Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

Whatever was killing eldritch abominations at the time. You know, because it would break immersion otherwise..

So, a chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Fat Samurai posted:

Whatever was killing eldritch abominations at the time. You know, because it would break immersion otherwise..

There's always modern period cthulhu games, if you don't give poo poo about 20:s

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Some of you dudes are really working hard to get mad about poo poo that's meaningless. If Marie and Jim were white you'd be in here bitching about FFG whitewashing the origins of jazz music. And really, who thinks "criminal" is somehow more important than "librarian"? Like you have to be actively looking out for things to play at being offended about to really think that the Arkham folks released so far are problematic or whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I am in the middle. The representation could be wider and better (like always, and Netrunner is a good standard), but nothing is glaringly offensive or bad IMO, especially given the time period it's set in. Not to speak for anyone else, but my group has never brought up any issues with it and I think we're what the kids call woke.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Bottom Liner posted:

I am in the middle. The representation could be wider and better (like always, and Netrunner is a good standard), but nothing is glaringly offensive or bad IMO, especially given the time period it's set in. Not to speak for anyone else, but my group has never brought up any issues with it and I think we're what the kids call woke.

This is pretty much where I'm at with it. It could be so much worse given the source material, but it could always be better. It's especially weird next to Netrunner.

It's a subject that's really important to me and my friends, and mostly I'm just being critical of something I still enjoy immensely.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Two of the most interesting investigators are a knife wielding maniac chef and a dual pistol toting badass socialite. It's a real stretch to claim the women are all shoehorned into being weak.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Two of the most interesting investigators are a knife wielding maniac chef and a dual pistol toting badass socialite. It's a real stretch to claim the women are all shoehorned into being weak.

We didn't call our second campaign team the "Arkham Murder Ladies" for nothing... :allears:

It did take the Dunwich box to make it possible, and adding Rougarou made it even more fun.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Some of you dudes are really working hard to get mad about poo poo that's meaningless.
As a lot of people have voiced, it's not that I'm looking for problems with the game, it's just fun to rib the creators' lack of creativity in allocating roles and strengths along obvious stereotypes. But really, this isn't even totally their fault since it's inherent in any medium set in the past. History is problematic.

I'll admit, I had misremembered Jim's mid-range book level. It's actually what makes him perfect for pairing with a less investigative Guardian.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I've been finishing up the LOTR Saga. Hunting Party has been our MVP card by far for the last two quests (The Battle of the Pelennor Fields and The Tower of Cirith Ungol). Since you start with multiple Wraith on Wings in the staging area you can just get rid of them in exchange for one extra shadow card which is pretty good. Amarthuil/Eowyn/Elfhelm have been doing a lot of work for me.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I just got the LOTR core, and my wife and I already want to grab the first cycle. Where are the best sites to buy old LCG cycles? Amazon prices are a bit ludicrous on the out of print packs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you happen to be in Europe you could buy mine.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kilazar posted:

I just got the LOTR core, and my wife and I already want to grab the first cycle. Where are the best sites to buy old LCG cycles? Amazon prices are a bit ludicrous on the out of print packs.

Check out the buying guide, and consider skipping the first cycle. There are some good cards in it, but the scenarios are kinda duds compared to the later releases or saga expansions.
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

I find that Amazon is sorta crappy for Fantasy Flight stuff by the way. I like using boardgameprices.com and building a cart to price compare.

The other thing is, since you're starting out, I see a lot of folks dumping their LOTR LCG collections because they've moved on to Arkham Horror. Since you only have the core set, it's a good time to pick up a big lot with a bunch of stuff (so you're not getting duplicates)

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Check out the buying guide, and consider skipping the first cycle. There are some good cards in it, but the scenarios are kinda duds compared to the later releases or saga expansions.
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

I find that Amazon is sorta crappy for Fantasy Flight stuff by the way. I like using boardgameprices.com and building a cart to price compare.

The other thing is, since you're starting out, I see a lot of folks dumping their LOTR LCG collections because they've moved on to Arkham Horror. Since you only have the core set, it's a good time to pick up a big lot with a bunch of stuff (so you're not getting duplicates)

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to buy someones collection as it puts too much sensory overload (and I don't want to commit to the cost of a whole collection). We did that with GOT a year before the revamp, and it was just too hard to build decks with such a huge collection and not knowing the cards.

Also I'm kind of a stickler for going through cycles the way they were originally released. I'm weird like that. I'll check out that site you listed though since i can't find all of mirkwood up on amazon for an even near retail price.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kilazar posted:

Also I'm kind of a stickler for going through cycles the way they were originally released. I'm weird like that. I'll check out that site you listed though since i can't find all of mirkwood up on amazon for an even near retail price.

If you end up losing interest in the game this will be why. The first cycle is tedious and promotes building a deck for a specific gimmick (so good luck if you don't read up on each quest beforehand).

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

sassassin posted:

If you end up losing interest in the game this will be why. The first cycle is tedious and promotes building a deck for a specific gimmick (so good luck if you don't read up on each quest beforehand).

Simalar was said about star wars lcg.. but I love the hoth cycle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I too enjoyed the first cycle and playing in order (which you should definitely do) it holds up fine and also lets you appreciate the evolution of the scenario design in later stuff.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Kilazar posted:

Where are the best sites to buy old LCG cycles? Amazon prices are a bit ludicrous on the out of print packs.

Cardhaus, Miniature Market, and CoolStuffInc all keep restocking LotR LCG as stock becomes available.

https://www.boardgameprices.com/ keeps reasonably good track of who has what in stock.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I too enjoyed the first cycle and playing in order (which you should definitely do) it holds up fine and also lets you appreciate the evolution of the scenario design in later stuff.

This is pretty much why I like playing lcg games from first cycle. I love seeing the mechanical evolution.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Foehammer posted:

https://www.boardgameprices.com/ keeps reasonably good track of who has what in stock.

Thanks for linking this. I... somehow did not know this website existed when my entire job is selling games on eBay. :psyduck:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Thanks for linking this. I... somehow did not know this website existed when my entire job is selling games on eBay. :psyduck:

It's really great. I got really lucky and sold my two sealed copies of Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition for $120 each RIGHT BEFORE the wizkids reprint (4th edition) was announced.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kilazar posted:

Simalar was said about star wars lcg.. but I love the hoth cycle.

Not sure if you're still playing Hoth but they printed a couple pods in the recent packs that made Walkers playable to some degree, and made LS Hoth ridiculous.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to buy someones collection as it puts too much sensory overload (and I don't want to commit to the cost of a whole collection). We did that with GOT a year before the revamp, and it was just too hard to build decks with such a huge collection and not knowing the cards.

Do that if you really want, but I would recommend going through the saga quests starting with black rider or starting with the grey havens box. It's going to be more expensive or a lot of time between new quests while waiting for re-stocks. The new quests are almost all much better (Shadows of Mirkwood has a few stinkers). If you go out of order, eventually when Mirkwood is in print you can play the quests with only Core/mirkwood cycle anyways. This blog has reviews of playing core only with one other expansion and some deck lists for each quest. Do whatever you want though!

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey goons! This seemed like the place to ask this question about the Game of Thrones LCG.

Let's say I've got five friends who want to play the 1st Edition GoT LCG. If we were going to do a civil war format or even just a 3v3 game, what would I need to get? I figure just getting one core set, then the Martell and Greyjoy expansions should be enough. Would I need to get a second core set?

Thanks for your time!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

GoT is a three core game to be functional. When I was trying to have a starter deck with just cores for all the factions, I ended up buying a fourth core, and I was still missing copies of stuff like Milk of the Poppy I wanted to include in other decks. I have no expansions so can’t speak to how that changes the exeprience, but I would think that if you’re wanted six functional decks at once you’re not gonna be able to do it with one core unless you proxy.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Quidthulhu posted:

GoT is a three core game to be functional. When I was trying to have a starter deck with just cores for all the factions, I ended up buying a fourth core, and I was still missing copies of stuff like Milk of the Poppy I wanted to include in other decks. I have no expansions so can’t speak to how that changes the exeprience, but I would think that if you’re wanted six functional decks at once you’re not gonna be able to do it with one core unless you proxy.

He's talking about 1.0, which is a bit different experience. Also if you're trying to just make up some multiplayer decks to beat against each other, having multiple cores isn't as big of a deal. I actually got started playing due to a multiplayer game that I believe was just built with the recommended starter decks.

That said, depending on how much you are looking to spend I'd assume you could find collections for not too much from people just trying to dump the old game. Otherwise, I think 2 cores and the Martell and Greyjoy boxes should be ok for what you're looking for. Depending on how wipe-heavy you want the game you may want to proxy Valars for every deck (it was a 1 of in the core set which since there was like zero decks that didn't run it...)

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Thanks fellows!

I also picked up the Defenders of the North chapter packs and some Draft Packs/Starters too. So hopefully that should add enough for it to not be too terribly restrictive.

I also heard about an issue where too many cards presents too many options and can overwhelm new players so hopefully that'll avoid it.

One last question about picking cards like this- Is there any better way to handle building multiple player decks with the same pool of cards? If we each pick a house that should make it pretty easy to handle who gets to use what cards usually, but I'm curious about the neutral cards. If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate input!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

LifeLynx posted:

Am I the only one that dislikes the faction style deckbuilding of almost all LCGs? It turned me off the Netrunner reboot also. Let me deckbuild how I want to deckbuild, and find the optimal strategy. Like in Magic, I can technically play five colors in any deck I want, but I'm totally going to get mana screwed and my opponents are going to beat me with much more streamlined decks. Then there's always some kind of splashing mechanic where I can play cards from another faction in my deck, but there's arbitrary limits like "make sure these numbers don't add up to more than fifteen" or "you need to pay one more upkeep to keep this guy in play because he's not the same color as your faction card". I get that L5R is going to have it because the original game did, and it's a way to sort of make the designers' jobs of creating a diverse metagame easier, but I'd like to see an LCG without that for once. It's a strange dynamic that TCGs almost always give you more freedom on what to put in your deck than LCGs do. TCGs sometimes have the faction deckbuilding, but I can't think of an LCG that goes the other way.

And yes, I get that this is personal preference. I mostly hate the outside-faction influence stuff, because it always feels like an afterthought and almost always takes away from the intended goal of making factions have a certain playstyle as well as feeling unique lore-wise.

Doesn't Ashes of the Phoenixborn basically do this (besides a handful of unique cards for each character)?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Finster Dexter posted:

Doesn't Ashes of the Phoenixborn basically do this (besides a handful of unique cards for each character)?

Yeah pretty much. You can load each character up with whatever schools you want to, though there is some obvious synergy with their default schools.

The dice aren't particularly RNG either which is quite nice, I'd say RNG in Ashes is actually quite a bit less than Netrunner.

Downside though is that Plaid Hat is really slow with their releases so hoping to get a meta that moves as fast as Netrunner will be a problem. I honestly thought the game was dead after the long delay between the 1st and 2nd wave of expansion characters.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

You guys got me jones-ing to give Ashes a try. Time to see if anyone local plays.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Anniversary posted:

You guys got me jones-ing to give Ashes a try. Time to see if anyone local plays.

Pretty sure the answer will be no, FYI. You might get lucky.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah I wish Ashes had a competitive scene... or... a scene... it's a fun game, at least the few times I've played it.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The digital version of the LotR game seems to be shifting in a more interesting direction. They're adding more things to make it less hearthstone-y, and I think it's a good sign, hopefully things continue in that direction.

By on an LCG note, have they ever released another "Encounter" keyword card other than the one in one of the deluxe expansions? The mechanic seemed really interesting but I haven't seen any other cards released since, but it's been a while since I've gotten a new set so maybe it's just that I haven't seen it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What "encounter" card are you referring to?

As someone who got into the LOTR LCG late and still really enjoys it but is kind of hesitant to build up a huge collection for logistical reasons, I'm pretty eagerly awaiting the digital version. Not having to set up and put away everything is very appealing, as is the quasi-campaign mode that they're going for. The one thing I'm hesitant about is the pricing scheme; I value the tactile element of playing a card game, and I'm not willing to pay the same amount for digital cards as I am for physical ones, especially since it's easy to proxy cards and mix things up without dropping a lot of money. I'm hoping the pricing will be reasonable enough to allow me to build a variety of fun and competitive decks without having to spend hundreds of dollars.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

What "encounter" card are you referring to?

These two cards:

It felt like they were going for a whole new card type and then I didn't hear a peep about it since.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I really like Ashes mechanically, but I don't know anyone else who plays. It just never got traction when pitted against Magic and the flood of LCGs at the time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Corbeau posted:

I really like Ashes mechanically, but I don't know anyone else who plays. It just never got traction when pitted against Magic and the flood of LCGs at the time.

Same here, I bought the starter and the first two expansions and, going by how many people I've ever seen play it or the amount of product I've seen in stores, the game may as well have ended there.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Gloomy Rube posted:

These two cards:

It felt like they were going for a whole new card type and then I didn't hear a peep about it since.

Oh right; no I don't think they did. It always struck me as a weird, fiddly mechanic that's interesting but would probably be annoying as a full-blown strategy. It reminds me a little of Ante cards in early MTG card, which one player could take from another during play.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
They did one in the most recent pack actually!

The shadow effect addition was very smart, plus it goes to discard if that happens.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Oh gosh that's great, it's even in my favorite sphere. That's exactly the sorta thing I was looking for, and the shadow effect is great, on the level with some of the better objective allies in some of the quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I got gifted a base box of Arkham Horror by a guy who didn't like it. Tried it out over the weekend. I swore off LotR and sold off my collection years ago but this has reignited the cravings.

So... is there a recommended buying order for AH? I'm ready to dive in again.