Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Danaru posted:

Thing dragging down Friday the 13th is that Victor Miller, the guy who wrote the first movie, is trying to sue for copyright control of the series despite not even watching the rest of the series because he got all old-man-yells-at-cloud about Jason being the killer. As a result, Illfonic and Gun aren't allowed to release any new content for the game including Uber Jason and the Grendel map. People were already able to shuffle some files around to play as Uber Jason without issue so they were super close to releasing it.

He is very loving late on that train, what the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The nice thing is that his suit seems baseless as hell, if he gets told to piss off sooner rather than later, GUN can go right back to it as well as everything else around the series, like NECA was making some new figures which are on hold now too thanks to this.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Earth Defense Force 2025 really missed out on something awesome by not letting the game calculate how much property damage you cause while killing the giant bugs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Testekill posted:

Earth Defense Force 2025 really missed out on something awesome by not letting the game calculate how much property damage you cause while killing the giant bugs.

Only if it totalled it up as "damage caused by bugs" and the damage caused by edf stayed at 0.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

Thing dragging down Friday the 13th is that Victor Miller, the guy who wrote the first movie, is trying to sue for copyright control of the series despite not even watching the rest of the series because he got all old-man-yells-at-cloud about Jason being the killer. As a result, Illfonic and Gun aren't allowed to release any new content for the game including Uber Jason and the Grendel map. People were already able to shuffle some files around to play as Uber Jason without issue so they were super close to releasing it.

Live by the license, die by the license.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Just mentioning dragons dogma made my blood pressure go up, I hated that game so bad. SO MUCH. Everything about it. Everything.

E: I spent 20 real life minutes running from a quest point chased by lizards (quest where I got killed by an overpowered enemy so I couldn’t complete the quest—this was at the beginning of the game, why was he op?) and getting lost in some forest trying to get back to the main path. Never found the main path. Dumped that piece of poo poo back in the library drop box immediately afterwards.
Dragon's Dogma is a fantastic game, you missed out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

Only if it totalled it up as "damage caused by bugs" and the damage caused by edf stayed at 0.

Why did I spend time on this.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morpheus posted:

E! D! F!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Morpheus posted:

I have never played Earth defense force, but everything I've read and scene makes it seem like they'd play it 100% straight like that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

E! D! F!

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack

Real talk, EDF is loving GREAT in multiplayer and having some cheesy as hell B movie level fun. Some of the greatest fun my brother and I have had together that wasn't on a Nintendo console.

If I had to complain about EDF, I don't like the weapon limits. Hundreds of weapons... and you can only carry 2!

Leal has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 13, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

in The Last Guardian you jump with triangle

in Let It Die you jump with square

in Warframe you jump with x

Playing all of those interchangeably leads to some fun :suicide: times

"It's okay, Trico, it's a simple jump *hurl myself into a precipice*"

In every single BloodSouls game, the Dodge button is Circle

In Nioh it's X

:suicide:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Thin Privilege posted:

Just mentioning dragons dogma made my blood pressure go up, I hated that game so bad. SO MUCH. Everything about it. Everything.

E: I spent 20 real life minutes running from a quest point chased by lizards (quest where I got killed by an overpowered enemy so I couldn’t complete the quest—this was at the beginning of the game, why was he op?) and getting lost in some forest trying to get back to the main path. Never found the main path. Dumped that piece of poo poo back in the library drop box immediately afterwards.

Dragon's Dogma is dragged down by its flat damage reduction armour system. Those lizards that hosed you up would probably be easy as poo poo in like 2 levels and a better weapon because they're reducing flat damage so you do almost no damage to them and then suddenly get absurd damage gains as soon as you're over the threshold. Then if your armour gets higher you can cut their damage down to chip damage. It just makes for a game of small windows where enemies are both challenging and not tedious as gently caress.

It's fun during those windows (and if your enemy is not immune to your main damage type) but there's a lot of annoying bits to it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Futuresight posted:

Dragon's Dogma is dragged down by its flat damage reduction armour system. Those lizards that hosed you up would probably be easy as poo poo in like 2 levels and a better weapon because they're reducing flat damage so you do almost no damage to them and then suddenly get absurd damage gains as soon as you're over the threshold. Then if your armour gets higher you can cut their damage down to chip damage. It just makes for a game of small windows where enemies are both challenging and not tedious as gently caress.

It's fun during those windows (and if your enemy is not immune to your main damage type) but there's a lot of annoying bits to it.

And if the enemies are in the right window the bosses aren't and vice versa. Last time I played it I hosed around with CheatEngine so that I could adjust my attack power on the fly and keep both bosses and enemies interesting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That same damage formula is used in BotW, which can lead to the endgame being extremely simple since it takes over a hundred hits to die, you have unlimited healing, and the big boss gets his health cut in half if you completed the main quest beforehand.

What games do damaged reduction well, so you don't end up with oddities like a single level-up making the difference between a hard slog and a quick walk?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

In every single BloodSouls game, the Dodge button is Circle

In Nioh it's X

:suicide:

Nioh also has the attacks on face buttons, which confused me so much I used the steam controller to completely rebuild the control scheme from scratch.

Which was fun, until I realised that the stat and weapon system was absolute bullshit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nioh also has the attacks on face buttons, which confused me so much I used the steam controller to completely rebuild the control scheme from scratch.

Which was fun, until I realised that the stat and weapon system was absolute bullshit.

Salt and Sanctuary did this poo poo too. Their situation was slightly different since it was a 2D game but it wore its Dark Souls influence on its sleeves. So why are the freakin buttons mapped differently?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

Manhandla is a pain to fight, but you fight them less overall and they seem to enjoy doing attacks that make at least one of the heads weak, so overall it feels like I'm doing more against them.

You seem to have the opposite experience with Manhandlas that I do. For me they're the boss most likely to go several minutes without using an attack that exposes their weakpoint, especially if you get them below 50%.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games do damaged reduction well, so you don't end up with oddities like a single level-up making the difference between a hard slog and a quick walk?

The only action games with RPG stat leveling I can think of where the RPG stats do not, at some point, make the game feel like poo poo are Monster Hunter and Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't think flat armour has ever been done well. The only armour systems I like are % reduction or comparative rating systems. WoW and Diablo 2 sorta did it right with armour alone, but they both hosed it up with chip damage and crushing blows which layered levels on top of it. Even in Diablo 2's case they started with a stat that reduced magic damage by a small flat amount. Funny thing is stream attacks and floor damage attacks did damage in ticks and the reduced magic damage worked on each tick making it a completely broken stat against those attacks. Blizzard ended up having to normalise it per second or something. It's just really hard to make flat reduction not gently caress something up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Anything based on DnD and its ilk has a myriad of other problems related to combat but that isnt one. Each level is a soft percentile of hit increase, as reductions of damage of any kind are extremely rare so hitting controls that function, so the difference between level 1 and 2 doesnt feel massive but the gulf is tremendous between level 10 and 1 due to compounding.

A lot of JRPGs use defense as a hybrid of % and flat reduction so outside say a five level gap its hopeless but within that range you have 10 levels where you play around in

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nuebot posted:

So I'm finally playing Witcher 3 and you know what? gently caress wolves. This is almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Gerald is just wading through millions of wolves to get to any place on this map. I talked to an NPC to get a quest and like twenty wolves just showed up running around in the background of this dialogue.

I had a ton of issues with W3 but wolves were WAY down on my list.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Vampyr feels like two different good budget games that were mushed together to make a janky fullprice game.

You have to talk to people and do dialogue trees and quests for them to get XP as well as improve their 'blood quality'.

There is faux-Bloodborne combat.

There's trying to craft medicine and heal people night by night (different medicines for different illnesses too) so things don't get worse.

You can suck someone's blood (which kills them) for a giant chunk of XP at the expense of them being, you know, dead and not having any further sidequest interaction, and people dying also makes their district worse (regardless of how lovely a person they might be).

To spend XP you need to rest for the night, which advances time and probably makes people sick and existing illnesses progress.

There's no fast travel or map markers for people, just general areas.

These systems don't really all perfectly align, so theoretically if you're try to play 'optimally' you need to run around healing everyone as much as possible around every district you have open to you, doing mediocre Bloodborne combat along the way, before you can then finally progress the main story. And so you keep putting off spending resting to spend XP because then you'd have to do that whole rigamarole again.

Combat also seems hard at first but then as soon as you realise what powers are the good ones, and as soon as you pick up the Barbed Cudgel that you find just lying in a sewer, it becomes pretty easy for the most part. The only real challenging part is that some enemies have ridiculous dashing grabs that do a hojillion damage that are basically a "gently caress you try again" button early game.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I don't know when Waluigi became the Pickle Rick of gaming but I'm ready for it to end now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leal posted:

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack

Real talk, EDF is loving GREAT in multiplayer and having some cheesy as hell B movie level fun. Some of the greatest fun my brother and I have had together that wasn't on a Nintendo console.

If I had to complain about EDF, I don't like the weapon limits. Hundreds of weapons... and you can only carry 2!

EDF isn't a real videogame, it's the thing people are shown playing on TV so viewers know they're playing a videogame.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Picked up both Killzone and Titanfall 2 during this PS4 sale, and I expect I'll have more to add later, but for now Killzone is the only one that actually gave me something to play when it said it had stuff ready, so...

Why the gently caress have you tied my ability to see enemies around me to the loving dpad Killzone? Why do I need to hold down right, losing my ability to move in order to press right on the dpad? Why does it only go out so far? Why do I have to hold the drat button to send out the sight wave? Why, if I hold it too long, does it short out and also alert nearby enemies? And loving why does it just not work sometimes? It's like it has a really inconsistent recharge after use, because I can spam it one minute and then the next it's making me wait 30 seconds between uses.

And then just to compound all that, the first level is set in a big, open forested area at loving sunset, so it's even harder to see the enemies in between all of the bushes loving glowing orange in the bloomy sunlight. :rant:

ShootaBoy has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jun 14, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok I just finished Detroit and I still have nothing real to complain about it and I was expecting to be blasting this thread with complaints. It’s legit a really good game and has like, no David Cage in it. I think he got help with script writers. NO SHOWER SCENES

That’s my pyf thing dragging this game down: I can’t complain about the game.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jun 14, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thin Privilege posted:

Ok I just finished Detroit and I still have nothing real to complain about it and I was expecting to be blasting this thread with complaints. It’s legit a really good game and has like, no David Cage in it. I think he got help with script writers. NO SHOWER SCENES

That’s my pyf thing dragging this game down: I can’t complain about the game.

What, not even the ham-handed references to "ANDROIDS... are much like... BLACK SLAVES..."?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

bewilderment posted:

What, not even the ham-handed references to "ANDROIDS... are much like... BLACK SLAVES..."?

Ok yeah and the Underground Railroad, but they didn’t put it into some weird way. It makes sense. slave = slave

E:what is wrong with using past poo poo history to show how it could be in the future, to show how lovely humans can be?

E2 and 90% of the androids are white btw

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Pretty sure that’s the objecive of science fiction

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Pretty sure that’s the objecive of science fiction

This is why it is a good game. Many other reasons too.

Ok I’m in the wrong thread but there isn’t one for this game. Sorry guys. Maybe someday you’ll have an android to bring you your controller.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

NO SHOWER SCENES

How could you forget one of the best scenes in the game? Sumo, attack!

always pick Tease

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thin Privilege posted:

Ok yeah and the Underground Railroad, but they didn’t put it into some weird way. It makes sense. slave = slave

E:what is wrong with using past poo poo history to show how it could be in the future, to show how lovely humans can be?

"I have a dream" is less than a century old and I think this one is accidentally coincidental but "I can't breathe" was used as a civil rights march slogan as recently as 2014 so the point is that the slogans used in "science fiction" are already relevant today, you don't need to travel to the future to examine them.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Detroit is really loving stupid. Every single plot point makes zero sense.

-androids are weaker than humans, feel pain, and cannot do anything a human can't do, yet are somehow 'revolutionary' enough they get used everywhere, despite, again, just being people
-people murder androids to turn blue robot blood into crystal meth i mean 'RED ICE'
-androids have brain-phones and can film poo poo with their eyes. This literally only comes up when it's convenient for the plot. You cannot report Kara's abusive owner when he threatens her after she finds his drugs, but she can call the store to buy parts to repair the dishwasher
-everybody hates androids for no loving reason. You literally see the first act of android on human violence occur in the opening scene of the game but people have been beating them to death in the street for implied years.
-everything about the redneck who breaks robots and turns them into weird limbless things but leaves them alive and in pain(they can feel pain why the gently caress can robots feel pain)

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Detroit is really loving stupid. Every single plot point makes zero sense.

-androids are weaker than humans, feel pain, and cannot do anything a human can't do, yet are somehow 'revolutionary' enough they get used everywhere, despite, again, just being people
-people murder androids to turn blue robot blood into crystal meth i mean 'RED ICE'
-androids have brain-phones and can film poo poo with their eyes. This literally only comes up when it's convenient for the plot. You cannot report Kara's abusive owner when he threatens her after she finds his drugs, but she can call the store to buy parts to repair the dishwasher
-everybody hates androids for no loving reason. You literally see the first act of android on human violence occur in the opening scene of the game but people have been beating them to death in the street for implied years.
-everything about the redneck who breaks robots and turns them into weird limbless things but leaves them alive and in pain(they can feel pain why the gently caress can robots feel pain)

The most obvious to me was that if you're making slave robots why would you make them look human? there is no point to it other than the terrible racism metaphor.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tardcore posted:

The most obvious to me was that if you're making slave robots why would you make them look human? there is no point to it other than the terrible racism metaphor.

Yeah, that makes basically no sense. Making something look convincingly humanlike is hard. If you don't get it exactly, perfectly right, you'll fall victim to the uncanny valley effect and people will react way worse to it than if you'd never tried at all. Outside of some high-tech show-off models, it would be both cheaper and more effective to just go for some sort of stylised Johnny-Five aesthetic or something for the workforce.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Uh to gently caress them? Duh!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Dragons dogma is the greatest rpg of all time,and i'm absoloutely not surprised people hate it because it's got some real annoying poo poo in it.
I really want to play it again but last time i played i basically did literally everything you could possibly do,where the gently caress is the goddamn sequel?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thin Privilege posted:

Kinda seems unimaginative, even though it was a decent plot idea in Fallout 4, it's not gold enough to be in every game that has androids.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

First order of business is disabling all the dlc since it gives you a ton of guns and outfits that it renders in-game progression meaningless.

Holy poo poo, there are more collectibles than Donkey Kong 64. Even the so called "challenges" are just "Go to 5 Caves" and "Burn 7 Posters". It's all mindless-filler unlike say, Arkham City, where every collectible had a puzzle attached and your ultimate reward was punching the Riddler in the face.

The game is scared to death of you forgetting the controls because it never stops giving prompts that take a quarter of the screen.

I'm getting strong Assassin's Creed III vibes from the gameplay. It's ostensibly a linear action-game, but they cram in a whole bunch of irrelevant game-mechanics like crafting, and then never fully integrate them into the rest of the game. You have a sharp pickaxe and there are these flags you can cut down, but not with the pickaxe, you have to get a knife which is the only tool that accomplish the contextual action of cutting down the flag. My mind keeps returning to games like MGSV or unintentionally Super Metroid, because they offer emergent gameplay that doesn't put down artificial barriers whenever you try going off-script or take a different solution.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Dragons dogma is the greatest rpg of all time,and i'm absoloutely not surprised people hate it because it's got some real annoying poo poo in it.
I really want to play it again but last time i played i basically did literally everything you could possibly do,where the gently caress is the goddamn sequel?

The sequel is a Japan only MMO. It sucks too because there are all these bits in the game that invite continuation like everybody who leaves at the end of their quest lines, especially whatever is going on in Mercedes' kingdom that hints at politics beyond the peninsula.