Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

There are Prey and Wolfenstein VR games coming at some point.

Not quite; Prey's is just a pair of DLC modes. The mimic-hunting multiplayer mode can be played in VR, and the other sounds like a Portal-esque series of tests in a standalone story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget, Elder Scrolls: Blades is crossplatform and crossplay between mobile phones and....PC VR headsets.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Don't forget, Elder Scrolls: Blades is crossplatform and crossplay between mobile phones and....PC VR headsets.

I mean if Bethesda actually bother doing a half-decent job at the VR mechanics that'd be cool but their past efforts have not been thrilling.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skyrim VR is really good though?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't the 3GB version actually less powerful than the 6GB, in terms of hardware resources on the GPU itself? It has fewer cuda cores, iirc.

this is technically correct but, in practice, it doesn't actually matter; the cards perform near-identically on most games

DOOM and Shadow of Mordor have about a 13% FPS difference maxed but it's like, 80fps vs 70

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
13% doesn't seem negligible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If they difference in price is higher than 13% it's fine tbf. I'd still go for 6gb personally, just because texture resolution is the single thing that's never too high (even in VR...), and texture resolution doesn't really hit performance much on modern gpus, as long as you have sufficient vram.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

From what they showed of blades why the gently caress would anyone want to play it in VR?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If you start asking "why would anyone want to play X in VR" you call into question the very existence of the technology.

Frankly a click-to-move dungeon crawler with gesture based combat is tailor-mode for a VR game, mobile VR especially.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Glagha posted:

From what they showed of blades why the gently caress would anyone want to play it in VR?
Yeah, after releasing Skyrim VR, it's like a major step back to play a free-to-play limited version of the same thing.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

NRVNQSR posted:

If you start asking "why would anyone want to play X in VR" you call into question the very existence of the technology.

Frankly a click-to-move dungeon crawler with gesture based combat is tailor-mode for a VR game, mobile VR especially.
The Oculus Go was the first thing that came to mind when he started talking about VR.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with what I assume is hit detection. I got the Laser Cannon and managed to completely miss some guy, yet it still instantly killed them like a second and a half after the projectile passed them. They shouted over the mic, "What?! NO WAY!" and I responded "How the hell did that kill you?" Another time I had a blue full auto rifle, managed to hit someone no poo poo 30 times and they just didn't die, it was absurd. Another game, I had a purple shotgun and full health + full shields, I was peeking and poking some guy with a green three-shot pistol thing, and they took two point blank shotgun blasts plus ~5 hits from two bursts of the 5-shot-burst rifle and I was dead from three of their pistol bursts.

It was still fun but after that last one I was just off it. There's not a whole lot of information on the game mechanics that I can find so I dunno if I'm just not quite hitting the right part of the enemy players or what.

After playing some more, I can answer most of this - the game's hit detection is actually really good for the most part and it was just the mechanics that got you.

1. Laser cannon has a huge AOE. More than possible to miss someone by 5 feet and still one shot them. Balanced by slow projectile, difficult to aim weapon, low ammo.

2. Blue full auto - the 'future' weapons that you need to reload seem kind of bad. A blue should have still gotten a guy in like maybe 10-15 shots if he had full shields, though. Not sure what happened to you. Kind of an anemic weapon though. I go with the paint weapons over the future weapons every time, especially with not needing to reload.

3. Pistols are OP, Shotguns are bad above 15 feet.

The game is crazy crazy fun. Positioning is HUGE, a lot of players seem to be ignoring it and kind of doing whatever right now. Get yourself in a good spot for the circle and relocate fast when the circle changes and you'll win games.

The one thing that stands out as needing tweaking is the legendary weapons. They're supposed t be good sure, but they are SO good. Full shields and a paintsaw means that you are pretty much guaranteed to win at least your next fight if only through attrition. Good news is that shot colour changes with rarity so you can back out of a fight or fight smarter if someone out-gears you.

edit: also another tip, teleport is a really useful tool that nobody seems to use in walk-only. You can use it to teleport into cabin porches, out of building windows, to get to high ground, and lots and lots of other stuff

edit: more tips. you can put your map on the ground to keep an eye on it while you're camping a spot, you don't need to keep pulling it from your backpack.

get good at grabbing potions and ammo when they pop out of the box before they hit the ground.

you can just pour a potion on top of your head. good for drinking during firefights or just keeping your vision open

a lot of good loot is between the main drop areas, there doesnt seem to be any kind of loot rarity areas. I like dropping mess hall, then heading to the baseball diamond before heading up the mountain - can usually loot 10 chests or so only encountering a couple of people, then you're geared for the endgame.

Does anyone want to play tonight? Would be fun to group or duo with some goons.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 11, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

1. Laser cannon has a huge AOE. More than possible to miss someone by 5 feet and still one shot them. Balanced by slow projectile, difficult to aim weapon, low ammo.

edit: also another tip, teleport is a really useful tool that nobody seems to use in walk-only. You can use it to teleport into cabin porches, out of building windows, to get to high ground, and lots and lots of other stuff

How do you reload the Laser cannon? Every time I get it I only get one shot then have to throw it away.

How do you teleport in walk-only games?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
laser cannon auto reloads but i understand there was a bug that has been since patched out with reloading on that gun.

teleport is just the right trackpad

iceaim
May 20, 2001

GutBomb posted:

Catch and Release is fun. I’ve never fished in real life before so I don’t know how realistic it is but I just lost a couple hours in there and didn’t realize how long I’d been in there until I quit.

Is it just single player? That would be amazing in a multiplayer environment. Fishing in Orbus is amazing for that reason

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

iceaim posted:

Is it just single player? That would be amazing in a multiplayer environment. Fishing in Orbus is amazing for that reason

Ditto Fishing Planet, despite the devs being morons.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3rhIKY_qg

It appears my former employers are still piddling about with VR. That custom Vive tracker glove mount it pretty interesting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Warbird posted:

It appears my former employers are still piddling about with VR. That custom Vive tracker glove mount it pretty interesting.

TBH, that's prett ycool. Looked like they were using the vive wand to replicate the strimmer controls too?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Zip tied the bastard to one it seems. That’s a drat good approach as the wands emulate the grip already.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Warbird posted:

I can't wait for the next DLC to drop in the Virtual Yardwork Series.
Test Drive Lawnmower.
VR Gutter Cleaner.
I Expect You To Get Stung (wherein you remove hornet and wasp nests from your property)
Virtual Clean the Garage

The possibilities are endless!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZn5sT-f5M

It's finally coming to be. :allears:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Some more footage and info on that Insomniac, stormlands game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6tLS_AhUXY&t=160s

It really looks and sounds just fantastic. I liked seeing as well that 2 handed weapons are a thing in it, and hearing that theres all kind of upgrades for scanning, cloaking, powers and stuff, outside of all the free movement abilities. Multiplayer on top of it all, and apparently the world changes in ways, weekly, new islands and stuff showing up, procedural content in addition to hand made content.

Its a year off but man, its got me excited.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 13, 2018

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

people scolding you for the 3gb are morons. you don't need 6gb of VRAM for pretty much anything unless you want to max texture quality.

I’ve got a 1060 6GB and have zero issues in any game except DCS so take that as you will.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Tom Guycot posted:

Some more footage and info on that Insomniac, stormlands game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCuWyq0fHQ&t=8602s

It really looks and sounds just fantastic. I liked seeing as well that 2 handed weapons are a thing in it, and hearing that theres all kind of upgrades for scanning, cloaking, powers and stuff, outside of all the free movement abilities. Multiplayer on top of it all, and apparently the world changes in ways, weekly, new islands and stuff showing up, procedural content in addition to hand made content.

Its a year off but man, its got me excited.

What timestamp? The embed seemed to go to a Kojima interview.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TheRagamuffin posted:

What timestamp? The embed seemed to go to a Kojima interview.

Seems the youtube link is screwed up and doesn't have the full thing archived. Twitch still works: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/272445069?t=03h42m29s

EDIT: Oh, looks like the chopped up the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6tLS_AhUXY&t=160s

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 13, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

What's everyone's favorite Serious Sam in VR? My brother's gonna buy me a couple games because he loves me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you're ok with wave shooters, The Last Hope is a serious sam wave shooter, and it has some unique things going on.

If you like puzzles, talos principle isn't a shooter, but it's by croteam and is great in VR.

If you just want vanilla serious sam, but in VR, the 2nd encounter probably has the most variety, though to really experience vanilla SS, it's probably best to play it with thumbstick/touchpad locomotion, dunno if you can handle that. However, you can also play it with your non-vr friends if they own Serious Sam HD. A huge plus, IMO, since serious sam is best in co-op.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

What's everyone's favorite Serious Sam in VR? My brother's gonna buy me a couple games because he loves me.

First, Second encounter or 3. Last hope is a wave shooter. The VR conversions are fantastic.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thanks! Got 2nd Encounter, H3VR, and Skyrim. It's gonna be a swell weekend :)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that really will be. make sure to pick up some free games too. i recommend Rec Room and the Compound demo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Thanks! Got 2nd Encounter, H3VR, and Skyrim. It's gonna be a swell weekend :)

Something that had to be pointed out to me in H3VR; You can save your poo poo-hot customized weapons by placing them on the spawn table and selecting VAULT in the upper--right corner of the table's menu screen. You can also stash a handful of bullets together in a quick-use slot by holding one over the occupied slot and pressing up on the Vive touchpad (or whatever the Oculus equivalent is). It's really useful for Revolvers and Shotguns.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something that had to be pointed out to me in H3VR; You can save your poo poo-hot customized weapons by placing them on the spawn table and selecting VAULT in the upper--right corner of the table's menu screen. You can also stash a handful of bullets together in a quick-use slot by holding one over the occupied slot and pressing up on the Vive touchpad (or whatever the Oculus equivalent is). It's really useful for Revolvers and Shotguns.

I literally beat ALL of Wurstworld without realizing how to turn your quick use slots into an unlimited ammo spawn (hint, click the touchpad in, it'll turn blue) which was a frankly grueling experience.

Of course, all this is explicitly written in the text, but the game can have a little bit of a learning curve.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I literally beat ALL of Wurstworld without realizing how to turn your quick use slots into an unlimited ammo spawn (hint, click the touchpad in, it'll turn blue) which was a frankly grueling experience.

Of course, all this is explicitly written in the text, but the game can have a little bit of a learning curve.

I also did this. It was a ways into owning the game before I saw Anton using the feature in a devlog and then I looked up wtf that was about. There are tutorial videos on YouTube now that cover most everything pretty well now and that new Sampler Platter tutorial area might mention it now....wait it was in the text? Like in Wurstworld? Yeah, completely missed that then.

Playing that with limited ammo still wasn't as hard as doing all the horseshoe puzzles.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Brightman posted:

I also did this. It was a ways into owning the game before I saw Anton using the feature in a devlog and then I looked up wtf that was about. There are tutorial videos on YouTube now that cover most everything pretty well now and that new Sampler Platter tutorial area might mention it now....wait it was in the text? Like in Wurstworld? Yeah, completely missed that then.

Playing that with limited ammo still wasn't as hard as doing all the horseshoe puzzles.

The horseshoes were a lot easier once I stopped looking down every time for the shoe and just started hammering horseshoes rapid fire toward the posts.

I beat the bandits, 11/13 shooting puzzles and all the horseshoes before I slowed down to learn you could click a slot blue.

Also I know I'm way behind but I found the ending of Wurstworld deeply unsatisfying.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
BUDGET CUTS IS COMING OUT TOMORROW :woop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One dumb thing that took me ages to figure out; You chamber/reload the lever-action weapons by holding the trigger on the controller you're stabilizing the barrel with and tilt the one you're using for the trigger grip back like you're actually working the lever.

Or you can just twirl it, Terminator-style.

The Walrus posted:

BUDGET CUTS IS COMING OUT TOMORROW :woop:

No, please, I have to buy the new Splatoon expansion :shepspends:.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has anyone used revive with WMR? Despite having a 1080, the frame rate was way too jittery to be playable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lostleaf posted:

Has anyone used revive with WMR? Despite having a 1080, the frame rate was way too jittery to be playable.

I got Echo Arena working just fine on my 980ti, are you running the steamvr and steam for windowsmr betas?

edit:

Tom Guycot posted:

Someone who's used revive with WMR would be able to say more, but thats a few basic things to at least check out.

well that would be me, and you pretty much covered it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 13, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

lostleaf posted:

I haven't, but there are a few things you could check. Are you using the latest stable, or beta release of steamVR? If its the beta, try the other.

Is it jittery in all games you've tried? If you've only tried one thing, test some of the free stuff like, mission iss, lucky's tale, echo arena and see if it does as well.

Do you have OpenVR advanced setting installed? Install that and try turning off steam's reprojection options and see if that helps.

Make sure you have the latest version of revive as well.

There should be no reason it shouldn't work fine with your computer and specs. Someone who's used revive with WMR would be able to say more, but thats a few basic things to at least check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Another wmr user here, I've run first contact and dirt rally just fine with revive just running on a 970