Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

404notfound posted:

We have so much god drat Chinese food here in Milpitas. That and seemingly 2-3 boba shops in every single shopping center. Great if you're into it, but I really wish there was more variety here.

I know it's all subsets of Chinese food and being in the USA means there is a lot of overlap but the different regional cuisines of Chins are pretty varied and good imo.

This is probably more me being nostalgic for trying different things in different places in China than a useful comment on restos in milpitas, a place I have not actually been to in spite of living so near, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

A food blogger I follow has been trying to find good XLB here in the bay area and failing. All the talk of XLB though has made me want to find some here, anyone have any leads on where they might be?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Not XLB but on Milpitas chat: This is just like the original Vietnamese 7 course beef place in the Tenderloin but the ambiance and quality is... "improved". https://www.yelp.com/biz/anh-hong-milpitas-milpitas-2

Making your own customized fresh rice paper rolls is delightful. For example I'm a rau ram fiend whilst my girlfriend is all about cilantro, so we can share the food and have it meet our personal tastes pretty precisely.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I’m going to Red Hot Wok tomorrow night, any tips? I think the three cup chicken is locked in as one of our dishes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Carillon posted:

A food blogger I follow has been trying to find good XLB here in the bay area and failing. All the talk of XLB though has made me want to find some here, anyone have any leads on where they might be?

If you're in the south bay, Din Tai Fung has a location in the Valley Fair mall in west San Jose

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

Not world-beatingly good, but these are solid choices: Dragon Beaux (in the Richmond), or Koi Palace (specifically the one in Dublin, CA not Daly City)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cooking Papa in Foster City makes some decent stuff including XLB.

And I don't think you'd be going wrong getting them at Koi Palace Daly City either.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 20, 2018

Development
Jun 2, 2016

cooking papa in the south bay is good too. I really like the braised beef noodle soup.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Any good cheap places in downtown Berkeley, around Shattuck? I'm looking for a new place to have dinner when I have class. I usually go to Pollo, Bongo Burger, or Oasis Grill. Used to go to Sliver, but they've moved.

Frausto's Mexican which is a loving awesome hole in the wall next to Dwight.

Hawaiian BBQ up by Haste on Shattuck

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hey... uhh... after one too many conversations about food... I'd like to apologize on behalf of white people. I don't know why we they will only judge Indian restaurants based on the Chicken Tikka Masala, Thai restaurants by the Pad Thai, or Sushi places based on the rolls. I suspect it might be some paranoid delusion that everything else is poison. The paranoia might also have something to do with the aversion to eating family style.

Now if you don't mind me, I'm going to go to the pizza spot down the street and give it a yelp review based solely on the salad bar.

fake edit: I'll have to try these XLB (I had to look up what that stood for) suggestions. I haven't had many decent ones on the west coast.

Some context: Somebody was praising Naan n Curry, so I suggested they might love a Thali Dinner from Swagat just down the street. Their response was essentially "I've been there for the buffet. It was okay, but the Chicken Tikka Masala at Naan n Curry is THE BOMB!"

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 2, 2018

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I think the conventional wisdom is that those dishes are the basics, so if the restaurant fucks them up then it's not worth looking further afield on the menu.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Well CTM and Pad Thai and sushi rolls with e.g. cream cheese are all distinct from XLB in that they are made up things (cf. http://fooddetectivesdiary.blogspot.com/2011/02/brief-history-of-chicken-tikka-masala.html and https://gastronomica.org/2009/02/10/finding-pad-thai/; as for sushi rolls you're on your own). To call them 'basics' is to imply they are fundamental to Indian, Thai and Japanese cuisine respectively, which isn't right

Also yes, authenticity is a pointless shibboleth etc etc etc, so here is some helpful content in that vein: check out the butter chicken at Rooh in SF with a side of garlic naan; it's worth it!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Any recommendations for bars in the Mountain View, Palo Alto area? Normally when I go drinking I'm usually in SF. so I'm not too familiar with places down here.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

OGS-Remix posted:

Any recommendations for bars in the Mountain View, Palo Alto area? Normally when I go drinking I'm usually in SF. so I'm not too familiar with places down here.
If you like brewpub-type places, there are 5 of those in about a four-block stretch of downtown Mountain View and they're all honestly pretty interchangeable. If you're interested in cocktails, don't ask me because I'm a heathen.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
chicken tikka masala is incredibly authentic (british) food

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OGS-Remix posted:

Steins (mountain view) has the best beer selection. It's a german beer haus though, not a bar.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

OGS-Remix posted:

Nola in Palo Alto is a New Orleans themed place with good drinks and excellent creole food.

Antonio's Nut House is fantastic dive and was my go to after work when I used to work around there.

There's also a Eureka! in Mountain View now, which is like a California bistro chain but it has an excellent whiskey selection.

Dutch Goose in Menlo Park is an upscale sports bar that's a local institution.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Baby Babbeh posted:

Nola in Palo Alto is a New Orleans themed place with good drinks and excellent creole food.

Antonio's Nut House is fantastic dive and was my go to after work when I used to work around there.

There's also a Eureka! in Mountain View now, which is like a California bistro chain but it has an excellent whiskey selection.

Dutch Goose in Menlo Park is an upscale sports bar that's a local institution.

yes Nola is cool and good and it has tequila now

if you want a real dive experience go to homestead lounge in santa clara (sorry a little farther out). cash only.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The thing about Nola is that it's not exactly Traditional New Orleans Food like you'd find at somewhere like Poor House Bistro in SJ; it's its own fusion of Cajun/Creole and Californian. Still good, though.

Mervyn's used to be the quintessential downtown Mountain View dive bar, but they have an actual sign out front now so it's probably less hipster-cool than it used to be.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Incoherence posted:

The thing about Nola is that it's not exactly Traditional New Orleans Food like you'd find at somewhere like Poor House Bistro in SJ; it's its own fusion of Cajun/Creole and Californian. Still good, though.

Mervyn's used to be the quintessential downtown Mountain View dive bar, but they have an actual sign out front now so it's probably less hipster-cool than it used to be.

Yeah, it was really weird stopping into the front store for some boba and seeing clear through the door to the back to Merv's.

I remember a few years back when a cocktail was only $2.75. It's gone way up, though probably still more affordable compared to other options in the area.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Mervyn's used to be the best speakeasy in the area, and not like the pretentious hipster cocktail bar kind (although I do love those too), I mean the kind where you actually had to know where the bar was or you would never find it. The directions to get there were quite literally, walk past the skeevy night club, go down the creepy alley where people get beaten and stabbed*, walk up to the blank door where the only signage is an 8.5x11 sheet of paper that says "lotto sold here". Then once you're inside, it's dark and there's only about 12 seats in the whole joint, and the bartender is playing some stupid Facebook game on his laptop, but the drinks are $3 so who cares? But then the Chinese restaurant next door closed down and they combined the two locations. Mervyn's is now at least twice the size, has a brightly lit sign and windows facing the street. Hell, it actually has windows now..

*not an exaggeration. I used to know some of the bouncers for that nightclub, and I worked there briefly before deciding I value my life. Fights often spilled into that alleyway and I saw people leave on stretchers on more than one occasion. :smith:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I used to go to Merv's almost daily when I lived in MV; originally it was just the closest place with AC and wifi that was open late, but I took a liking to it. My favorite Merv's story: I once ordered a white russian there, and the bartender made it with those little Mini Moos creamer cups.

I of course told many people about this, but apparently it was just a one-time thing as they were out of actual cream. Still sums up the bar pretty well.

It changed ownership ~5 years ago, and I've only been a couple times since. Last time was I think in 2015, and they had at least replaced the booth seating.

Bees on Wheat posted:

*not an exaggeration. I used to know some of the bouncers for that nightclub, and I worked there briefly before deciding I value my life. Fights often spilled into that alleyway and I saw people leave on stretchers on more than one occasion. :smith:

Is that the Monte Carlo nightclub? An old friend's dad was a MV firefighter, and the Monte Carlo was notorious for fights and bizarre injuries. Stabbings? Sure. Head blow with a cinder block? That too.

I tried to go there once, about a decade ago. They wanted a $20 cover. Yeah right, for that place?

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 6, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Bit of a long shot but are there any decent kaitenzushi places in the bay? The only place I know of is Kula and I haven't been there in a while; reviews indicate the quality's gone down since it opened.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bees on Wheat posted:

Mervyn's used to be the best speakeasy

I used to work in Mervyn's basement... In their headquarters in Hayward! Only great recession kids in the east bay will get this.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Capn Jobe posted:

I used to go to Merv's almost daily when I lived in MV; originally it was just the closest place with AC and wifi that was open late, but I took a liking to it. My favorite Merv's story: I once ordered a white russian there, and the bartender made it with those little Mini Moos creamer cups.

I of course told many people about this, but apparently it was just a one-time thing as they were out of actual cream. Still sums up the bar pretty well.

It changed ownership ~5 years ago, and I've only been a couple times since. Last time was I think in 2015, and they had at least replaced the booth seating.

Is that the Monte Carlo nightclub? An old friend's dad was a MV firefighter, and the Monte Carlo was notorious for fights and bizarre injuries. Stabbings? Sure. Head blow with a cinder block? That too.

I tried to go there once, about a decade ago. They wanted a $20 cover. Yeah right, for that place?

Huh, usually when I ordered a white russian they had the creamer in a re-used Ocean Spray cranberry juice bottle.

And yeah, it was the Monte Carlo. Being a lady (and knowing some of the staff) meant I never had to pay cover, and it was still too expensive to get in.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm in town for a conference staying in Union Square and I think I'm running out of good places around here. Did Kin Khao last night, Deli Board and Zero Zero today, will probably hit up Box Kitchen at some point late night. Anything else in walking distance of Moscone to check out (bars too)? I'll be venturing out to other neighborhoods but good stuff nearby is nice to know about.

What are the uniquely Bay things that I should try? I didn't really know about Dutch Crunch bread until today and now I'm scared that I'm missing out on some other under the radar specialty stuff. Mission Burritos, Porchetta sandwiches, cortados, Fernet...What am I missing? If you moved away, even to another really good food city, what would you miss being able to eat?

The b.k. at Deli Board was insanely good, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I really hope I can get another before I leave town and will be trying to recreate it when I get home.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Get a California burrito from Señor Sisig

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Get an Eggs Benedict “Dave’s Way” at The Grove over by 3rd on Mission.

Get a pork chop at Hops & Hominy right over by Union Square.

Pop over to Japantown (a short walk or a cheap cab ride—literally just go west on Geary or Post) and get udon at the place across from Kinokuniya in the Japan Center mall, or okonomiyaki at Mifune Don in the Miyako Mall by the hotel.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Also while you’re in Japantown visit Dimples and see if it doesn’t live up to its Yelp reviews.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lawen posted:

I'm in town for a conference staying in Union Square and I think I'm running out of good places around here. Did Kin Khao last night, Deli Board and Zero Zero today, will probably hit up Box Kitchen at some point late night. Anything else in walking distance of Moscone to check out (bars too)? I'll be venturing out to other neighborhoods but good stuff nearby is nice to know about.

What are the uniquely Bay things that I should try? I didn't really know about Dutch Crunch bread until today and now I'm scared that I'm missing out on some other under the radar specialty stuff. Mission Burritos, Porchetta sandwiches, cortados, Fernet...What am I missing? If you moved away, even to another really good food city, what would you miss being able to eat?

The b.k. at Deli Board was insanely good, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I really hope I can get another before I leave town and will be trying to recreate it when I get home.

Are you into beer? Cause if you're close to Deli Board, Cellarmaker and City Beer Store are close by to you. They're basically a must go if you're into beer at all.

What neighborhoods are you going to travel to?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lawen posted:

Kim Thanh has some of the best crab, the garlic and the black bean are my family's two favorites. Get the garlic noodles and the pea shoots too!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Senor Sisig, The Grove, Kim Thanh, and the Japantown spots all look great and I've added them to my list.

Hops & Hominy looks good but I'm from Atlanta so Southern food's not high on my list when traveling.

I'm not a big beer guy, much more into spirits and cocktails, whisk(e)ys and amari in particular.

Not sure yet which other neighborhoods I'll venture to. Open to suggestions. Will probably go deeper into the Mission (is Mission Chinese still a thing), Embarcadero, maybe Divisidero? Don't really know my way around though so definitely open to suggestions/warnings.

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Hard Water is a cool and fancy whiskey bar on the water that has decent food. It's right up the Embarcadero from the Ferry Building, which is also kind of fun to walk through and has some cool food related shops. That should all be walkable from Embarcadero bart station.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks again for the recs SF food thread. Senor Sisig and Hard Water were both very good calls.

Other good places I ate/drank: Craftsmen and Wolves, Tartine Bakery, The Beehive, Oddjob, State Bird Provisions, Henry Slocombe and El Porteno in the Ferry Market, Charmaine's.

I'm super jealous of your food scene and will especially miss really good bread and pastries everywhere. Also legal weed. Also your weather. gently caress this town is expensive though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lawen posted:

Thanks again for the recs SF food thread. Senor Sisig and Hard Water were both very good calls.

Other good places I ate/drank: Craftsmen and Wolves, Tartine Bakery, The Beehive, Oddjob, State Bird Provisions, Henry Slocombe and El Porteno in the Ferry Market, Charmaine's.

I'm super jealous of your food scene and will especially miss really good bread and pastries everywhere. Also legal weed. Also your weather. gently caress this town is expensive though.

Next time make sure to hit up something in Japantown, Chinatown, Mission (like burritos) and some hot pot in either Irving or Sunset. Tons more good food.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Mission (like burritos)

No need really if you've had a california burrito from Senor Sisig. Unless you want a worse burrito experience than the divine combination of french fries and filipino pork.

edit: I had a pancho villa burrito today that was definitely not as great as it could be. Like, I've had better burritos there this week.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon

Anywhere in the bay. Also is there any good conveyor belt sushi around this area? Or even decent?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

good conveyor belt sushi

Does not compute.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tbh the random kaitenzushiya I went to in Japan were way better than most sushi places I've been to in America so I figured it was worth an ask at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara

A Bellagio in campbell