Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Anthony was one of the better parts about Other M though.

Pretty much the only good part in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just discovered something neat in Horizon yesterday. If you jump towards your mount so that you would land more or less on the back of it and you press the Mount button you will seamlessly land in a riding position on the back of the machine. Works whether you run up to it from behind or jump down onto it from above. And it's good that you have to press the button so that if you and your machine were in a battle you wouldn't unintentionally mount it if you happened to jump near it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

wafflemoose posted:

Not sure how I feel about Pokemon Trainer coming back, Charizard was way better off as a standalone fighter.

Since they got rid of the mechanic where pokemon get tired if you use them for too long, you can just start out as charizard and stay that way for the whole match.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would rather have had Pokey than Lucas.

I'd want to play as Duster. He's already got abilities that can be translated to Smash in the form of his thief tools.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty much the only good part in fact.

Pretty much yeah.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In fact, Anthony could make a plausible Smash character. Between the standard-issue marine rifle, ice pistol, and charged plasma beam, he's only short one special (which I guess would need to be a recovery move). And of course his #1 taunt would be "Remember me?" :v:

Really the biggest problem is that it'd feel kind of weird for all of the characters from a franchise to be "heavy", and it's hard to justify Anthony not being heavy since he's a huge armored dude with a gigantic gently caress-off laser cannon. I mean, I guess Samus isn't heavy when out of her armor, but the Zero Suit design is stupid and I refuse to use it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In the end, there's only so much you can pull out of a series with the premise of "solitary armored figure explores isolated environments full of inhuman creatures." I always felt like Zero Suit and Ridley were pushing it to begin with.

Captain Falcon is even weirder, especially considering how long there hasn't been an F-Zero game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The sa-x would be cool but we're definitely mining old and left field poo poo at that point. An actual Metroid would be funny

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Captain Falcon is even weirder, especially considering how long there hasn't been an F-Zero game.

Dude's had an established (and flamboyant) character design for ages, and an anime where he blows up a galaxy with a Falcon Punch. Hell, all of the racers in F-Zero have wacky character designs that would fit right in in City of Heroes/Villains. When Brawl came out and Pit was in it, he hadn't had a game since 1991. Falcon fits right in.

Honestly the #1 criteria for inclusion in a Smash game is "do gamers have fond memories of this character / their game(s)". AFAICT that's pretty much the only reason why Samus was in Smash to begin with: she's a first-party character in a series that had a wildly popular (in the US) game. Same goes for Fox.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dude's had an established (and flamboyant) character design for ages, and an anime where he blows up a galaxy with a Falcon Punch. Hell, all of the racers in F-Zero have wacky character designs that would fit right in in City of Heroes/Villains. When Brawl came out and Pit was in it, he hadn't had a game since 1991. Falcon fits right in.

Honestly the #1 criteria for inclusion in a Smash game is "do gamers have fond memories of this character / their game(s)". AFAICT that's pretty much the only reason why Samus was in Smash to begin with: she's a first-party character in a series that had a wildly popular (in the US) game. Same goes for Fox.

Bonus points if the character has anything to do with HAL Laboratories and negative-infinity points if America likes/has it but Japan doesn't.

Which is to say that...

Blind Sally posted:

have they added Mike from Startropics yet?
...will never happen.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

In fact, Anthony could make a plausible Smash character. Between the standard-issue marine rifle, ice pistol, and charged plasma beam, he's only short one special (which I guess would need to be a recovery move). And of course his #1 taunt would be "Remember me?" :v:

Really the biggest problem is that it'd feel kind of weird for all of the characters from a franchise to be "heavy", and it's hard to justify Anthony not being heavy since he's a huge armored dude with a gigantic gently caress-off laser cannon. I mean, I guess Samus isn't heavy when out of her armor, but the Zero Suit design is stupid and I refuse to use it.

Zero. Suit. Anthony.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Zero. Suit. Anthony.

Hey, fair's fair. If you're gonna stuff Samus into a stripper suit then you should at least have the decency to horribly objectify some men, too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They should add Claus from Mother 3, and make him weak to lightning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The sa-x would be cool but we're definitely mining old and left field poo poo at that point. An actual Metroid would be funny

Reskin Rosalina into Samus with a pet Metroid

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
All you assholes pretending my boy Kraid doesn't exist I see you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Zero Suit Kraid.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Speaking of Smash Ultimate, one of my least favorite things about tournaments is that there's a set of maybe five levels that are legal, and then people pick/ban based off those same five levels. it's dumb. they're barely different except for size, and if it has platforms or not. This means you see the same background and aesthetics a lot.

In Smash Ultimate, every stage has a competitive (three platforms, uniform stage size) and Omega (uniform stage size, no platforms, basically Final Destination) which means when I watch my friends play SSBU, I can see more pretty stage backgrounds than just Smashville! :downs:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

Ridley in the NES Metroid was about the same size as Samus. His size about as consistent as Bowser's.

Ditto Kraid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The world is shocked when they unlock the latest secret Smash characters: Gex and Klonoa.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No seriously I just wanted Shovel Knight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No seriously I just wanted Shovel Knight.

That's a good idea! For some reason, I can't think of any other characters I'd like to see in Smash, now that they're making a new one again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

thecluckmeme posted:

Speaking of Smash Ultimate, one of my least favorite things about tournaments is that there's a set of maybe five levels that are legal, and then people pick/ban based off those same five levels. it's dumb. they're barely different except for size, and if it has platforms or not. This means you see the same background and aesthetics a lot.

In Smash Ultimate, every stage has a competitive (three platforms, uniform stage size) and Omega (uniform stage size, no platforms, basically Final Destination) which means when I watch my friends play SSBU, I can see more pretty stage backgrounds than just Smashville! :downs:

It's a good feature because fighting game tourneys have a bad habit of exclusively playing on the most boring stages possible at all times

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Smash 4 had Final Destination Mode except, because each stage had a different shape to it, most of them were banned from tournaments anyway because of certain exploits some characters could pull with the geometry, so you still only s ee like five stages.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Smash 4 had Final Destination Mode except, because each stage had a different shape to it, most of them were banned from tournaments anyway because of certain exploits some characters could pull with the geometry, so you still only s ee like five stages.

Hell, you can't even play on Final Destination from Melee in 4, just because of it's shape. It's bottom corners make recovery impossible and getting knocked into them from the side craters you. I was surprised when I learned that, final destination has always been The Meme Stage for being the only one allowed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bread
Eggs
Milk
Onions
Cheese
Fox only
no items
final destination

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Testekill posted:

Backbreaker is a pretty bog standard American Football game except for one thing; it's powered by the Euphoria engine and that means that every tackle and hit causes opponents to ragdoll in pretty amusing or brutal ways. It's a shame that the series never caught on
If you haven't yet, check out the standalone Xbox Live arcade/PSN Backbreaker Vengeance.
Drops the Playing Football (and sadly HERE COMES THE BOOM) part and has a set of minigames/challenges.
-Run an obstacle course dodging players and out-of-bounds to score a touchdown.
-Same thing but you're tackling the runner instead.
-3v1 obstacle course. Three runners, one person trying to tackle.

Actually quite drat fun, that's the game that should of gotten a sequel.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jun 13, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Another thing I really like about Live A Live is the structure - most stories only have a few fights (Ninja, Martial Artist and Mecha excepted also only the latter can really be grinded in) so you end them at the same power you started, but then in the final story when everyone comes together everyone gets to fight random encounters, so characters who had just enough to survive their stories initially, like the wrestler with 320 health, are suddenly levelling up and skyrocketting their stats, some of them reaching 999 health easily.It's really satisfying because most of the stories are really short and restricted, some only having a final boss, then you just get to go hog wild and overpower the hell out of yourself for the end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The world is shocked when they unlock the latest secret Smash characters: Gex and Klonoa.
I guess Crash Bandicoot isn't too out there with the remaster coming out for Switch.

Shantae would be cool

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Cleretic posted:

His appearance is probably less celebrated as less 'yay, Ridley specifically' and more as 'yay, more Metroid representation'. The series has so little in the way of prominent returning characters that the list of viable reps for Smash is literally just him and Samus. I mean, who else is there? Dark Samus would just be a clone even if she has other moves canonically, Kraid is five storeys tall, and nobody wants Adam in anything ever.

So far Smash is 3-for-3 on doing Ridley better than the source material, though. This one came up with a never-explored direction for him that really works, Smash 4 has a better Ridley boss fight than Other M, and Brawl came up with a Ridley cutscene so good that the actual series stole it.

I haven’t been following smash, can you give specifics about what brawl and 4 did so well?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lechtansi posted:

I haven’t been following smash, can you give specifics about what brawl and 4 did so well?

Brawl has a pretty badass cutscene where Ridley grabs Samus, flies into the air, and then slams and grinds her against a wall. Like Cleretic said, it was pretty much stolen for Other M.

I don't know about Smash 4, but "has a better <anything> than Other M" is damning with faint praise. Probably the best Ridley fight in the series proper would be either Super Metroid or Prime 1. Somehow not really surprising considering Prime 1's game design is basically "Super Metroid, except in first-person".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey, fair's fair. If you're gonna stuff Samus into a stripper suit then you should at least have the decency to horribly objectify some men, too.

Metroid Prime 3 had this happen actually! Samus gets onto a Federation ship and people who aren't in armor are wearing the same stupid spandex and it looks just as dumb.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Have you ever heard of the Metal Gear series, my friend

Raiden even wears cyber-heels

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Have you ever heard of the Metal Gear series, my friend

Why am i not surprised

oh right

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Metal Gear Solid goes both ways with objectification

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

His appearance is probably less celebrated as less 'yay, Ridley specifically' and more as 'yay, more Metroid representation'. The series has so little in the way of prominent returning characters that the list of viable reps for Smash is literally just him and Samus. I mean, who else is there? Dark Samus would just be a clone even if she has other moves canonically, Kraid is five storeys tall, and nobody wants Adam in anything ever.

So far Smash is 3-for-3 on doing Ridley better than the source material, though. This one came up with a never-explored direction for him that really works, Smash 4 has a better Ridley boss fight than Other M, and Brawl came up with a Ridley cutscene so good that the actual series stole it.

Apparently in the E3 demo Samus no longer has the alternate Dark Samus color scheme, so it's suspected she'll be a new echo character. (Ike is also missing his Chrom recolor and the Shadow assist trophy has been replaced with Knuckles.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess Crash Bandicoot isn't too out there with the remaster coming out for Switch.

Shantae would be cool
Crash wasn't even in PS All-Stars. He is dead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm honestly surprised WaLuigi wasn't a playable fighter. That said, he can't be just an Echo Character because his model's too unique to derive from another character.

Everyone keeps going on about how he's not in the game. But why would they reveal all of the hidden characters in the trailers?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Everyone keeps going on about how he's not in the game. But why would they reveal all of the hidden characters in the trailers?

Because that's what gamers do?

"RE7 is just a lovely Outlast clone with no combat" is the one that sticks out the most in my mind

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

"RE7 is just a lovely Outlast clone with no combat" is the one that sticks out the most in my mind

What kind of loving moron said that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

What kind of loving moron said that?

You don't read the Resident Evil thread do you? From reveal until launch goons would Kramer in "I saw the teaser it looks like a lovely Outlast clone" "I played the demo it IS a lovely Outlast clone"

The horror game thread did a thing with The Evil Within where they complained about this immortal ghost that followed you around through 100% of the game and would one shot you but I don't know how that turned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Nuebot posted:

They showed he was an assist trophy when they were showing everything else off. He's already confirmed unplayable.