Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mrrshan diplomat greets new Sakkra friend

Is super nice.

What would taste like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Episode XIII: 2425 -

Other than the planet count we aren't very intimidating yet. But as has been proven over and over again, the others are simply 'lagging indicators' here. They will come.

There is a Human-Darlok alliance that I expect to be rather short-lived. Other than that everyone is on decent terms, no wars, etc.

Here's where the real picture is laid out.

** Mrrshan(13)
** Darlok(6)
** Alkari(5)
** Sakkra(5)
** Human(2)
** Bulrathi(who cares)

Planetary Shields coming fairly soon, with upgrades to our warships following next.

Cold War: The Mrrshan Menace's Plan for Galactic Strangulation

So we have twice the territory of anyone else. A number of the planets are new, and some are small. But as we know that will change with tech. I'm last in tech and at the same time in a position to strangle the life out of the galaxy until it begs for mercy and accedes to my demands. Which are to put Empress Nermal on the throne with everyone paying homage to her oppressive cuteness for all time. And then some.

The key elements of that plan:

** Reserve transfers. Five of our 13 systems have 14M or less population, and we are about to add another. Funding the buildup on those at maximum levels is crucial.

** The Tech Chase. Abu Dhabi's contributions are vital here, but there are more and more resources coming in from other systems as well.

** Blockade Toxic/Radiated Systems. We've identified six of these. I intend to press our military edge while it still matters, sending as many ships as possible out to these worlds to prevent our rivals from becoming large enough to challenge us. Right now they'll be ignored by at least the Darlok and Humans, who have only Barren landings. Sakkra tech is still unknown, the Alkari possess Toxic landings though. The Toxic systems nearby their territory will therefore be prioritized for now but I'll need to keep an eye on this.

If I'm able to research either of those techs, we'll be able to make our vice-grip even more stupidly abusive.

** Choice of victory methods. Orion if I feel like it or what-have-you. Council success seems to not be particularly fitting for the Mrrshan, so I'm leaning towards just destroying everyone.

At the moment we have only enough destroyers for a few at each of the blockaded systems -- it'll be several years before we have any at a couple due to travel times. With the number of systems still building up, it'll take some time to get significant numbers of ships out. So it's basically a race to see if we can get to them all before somebody else comes in force.

From the latest round of diplomacy. Cost us Robotics III but the Humans are so small I really didn't care -- and we don't have improved armor coming in anytime soon. It'll help our next round of ships. Also signed a NAP with Lasitus here. We got Terraforming +10M from the Sakkra, and learned they have at least Dead landings(which they were willing to trade) but not Inferno. Don't know if they've leapt higher up that tree or not. Nothing useful from the Alkari/Darloks.

Last of the current round. In 2429, our report on the Sakkra comes in; they have now allied with the Humans and Darloks, but Dead is the best environment they have. So really it's only the Alkari we are worried about striking out, and that only on the Toxic worlds. That really allows me to focus movements of our Leopards, at least for now. I'll need to keep a close eye on the tech situation.

2432. Warship production for the blockade part of our plan has been suspended for a few years and now that will continue as we get these built. Still, ensuring we hang onto what we have has to come before getting greedy. Next we'll take Class V Deflectors.

The Darloks have started attacking us a bit in an 'undeclared war', validated the defensive approach once again. They retreated once, and lost a few destroyers and ten fighters the next time before any of them reached our planet(against a single missile base). We're still in the Defense Is King portion of the game. Also spotted a couple of Alkari colony ships that I thought were headed for one of our blockaded systems, so I braced for battle -- but no, they were on their way on another cross-galaxy excursion.

We've got Sublight Drives in now. Could go Fusion but it's not a huge leap here. I'll actually take the range increase, which could bring another system or two into blockade possiblity. We're currently still at Deuterium(5) so upgrading to Uridium(8) is a significant boost. I'm getting greedy here, only because I can afford to be. At the same time, we start getting planetary shields finished, and only Cygni remains in need of transfer funding.

This arrives in 2439, with turned-rich Beta Ceti just about ready to get our shipbuilding going again. It was time for a new design. I decide to go back and grab the super-cheap Hand Lasers next before moving on.

The current Leopard has a single mass driver so this will hit a lot harder, while being also faster and more durable with the improved armor and engines.

First 1-year research task I've seen, and now a new choice. The bottom two will move things upward a rung. Nice to have the bombs available but I'm not close to needing them yet I don't think. On the other hand I don't feel a particularly strong need for the Fusion Rifle yet either. But since those are the choices I might as well get a bomb with the Omega-V and take the somewhat cheaper option.

By the early 40s research was approaching 1k annually and Beta Ceti was pumping out a quartet of Warcat destroyers each year, meaning every three years each blockade target system would get two of them. This ball(furball?) is finally getting rolling now.

Enhanced Eco Restoration is in. We can get +30 Terraforming for literally less than half the price of +40. Unfortunately these choices also mean that both Toxic and Radiated are not going to be available to us. So we'll need to maintain the blockade until we're ready to steal them or take them by force. For the moment, +30 it is for the quicker economic gain.

I could try and steal the capability from the Alkari, who naturally don't want to trade it and are the only race possessing Toxic. I'm not quite ready to do that yet, but once my fleet becomes competitive with theirs I'll probably work on stealing it by either subservise or aggressive means, whatever it takes.

Last of the current round of advances. The list of possibilities is long, but I go for Robotics IV. The Sakkra and Alkari already have it, unfortunately.

Second time they've asked for a boost recently. I've agreed both times even though this one isn't really worth it -- let's keep them happy by all means.

It begins. Bring it, lizardface. Similar comments from the Darlok. Actually, not similar -- exactly the same. Must have the same speechwriter(s). Spose it's tribute time. I give the Darloks some money but it doesn't move the needle. I just don't have enough saved up. The only three techs they are interested in I don't really want to give them. Frankly I'm just not worried enough about them declaring war, even though they have allies. I'm in a good enough position. If they think they can take me, give it your best shot fellas.

Nermal and Sauron in the High Council once again:

** Alkari(4) - Abstain
** Humans(3) - Abstain
** Sakkra(7)
** Darloks(6) - Abstain
** Bulrathi(1) - Abstain

Well that's new. I've never seen everyone else abstain this late in things. Usually they are picking a side by now. We have a galaxy-leading 9. 2 short of veto power. We vote Sakkra to continue currying favor with them.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 10, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'll laugh if one of your easiest victories ends up coming with one of the races that's lowest-tier.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Of course you should go for Orion! Aren't cats known for their curiosity? What wonders await there? :catstare:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I hear there are shiny things! :swoon:

More seriously, I don't feel like I have a good sense of what an early Orion play looks like on Impossible.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Strangle the galaxy with your oppressive cuteness.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Purple XVI posted:

I'll laugh if one of your easiest victories ends up coming with one of the races that's lowest-tier.

Yeah, it was nice of the galaxy to present that 'Easy Mode' button in the form of an artifacts planet right away. I think it was just building up my spirits and lulling me into a false sense of security for the soul-crushing start to the next one. I haven't finished this game yet, just saying based on the LP history that's probably what's happening.

Manxome Bromide posted:

I don't feel like I have a good sense of what an early Orion play looks like on Impossible.

I don't either, really.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XIII: 2450 -

We were a lot closer in terms of the economy until the other races got another boost recently. Still at least competitive there -- despite the number of systems a number of them are smaller and we need to catch up in robotics. Technology is now close to the weaker competitors, making progress there and also starting to in terms of the fleet. But we are definitely not in position to be starting any major conflicts just yet.

On the diplomatic side, no wars yet. Humans recently allied with Bulrathi but everything else has dissolved. Basically the galaxy is everyone leaving everyone else alone at the moment, but it's time for cracks to start showing in that.

I messed up the rest of the usual start-of-update screenshots. So, the short version:

** 6-8 destroyers coming out per year, and most planets have enough bases for the time being. Trade income is also becoming significant.
** All of the Gatling Laser ships are gone now, the Warcat taking over as the beast of burden. Getting them out to all the blockade planets is becoming a rather annoying micromanagement hassle.
** Nothing imminent tech-wise. Terraforming and Robotics, the most important ones, aren't near completion.

This is our current cause for concern. Regulus is our smallest system(20M max), and has no shield, only a single missile base. Still I think it could handle the destroyers based on previous experience, but maybe not those new cruisers. Right now our relations are strained(Unease) with the shape-shifters, so a diplomatic solution really isn't an option unless I want to give away the store. I decide to try and fight, redirecting as many ships as I can get there in time along with rushing the planetary defenses to try and get the shield done before they arrive.

I sign a NAP with Sauron of the Sakkra. They are at the same point we are in the Planetology tree and aren't going to get anything better than Dead landings it appears, so I'm not worried about sneak-colonizing from them. Might as well make what friends we can for the moment.

2452: The crash program results in completion of the Planetary Shield V on Regulus. Darlok fleet is still a year away, and more cruisers are following it in.

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VQakg8H7A

Lots of ion cannons on those Darlok cruisers, but our bases are still quite effective against their ships. We lost some destroyers there of course but were able to inflict significant damage as well. It's enough to keep me confident in our ability to defend against Darlok attacks for now, so long as the numbers of those death spore ships are limited. Nothing they have there is going to penetrate our planetary defenses.

2455. Ryoun is one of our larger systems(Terran 95M max, Poor). This is basically an annoyance but it will slow down progress some. I have to pull troops from three nearby systems, but a couple years later the planet is back under imperial control.

Trade deals are also upped with the Darlok and Alkari -- both were at 325 BC, now up to 700 and 650.

2458 now. We don't need this right away but for some while it should be enough to give us the option of going on the offensive when the opportunity presents itself. I gamble that the Fusion Beam will be enough to hold us for a while and go Pulson Missile next. The current Scatter Pack Vs are effective now, but the shield tech of our rivals is increasing to the point where that will only last so long. A new primary ship weapon is definitely going to be a goal for the next round though.

As an aside, this set of research is going significantly faster than the last one, even though it's more expensive. That doesn't happen often, but such is the growth the empire has experienced with almost all planets now contributing to research to some degree(except the rich ones).

A couple years later. Interestingly enough, the four races we've met have no active alliances or wars. I think the erratic Humans are part of that, and the fact that the untrustworthy Darlok seem to be in the position of linchpin probably contributes as well. But it's still highly unusual. Relations are Calm with the lizards, but I get the feeling that the slightest aggressive move on our part will light the powder keg.

Darloks put in their two cents as well.

2463, and the next economic wave begins. When it's over, I'm considering gearing up for war with the Alkari -- but we aren't quite ready yet. This will help. Bio Toxin Antidote is next, to take the bite out of the Death Spores which most of our competitors have. It also wasn't worth considerably more to get Terraforming +40M, the only other choice.

Human power is a joke, but still it's a sign of the times. War is coming.

Reduced Waste 60%(we were at 80%, so this is a one-quarter reduction) joins next, our first Construction project to finish in quite some time. Industrial Tech 6 is the only forward-moving option. Automated Repair would be nice, but not nice enough to delay getting better armor or similar things.

It isn't the deal we wanted(Toxic Environs of course), but they give us this for our recently acquired waste-reduction tech. Shipbuilding has been halted for the terraforming/industrialization/missile-building round, but this will give us a reason to make a new design when that's finished. This is twice as good as our current Mk II variant, and will fit on our ships with no reduction in other capabilities.

The latest doubling in our trade deals here. Might forestall them picking the nuclear option with us for a bit longer than would otherwhise be the case. We still have a NAP, our only active one. They are also willing to part with Industrial Tech 5(for RedWaste60 again). Better than we're going to get for a while, and it will accelerate the current buildup and even moreso the one to come when we boost Robotics. Our current prices(Tech 8) are slashed by more than a third. We hand over the Omega V-Bomb in exchange for Battle Suits. That could obviously be problematic when we fight them, but it'll help our ground troops in the interim and despite their warnings I think they are the least likely to attack us at the moment. Besides, I think we can handle them if it comes to that.

2472: War has broken out, sometime quite recently. Darloks vs. Humans + Bulrathi. Time to get some Colonizers active, even if we can only land on Inferno or more friendly. There's also multiple races with Repulsor Beams now, so I think I want to go with Heavy weapons.

Practically speaking, that means upgrading to cruiser size. I have built a modest number of destroyers(Lynx class) with the upgraded battle computers, but we can't fit the Heavy Fusion Beams on that hull and I don't want to get caught with a fleet that can't do anything.

Recons are gone, Leopards will be next to go. I toy with getting some bombers built but I want to wait a bit on that. Probably not a hugely-long time now though. After we get robotics upgraded I'll reassess the situation.

Same nominees, but this here is a surprise.

This isn't; Sakkra/Darlok/Alkari have recently banded together against Human/Bulrathi. Meanwhile 8 votes for the Sakkra, who are still growing a bit on their worlds ...

There we go. I figured somebody would side with them. We get one vote from the Bulrathi, and have 11 of our own. This time we have to abstain. It's a divided Council; vote would be 18-15 in our favor if we voted for ourselves.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I wonder if the AI also reacts to how other AI's vote. I.e., whether Sauron is going to get frowny at the Alkari and Humans now.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That's quite close to a veto block.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personal armor research division, any progress to report?

Good. How about you, ambassador to the Alkari?

https://i.imgur.com/QoE8lbp.mp4

Excellent. And the construction research group?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Personal armor research division, any progress to report?

I see our camouflage systems are working well.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:colbert:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Burlathi?

Also, Empress Nermal heartily approves of the Pringles can.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Management was very surprised by how the research division chose to interpret the idea of power-assisted mechanization for combat purposes.

https://i.imgur.com/J9oB2Ow.mp4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thotimx posted:

Burlathi?

Kitty no spell good but is still super nice. Also your thread title has a freaking typo in it buster, even if I weren't going for adorable kitty being super spy with his crayon box :eng99:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rappaport posted:

Kitty no spell good but is still super nice.

I'm waiting for Thotimx to research Armored Exoskeleton to post the Mad Cat pics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In light of many human citizens finding it difficult to take Mrrshan diplomats seriously in the wake of supporting Nermal's bid to lead the galaxy, human entertainment put together pro-Mrrshan propaganda.

https://i.imgur.com/GBX1gGy.mp4

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XIII: 2475 -

There was a time when I was almost equal to the Alkari in fleet; that was about 20 years ago before I got terraforming in. Then they went on a building spree while our resources were spread more thinly, and the rest is history. While our total system count continues to dominate, many of them still aren't that great. Combine that with the fact that we are behind in industrial techs, and progress in the key areas of production and technology is very slow if it exists at all. That's a temporary situation, but since I've got an iron-clad long-term strategic grip on things I keep looking for a quicker way to end this militarily -- and then talking myself out of it.

The galaxy has finally - and right on schedule, too, late 25th century - divided into warcamps alliances. The three most credible powers(Sakkra/Darlok/Alkari) against the two weaklings(Human/Bulrathi). The presumptive losers there hold a combined three systems. I have thought of gaining from this situation, by building some bombers and going after Sol. It would seem prohibitively expensive for getting just one planet out of it, even a homeworld one. Or even two, if we don't care about the genocide penalty.

For quite a while now we've been holding at around 10% bases, 10% ships in maintenance costs. The range of missile bases can also currently be seen, with our targets in the 10-30 range roughly at the moment. There are a couple reasons I've wanted to go on the attack aside from just 'I'm obviously winning'. One is just to do something different. If I'm going to be aggressive - well, the Mrrshan are an aggressive race. And then there's all the Warcats; 150+ destroyers with Fusion Beams that will be obsolete soon because other races are going to at least potentially deploy their recently-discovered Repulsor Beams. That means attacking somebody; the Alkari are too strong, so we'll join in after the Humans perhaps. But even there, I'd need to design a bomber ship, and the Omega-V is plenty powerful but still takes a lot of space(8 per cruiser is what I can fit on), requiring a big investment in building those. And any attack against a fortified systems is still going to hurt -- a lot. Part of that is due to speed; we have Sublight(Warp 3) engines and need to get that a couple notches higher before we even start to overcome the natural advantadges that missile bases start with. The inexorable calculations of MOO are what they are; attacking before you have a moderate amount of tech is a costly proposition.

Of course, this is the other reason why it really doesn't pay right now. Along with range and deflector shield improvements, we're about to join our three primary competitors in the modern age of robotics, and embark on an economic expansion. Doing more than getting started on the next-gen fleet with a few Sabretooth cruisers just isn't going to happen until that process is finished. And even afterwards, building that foundation and transitioning to the new ships while trying to at least catch up in tech given our strong, nearly impregnable position is the most sensible play. Not what I want to do, but it's what the situation calls for. If I'm patient, there is absolutely nothing they can do to threaten Mrrshan supremacy. And so patience and continued growth is the move here.

By the by, the Alkari have hilariously not come after the Toxic systems I'm guarding once, and none of the others have developed the ability to do so(jury still out on the Darloks tech development though). I never would have guessed that only one race would get Toxic and none Radiated. All of that distributing the Warcats around turned out to be ultimately unnecessary, but was still clearly the right move. One can't predict things like the random, unsuccessful cross-galaxy trips the Alkari have chosen to engage in, or the remote odds of the tech falling this way in the first place. In a sense the Warcats were purely wasted - but really, they have served a preventitive role. It's just one of those things where I put a lot of energy and time playing the game and sending them out, not to mention the BC that went into producing them. Having them involved in only one or two small skirmishers with the Darloks, in which their efforts weren't even really necessary, isn't much of a payoff.

That was rather wordy. We have a Colonizer ready and are building another in case there's an opportunity to go 'spoils of war', which would require somebody taking down a Human system. Failing that, Nermal will let the others bleed themselves in a destructive war while we continue to ramp up and prepare for the real conflict to come. Another option I considered was espionage against the Alkari(to get Toxic tech), but the risks of getting into what would be a purely defensive war seem to clearly outweight the unlikely benefit. In the meantime, we'll be able to draw on more trade income than they can, since we're engaged with both sides and just sitting on the sidelines munching popcorn basically. That trade for Industrial Tech 5 has been quite useful already, and is clearly going to be much moreso in the years ahead.

Takes two years for Class V Deflectors to be next in. I can't find a compelling argument for getting a marginal boost to those over taking Repulsors for a little under half the price. It seems to be the right time for that. Also, in an interesting nod to miniaturization savings, base maintenance drops by 1.5% instantly.

That's 'Empress Nermal' to you, Lasitus. This will be a hilarious fail on your part considering the empires already arrayed against you. It's 2479, and Uridium Fuel Cells show up. We'll go to Impulse Drives(Warp 5) next. That'll bring us the mobility we need, and three more unoccupied systems are now within reach.

Nice try. You're not taking these Toxic planets. Trying to expand will be dangerous ... for you.

Ummm ... ok. Why nobody has yet bothered with a Tundra system to this point is beyond me. But sure, we'll take that. It'll be simple enough to divert some of our existing ships as a garrison until it's built up, and now a couple more systems are within scouting range ...

You rule only Ursa, idiot. Which is just above this.

Had to include this shot as much as I've mentioned it. Took it's sweet time in prototype phase, arriving in 2484. Now we can ramp up again and see where we sit economically compared to the others now that we'll be on even footing. ECM Jammer V is our project of that strain.

Lol. Dorks. Sakkra gave us a stern warning as well. They've allied with the Humans which looks like the reason for this. Recently colonized Whynil is really the only system I consider to even be at risk here. However relations with the others are dicey as well. We're starting to get a big 'size' hit to those. Looks like it'll be 'gang up on the Mrrshans' time again soon. Only this time the Mrrshan are holding a very strong hand.

I think about going for the usual Security investment, but decide to wait until we've got most of the factories built.

With the arrival of Pulson Missiles, we are left with these choices. New ones are the bottom three. Gauss Autocannon and Particle Beam are both of the 'halve enemy shields' branch which isn't really what I was hoping for here, which makes this a tough decision. Having just gotten a missile, I also don't really want to go for another one. There's also the fact that neither of the beam weapons here have the range I'm looking for to counteract repulsors. I decide to go with the Hercular Missiles since the others aren't really going to help us at all from what I can see. We've already missed the first level of Torpedoes; I'm really hoping we get the next one.

We reach the next two systems at the same time; one is uninhabitable but this one is very fine. Criminal that it hasn't been settled yet. Most of the fleet will be sent there immediately in an effort to hold it, but given the position on the extreme left edge it will take at least five years for our ships to arrive. Eight years for troop ships with colonists. The two red stars in the extreme upper-left remain outside of our range even with this acquisition, but everything else has been identified as either taken or empty.

Interestingly, the very next year an Alkari colony ship, with no escorts, shows up at Maalor. The lone Sabretooth still there(the destroyers were all sent on) handled it easily.

Had to give up Pulson Missiles to get this, but it's a nice upgrade for us. The Sakkra are the only race with torpedo tech but they aren't sharing it. Darloks have also recently acquired Toxic Landings, joining the Alkari with that, but neither is interested in giving it up either.

Most of the empire took three years to finish upgrading the factories, at the end of which we were one of three economies standing above the rest. It looked like Darloks first, us second, Sakkra third. Not as good as I'd hoped, but better than we were. Really need better terraforming to unlock the potential of our systems. Sakkra are ahead of us there at least, with +40M and Atmospheric Terraforming. The latter would be huge for us. We've already missed on soil enrichment, but Atmos and Advanced soil enrichment are still coming up in the tree so we could get those yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2n45Fnms-I

2489. Finally we are challenged by the Alkari, who take Morrig. Nobody has come for Moro, the rich system I sent the destroyers to. I still plan to make the birds our first victims, it's just going to take a bit here. After toying with the idea of starting that fight now I decide it's still better to wait. The two new systems are the tipping point in that calculus; I want to defend them with the fleet until they can't defend themselves anymore. Then hopefully we'll be ready to strike out.

The Antidote is in, and nice choices here but I'm defintely taking Atmospheric Terraforming. I'm also shoving more funding than usual into research in general; I want to get the Repulsor Beam before I build the next ship class.

In 2490, the Alkari are back at Maalor. 3 Colony Ships, no escorts, and once again we easily dispatch them. So far just the one system has been lost from our blockade. The Repulsor comes in 2495, at which point I've got the reserve up to my target(equal to annual imperial production of over 6k now) and have been funding extra research on Abu Dhabi for a few years. Class VI Deflectors, one better than our current V, is the only available force-field tech.

Here's the new ship. Even with the repulsor added, it still is able to carry an extra heavy fusion beam over the current Sabretooth's loadout. The Hyper-X Rocket is just the best thing available to use up the remaining space; they pack enough punch to get through currently available shielding for minimal damage. A destroyer-class bomber is also designed, called the bobcat. One of the oldest destroyer classes had to be scrapped to make room, but these should be effective against any enemy.

In 2498, Lasitus of the Humans requests peace, having never once made a single move to attack any of our systems. We agree.

2499, as we prepare for the next vote. I was probably about a decade away from making this move myself. They really just did me the courtesy of doing it for me.

Nermal and Sauron are nominated once again:

** Alkari(4) -- Sauron

They're not at war with us anymore, but have been with the Sakkra for a long time.

Sauron's not really getting any bigger.

** Darloks(7) -- Abstain
** Bulrathi(1) -- Sauron

We have 12 votes out of 34, giving us a veto ability. Abstaining is the only move here. Looks like a military conquest has basically been thrust upon us whether we wanted it or not, but since that was the plan anyway, it works out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does the Mrrshan combat advantage stay relevant into the endgame conflicts? Or is it so minor compared to tech advantages that it doesn't really matter?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Looks like it's all over but for the yowling.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PurpleXVI posted:

Does the Mrrshan combat advantage stay relevant into the endgame conflicts? Or is it so minor compared to tech advantages that it doesn't really matter?

it's pointless in the case of missiles and torpedoes but it's quite helpful with beams until quite late.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XIII: 2500 -

As soon as we start getting Panthers in position, I'll recall our older designs from the outlying systems, most of them being at Moro on the far left. When they get back, it'll be time to begin the Alkari conquest. That'll take several years, during which our fleet should be able to equal if not surpass theirs. The Mrrshan Empire is now competitive if not superior in every comparison.

Sakkra are the only ones still comfortable tolerating us, and even that is temporary.

The old destroyers(Warcat/Lynx) should still be of some use against the Alkari. The goal is to use them up there while building more Panthers & Bobcats, then upgrade to the next generation of ships which we'll likely have the tech for by then. We're at 10.1% ships, 10.6% bases maintenance right now so there's still room for this to grow.

About to finish up researching factory costs that are worse than what we already have. That's not exciting, but Impulse Drives will be a major step forward, and new missiles & ECM will also prove useful. Research is still proceeding at a decent pace but is slowing down for all races; another reason why it's time to get this show on the road.

2501. Others are coming to the same conclusion. I think we'll be ready to attack in six years.

Meanwhile this is happening. They may well get through our defenses on Ryoun, a large poor terran system. I'm guessing they chose it because of it being an easier target(13 bases). I'd need our fleet to be concentrated in order to credibly oppose such a force, and that's not going to happen in time so we'll see how our improved bases hold up. The new missiles just went into prototyping so if we get that finished in time, which could go either way, it'll help.

https://youtu.be/mTWe8pSIvgs

The Pelican-class fighters with nuclear bombs were of virtually no threat(max. out at 12 damage, we have 10 in shields). That left the Condor cruisers which were easily eliminated. However, the larger fleet was still coming.

Another example of 'attack the weak point'. Regulus is our smallest system. Still, it looks the galaxy is going to make a real effort to stop us here.

https://youtu.be/WingJBmu13U

Looks like they've got enough firepower to make it through after all.

Irrelevant basically, but this looks to be the work of the Darloks.

The next year. Doesn't totally change the dynamic but it will definitely help. Nobody else has missiles this good yet. The only next-tier option is the Disruptor, which I have yet to field in this LP. However, it has the range we need and does considerably more damage than the Heavy Fusion Beam(10-40 compared to 4-30). This also means that we missed out on the top bombs(Neutronium) and a second torpedo option(Hellfire).

Meanwhile Moro, the big-for-being-rich Tundra planet on the left edge, has it's Planetary Shield up and running. Two years now until the fleet is gathered at Cygni and I decide what to do with it.

https://youtu.be/k6EFYK4TRyg

We barely hold off the Darloks at Regulus ... looked to me like it was just going to go on and on, I wasn't sure why I started doing more damage after going to auto - until I realized I'd been using the wrong missile type. Oops. In any case, we got a total of three techs in at the same time: ECM, Impulse Drives, Industrial Tech 6. Only the second one really matters. Next picks are ECM VI(only choice), Andrium Armor, and Ion Drives. All are modest steps up from current capabilities. Then the Bulrathi asked for peace and got it. It was a busy year.

The Alkari have expanded their fleet enough that it could be dicey to go on the attack. They also have this force headed to Denubius, which we could probably fight off with the existing base defenses but I'm not certain of it. I decide to support that defense with our ships for now.

In 2510, a big Darlok fleet takes Maalor; we had no chance to stop them with the few ships that were there. The blockade is breaking, having perhaps outlived it's usefulness. The next year, the Alkari hit both Denubius and Cygni.

https://youtu.be/lGtnwMwGPyo

I lost more of the older ships than I needed to, mostly because I didn't care what happened to them. Main takeaway is they are fielding a lot of Tachyon Beams, which our Repulsor Beams can completely neutralize. Our most recent Panther cruisers are highly effective against current Alkari designs. The few remaining Warcat and Lynx ships(old destroyers with just standard Fusion Beams) are scrapped as basically useless. I think it's time now to hit back. The next thing to learn is how effective our bombers will be against their planets.

https://youtu.be/Pl_RmSuveOo

That would seem to be quite an effective demonstration. In terms of invasion, I expect the Alkari to have a significant tech edge at first. We need about a 3:1 troop advantage, so it'll be one planet at a time until we steal some of their stuff. Meanwhile there's a big Darlok fleet headed for Denubius that looks like it'll be tough to handle. This really feels like the key point in the struggle.

The first wave does worse than expected. 25M lost, 6M Alkari. We're going to have to really flood the zone and go nuts here. Second wave(83M vs. 36M) had better luck and nearly finished it off.

Grr. The Alkari sent in troop transports and most of them made it through ... because most of my ships are needed for Denubius. Or at least I think they are. I'll revisit the situation once the Darloks arrive. For the moment at least this is really quite an interesting war -- neither side clearly able to overcome the other.

In 2519, the second and larger Darlok force hit Denubius, which only had a few cruisers left to aid in the defence. The main functions the Panthers serve are to basically soak up missile fire(which they suck at, so I lose a fair amount, but it still isn't hitting the planet that way) and to play centerfield and keep opposing ships away with the repulsors. With Denubius safe for the moment, we got after Thrax again ... which gets down to just 3M Alkari for a second time before they once again get new transports in. I need to get off this merry-go-round eventually.

And now I get to divert resources to a major economic project in the middle of all this. Good problem to have of course. Unfortunately the only thing from the next tier we get is Doom Virus, which means no soil enrichment unless we get it from somebody else. I've seen enough though that I'm convinced our missile bases can hold back almost any attack without the support of the fleet -- so what cruisers we do get will go to blockading Thrax against any more incoming transports. I'm confident this is going to turn my way, it's just being real grindy at the start here.

Well now they'll be even less of a factor -- because there are no other systems they can leverage in terms of investing in a cure.

https://youtu.be/AhM8LJ5nEq4

On the eve of the vote. That's a lot of Pelican fighter-bombers. I'm glad they waited a bit, or I might not have been able to take them all out in time. Once that was done, the other ships could do only limited damage.

** Alkari(4) - Sauron
** Humans(3) - Nermal
** Sakkra(8)
** Darlok(7) - Sauron.
** Bulrathi(1) - Nermal

This makes the count Sauron 19, Nermal 4, out of 34 votes. 11 for us -- we'd have more if it wasn't for the constant population drain heading to Thrax. So we abstain again, and things continue on as they have been.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This is both tense and awesome.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
... I wonder if it's even possible for a species to go extinct in MoO due to a plague exterminating the only planet they have...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kaosdrachen posted:

... I wonder if it's even possible for a species to go extinct in MoO due to a plague exterminating the only planet they have...

Would the RNG take a penalty to diplomacy?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Randalor posted:

Would the RNG take a penalty to diplomacy?

The RNG is already deeply unpopular so I’m not sure if you’d notice.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

CathodeRaymond posted:

The RNG is already deeply unpopular so I’m not sure if you’d notice.

Well played indeed. First time I read this comment I thought 'um, what?', then sniggered when I realized what you were saying.

kaosdrachen posted:

I wonder if it's even possible for a species to go extinct in MoO due to a plague exterminating the only planet they have...

I don't think so. I'm not entirely sure it's impossible, we've seen weird things like me colonizing a planet I already occupied in the Sakkra victory. But generally I'm pretty sure it works like waste/bioweapons do and has a lower limit(probably the starting 2M you get after colonizing). I.e, waste/radiation accidents/etc. can't reduce a planet below the 10M size minimum. A comet is the only way I know of to totally destroy a planet, rather shocking that supernova doesn't do that but it just severely damages it. So if a comet hit the homeworld, then yeah hasta la bye bye. But plague I think would only be able to keep the population real low at worst, it wouldn't actually kill them all off.

PurpleXVI posted:

This is both tense and awesome.

Tensome? Awense? In any case, glad the 'Easy Mode' button presenting itself hasn't ruined enjoyment of this particular misadventure.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Think what you want of it, Dread Arengee must always propitiated.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

** Note: It hasn't happened often in this LP, but I need to get my butt in gear and play more MOO soon. I'm less than 40 years ahead of the end of this update right now.

Episode XIII: 2525 -

Only a 10M boost, but we only had to give up Bio Antidote to get it. The same price gets us the Inertial Stabilizer, which most of the others have but we do not, from the Humans.

Here you can see the pressure that the war is putting on the Alkari. Their fleet isn't nearly as good as it once was as we're regularly blowing up their ships(and the Darloks, but not as many). Technologically we're pulling ahead as well -- it's turning our way, slowly. Ryoun, the one system we did lose, is back under our control and very slowly rebuilding. Their attacks gradually become less and less of a threat, which allows more ships to be sent to Thrax - we're taking more of a bite out of their transport fleets lately.

Humans and Bulrathi love us attacking the birds, giving us stable but irrelevant peace here.

New deflectors and then a while later the Disruptor are the next toys here. Once the new gun comes in it'll be time for a new ship design. After a couple of years, we get the new shields and the Alkari offer peace. Not interested, but it is the latest sign that they are wearing down.

Not good news to be losing our best 'friend'. Thrax is going better though. In 2532 we incinerate the second consecutive convoy of around 25M Alkari troops with either none or close to that getting through. Meanwhile the population is under 10M again and getting lower every year.

A few years later, and the roughly 20-year effort that seemed twice as long finally ends. What do we get for our trouble?

** Battle Computer MK III(*yawn*)
** Class III Deflectors(same)
** Tachyon Beam(worse than what we have)
** Controlled Toxic Environment(now that's what I'm talking about!)

The next year, as we move on to Morrig, a tiny Toxic world nearby. A new toy is here. Proton Torpedoes are next, which would make our ships a threat to any planet. But for now this will definitely do.

I designed a new ship(Leopard) to take the place of the Panther. And then didn't save the shot of the fleet specs :(. The Leopard is basically a faster, harder-hitting version of the Panther, featuring the disruptor and the latest engins. I thought about putting some shields on it but they wouldn't help that much against missiles which are about the only thing we get hit with regularly. I would have had to take a disruptor off and I didn't think it was worth it. Still going with Battle Scanner and Repulsor Beam for the specials. We've also got started on building some Toxic Colonizers. We could make a better bomber design as well to replace the Bobcat, but it looks like that is going to be enough for the Alkari campaign. If not, I'll slap something together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUkMVSLpiM

Our first look at the Sakkra ships, though they quickly ran away. I am highly unimpressed.

Only open one right now, at least in range. The Darloks are coming, so I sent the bulk of the fleet here to make sure they don't hang around.

We've taken their best shot at containing us. Worked for a little while. Frankly there is now little if anything the galaxy can do about it. Humans and Bulrathis add in more toothless warnings.

A third of the troops shown here, plus a few more million, died of exposure. Morrig only has a 10M maximum. Not enough factories for us to get anything of value, so the same grind continues. As much as I'd like to go for the jugular at Altair, I'd like to get some ground combat tech from a smaller system first so we can limit how many Mrrshan have to get poured into the meat grinder. The birds still have four systems.

Good luck with that. Last I saw the Darloks had 60M transports incoming to Obaca, and control of the orbit. I'd say you have problems of your own.

The Humans were true to their word, sending ships to both Centauri and Whynil. The latter had defenses up, but this is a new system. Had a few Panther cruisers there, but their battleship, which they brilliant named Battleship class(literally), had enough missiles(11 5-rack Pulsons) plus one heavy beam weapon. We did about half damage to it. So I had to send in reinforcements, which will take a few years to get there, particularly with all our ships headed the other direction. I'd have used that thing to try to retake Obaca ... but what do I know.

While our primary fleet destroyed the defenses at Incedius, our next target, the Alkari finally sent a fleet strong enough to Ryoun and glassed that system again. It was about up to half population. Was. Isn't anymore obviously. We'd repelled literally a dozen or so attacks with just two Panthers, but they kept trying; this time they had about 20-25 of them, and enough missiles to do the job.

The Humans have left Centauri, distracted by matters elsewhere, but still a larger garrison must be sent there. We'll retake Ryoun as well, but there's only so many places the fleet can guard at once. If this keeps up it could really hamper our invasion.

There are 230 factories here, many more than on our previous couple of conquests. Probably a quarter-billion Mrrshan will eventually be required to conquer this, but the rewards should be significant.

Haven't seen this in a while. In other news, the first, big invasion wave to Incedius cut their numbers to 27 million, a little less than half. Then it was back to the grind, cutting them down little by little. The reduced workforce also ballooned maintenance costs to over 34% -- they had been at 30% or so for some time anyway -- so the old 'only rich systems build ships' rule was implemented again.

Been trying ever since the wars started, but 2548 was the first success. What do we want here ... I'd like the Fusion Rifle more than anything they have, so I go Weapons.

Nope. Hey look it's a 'black cat'. A third peace offer from the birds is rejected. This one's to the bitter end.

Sabotage has become fairly regular, but no more than a minor annoyance. Still, this is just here because I haven't shown our homeworld in a while.

High Council

The last two votes had 34 total. This one has 35. And it's never been anyone but Nermal and Sauron. Shall we yawn away together?

** Alkari(3) - Sauron. We've taken a vote away from them at least.
** Humans(1) - Sauron. They're down to the minimum because of the Darloks
** Sakkra(10)
** Darloks(6) - Sauron. Well that sucks. Must have made peace with them.
** Bulrathi(1) - Abstain.

20-0 against us. I'll abstain just because with our 14, which is two more than we need for the veto and it's with half our planets half-empty. We're basically in 'undeclared Final War' territory here now. That's a lot better than a declared one since they aren't pooling their tech.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Totally digging the aesthetics of this cat's sneak suit with the scorpion tail and hand pincer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think that's just its hand, the Mrrshan are tridactyl.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's tense because my impression is that things can always go fucky if the RNG hates you enough.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dong Quixote posted:

Totally digging the aesthetics of this cat's sneak suit with the scorpion tail and hand pincer.

You can say 'catsuit', you know. :haw:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XIII: 2550 -

A lot of update screens coming here. First, we are basically equal with the Sakkra, maybe a hair ahead now in the overall. Technology and fleet continue to crawl closer to the leaders. Empire size gets more ridiculous all the time. Slowly, but it's coming.

Literally three years ago the Sakkra were basically on the verge of war with us. But they decided they hate the Alkari or the Alkari decided they hate them, or whatever. And by the way, Alkari and Darloks are both at war with Sakkra - yet both voted for them. That's rare, but it's basically a measure I think of the galaxy giving me the middle finger. It's like they're saying 'we know you're going to conquer us and use our blood and entrails as garnish, but don't think it's going to happen without every bad thing we can send your way.'

The state of things is basically that everyone is at war with everyone. That's not completely true, but there are no alliances and everyone has at least three wars. The whole Sakkra/Darlok lovefest has been over for decades now and that was really the only chance for a coherent resistance on the other side of the galaxy. Frankly this is helping us, because as this has developed attacks on our systems have lessened. We still get them, but attention is divided.

Everyone Hates Everyone, with rare exceptions.

I accidentally did a monochrome thing with this, then left it that way for the lulz. The Leopards are gradually taking over the heavy lifting with Panthers more and more on garrison duty. It's a slow process with only a few systems building them, because ...

That's a lot of maintenance money going out. Sakkra trade agreement has been capped at maximum for a long time, which is a rarity. I don't want to re-up because it isn't worth it, given that we could be at war with them at the drop of a hat.

The left side has changed somewhat even as we've slowly reined in Redwing. Both Sakkra and Darlok have benefited a bit at the expense of unclaimed territory or humanity.

** Mrrshan(19)
** Sakkra(8)
** Darlok(7)
** Alkari(4)
** Human(1)
** Bulrathi(1)

When we take Incedius, we will have half of the colonized planets. By ourselves.

This has, overall, been the most micro-heavy run I've played. The transports here are but the latest example. Since the opening there's been very little 'next turn hammering' at all. A fulfilling game in terms of MOO handing us a break for once, but the practical gameplay has been very tedious. The fast start meant lots of pop transfers, then it was getting all the ships out to the blockaded planets every year(you can't use the RELOC lines that I'm doing here with planets you don't control). Now it's the constant population transfers. If it's not a rich/artifact/other side of the galaxy planet, it's sending transports to Incedius every year.

It's working -- down from 27M to 21M over the last few years, and with newer systems like Morrig starting to contribute now the volume is increasing. But doggone it this snowball can't pick up momentum fast enough. I've known I was going to win for over a century, and still it's this grind ... grind ... grind ... grind that just won't stop - at least the way I'm playing it.

ECM isn't that exciting and neither are a couple of other things. Construction(new armor will help in more effective invasions) is really the only one that moves the needle aside from the torpedoes, and those are the two that look to be the latest coming in. There's not a whole lot worth trading for with the other empires anymore.

Adding to the tedium are the repeated dumb battles. I'll wait for a good example of those, but I don't expect to have to wait long.

ECM VI comes in, and I really wanted more Robotics. Didn't get it. Hyperspace Communications instead.

I doubt we hold it, but this is interesting.

Yeah, I don't have the ships to spare to go fight that. Amusingly the other two incoming fleets are just colony ships. Back to the old 'every turn we have it is a turn they don't' idea.

https://youtu.be/t4jXsEetbvo

Here's a good example of the 'dumb/annoying' battles that I often have multiple every year(though thankfully less since the EHE diplomacy was invoked). This is at Ryoun, and after the missiles are gone it's basically just keep them away from the planet and wear them down. It would of course go faster with more ships -- but I need to blockade whatever Alkari planet I'm invading so they don't get transports through, and I've got several systems that need defending as it is, so there's only so many cruisers to go around. Most of the time they aren't even firing on me. Repulse - Repulse - Repulse - Repulse - absorb missile salvo - fire Heavy Fusion Beams - Lather.Rinse.Repeat.

Over. And over. And over. And over. I am enjoying this game, but it's like a backhanded gift having a starting advantage and then being compelled to go through this to complete it safely.

Ion Drives are in, and the High Energy Focus is the only choice. Meanwhile Nazin gets orbital death.

Back up to 20 systems here. More importantly, what's the loot?

Just means I have to kill more of them later. I just want to know what I discovered!

That's a modest improvement. Also ...

** Hard Beam(inferior)

And that's it. I am not amused. Nothing for our troops ... we could have gotten armored exoskeleton or fusion rifle. Let the wanton slaughter continue I guess ...

As we pound Reticuli, the next target. Sure, why not. We'll destroy all your enemies before we come for you. We can't increase trade enough to double it, so I won't bother doing anything more there. We can also see what's at those two remote upper-right worlds, just for the fun of it, by using their systems to refuel.

Starting to snowball here a bit now. Faster engines means more worlds in reasonable travel range, plus each conquest means one more source world in time as well. Here we are already sending most of the fleet on to Willow, even as a couple hundred million more transports(over 100M were already lost in the first wave) descend upon Reticuli. Gutting the economy to this degree means maintenance is above recommended limits(approx. 38%), but we've reached the point where sheer force of numbers is going to accelerate this more and more now.

Reticuli fell the next year(although I'd moved too many ships out, so many Mrrshan died taking out the reinforcements. Hadn't accounted for that). The toys acquired:

** Deep Space Scanner(boo)
** Improved Industrial Tech 4(ok, a 25% cost savings)
** Hyper-V Rockets(*sigh*)
** Warp Dissipator(everything but what I want)
** Merculite Missiles(two generations worse than our Hercular)

STILL neither invasion tech falls to us. Incredible. And the Humans sign a peace deal. All of this in 2559. The Alkari still have nine techs left that we can steal, according to spy reports.

Cheaters! But even this will not save you.

A wise plan. All offers of surrender will be accepted.

Well Doom Virus is here(who cares). And we barely spend anything on ecology as it is. I'd much rather have terraforming but when you don't have any option, you take what's there.

Nobody ever got Radiated Landings, so this is empty forever.

We now control the orbits of all remaining Alkari resistance. They had high-30s numbers of bases and took out about 15 or so of our best Leopard-class cruisers, but we had enough numbers to finish the job. Now it's just a matter of powering through the final two invasions(Willow first, then here).

2563. Lots of cool toys at the bottom of this list of course. But we just got Proton Torpedoes which should end any prospect of our ships being stopped by planetary defenses. Now I'd like to do the same thing for our ground troops, so I'm going with the Plasma Rifle.

We also tell the Darloks and Alkari to shove it as they ask us to break the Sakkra alliance.

The basically irrelevant Cloaking Device is in. A new planetary shield should essentially make our planets impervious.

Sauron once again doesn't keep his end of the bargain. Shocking.

After Altair's defenses were defeated, I started sending newly-produced ships on to Nazin here. It looks like we've secured it for now at least, so that's another big planet in our empire and I'll start investing in it.

Nearly destroyed the planet accidentally during a space battle, but Willow falls in 2565. Here's our first toy, which is a modest improvement. Also:

** Ion Cannon(obsolete)
** Reduced Industrial Waste 80%(obsolete)
** Dotomite Crystals(Range 7, also obsolete)
** Fusion Rifle(finally!)
** Controlled Barren Environment(obsolete)

Invading Altair and all future ones as well should be accelerated here. We still won't be on equal terms but it will be a lot closer.

*Yawn*

Meanwhile, that's a crapton of ships coming for our smallest, weakest planet. Want it that bad lizards, you can freaking have it. This is what you broke the Alliance for? Seriously? 50M max, and that's after 40M of terraforming.

Took out the colony ships in the attack, but little else. They have mostly lowish-tech missiles and tachyon beams, so when we get the new planetary shield we'll not be vulnerable to this no matter how many they send. As it is, it was sheer volume of ordnance. Meanwhile, the first transports reached Altair, where the exchange rate is now about 2:1.

Empress Nermal scratches one name of the to-exterminate list two years later.

** Automated Repair System(don't think we'll use this)
** Armored Exoskeleton(upgrade on our battle suits, the other missing combat tech)
** Controlled Tundra Environment

Everything else we'd already stolen. Now it's time to move on to the next enemy. Humans and Bulrathi seem the logical targets, with only one lucrative system each. Wiping them out will make everyone hate us, but the Darloks already hate us and the Sakkra are close to that point, so who really gives a darn. The lizards can keep Regulus for the time being. After that, the Sakkras have the better fleet but basically non-existent planetary defenses(no planetary shields at all). Both they and the Darlok field Pulson missiles, which aren't too nasty, but the shapeshifters have Class X Planetary shields. I'd rather have our torpedo ships ready, on which I'm waiting for one more tech to finish, before taking those on.

So, in order of conquest, the plan is to take Ursa and Sol, then hit the Sakkras, and finally the Darloks. Domestically, the population in most systems should be able to start to recover now, at least to a degree. An economic explosion should begin which should steadily fuel an accelerating blobbing snowball here. The biggest tactical question is how many cruisers to leave in orbit over developing worlds that don't have a sizable number of missile bases up yet. More would be safer but also leave us more vulnerable to counter-attacks. Based on what I've seen, about six seems right to repel most incursions.

There's what I've been waiting for. Been in prototype for probably 20 years, but most of it with relatively modest investment and we do suck at Construction. This puts our armor tech a level above anyone else's, boosts our ground forces more, but also finishes up what I wanted for the last major ship upgrade I intend to design. Industrial Tech 3, which we probably won't ever complete, is up next.

Faster and tougher than the Leopard, and armed with new proton torpedoes, it'll take down anything it runs into in sufficient numbers. About the only thing I might want to change here is just a redesign to cram more stuff on as we acquire more technology by aggressive means and get more space available. It's also a lot more expensive, but so what.

https://youtu.be/omU6UkjAWuA

In 2574, the Darloks unveil the King Cobra, first real threat to our fleets I've seen in a while. Combination of Ion Stream Projector and the heavy beams is quite effective. We need a significant concentration of ships to take them down. Altair was building it's shield, but it wasn't finished yet. I could take them down ... with the fleet that's on the other side of the galaxy, bearing down on the Bulrathi homeworld. So this is a bit of a situation and we may lose Altair.

Oh, do shut up.

https://youtu.be/oqt5Q6fI6Vc

We reach Ursa the next year. They, uh, didn't put up much of a fight. Hyper-X missiles. In the late 26th century. More bombardment at Altair, as I re-reroute newly-built ships there as quickly as possible. I don't know if they'll make it in time. And then the latest, irrelevant, Council vote:

** Humans(2) - Sauron
** Sakkra(9)
** Darloks(5) - Sauron
** Bulrathi(1) - Sauron

We have 18 of 35 votes. Abstain again just to keep the Sakkra from getting too mad. Yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Empress Nermal, how do you feel about the current state of the galaxy?

You heard it here first, folks, the galaxy will soon be a safe place for kittens everywhere. Please, citizens-to-be. Think of the kittens.

https://i.imgur.com/wmBuqEf.mp4

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

I'm waiting for Thotimx to research Armored Exoskeleton to post the Mad Cat pics.

Or steal, whatever.

Mrrshan Armored Exoskeleton:

Original: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timber_Wolf_(Mad_Cat)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Thotimx posted:

We reach Ursa the next year. They, uh, didn't put up much of a fight. Hyper-X missiles. In the late 26th century. More bombardment at Altair, as I re-reroute newly-built ships there as quickly as possible. I don't know if they'll make it in time. And then the latest, irrelevant, Council vote:

Very curious. The warbear had pulson missiles.

Guess they couldn't afford the upgrade to the missile bases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What would be a viable high-risk strategy to end this right now? Massive bribes prior to a final vote? The Guava plan?