Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mark Larson posted:

How about all the pictures of street signs. Betcha your precious Google can't handle that :v:

More seriously, given Google's propensity to kill off software people like, I wouldn't count on google Photos being around forever, or require egregious permissions at some point to data mine all your photos and OCR your receipts just to continue giving you the ability to do basic ABC on your photo collection. Call me a luddite but if there's one company I don't trust, it's Google and Amazon.

I wouldn't count on any software to be around forever because I'm not going to curate old OS versions and hardware just to keep using my photo manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mark Larson posted:

How about all the pictures of street signs. Betcha your precious Google can't handle that :v:

More seriously, given Google's propensity to kill off software people like, I wouldn't count on google Photos being around forever, or require egregious permissions at some point to data mine all your photos and OCR your receipts just to continue giving you the ability to do basic ABC on your photo collection. Call me a luddite but if there's one company I don't trust, it's Google and Amazon.

If there's one company I don't trust, it's two companies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

How do I tell Windows 10 to please, for real, not reboot for updates unless I have explicitly clicked a button that says "Please reboot [now/tonight]"?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pham Nuwen posted:

How do I tell Windows 10 to please, for real, not reboot for updates unless I have explicitly clicked a button that says "Please reboot [now/tonight]"?

Pirating Windows 10 Enterprise Edition? (Do not actually do this.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The way I do it at home is use a dns filter (mine is pihole) to blackhole any attempts at your machine trying to contact the update servers.

Then when I actually do want to update I whitelist it temporarily, manually run an update, and then turn filtering back on.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay, come on, give us your spontaneous reboot horror stories.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife would like to get rid of her laptop and use mine. Problem is I decided a few months ago to flatten mine and turn it into a Linux machine, so I don't have the key. Is there any way to transfer the key from her laptop to mine?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

My wife would like to get rid of her laptop and use mine. Problem is I decided a few months ago to flatten mine and turn it into a Linux machine, so I don't have the key. Is there any way to transfer the key from her laptop to mine?

If it's Windows 8.1 or 10 you can't lose the key; it's either in firmware or attached to a hardware hash on Microsoft's licensing servers and either way you just clean-install Windows. If it's 7 it'd be on a sticker or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

Okay, come on, give us your spontaneous reboot horror stories.

My computer updated last night by itself so I had to wait for iTunes to check file integrity for 10m before I could play music :mad:

It did tell me it was going to do this that night though soooo

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Pirating Windows 10 Enterprise Edition? (Do not actually do this.)

You can actually buy working enterprise keys from ebay for $6. No idea about any legal aspects, but they seem to work just fine even after a year of use. Switching from pro to enterprise took maybe 20seconds and didn't even need a reboot.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop and a Windows 10 home laptop. I have setup a network drive share on 4 of the drives on the desktop. Only 1 of the 4 network shares work even though they have all the same exact settings. I have tried restarting both PCs multiple times and I have no clue what else to do. These are the settings that I have setup for two of the drives. D: being the accessible drive and G: being the inaccessible drive.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, that OP is officially six years out of date. Just got a fancy new laptop (well, fancy being a relative term, it was $400), came with Windows Defender and... Norton. Is Norton still the laughing stock it was last time I bought a Windows PC? What should I use? Avast?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

PMush Perfect posted:

So, that OP is officially six years out of date. Just got a fancy new laptop (well, fancy being a relative term, it was $400), came with Windows Defender and... Norton. Is Norton still the laughing stock it was last time I bought a Windows PC? What should I use? Avast?

Just uninstall Norton and let Windows Defender do its thing. Third-party consumer AV doesn't really bring anything to the table these days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Toast Museum posted:

Just uninstall Norton and let Windows Defender do its thing. Third-party consumer AV doesn't really bring anything to the table these days.
Boss. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PMush Perfect posted:

Boss. Thanks!

Just make sure you do some browser hardening. UBlock Origin or another adblocker is a must and will stop a ton of those harmful banner ads that forward you to fake "call microsoft" scams or install malware. There's other things you can do but that's something everyone should do.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I have Windows 7 on my computer, and want to install Windows 10 in a different hard drive for dual-booting. Is there anything specific I gotta do or should I just use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive and follow instructions as usual?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Don't even need Rufus, just use the media creation tool.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop and a Windows 10 home laptop. I have setup a network drive share on 4 of the drives on the desktop. Only 1 of the 4 network shares work even though they have all the same exact settings. I have tried restarting both PCs multiple times and I have no clue what else to do. These are the settings that I have setup for two of the drives. D: being the accessible drive and G: being the inaccessible drive.

I still can't get this fixed, does anyone know of any kind of solutions?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm looking for a pdf editor that I will use a couple of times a year, mostly to fill in documents that weren't made fill-in and add my signature (just importing a png, not any sort of encrypted signature).

Anyone have a suggestion for editing software that isn't a subscription and isn't on-line (because I don't love editing my PII on someone else's servers)?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

I'm looking for a pdf editor that I will use a couple of times a year, mostly to fill in documents that weren't made fill-in and add my signature (just importing a png, not any sort of encrypted signature).

Anyone have a suggestion for editing software that isn't a subscription and isn't on-line (because I don't love editing my PII on someone else's servers)?

I am gay for Foxit Reader, it's free and works great, just pay attention to the installer so it doesn't try and sneak in some other packaged bullshit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Slayerjerman posted:

I am gay for Foxit Reader, it's free and works great, just pay attention to the installer so it doesn't try and sneak in some other packaged bullshit.

Reader does editing now?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Foxit Reader is hot garbage.

Sumatra is where it's at.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wirth1000 posted:

Foxit Reader is hot garbage.

Sumatra is where it's at.

Sumatra has an editor now?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sumatra doesn't fill in forms, takes FOREVER to print a file, and also takes a while to render a dang PDF on a screen. It's good for quick glances at a PDF file since it doesn't have a bunch of trash added onto it.

Foxit has the mid-aughts Microsoft mentality of trying to do everything in creation to annoy you with options that you don't want and look bad, but does allow filling in forms and some other very basic editing options. Get the Portable Apps version since it won't pre-install lame services and garbage software you neither want nor need. You'll still have to disable a bunch of interface crap if you use it regularly, like helpful ads for the for-pay version.

No one should ever use Adobe Reader, if it still exists.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh. EDITOR! Welpppp

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Toshimo posted:

I sprung for PDFElement a few months back. Not super cheap ($80USD when it's on sale, which it was when I bought it and right now), but no subscription or IAP-type BS.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

SlayVus posted:

You probably have bad permissions on the Security tab. Shares need permissions set in both tabs. The Sharing tab only controls permissions for remote users, but every remote user must have permission in the Security tab as well, since that controls access to the folder itself for all users.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SlayVus posted:

I have some clients who have basic shares setup on their work LAN. Every major patch despite still being there in the sharing properties they just stop working. Re-sharing the resource always fixes it but I figure you've probably tried that already.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
What is the recommended password manager these days? I would like something I can sync between my windows desktop and iPhone that isn’t LastPass.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xeras posted:

What is the recommended password manager these days? I would like something I can sync between my windows desktop and iPhone that isn’t LastPass.

Keepass

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Keepass is great, you'll probably end up syncing with dropbox to get the database on your phone (look up minikeepass app). But any folder syncing solution you prefer can be made to work.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've been using 1password for years and loving love it

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If you don't mind spending money 1password is worth every cent of it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Double Punctuation posted:

You probably have bad permissions on the Security tab. Shares need permissions set in both tabs. The Sharing tab only controls permissions for remote users, but every remote user must have permission in the Security tab as well, since that controls access to the folder itself for all users.

This appears to have been the issue. Thank you for this.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

The Milkman posted:

If you don't mind spending money 1password is worth every cent of it.

Seriously, I've tried most password managers out of some OCD poo poo and they all suck poo poo compared to 1password.

KeePass is fine if you wanna do the free open source customize it your way bullshit but in a legit set and forget it with exquisite developers and amazing service then you really can't beat 1password.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like I should bite the bullet and switch from KeePass to 1Password. I'm just sick of creating a new entry on my phone and having it not sync to Google Drive, or updating a password on my computer and having a hell of a time getting the new one on my phone.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

The regular Adobe Reader does this just fine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy Axlerod posted:

The regular Adobe Reader does this just fine.

I wasn't aware that reader let you add text at-will. I'll take a look.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it does. I use it all the time for that. And adding my signature to stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

I feel like I should bite the bullet and switch from KeePass to 1Password. I'm just sick of creating a new entry on my phone and having it not sync to Google Drive, or updating a password on my computer and having a hell of a time getting the new one on my phone.

IIRC, KeePass has know problems with Google Drive and because of the way Google does stuff. I think it even says so in the faq or docs somewhere.

It works fine if you use Dropbox and set up some triggers.

In typical open source fashion it requires some up front config.

I put up with it because if it's important anything is open source it's the software securing my passwords.