Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

wa27 posted:

N-E-S was pretty common, and Nintendo started using that in their branding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM9jq74n-NM

I'm sure Nintendo wanted to reinforce that Nintendo is a brand name and the NES is the product, especially once they started getting closer to the SNES launch. Everyone I knew just called that the Super Nintendo, though.

I can't seem to find it, but I know that there was a style guide that made it clear that Nintendo is a brand and not a product. It also contained the correct spelling for Game Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's pronounced "Regular Nintendo"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everyone in Europe called it a Ness and a Sness (or Snez).

I was right

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Silhouette posted:

lol this

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Star Man posted:

I can't seem to find it, but I know that there was a style guide that made it clear that Nintendo is a brand and not a product. It also contained the correct spelling for Game Boy.
The real question is whether it also had the spelling for Game Pak(tm)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

we called it the super ness :hehe:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Silhouette posted:

Yeah, Regular Nintendo was definitely a thing when I was a kid. That and "Enny-yes."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The real question is whether it also had the spelling for Game Pak(tm)

Yes.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Silhouette posted:

100% this. It took me a long time to stop referring to it that way lol

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The only person who says "Nezz/Snezz" that I respect is Jeff Gerstmann

Silhouette posted:

this

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Boomer parents that called NES games "tapes"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
In the same vein, are you still playing that Pokeman game?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
That reminds me of a cigarette company’s internal memos leaking in the 80’s. They got in big trouble because they were telling marketing to appeal to kids and referred to them as the “Artari generation”.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

drrockso20 posted:

My recent experiences with my SNES Classic have reminded me of one of the cruelest things about my preferences in games; I love playing SHMUPS, but I'm absolutely abysmal at playing most of them

I've identified your problem (besides typing shmups in all caps): You're playing SNES shmups.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

I've identified your problem (besides typing shmups in all caps): You're playing SNES shmups.

pff there are some really good ones on that system, yeah its not the genesis or PCE but if my only system was a SNES I wouldn't exactly be moaning about lack or quality of shmups, people just have bad memories of super gradius and super r-type

e: though because he's playing them emulated on an HDTV a problem might actually be that he's playing on a SNES mini, due to the lag

e2: also, playing shmups with a dpad is like running with weights on your legs

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ofecks posted:

axelay, un squardon and r-type 3 are some of the absolute best shmups ever made, so

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Playing shmups with a dpad makes you extremely jacked

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Silhouette posted:

New thread title pls

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Silhouette posted:

Pegnose Pete posted:

New thread title pls

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

axelay, un squardon and r-type 3 are some of the absolute best shmups ever made, so

none of these are Super Aleste, the actual best SNES shmup.

I guess R-Type 3 and UNS are okay. Axelay is... every time I try to play it I get irrationally mad at the first stage because I find it loving hideous and awkward. Super EDF, the Parodius games, Cotton 100%, and maaaaybe Aero Fighters are decent.

Biometal, Blazeon, Imperium, Raiden Trad, Gradius 3, Super R-Type, Darius Twin (and Force), Strike Gunner... all wretched garbage. I've not played Pop N Twinbee or the Macross game.

e: forgot Phalanx, Flying Hero, Acrobat Mission and Thunder Spirits. festering shite, not too bad, the arcade game was crap too, rubbish

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 14, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ofecks posted:

I guess R-Type 3 and UNS are okay. Axelay is... every time I try to play it I get irrationally mad at the first stage because I find it loving hideous and awkward. Super EDF, the Parodius games, Cotton 100%, and maaaaybe Aero Fighters are decent.

Biometal, Blazeon, Imperium, Raiden Trad, Gradius 3, Super R-Type, Darius Twin (and Force), Strike Gunner... all wretched garbage. I've not played Pop N Twinbee or the Macross game.

e: forgot Phalanx, Flying Hero, Acrobat Mission and Thunder Spirits. festering shite, not too bad, the arcade game was crap too, rubbish

you have exceptionally bad shmup opinions

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Question for Colecovision owners: can you point me in the right direction for what controllers you would recommend for shooter use? I’m thinking the stock numpad controller would wreck my day in trying to set the record in Gyruss (like the 5200 almost did, until I apparently cleaned the contacts just so and got a rate of fire out of a button I could work with) and am looking for alternatives if anyone has personal recommendations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
If you want great SNES/SFC shmups that aren't arcade hard but still provide a decent enough challenge get the three Parodius games. Parodius Da! is the first one and medium difficulty, Goukujou is the second and the easiest by dint of being the shortest, and Jikkyou Oshaberi is third and the hardest.

The Game Boy port of Parodius Da! is also shockingly good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Boomer parents that called NES games "tapes"

Wasn't the NES designed to look like a VHS player so parents would be more inclined to buy it?

Discount Viscount posted:

If you want great SNES/SFC shmups that aren't arcade hard but still provide a decent enough challenge get the three Parodius games. Parodius Da! is the first one and medium difficulty, Goukujou is the second and the easiest by dint of being the shortest, and Jikkyou Oshaberi is third and the hardest.

The Game Boy port of Parodius Da! is also shockingly good.

Holy poo poo I just looked it up and yeah, how did they get that to work on the Gameboy?

I love Parodius and cute em ups in general. I think visuals are a big part of shmups, everything should just kind of blow up and come apart and it's better if it's a bunch of dumb animals and easter island statue heads with sunglasses, rather than a generic spaceship (although I also like that look where everything is organic and gross and there's a bunch of grimacing faces on the walls for no reason, like in Gradius). Twinbee is also an underrated game. I have the saturn versions of Twinbee Yahho and Parodius da and they are both really great to play.

Am I the only shmup guy who doesn't really like bullet hells? The reason is not that they're hard for me, but that they're kind of passive, focused on dodging rather than blasting. A bullet hell basically gives you a geometric shape and you have to match its patterns with careful movements, while something like Gradius or Twinbee or UN Squadron is more about blowing up enemies before they overwhelm you, which I think is more enjoyable. I own Ikaruga for example, and finished it, but I'm really not a fan of that style of game.

Here's an amazing shmup, by the way: Summer Carnival '92 Recca, on the NES no less:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY79-3AdGY

Another one on the NES that nobody ever mentions is Burai Fighter (which also has an amazing Gameboy port):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHa2cGYy-Q

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 14, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

wtf

e:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Playing shmups with a dpad makes you extremely jacked

yeah I meant that in the sense of both "it's hard" but also "you'll be better once you start playing with a stick because you'll feel like god"

e2:

Shibawanko posted:

Am I the only shmup guy who doesn't really like bullet hells?

yeah I mostly like games before that era though I really like early cave, up to the PGM era of ketsui and doj (but espgaluda is pretty boring). I think the games released before bullet hell became a thing were way more interesting

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The difference is really that when I'm playing a bullet hell, I'm constantly watching my ship, when I'm playing a normal shooter, I have to have more of a sense of the entire board all the time. It's also just more relaxing and cathartic to blow up cats with CD's for eyes and go go girls shooting UFO's from their skirts than some abstract and forgettable spaceship like in Ikaruga.

I like the bell juggling mechanic in Twinbee, it's just a good original idea and it feels cool to get all those bells into the right colors to get powerups and gives you an interesting risk/reward choice.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 14, 2018

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

d0s posted:

yeah I mostly like games before that era though I really like early cave, up to the PGM era of ketsui and doj (but espgaluda is pretty boring). I think the games released before bullet hell became a thing were way more interesting

I miss 90's Cave :(

Anyway, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is a great SNES shmup, easily one of the better ones of the system.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Question for Colecovision owners: can you point me in the right direction for what controllers you would recommend for shooter use? I’m thinking the stock numpad controller would wreck my day in trying to set the record in Gyruss (like the 5200 almost did, until I apparently cleaned the contacts just so and got a rate of fire out of a button I could work with) and am looking for alternatives if anyone has personal recommendations.

Would it work with the Super Action controller?

I don’t have my Colecovision or ADAM hooked up at the moment, and I don’t think I have Gyruss anyway, but it’s got a real joystick and trigger buttons.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
From the Switch thread, Amazon preorders are up for the run of Smash Ultimate GameCube controllers:

Controller: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJX3Y47
USB adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJX3ZR8

I bought a used GC years ago just after the Wii came out and have a pile of GC discs I work through from time-to-time, but the controller I have, while functional, was kind of gunky since the previous owner played a lot of Melee on it. I've tried cleaning it a few times but it's never been great, so I'm thinking about picking up another first-party controller now as they seem pretty expensive outside of these special runs. I recently got Nintendont working with a Wii Classic Controller but I'm not sure that's as good of a setup, even though it's wireless.

Is $30 for a new first-party GC controller the best we're ever going to do? I imagine with Smash weirdos they're just going to keep going up after this run.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 14, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah $30 is the best you can expect for NIB now. I think that's what they charged when Wii U Smash came out. Also if they do like they did in Japan, there might be white/other colors offered as well in Japan only.

8-player Smash is very fun as long as no one playing takes it seriously.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I wonder if those adapters will work on a Wii U...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zas posted:

I wonder if those adapters will work on a Wii U...

The ones they sold for the Wii U work on Switch so I expect it's just a repackaging of the same hardware.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shibawanko posted:

Am I the only shmup guy who doesn't really like bullet hells? The reason is not that they're hard for me, but that they're kind of passive, focused on dodging rather than blasting. A bullet hell basically gives you a geometric shape and you have to match its patterns with careful movements, while something like Gradius or Twinbee or UN Squadron is more about blowing up enemies before they overwhelm you, which I think is more enjoyable. I own Ikaruga for example, and finished it, but I'm really not a fan of that style of game.

i dislike bullet hell shooters for the same reasons. there's also the fact that so many of them contain weird gross pedo poo poo, and the issue where every single one of them looks and plays exactly the same.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Would it work with the Super Action controller?

I don’t have my Colecovision or ADAM hooked up at the moment, and I don’t think I have Gyruss anyway, but it’s got a real joystick and trigger buttons.

According to the Classic Game Room reviewer, the joystick is somehow worse than the standard. That's actually part of why I'm curious.

I may just have to do the best with what I have to work with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

From the Switch thread, Amazon preorders are up for the run of Smash Ultimate GameCube controllers:

Controller: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJX3Y47

Wow, that looks nowhere near as good as the WiiU version does.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
playing shmups for score is painful

I really like horizontal shmups because the levels tend to be more interesting

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like all kinds of shmups, except for the ones where the levels are all twenty minutes long and you have to shoot every enemy eight times to kill it and the music is bad MOD renditions of Maxi Priest.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
where is the modern version of rtype final? I felt like that game model was really fun and good for all levels of play.. cool unlocks and stages and features..and LORE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ExcessBLarg! posted:

]
Is $30 for a new first-party GC controller the best we're ever going to do? I imagine with Smash weirdos they're just going to keep going up after this run.

The only good Melee player is a dead one.