in Slack.

If different perks (and different guns) had equal utility but targeted different play styles, it's not an issue. A full armory of They're Good Guns, Brent seems like a lot to ask for, though.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

haveblue posted:

I don't miss having my recovery turn off because I accidentally completed a patrol in the middle of a public event :mad:

I agree that it gave some much needed structure to faction rally and it's good that it finally gave us a reason to repeat lost sectors, but it's not perfect and overstayed its welcome quite a bit by the end.

Right, I think it was an awful decision to make it mandatory, so it should be togglable in the Ghost menu or something.

It’s just such an easy way to add goal based gameplay and a solo difficulty increase that the game is desperately lacking.

Yeah, I know there’s heroic adventures... I just want options to keep things fresh

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

EP shotty is alright, I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hulk Krogan posted:

EP shotty is alright, I guess.

BTW you didn't even use it correctly in this clip. Melee your target and you get a few seconds' buff of "Trench Barrel" or something where you do Lol Bonus Damage

(I'm guessing your allies shot the Lander with rockets in the clip)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Et tu, Pro Gun Control?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Et tu, Pro Gun Control?

dont worry, i got u fam

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Bungies advertising is wild

https://twitter.com/ChrisCaesar/status/1006649920240177152?s=19

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

:thunk:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BTW you didn't even use it correctly in this clip. Melee your target and you get a few seconds' buff of "Trench Barrel" or something where you do Lol Bonus Damage

(I'm guessing your allies shot the Lander with rockets in the clip)

Trench Barrel also only procs if you melee when you have the shotgun out

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Saint 14 shotgun still melts if you're rng poor like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
couple stacks of rampage before mag dumping the remainder into a fat yellow bar still makes paradox v good