Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That doesn't matter much when you play one of them. I feel like the biggest comedy option are still the Ottomans. If you can't get over 1000 development by 1480 you kinda failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I literally forget that lucky nations exist until someone brings it up, as for end dates I have a hard time getting past 1650 because I hate end game wars.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Don't have a single achievement because I refuse to play with historical lucky nations

Same. I want weirder maps at the end of the day.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I just hate sieging level 8 forts. I can stack wipe 40k armies, just have to wait 2 years for that stupid mountain fort surrenders, while the rest of the country burns.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Artillery barrage that poo poo. I feel like forts are actually in a pretty good place right now. They are more than a speed bump as long as nations keep them up to date, but artillery barrage is a good counter to prevent decade long sieges and such poo poo. Doesn’t really work well against extremely fort happy nations like a powerful Ming but that’s an edge case.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hate when sieges get stuck at like 49% or worse because it can't advance any higher. makes me right mad

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

oddium posted:

i hate when sieges get stuck at like 49% or worse because it can't advance any higher. makes me right mad

1 in 2 chance!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
E: wrong thread

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

skasion posted:

Artillery barrage that poo poo. I feel like forts are actually in a pretty good place right now. They are more than a speed bump as long as nations keep them up to date, but artillery barrage is a good counter to prevent decade long sieges and such poo poo. Doesn’t really work well against extremely fort happy nations like a powerful Ming but that’s an edge case.

can't do that if you never bought the perpetually broken MoH

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Threaten War/Enforce Peace/Intervene in War/Break Alliance should really be in the Influence/Great Power tabs of the Diplo macro builder. Probably even dismissable alerts like the 'These guys would hire condi' one. Groogy plz I want to bully people more efficiently.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 12, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

oddium posted:

You get stuck at that because you ain't got enough siege pips.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

wukkar posted:

Threaten War/Enforce Peace/Intervene in War/Break Alliance should really be in the Influence/Great Power tabs of the Diplo macro builder. Probably even dismissable alerts like the 'These guys would hire condi' one. Groogy plz I want to bully people more efficiently.

If you wanna bully people put your back into it. It's humiliating to be thrown into a locker by a lazy bully.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Groogy posted:

You get stuck at that because you ain't got enough siege pips.

you think i'm taking Aristocratic ideas for the naval tradition decay ??

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Do Jews get anything in games converted from CK2? I'm playing a CK2 game as Israel now, intending to convert, and wondering if it gets anything above the base game. The heresies get a ton of stuff, should I be aiming to switch over to Karaites or samaritans or something before the end of CK2?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I would have quite a few more achievements if they applied retroactively. I already took over all of South America (and North America) as Inca, I don't want to do it again! Only have 18% though (with just under 700 hours played.) I need to stop slacking.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MinistryofLard posted:

Do Jews get anything in games converted from CK2? I'm playing a CK2 game as Israel now, intending to convert, and wondering if it gets anything above the base game. The heresies get a ton of stuff, should I be aiming to switch over to Karaites or samaritans or something before the end of CK2?

it's not one of the surprise goku ones, but

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the actual design purpose of lucky nations, anyway? Doesn't certain nations just having good starts (EG: France with its brilliant starting king, excellent traditions and good development) already do this without adding on a second layer of stuff like this?

Like, if Austria always dies 100 years into your test games, maybe give them some better ideas or more starting development or something

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Presumably to simulate the status of the powerful nations of the era and to provide more credible mid- to late game threats without making them completely busted in the hands of players.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 13, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Also lets you make nations historically appropriately strong while also allowing those nations which thrived in history to do the same more regularly.

Totally unrelated but are there any good random small-medium size states with badass monarchs in 1444, other than like, Ethiopia (which is barely small enough for me to consider medium sized) and a bunch of states in India? I like starting out at a power disadvantage but with lots of monarch points to throw around, and yeah I could do a custom nation but I prefer historical ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RabidWeasel posted:

Also lets you make nations historically appropriately strong while also allowing those nations which thrived in history to do the same more regularly.

Totally unrelated but are there any good random small-medium size states with badass monarchs in 1444, other than like, Ethiopia (which is barely small enough for me to consider medium sized) and a bunch of states in India? I like starting out at a power disadvantage but with lots of monarch points to throw around, and yeah I could do a custom nation but I prefer historical ones.

Korea.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Joke Option: Albania

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perm has a 6/4/5 at game start, if you don't mind starting as a vassal on the rear end end of europe.

Albania is actually kind of fun if you can somehow navigate around Ottoman aggression and survive. This often involves joining a trade league, allying with Hungary, and shipping your army to Hungary when you see the Ottomans lining up on your border. Then you use your god general to swing close battles between your allies and the Ottomans. Or if the Ottomans are slow to conquer you, invade Serbia and take their gold mine.

The issue is that Skanderberg typically doesn't have more than 20 years of life left at the game start, so you don't get to make use of his amazingness after you whip the Ottoman's rear end.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 13, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Zazzau's god-queen is pretty fun. Plus you have the best tag, ZZZ.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Zazzau is a pretty good one, I'd forgotten about those guys and I haven't done a West Africa game for ages. Their ideas are a bit poo poo though, and they're tribal.

Aden has a 20 yo 4/4/4 which isn't exactly earth shattering but it's pretty decent and the location / culture / government let you do a lot of fun stuff (fast colonisation of east Africa, you can shift religion to Shia on day 1 if you want, you can potentially eventually form Mamluks)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 13, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so as of 2018 what's the goon recommended general gameplay overhaul mod?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

I tried Veritas et Fortitudo, Common Universalis, and MEIOU and none of them add anything that needed adding.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

EU5

I'm pretty sure most of the thread only uses cosmetic or quality of life mods. At this point there are just so many systems and mechanics in the game that adding more stuff is not very helpful or fun. It would be cool if there was a mod that integrated existing stuff better but then you're basically talking about EU5.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 14, 2018

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Am I right that of the tacked-on DLC mechanics army professionalism and splendor are worth paying attention to but absolutism and innovativeness (why not "innovation"?) can kind of be ignored? Innovation especially seems like a pretty minor bonus even at the max level.

Also any tips on helping innovation spread as Ethiopia? I had to spend like 1500 gold to embrace colonialism while the rest of the world is already on global trade. My capital and a few other random high development provinces are isolated inland and separated from the rest of the world by low dev provinces. I was thinking I could forge a little snake of high dev provinces to help spread but I've been saving all my precious points for the insane +150% tech costs...

I've been expanding into the rest of Africa (along the coast and west into Mali) before facing the Ottomans, but I think maybe I should have gone North earlier instead.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Absolutism is very good if you're blobbing in the late game because it increases administrative efficiency. Disclaimer: I'm bad at this game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

absolutism is insanely good to have. also it's strange to me that court and country is so hard to trigger if you're playing not horribly when it's the quintessential centralization event that eu4 is about

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

oddium posted:

absolutism is insanely good to have. also it's strange to me that court and country is so hard to trigger if you're playing not horribly when it's the quintessential centralization event that eu4 is about

I usually trigger C&C by declaring war on a minor, and let the war exhaustion tick up.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I still can't figure out how to gain absolutism. It's 1740 and I think I have 2 absolutism as very large Ottomans. There's nothing to reduce autonomy on because everything I take over becomes a territory. Do I need to be doing tricks like de-stating or something? Why put in something so critical that has to be gamed? Or am I just doing something wrong?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

I still can't figure out how to gain absolutism. It's 1740 and I think I have 2 absolutism as very large Ottomans. There's nothing to reduce autonomy on because everything I take over becomes a territory. Do I need to be doing tricks like de-stating or something? Why put in something so critical that has to be gamed? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Harsh Treatment/Strengthen Government are my usual way if I'm out of states like that. It takes a ton of mil points, but you can usually get enough if you focus down on them hard enough, and it's generally worth it in my experience. The yearly absolutism age bonus also helps, as does the cheaper harsh treatment age bonus.

Also, don't you get extra states from admin tech? Those should let you reduce autonomy pretty easily.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

break to particularist rebels to raise autonomy in a bunch of places and then smash that autonomy down

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Harsh Treatment/Strengthen Government are my usual way if I'm out of states like that. It takes a ton of mil points, but you can usually get enough if you focus down on them hard enough, and it's generally worth it in my experience. The yearly absolutism age bonus also helps, as does the cheaper harsh treatment age bonus.

Also, don't you get extra states from admin tech? Those should let you reduce autonomy pretty easily.

Yeah I guess I haven't been thinking about that when creating new states. Kinda irks me to have this mini-game built in with no reminders you're supposed to be playing it.

Also I don't have whatever DLC gives bonuses to ages, so that might explain some of it.

oddium posted:

break to particularist rebels to raise autonomy in a bunch of places and then smash that autonomy down

Any way to manipulate them into spawning? I've only seen separatists for a long time.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

If you're not above gamy methods, then get particular or peasant rebels to spawn and give into their demands. Peasants raise autonomy by 20% in your stated provinces and you can immediately lower it again.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 15, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget that Aristocratic Ideas gives you +0.1% a year too. But "unfortunately" it doesn't tick in the background before absolutism becomes available. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Extremely good guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oi9DkyqoPA&t=617s

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Guides like that are why I hate absolutism as a mechanic. It's the epitome of weird-rear end minmaxing that makes absolutely no sense if you're playing like a not insane person, but it makes you so much stronger that you can't really get by without doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I also don't like that absolutism doesn't exist at all for the first 150 years of the game, and then on 1 January 1600 you become Louis XIV.