Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

frameset posted:

Has anyone else read Flavor #1 from Image. I picked it up from my LCS because it had a cool dog on the cover and I'm really glad I did. It's a Ghibli style works where you need a licence to be a chef, and a girl who dropped out of chef school acts as an unlicensed chef to support her family.

Also the dog is really cool.

Seriously, look at this dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a The Raid comic coming from Titan by Ollie Masters (The Kitchen, Snow Blind)
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/0...-solicitations/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
on one hand my intial reaction is nice, but also i know that im just not gonna be getting the amazing fight choreography from the movies

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else picking up Bloostrike? Fiffe of Copra fame is doing a three issue mini in June / July.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone else picking up Bloostrike? Fiffe of Copra fame is doing a three issue mini in June / July.

at least digitally, i plan to. Fiffe owns

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finished Letter 44.

Lol at American exceptionalism forever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Evan Dorkin and Veronica Fish's Blackwood is off to a good start. What if HP Lovecraft ran a boarding school?

Although "Wren Valentine" is one of the most protagonist-rear end names I've ever encountered in fiction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1001926030918025216

And that's my yearly reminder to start reading Copra.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 31, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I need to ask my shop to change my order to be that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1002656109583327233
Includes the continuation of Elephantmen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

Evan Dorkin and Veronica Fish's Blackwood is off to a good start. What if HP Lovecraft ran a boarding school?

Although "Wren Valentine" is one of the most protagonist-rear end names I've ever encountered in fiction.

Just read it. It’s good!

Speaking of Evan Dorkin, looks like some more Beast of Burden is coming out soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone been reading Isola or Prism Stalker? I bought the first issues but they didnt seem strong enough for me to bother with followups just yet?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Two issues in, the real villain of Wasted Space is the artists' deadline. Same goes for Vagrant Queen. C'mon and rock the visuals, Vault! More like Deep Roots, please!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anyone been reading Isola or Prism Stalker? I bought the first issues but they didnt seem strong enough for me to bother with followups just yet?

I'm keeping up with Isola but Prism Stalker didn't do much for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Picked up Supernaut because it's a 5 issue series and was on sale. Pretty trippy, riddled with typos, and the end didnt quite hold up but it's still a fun ride.

Oh yeah, and it's a bunch of interuniversal thieves on a quest to steal a bunch of powerful artifacts to assassinate God before he calls time out on the universe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't really feel like Death or Glory needed a scene where an old sheriff shoves a red pepper up a deputy's butt but maybe that's just me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ACAB

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

(Netflix revival) MST3K miniseries coming from Dark Horse, written by Joel.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/bad-comics-beware-mystery-science-theater-3000-the-comic-coming-this-fall-from-dark-horse/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really like both of those covers, so I'll check out the first issue at least since Joel's apparently writing it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
does anyone here read bprd....its on its conclusive arc and it, along with hellboy, kind of represent the platonic ideal of serialized comic book storytelling

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

scary ghost dog posted:

does anyone here read bprd....its on its conclusive arc and it, along with hellboy, kind of represent the platonic ideal of serialized comic book storytelling

Just picked up the first omnibus of Hellboy - Seed of Destruction, I'm excited to dive into that universe.

Speaking of Hellboy, colorist Dave Stewart is coloring for a new #1 out this week called The Weatherman. I had no idea what the hell it was, just flipped through it and it ended up being pretty good. Art is stellar. Writing so far seems solid. I'm definitely picking up #2 and probably adding it to my holds list.

Coda 2 is out and it continues to be pretty dang good. The censorship of the swearing in it seems off to me with how graphically violent it is but that's my only nitpick. It pokes fun at video game / D&D fantasy tropes pretty well and so far is building an interesting apocalyptic alt-fantasy world.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 13, 2018

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Prism Stalker hasn't been incredible but it's been interesting enough to keep reading and it has really good imaginative art:

Also there's this guy:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

scary ghost dog posted:

I enjoy it a great deal but stopped reading near the end of Hell on Earth and am waiting on hardcovers. That said, I didn't care for a specific artist that came on during HoE and I'm living in ignorance if he's still on the book now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is some wicked art on Prism Stalker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New publisher AHOY Comics, founded by Tom Peyer, putting out 'magazine style' oversized comics with back-up prose from the likes of Grant Morrison and Mark Russel.
https://www.newsarama.com/40374-2-founding-vertigo-editors-help-launch-new-company-ahoy-comics.html
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ahoy-promises-more-comics-including-prose-cartoons-poetry-1120024

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The second issue of A Walk Through Hell is very good. This is Ennis with a straight face, keeping away from the gross-out humour, just telling an upsetting supernatural horror story. I'm excited to see where this goes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zachack posted:

I enjoy it a great deal but stopped reading near the end of Hell on Earth and am waiting on hardcovers. That said, I didn't care for a specific artist that came on during HoE and I'm living in ignorance if he's still on the book now.

i get pissed off whenever the artist changes and it gets another step removed from mignola but the writing is so good i dont care. theres a new artist for the final arc and it doesnt look super great

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

New publisher AHOY Comics, founded by Tom Peyer, putting out 'magazine style' oversized comics with back-up prose from the likes of Grant Morrison and Mark Russel.
https://www.newsarama.com/40374-2-founding-vertigo-editors-help-launch-new-company-ahoy-comics.html
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ahoy-promises-more-comics-including-prose-cartoons-poetry-1120024

Any indication that these Comics will be good? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious and I want to help an indie company out and I'm always in the market for Good comic, but I'm not going to buy a bad book intentionally.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Any indication that these Comics will be good? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious and I want to help an indie company out and I'm always in the market for Good comic, but I'm not going to buy a bad book intentionally.

There’s a lot of content for 3.99. I’ll probably buy the first issues and go from there. None of the stories look amazing though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

None of the stories look amazing though.

I'd definitely try a horror anthology with a Mark Russell story in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s a lot of content for 3.99. I’ll probably buy the first issues and go from there. None of the stories look amazing though.

The only one that's grabbing me is Te Wrong Earth but even that's not too great.

Edit: Ginger might be cool too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd definitely try a horror anthology with a Mark Russell story in it.

Yeah that horror anthology is the most interesting. But none of the art (so far) is particularly good and while the writers are interesting, they aren’t must reads.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hobo Grandpa posted:

The censorship of the swearing in it seems off to me with how graphically violent it is

this is something i've noticed in a number of comics and i've never really understood it. it seems like the gore line is way, way, way more "acceptable" for people to cross than saying gently caress-words in comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1007638990768484352
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

edit: Turns out this is a Maxx/Batman crossover.
https://twitter.com/PasteMagazine/status/1009136659382915073

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 19, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

The second issue of A Walk Through Hell is very good. This is Ennis with a straight face, keeping away from the gross-out humour, just telling an upsetting supernatural horror story. I'm excited to see where this goes.

i just finished it and yeah it managed to get weird and keep up the suspense from issue 1. I am slightly worried that since he's introduced some political commentary that it might start being ennis-y but hopefully it won't

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rich Tommaso and the Allreds are reviving Dick Tracy for IDW.
https://www.cbr.com/dick-tracy-mike-allred-idw-comic-book/

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1008767726230409216

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 18, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

anyway: Invincible!

Most comic-readers and TV-watchers know Robert Kirkman as the creator of The Walking Dead, but he has actually done things in his life other than that. One such thing is Invincible, a critically acclaimed superhero comic made by Kirkman, Cory Walker, and Ryan Ottley that just ended its 15-year run back in February. That’s not the end of the Invincible saga, though, as Amazon has just given a straight-to-series order to an animated adaptation of the comic. That comes from Variety, which says the Invincible show has only been given eight episodes for now, but seems safe to assume that the episode count could expand if it turns out to be a hit. After all, there are 15 years of stories that can be told, and they’re probably not going to burn through very much in only eight episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a long time (even after Walking Dead started) I only knew Robert Kirkman as the guy who did Battle Pope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Couple of solicits for those AHOY comics https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/20/grant-morrison-stories-ahoy-comics-solicits-september-2018/

HIGH HEAVEN #1
JUL181525
(W) Tom Peyer, Grant Morrison (A) Greg Scott, Chris Giarrusso, Rick Geary, Shannon Wheeler (CA) Richard Williams
Chronic malcontent David Weathers dies and goes to Heaven-where everything is terrible, and everybody hates a complainer. A savage satire by writer Tom Peyer (Hourman, Batman ’66) with art by Greg Scott (Black Hood, X-Files). And! The socially awkward science-adventurers known as Hashtag: Danger kill a dinosaur! Backup story by Tom Peyer, art by Chris Giarrusso (G-Man, Mini-Marvels). And And! A cartoon by Shannon Wheeler, and an all-new text story by comics legend Grant Morrison: “Festive Funtimes At The New World’s Fair,” illustrated by Rick Geary! Painted cover by Richard Williams (MAD).
In Shops: Sep 26, 2018
SRP: $3.99
---
WRONG EARTH #1
JUL181526
(W) Tom Peyer, Paul Constant, Grant Morrison (A) Juan Castro, Shannon Wheeler (A/CA) Jamal Igle
AHOY Comics launches with a biting superhero satire! On one world, Dragonflyman and his sidekick Stinger enjoy a life of adventure. On another Earth, the Dragonfly hunts criminal parasites like a lethal exterminator. But what happens when these two heroes change places? By Tom Peyer (Captain Kid, Hourman) and Jamal Igle (Black, Supergirl)! And, a “Golden Age” Stinger solo story, by Paul Constant and Frank Cammuso! Plus: An all-new text story by comics legend Grant Morrison: “‘Hud’ Hornet’s Holiday In Hell,” illustrated by Rob Steen! All this plus a cartoon by Shannon Wheeler!
In Shops: Sep 12, 2018
SRP: $3.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Anyone happen to pick up Lost City Explorers from Aftershock? Saw it at my shop and it looked interesting but I couldn't quite pull the trigger.