Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Before the preamp? I'm typically using a boosted Marshall sound, is that still kosher?

Small purchase and a big difference for me

Brass, so it doesn't chew up strings like a coin but it sounds rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Southern Heel posted:

Before the preamp? I'm typically using a boosted Marshall sound, is that still kosher?

Yes.

In fact he'll yes.

I play through a DSL on the ultra gain channel while using an MF Boost and it's literally "that sound" you've heard on a massive amount of recordings (especially EVH) since a delay in front of the amp was the only option for the longest time.

Key to making it work is to keep the mix and repeats low and the time around 200-300ms so it only fills in the space between notes and doesn't turn everything into a loving mess.

In front of a clean/mild overdriven amp you can do pretty much whatever you want. Thats essentially what the edge has done for his entire career as there is no loop on an AC 30 and look how loving much he abuses delay.

If you really want to keep the sound of a delay between the pre and power amp I would get a second delay with a long rear end delay time and stick it there (digital shines here) but the DM-2W only maxes out at something like 300ms in classic mode which makes it perfect for a pre-amp delay.

You can also make it a pseudo reverb by turning the delay time really low and the repeats to the edge of self oscillation which is also fun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Boosting your guitar into the high gain channel of an amp can work really well. Sending a boost into an amp isn’t only about getting more distortion, a lot of boosts actually happen to cut out a lot of bass from the guitar, which is a good thing for high gain because it means your sound will be a lot tighter and clearer, and less flubby than otherwise, even if the basic amount of distortion doesn’t change.

As far as delay goes, I tend to take the opposite approach from Gringostar there, even though my goal is usually similar to his, which is just to add a gap filler behind the main sound. I always put my delays in the loop, and if possible, I’ll try to cut a lot of the delay’s treble so it interferes with the primary sound even less. I tend to approach delay as a “cleaner reverb“ and this is the best way I’ve found to accomplish that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 8, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

GreatGreen posted:

Boosting your guitar into the high gain channel of an amp can work really well. Sending a boost into an amp isn’t only about getting more distortion, a lot of boosts actually happen to cut out a lot of bass from the guitar, which is a good thing for high gain because it means your sound will be a lot tighter and clearer, and less flubby than otherwise, even if the basic amount of distortion doesn’t change.

Not only does boosting into a high gain cut the bass to make things less muddy but it also adds some mild compression that further tightens up your sound.

The MF Boost is amazing for that since you have two modes of compression and with an expression pedal it doubles as a volume pedal.

e: all the MF pedals are great with that though since you can get a lot of use from them. I can get a nice chorus and a super weird phaser from the MF Flange by messing with the settings.

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 8, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hell yes you boost.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gringostar posted:

Yes.

In fact hell yes.

Delay sounds all kinds of weird into the front end but I don't dislike it at all. It turns out my Talisman Reverb is also basically designed to go into the front of the amp too, since it has a high-pass filter to curb splashy sounds, a pre-delay to space out the reverb from the main sound and a built-in preamp.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I just got my new synth last night.. only to find out that I lost my minijack to Jack converters, so I couldn't use it. :suicide:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was cleaning out some of my stuff from my parents' flooded basement and tossed everything I found without hesitation, including a lot of cables, music VHS tapes and guitar magazines... but I made drat sure I left with the one mini-to-1/4" adapter I found.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New used guitar day!

After passing on a like new black Baja Telecaster at the pawn shop for $400(I wanted to think about it, and it sold shortly after I left the shop), this popped up today.

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in butterscotch blonde for $150, on the floor for less than an hour.

Has two sizeable edge dings, but otherwise like new. Just not sure on the model and color listed on the card that was in the gig bag, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They’re a steal at $400. Awesome grab!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That's an amazing pawn shop find! It looks brand new. I've been scrounging the local shops for a Fender or Squier (preferably an offset, but I'll take anything) with a maple fretboard, and I haven't found a single one. So so so many Starcasters though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Much worse ways to spend $150.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
The Baja at $400 and the Classic vibe at $150 are both super good deals. Where is this place? Is it Tele heaven?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Just a local pawnshop I've had incredible luck with. Only the 5th or 6th Tele I've seen there in the 6 or so years I've been stopping in, but I've snagged a few deals. Should be pics of them in the thread.
- 1975 SG Standard for $350 with an old heel break and other fuckery
- Mid 90's Korean Epiphone Les Paul Special(two P90 doublecut version) under $200
- Squier Vintage Modified Mustang under $200
- Schecter PT under $200

Funny thing on this Tele that I didn't remember until today. Back in March, I think, I was at the shop and found someone's pawn ticket laying on one of the guitar amps. I brought it to the counter and give it to the manager, and making a joke about how maybe I should have just paid the ticket. Didn't click until this morning that the description stated Classic Vibe Telecaster, and the person got $75 for it. Price tag on this one also said Classic Vibe Telecaster, regular price $199.99, and $149.99 as the current price. I think I did end up with it after all.

Other funny thing, they usually pay out ~30% of what they intend to sell for, so someone went about $100 low when they put this one on the floor. Oops.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

gently caress

YEAH

BABY

Navigator are the custom shop brand of ESP, producing top end reissues for the Japanese domestic market, typically at a higher quality and price point than the Fender teambuilt or Gibson CS instruments they sought to emulate. They are rarely seen outside of Japan for sale new because of their high retail price, and that import duty and VAT would put them at a higher price point than they could support. On the bright side, they are often available at a deep discount second hand in the Japanese market, so if you can stomach the shipping, import and tax then you can get one of the best instruments money can buy for half the price of a new LP Standard.

I spent many lunch-times in the GuitarGuitar shop in London testing their LP Trads, VOS reissues, customs, etc. and always found there was something missing - either in feel, sound or a rational pricing. I decided to take a big chance on this one by selling my main guitar to put funds together. I was confident given their stellar reputation and the excellent experience with the Edwards E-LP-130CD/P (a P90 equipped middle of the range ESP guitar), and took the chance by buying one on Reverb.

This particular model is a 2004 N-LP-STD - nitro heritage cherry sunburst over a very faintly flamed plaintop and mahogany. The back of the guitar is dinged to heck, but the front is mostly pristine. The neck is a chunky '58 profile with pearl inlays and a bone nut, and the hardware is all Gotoh. The pickups are Seth Lovers and sound absolutely blinding - this isn't a high gain machine but if you're after anything from Anthrax to Zepplin you're covered. With the gain down low they sound uncompressed and airy, but dialled up they get that LP snort and squeal.

Granted, I've only had it in my hands for a few hours but it certainly feels like a grail instrument to me - everything is perfect in terms of sound and playability.

EDIT: scratch that, it sounds even better in Eb with a tubescreamer infront of it.

EDIT: /gg/ made me do it

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 15, 2018

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Nice! That looks like a super quality guitar. Also post a picture of the back, you might be able to refinish it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

Nice! That looks like a super quality guitar. Also post a picture of the back, you might be able to refinish it.

Thanks man, I think it's great but then I would say that.

I'll take some more daylight shots tomorrow. I don't think I will go for a full refinish as it's got some legit relic wear which is nice: the front is lustrous but not super glossy and the nickel is tarnishing. I may see what I can do about those dings which are a little rough though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That is an absolute beauty. Hell of a score.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

This is what the back looks like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nrxz2ujBy23o9pU8

I'd be happy to leave it weathered if I could tone down the splotchiness of the edges of the nitro.

One of the only things I've not that I DO want to change is the feel of the pots. They're all CTS stuff, but clearly have been used and abused to the point there's very little inertia while adjusting them: they just feel a bit cheap even though they are quality. Is there a way to fettle them back into shape? If not,it looks like there's alot going on in there, so I'm not sure whether to replace the whole loom or just the pots, one by one:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SBKXKXNfXa6Q6oKy7

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Just ordered a THR10 to replace my Squier Champ 15 that shorts out when you look at it sideways.

It's my first new amp purchase in like fifteen years. Got it new off eBay for $100 less than it would have cost locally.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Just ordered a THR10 to replace my Squier Champ 15 that shorts out when you look at it sideways.

It's my first new amp purchase in like fifteen years. Got it new off eBay for $100 less than it would have cost locally.
I visited a Guitar Center store and demoed all three (the 10, 10C, and 10X) expecting to buy the 10X. Turns out, I just liked the plain 10 the best. My buddy the metalhead has an X.

I've got a really fun little stereo tube amp setup with a ton of cool effects pedals. He's got an Ampeg half-stack, a Marshal VM half-stack, and an ENGL half-stack, and an old ADA MP-1 in a rack. All of that gear, and we still agree the THR is the go-to amp for when you just want to sit down and go.

Prediction: You're gonna love it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love my THR10X so much that I’m considering grabbing a THR100.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're great little fuckers.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, I considered the "specialty" THRs, but everybody seems to love the original, and I get way more excited about versatility rather than any specific tone. Plus that white is gonna look so much cooler than all of my other boring black guitar poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, I considered the "specialty" THRs, but everybody seems to love the original, and I get way more excited about versatility rather than any specific tone. Plus that white is gonna look so much cooler than all of my other boring black guitar poo poo.
Are you, by any chance, also a lefty?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

THR10 is of course great, but the THR10X has the best sounding amp-modller channel ever, Brown II.

Sam Coulson also rips on the THR100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2Vd09wiiM

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! That was pretty darn tasty! Does this head do the same thing as the little ones that you can connect it straight to record with the copy of Cubase AI? Because honestly, I don't use anything else for ghetto demos, but it'd be cool to use the same amp for live situations that I use to record my demos.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, it has a USB output, as well as DI and speaker outs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, it has a USB output, as well as DI and speaker outs.
Oh, gently caress yeah! If I see one in the wild, I'm so getting one. I love my Tube amps, but after the car crash (I'm fine, btw :)), I was left with three useless amp heads for a couple of weeks and having to spend almost $400 on new tubes was a pretty groan-worthy moment. Like, I could've bought a new guitar or pay half for a Helix I saw recently.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I ordered a used Durham Electronics Sex Drive.

It's a compressor and clean boost/transparent overdrive with a very strong reputation. A subtle, "always on" kind of pedal. Going to use it on bass to add some punch and a just a hint of breakup. Also the name is great.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Does it have any issues with tone suck when compressing? I have a compulsive "clean blend" requirement for all of my bass gear to make sure the low end does not get compromised.

My most similar pedal is an Orange Squeezer clone, but that is definitely not an always-on because it is not transparent. I use it for a solo boost and to feed a compressed signal into my Brassmaster for stupid-fat octave fuzz.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Science Goy posted:

Does it have any issues with tone suck when compressing? I have a compulsive "clean blend" requirement for all of my bass gear to make sure the low end does not get compromised.

My most similar pedal is an Orange Squeezer clone, but that is definitely not an always-on because it is not transparent. I use it for a solo boost and to feed a compressed signal into my Brassmaster for stupid-fat octave fuzz.

I always wonder why these pedals don't come with a buffered blend. It's trivial to implement and inexpensive.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Science Goy posted:

I perceive it as tightening up the low end which I suppose means it’s rolling off some deep muddy frequencies, but it’s subtle. I default to a pretty bright bass tone to begin with so it’s definitely not enough to bother me, I just might not cut the same frequencies on the amp to the same degree. A lot of bass players swear by it, including the ovnilab guy, who has exhaustive experience with bass compression and considers it among his favorites.

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/durham.shtml

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Well if the Ovni guy says it's good, it must be pretty good. That guy really knows his poo poo.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I've decided to make the first move in getting into eurorack:

RIP my future savings account, but I guess I didn't need to retire anyway.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorewar posted:

I've decided to make the first move in getting into eurorack:

RIP my future savings account, but I guess I didn't need to retire anyway.

You'll never know what it means to be financially stable again. Godspeed sir, I salute you.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 5, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I pulled the trigger. A dumb rear end Charvel is on its way to my abode.

I should have got the Satchel signature model.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

I pulled the trigger. A sweet-rear end Charvel is on its way to my abode.

I should have got the Satchel signature model.

fixed

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope it is sweet as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Charvels are awesome.