Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're probably also betting that people will be streaming it and that'll no doubt get a lot of people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last good story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

People who play RPGs like having some context for the stuff they're killing, yeah. If story didn't matter at all, we'd all just be playing procedurally generated dungeons with rpg mechanics. Maybe whatever skeleton of a story they prop this game up on will be enough to satisfy people, or maybe this game will just be appealing for a different reason entirely, but acting like nobody gives a poo poo about the story in Fallout or Elder Scrolls games is a silly argument to make.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you think there aren't a lot of people who cleared out corvega factory in fallout 4 but wished their friends could have helped?

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

For real

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my argument isn't that you shouldn't give a poo poo about the story, just that the stories lately are vaguely-compelling easily accessible to get people interested in the sandbox. you really think people still play loving Skyrim for the main story, a thing that apparently actually exists? or for any of the stories at all?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

If story didn't matter at all, we'd all just be playing procedurally generated dungeons with rpg mechanics.

can I interest you in one of the more popular genres in recent years, the roguelike?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

my argument isn't that you shouldn't give a poo poo about the story, just that the stories lately are vaguely-compelling easily accessible to get people interested in the sandbox. you really think people still play loving Skyrim for the main story, a thing that apparently actually exists? or for any of the stories at all?

Do you really think people don’t care about NPCs or quests in Skyrim at all?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Computer posted:

can I interest you in one of the more popular genres in recent years, the roguelike?

Of course they exist, but most people haven't played Skyrim or Fallout games thinking to themselves they wish the story would stop getting in the way of all the sick combat. People don't even like the idea of Radiant quests because it makes them feel like the content they're playing has no meaning.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Of course they exist, but most people haven't played Skyrim or Fallout games thinking to themselves they wish the story would stop getting in the way of all the sick combat. People don't even like the idea of Radiant quests because it makes them feel like the content they're playing has no meaning.

the what now

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: I love that it is that fallout mmo that was rumored for years. It has a ton of mmo elements from what they say in the video.

That was Interplay hanging onto the shred of a hope that Fallout 3 would bring them enough money to catapult them to WoW money and not signing over the MMO rights. Then they ran out of time and money because Interplay are a risky die throw for anyone.

Your Computer posted:

the what now

The thing I'm ignoring while on an extended aluminum can hunt.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

like my entire history of playing Bethesda games has been exploring their cool worlds and wishing my friends could participate. i didn't realize there were a ton of people who were going to miss their clearance-rack schlock writing. the last 'good' story they wrote was Morrowind and that was a decade and a half ago.

I would be pretty happy with being able to co-op and save my wife from ghouls. Not interested in being hunted though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Computer posted:

the what now

I feel like deciding story doesn't matter/shouldn't exist is a weird reaction to being unsatisfied with a particular story. Maybe the story should just be better. I mean I'm fine with them trying something different this time, whether I end up liking it or not, but I and a lot of other people would be pretty unhappy if they said they were done making story based rpgs altogether now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Andrast posted:

Do you really think people don’t care about NPCs or quests in Skyrim at all?

i don't think they don't care 'at all', but i do think they care a lot loving less than having an expansive sandbox to gently caress around in, and if someone asked if they'd rather give up the story or the sand box in any given Bethesda game you'd be a loving dunce to answer 'the sand box'.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't mind Skyrim's story - poo poo like "dragon wants to eat everyone in Valhalla" is entirely my jam - but it absolutely gets in its own way from time to time. Like that bit in Cloud Ruler Temple where the characters just talk interminably for minutes on end. This is a video game, show me that poo poo, don't tell me about it.

Not to mention the story is all about fighting dragons, and the dragons are probably the least fun enemy type in the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't think they don't care 'at all', but i do think they care a lot loving less than having an expansive sandbox to gently caress around in, and if someone asked if they'd rather give up the story or the sand box in any given Bethesda game you'd be a loving dunce to answer 'the sand box'.

Quests and NPCs are in fact a very important part of the sandbox

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I and a lot of other people would be pretty unhappy if they said they were done making story based rpgs altogether now.

Sure, but I think that's a pretty drastic response to Bethesda making a multiplayer game. Kind of "end is nigh" don't you think?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Sure, but I think that's a pretty drastic response to Bethesda making a multiplayer game. Kind of "end is nigh" don't you think?

Weird, it's almost like quoting my whole post would have put that in a more sensible context. I know they're not doing that (for one thing, they've openly said they're not as they announced future singleplayer rpgs to calm players/investors), I was just responding to the idea that story doesn't matter and is totally disposable because nobody plays for it anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm going to build ugly walls that don't connect to anything around PVE bases

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've been trying to find info, but can not. Have they said if the BETA is PC, console, or both?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Gort posted:

I don't mind Skyrim's story - poo poo like "dragon wants to eat everyone in Valhalla" is entirely my jam - but it absolutely gets in its own way from time to time. Like that bit in Cloud Ruler Temple where the characters just talk interminably for minutes on end. This is a video game, show me that poo poo, don't tell me about it.

Not to mention the story is all about fighting dragons, and the dragons are probably the least fun enemy type in the game.

Being the leader of the Blades and having them tell you that you HAVE TO kill Parthunax is complete bullshit. I assembled this crew, I will kick you out of this temple just like I kicked you all out of my houses.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinteres posted:

If story didn't matter at all, we'd all just be playing procedurally generated dungeons with rpg mechanics.

speaking of really looking forward to elder scrolls: blades

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I never wanted to do a version of the corvega factory populated by MMO enemies and without any of the pacing you get from a singleplayer fallout, or without any mods, with a bunch of random screaming children I don't know, no.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 13, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Weird, it's almost like quoting my whole post would have put that in a more sensible context. I know they're not doing that (for one thing, they've openly said they're not as they announced future singleplayer rpgs to calm players/investors), I was just responding to the idea that story doesn't matter and is totally disposable because nobody plays for it anyway.

To each their own I suppose, but like I said earlier in the thread I think I spent over 300 hours in Skyrim before doing the main quest and even then I only did it because it felt like an obligation at that point :pram:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I forgot the most important objection to this, which is that I have no friends.

Your Computer posted:

To each their own I suppose, but like I said earlier in the thread I think I spent over 300 hours in Skyrim before doing the main quest and even then I only did it because it felt like an obligation at that point :pram:

I'm not saying the main quest is the point, but side quests are story too. Who plays Elder Scrolls without looking forward to guild quests or daedric quests? Exploration is awesome, don't get me wrong, but having some context behind at least some of it helps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, fallout 4 isn't a very good shooter in the base game. Hell even with mods it's not a very good shooter, but it exists in a world with a lot of stuff in it, while the quality of the writing is never going to win any awards, there's a lot of story content in the game, which if they're going to have no NPCs is daft.

More to the point, I never wanted to roll up to the corvega factory and find that someone else had cleared it out yesterday and there's nothing to do there right now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been trying to find info, but can not. Have they said if the BETA is PC, console, or both?

PS4, Xbox 1 and PC. Xbox Beta starts earlier than the others.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Andrast posted:

Quests and NPCs are in fact a very important part of the sandbox

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do. instead imagine that, instead of relying on npcs to tell you to do poo poo - which has never really been a very good way to play bethesda games anyway imo - it's entirely self-determined, even moreso than it is now. the most engaging stories in bethesda games are ones that aren't even told at all. do you remember hectic fights where you're quaffing potions and slamming dudes off of narrow ledges, or the time a poorly-voice acted slob asked you to forge him a dagger? do you remember Bleak Falls Barrow, or are your fond memories of that section of the game entirely around the dumbass breadcrumb quest that sent you there?

almost every quest in these games is just a way to force you to interact with a section of the world and are very rarely compelling in any way beyond the part of the world they make you explore. you don't need a questgiver for that.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'm just confused where everyone's getting the idea that Bethesda's chasing all that Rust money years after the fact when people have been asking for "this but multiplayer" since Daggerfall at least. People who hate how Rust's multiplayer works have been vocal about that fact since the very beginning. Everything that they have announced indicates that PVP is at the very least limited and beta testing plus forums reactions may result in further changes.

Besides, nothing about integrating the network code from one engine into another purely single player engine and then turning it multiplayer screams "cash grab." Nor does risking a perfectly good triple-A IP, involving multiple studios, hiring people with MMO experience and generating a bunch of new PVE assets and crafting recipes for a PVP game.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Like, fallout 4 isn't a very good shooter in the base game. Hell even with mods it's not a very good shooter, but it exists in a world with a lot of stuff in it, while the quality of the writing is never going to win any awards, there's a lot of story content in the game, which if they're going to have no NPCs is daft.

More to the point, I never wanted to roll up to the corvega factory and find that someone else had cleared it out yesterday and there's nothing to do there right now.

Yeah, imagine this, but with every setpiece, always.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I'm not saying the main quest is the point, but side quests are story too. Who plays Elder Scrolls without looking forward to guild quests or daedric quests? Exploration is awesome, don't get me wrong, but having some context behind at least some of it helps.
Side-quests are nice, yeah. They haven't said FO:76 is going to be devoid of quests anyway, one of the first things Todd said when introducing it was that there will be leveling and questing so if that means more side-quests and less dumb main story then I'm all for it really.

Obviously it remains to be seen what sort of questing there is in 76.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do.

I have literally never done that in any fallout or bethesda game. They put an enormous amount of content in them in that respect.

If you play a bethesda game to content exhaustion you will have played it for hundreds of hours, I would expect, with that sole goal. More probably you will never approach that point because you will have played it to fun exhaustion before you run out of content.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content. now, i don't think that abandoning them entirely is the right call (even if i'm sure we will see some kind of radiant quest analog in f76), but guess what happens when you do all the quests and talk to all the people? you're done. you're out of poo poo to do. instead imagine that, instead of relying on npcs to tell you to do poo poo - which has never really been a very good way to play bethesda games anyway imo - it's entirely self-determined, even moreso than it is now. the most engaging stories in bethesda games are ones that aren't even told at all. do you remember hectic fights where you're quaffing potions and slamming dudes off of narrow ledges, or the time a poorly-voice acted slob asked you to forge him a dagger? do you remember Bleak Falls Barrow, or are your fond memories of that section of the game entirely around the dumbass breadcrumb quest that sent you there?

almost every quest in these games is just a way to force you to interact with a section of the world and are very rarely compelling in any way beyond the part of the world they make you explore. you don't need a questgiver for that.

That sounds loving terrible

and yes I do in fact remember many quests from Skyrim

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'm just confused where everyone's getting the idea that Bethesda's chasing all that Rust money years after the fact when people have been asking for "this but multiplayer" since Daggerfall at least. People who hate how Rust's multiplayer works have been vocal about that fact since the very beginning. Everything that they have announced indicates that PVP is at the very least limited and beta testing plus forums reactions may result in further changes.

Besides, nothing about integrating the network code from one engine into another purely single player engine and then turning it multiplayer screams "cash grab." Nor does risking a perfectly good triple-A IP, involving multiple studios, hiring people with MMO experience and generating a bunch of new PVE assets and crafting recipes for a PVP game.

I think when people said "This but multiplayer", they meant that. They wanted the same kind of experience Fallout and The Elder Scrolls was giving solo players, but now allowing you to play with your friends. Something more like Borderlands, or at least an MMO with towns and quests and a player-run economy. Fallout 76 isn't really that because it has no NPCs or other real settlements, so it's not even a proper MMO. It's a weird Rust-style dungeon crawler where the developers clearly still haven't figured out exactly what they want the experience to be or what people like.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they're an important part of the sandbox *now*. it pains me to have to explain this, but relying on npcs and quests is precisely why games run out of content.

Really not trying to be disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable, but the last thing I'd complain about for Bethesda games is that they don't have enough content. Honestly the best poo poo they do is when they work on a smaller area for DLC, like Far Harbor. I'm still interested in exploring this map at some point tbd, especially if I can have my own map that only people I invite to play with me can gently caress with, but I'd take quality over quantity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm lame so when I play FO games, I almost always take the 'good guy' options.

For some reason I'm getting the urge to be a total piece of poo poo in this game and ruin the day of anyone I come across.

same. like i said earlier. i think it could be fun if you can build a big enough team and base. it could be fun. building different little micro societies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, bethesda games have already done an excellent job of producing enough exploration content, tempered with questing and self-driven objectives like the FO4 settlement system and finding unique equipment, that "oh but what if we got rid of most of that and replaced it with multiplayer" is not something I can imagine very many people wanting. How many people really play bethsoft games and complete all the plot or explore all the space in them already?

If I was to ask for anything in future ones it would be more things like the FO4 settlement system, which was a surprisingly good addition even if it benefitted enormously from mods to expand its gameplay functionality, and more good environments such as the ones shown in the trailer for 76.

But I really, really didn't need them to take out the other stuff that's good about the game and add in MMO mechanics instead, in the process of doing that.

The environments look excellent, but the rest looks like an enormous step backwards if you enjoyed previous bethesda games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao if you don't realize every server will have some roleplaying BoS guy who will kill any griefer if you just get on comms and go 'uh death to muties i guess' and call him brother
I am eagerly awaiting the server that is a full squad of people role-playing as BoS but they only leave like one slot open so the poor random schmuck who connects is just overwhelmed and shuts it off

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Q_res posted:

PS4, Xbox 1 and PC. Xbox Beta starts earlier than the others.

Thanks.

One of the points I've been mulling is getting scratched at here. How does looting work? It will be a kick in the shins if you stumble upon areas that were just looted and their is nothing for you.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Can you loot people you kill and is there fast travel? Have they said anything about load screens?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 13, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Thanks.

One of the points I've been mulling is getting scratched at here. How does looting work? It will be a kick in the shins if you stumble upon areas that were just looted and their is nothing for you.

the general idea seems to be that, given the relatively low population size and the size of the map, there will be trouble clearing it out before whatever timeframe lapses and the areas repopulate. i'm sure there will be relatively high-traffic areas that get cleared out pretty quickly. but i doubt you'll be finding the whole map picked clean of aluminum dinner trays or whatever you need to upgrade your laser rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you loot people you kill?

No. It looks like you get caps and the more people you kill the higher the number of caps someone else can get from you.