Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I’m genuinely surprised by how well things are going considering how badly Iberia had fallen apart just a century ago. We’re likely to reclaim great power status as long as we don’t gently caress up.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ZearothK posted:

You picked my curiosity on the mysterious 8th GP. Japan?

Also I assume armies are next on the menu? I recall OOB's being the most tiresome part of building a total conversion.

I'd assume Egypt, since it isn't on that list.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How long have our colonies been independent now? Less than a hundred years, right? A reassertion of our suzerainty overseas would be a powerful message for a new dynasty...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Flavius Aetass posted:

How long have our colonies been independent now? Less than a hundred years, right? A reassertion of our suzerainty overseas would be a powerful message for a new dynasty...

Unless Hashim puts in a special CB for that, don't count on it. Infamy costs would be WAY out of whack with the reward for annexing or puppeting our Caribbean rebel, and Ibriz is way too big to gobble up.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

ZearothK posted:

You picked my curiosity on the mysterious 8th GP. Japan?

Also I assume armies are next on the menu? I recall OOB's being the most tiresome part of building a total conversion.

The 8th spot is kinda free-for-all right now, with a bunch of different countries challenging for it: us, Ibriz, Japan, Bavaria, Provence, Egypt and one or two others.

As for OOBs, I've got most of the great powers fixed up (a couple still need some boosting though), but still need to make my through all of the minor/ROTW countries.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Yeah, it's been almost a century, but I can't imagine we're ever going to reconquer Ibriz - it's too big, too different and too powerful at this point. That said, one of our parties are going to be campaigning on the platform of imperialism, so it might be possible to retake our lost Caribbean colonies, and maybe demand a concession or two from Ibriz themselves.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hashim posted:

As for OOBs, I've got most of the great powers fixed up (a couple still need some boosting though), but still need to make my through all of the minor/ROTW countries.

I suggest finishing up the secondary powers for completion-sake and then making proper armies for any other nations that are either at war or get involved in wars in the first few years (due to foreign cores or other CB's). Vicky 2 AI is decently competent at building up armies within the first two years as long as there's a global supply of small arms and canned food. By the way, that's a good way to see if the starting economic setup is working, if five years in most everyone have armies proportional to their soldier POPs then that side of the economy is functional. If factories are getting built in rich countries, that's another good sign of a relatively healthy global economy.

So, you know, make sure there are some cement, machine parts, small arms, clipper convoy, ammunition and canned food factroys in the existing industrial nations. The rest should sort itself out through the magic of artesans and the invisible hand of the free market.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Hashim posted:

The 8th spot is kinda free-for-all right now, with a bunch of different countries challenging for it: us, Ibriz, Japan, Bavaria, Provence, Egypt and one or two others.

I reckon only the nations who were part of the Congress should be considered Great powers.
Nations created after the Congress could have large enough score to become new Great Powers, but I argue that existing pre-Tirruni Great powers wouldn't see them as such at once.

I haven't followed pre March of the Eagles posts, so I cannot say how Japan would be viewed by European powers in 1830s (ie. would they be racist as OTL nations, or would they see them as equals).

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Jesenjin posted:

I reckon only the nations who were part of the Congress should be considered Great powers.
Nations created after the Congress could have large enough score to become new Great Powers, but I argue that existing pre-Tirruni Great powers wouldn't see them as such at once.

I haven't followed pre March of the Eagles posts, so I cannot say how Japan would be viewed by European powers in 1830s (ie. would they be racist as OTL nations, or would they see them as equals).

Japan is a revolutionary republic, so the very anti-revolutionary republic alliance that just won dominance in Europe probably has a low opinion of it.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 14, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Jesenjin posted:

I doubt any of the Western powers will really consider Japan their equals, not until they manage to defeat one of them in war, like in OTL.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Okay, so the pops are about 2/3rds done, I'm working my through OOBs, and I'm still adding the suggested events and decisions - so if you've got more, feel free to let me know.

The map itself is also mostly done. There's some tuning that needs doing, and a few provinces will probably be swapped here and there, but this is what the world is looking like in 1836:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Siberian Tsardom controls barely any of Siberia. Maybe like, "Ural Tsardom" would be more accurate.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, what colonial possessions do we have left?

I think Cape Verde, the Azores, and Madeira are our yellow on the map?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Events/decisions for Scandinavia to try and solidify their hold by going after Denmark and the North Sea, while Russia would want to push them out of the southeastern baltics? I feel like Japan would've grabbed Sakhalin at least during the MotE era, but probably some events for them to start the game by cleaning up the northeast -- forget if parts of that were already added. Maybe some events that let Morocco create crown dependencies in Oceana/South Africa, depending on their gov type and how the initial wars went. Some decisions/events for the Cedi Empire to reform and unify/consolidate its holdings and position or collapse? Could give Benin a fun little Opium War light chain right after westernizing where they go for the isolated Sui on Haian (or expand that to a couple different countries). Probably keeping it under wraps, but some Carbinari type stuff leading into TTL's 1848 would be cool as well.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
If I might implore the Majils to reconsider the naming of Moroccan Usturaliya and instead name it Aljanub. Australia is from latin Australis, southern. Aljanub roughly translates to [Land] of the South, similarly to how our of name of Al-Andalus roughly translates to [Land] of the Andalusians.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who's likely to be a power in Asia? I'd be interested in creating some type of great power politics over there, perhaps give some interesting nation a Meiji Restoration-esq event line and give the free Indian states a unification event line in order to make sure that this isn't just "Colonialism 2, Islamic Boogaloo"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I might include an event chain that allows Egypt to decide its place in the world. As I remember, it's a settler colonial state where the wealthy and powerful are French-speaking Catholics but the population is almost entirely Egyptian Muslim and Coptic. With the recent humiliations in Syria and the Levant and the rise of nationalism, the government would probably need to take some reforms to placate their citizens or face increasing internal upheaval and the possibility of a revolution.

I'd also deal with include some events to deal with the remaining European holdings in Gharbia, but I don't know how much you already have planned for this

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

I might include an event chain that allows Egypt to decide its place in the world. As I remember, it's a settler colonial state where the wealthy and powerful are French-speaking Catholics but the population is almost entirely Egyptian Muslim and Coptic. With the recent humiliations in Syria and the Levant and the rise of nationalism, the government would probably need to take some reforms to placate their citizens or face increasing internal upheaval and the possibility of a revolution.

I'd also deal with include some events to deal with the remaining European holdings in Gharbia, but I don't know how much you already have planned for this

Perhaps some free officers might start to take offense to this foreign monarchy...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I thought they had a Coptic ruling dynasty, though?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, what colonial possessions do we have left?

I think Cape Verde, the Azores, and Madeira are our yellow on the map?

Yep, that's all we've got right now.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Events/decisions for Scandinavia to try and solidify their hold by going after Denmark and the North Sea, while Russia would want to push them out of the southeastern baltics? I feel like Japan would've grabbed Sakhalin at least during the MotE era, but probably some events for them to start the game by cleaning up the northeast -- forget if parts of that were already added. Maybe some events that let Morocco create crown dependencies in Oceana/South Africa, depending on their gov type and how the initial wars went. Some decisions/events for the Cedi Empire to reform and unify/consolidate its holdings and position or collapse? Could give Benin a fun little Opium War light chain right after westernizing where they go for the isolated Sui on Haian (or expand that to a couple different countries). Probably keeping it under wraps, but some Carbinari type stuff leading into TTL's 1848 would be cool as well.

We'll see what to do with Japan/Ibriz when I decide what to do regarding the ROTW (votes or rolls or whatever), so basically after I've got the rest of the conversion done. I like the rest of those ideas though. Morocco starts off with a ton of colonies, so they're gonna have a very hard time expanding unless they spin off a few vassals and dependencies. As for the Cedi Empire/Orissa, they're gonna need all the help they can get, since they're starting off with only a couple reforms, so I'll give them a couple events to help them out a bit.

habeasdorkus posted:

Who's likely to be a power in Asia? I'd be interested in creating some type of great power politics over there, perhaps give some interesting nation a Meiji Restoration-esq event line and give the free Indian states a unification event line in order to make sure that this isn't just "Colonialism 2, Islamic Boogaloo"

The only Asian powers to really shine by the end of EU4 were the Mongols and Japan (and it took them a good while to get going, too). I'll probably give the Cedi Empire some help though, and maybe make it possible for the south Chinese states to form a union in an attempt to retake the north, hopefully throw in a couple challengers to the Asian crown that way.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, Egypt's primary culture is Sahidic (descendants of European Catholic settlers), but they'll start off with a decent amount Sahidic pops in Alexandria, Dumyat and a couple other coastal provinces - so there's going to be a hefty presence in Lower Egypt, with the ethnic Egyptians completely dominant in Cairo and everything south from there.

There will also be a tag for muslim Egypt, to represent the cessation of a strict Muslim-only state in the region.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I thought they had a Coptic ruling dynasty, though?

I could be mistaken, but I thought they ended CK2 with a Catholic dynasty and that the country was fully Catholic at the end of EU4.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I could be mistaken, but I thought they ended CK2 with a Catholic dynasty and that the country was fully Catholic at the end of EU4.

Culturally Coptic, I meant. Up until now, I had assumed the Copts (with the Europeans) and Arabs had just switched places, so to speak.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know it'd be kinda nuts since it's been centuries since they made the switch, but the Red Turbans should get some kind of missions to take the other side of the Yellow Sea where they started out. They deserve something, especially since they're going to be contending with Revolutionary Japan. Their history's already kinda nuts anyways.

Maybe some kind of Italian nationalist movement? Especially since there was an independent kingdom of Italy for the longest time nestled between Provence and Palermo, there'd definitely be some kind of extra resentment for foreign rulers.

I have no real idea how missions and events work in V2 so I'm just spitballing. Maybe something where Morocco can try selling off its European properties like Austria kept trying to do with Belgium? (not selling to Al Andalus or Greece, obviously)

Edit: What the heck is Cherson doing on that map? They have Crimea, one extra bit of the Black Sea coast, and then some kind of landlocked province that's important enough to get the name hovering over it?

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 14, 2018

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Hashim posted:

Okay, so the pops are about 2/3rds done, I'm working my through OOBs, and I'm still adding the suggested events and decisions - so if you've got more, feel free to let me know.

Maybe a "lesser manifest destiny" for the Waono to occupy the whole western coast as prevention against colonization. It would be fun to have a boxed-in North America with multiple nations in-fighting. Altenatively, if they manage to survive Ibriz's agression and gain the upper hand, they'll try to have a Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
No way Waono hits #16 to allow it to start settling stuff. France will be ready to grab WA and OR pretty much on day 1, anyway.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Give Waono hyper gold rush events and compound it with a decision to get Calinesia as the most densely populated state by 1936 :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I just want plucky Manichaean Korea to keep being a thing

Because holy poo poo

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Maybe include something to get that trio of central asian Khanates to unify or become part of Siberia?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Captain Oblivious posted:

I just want plucky Manichaean Korea to keep being a thing

Because holy poo poo

Agreed!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
I really do like Manichean Korea trapped between revolutionary Japan and Asian Morocco. So here are a few flags for Red Turban Korea:

A golden cross and sun on deep crimson for the militant-religious government of Korea (could work for a monarchist state as well).

A republican form of the same.

A fascist form.

A communist form, with the cross formed by hands holding a hammer.

Given that the Mongolian Empire is Muslim, I feel that the default flag for Mongolia is not as fitting. The old one, with the sun, moon and flame of prosperity and luck on a sky blue background works better.

A simplified republican version.

A fascist version using the colors of the four cardinal directions in Chinese tradition expressing the intention of the government to conquer the north, east, south and west under one Mongolian rule.

A fairly simple communist flag.

All of Japan's default flags work fine, but being the bastion of revolutionary thought in Asia I felt like a more interesting republican flag was in order. This is based off a flag the Japanese post office used to use.

Turning to non-flag concerns, the Mongol Empire probably ought to have a claim on Mongolia.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Maybe include something to get that trio of central asian Khanates to unify or become part of Siberia?

They're great chew toys for Khwarezim and Siberia and Russia as is. It'll take them years to eat through them. No sense speeding that up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

An event for Egypt to inhereit/civil war Sudan, and a Scramble for Africa prelude series in Libya/Cyrenaica between Morroco and Egypt. An event to encourage Hejaz cleaning up the pennensula. Hopefully Cherison still has cores on most of its pre-MotE land.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

An event for Egypt to inhereit/civil war Sudan, and a Scramble for Africa prelude series in Libya/Cyrenaica between Morroco and Egypt. An event to encourage Hejaz cleaning up the pennensula. Hopefully Cherison still has cores on most of its pre-MotE land.

Yep that'd be a good idea for Egypt, since there's no way to diplomatically annex vassals in vanilla. Also, yeah Cherson does have cores on its lost territories, but it tends to lose its possessions in Romania pretty quickly anyways.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Clayren posted:

I really do like Manichean Korea trapped between revolutionary Japan and Asian Morocco. So here are a few flags for Red Turban Korea:

A golden cross and sun on deep crimson for the militant-religious government of Korea (could work for a monarchist state as well).

A fascist form.

Given that the Mongolian Empire is Muslim, I feel that the default flag for Mongolia is not as fitting. The old one, with the sun, moon and flame of prosperity and luck on a sky blue background works better.

A fascist version using the colors of the four cardinal directions in Chinese tradition expressing the intention of the government to conquer the north, east, south and west under one Mongolian rule.

All of Japan's default flags work fine, but being the bastion of revolutionary thought in Asia I felt like a more interesting republican flag was in order. This is based off a flag the Japanese post office used to use.

Turning to non-flag concerns, the Mongol Empire probably ought to have a claim on Mongolia.

These flags are neat! Although I do feel that Japanese flag is still a bit too close to the regular one.
I'm repeating myself a bit here, but I feel like using the flag of Hokkaido (allegedly based on the flag of the shortlived Republic of Ezo) would be a better starting point:

It's very distinct from the traditional Japanese flag, which makes sense for a Revolutionary Republic looking to make a clear break with the ancien regime.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

These flags are neat! Although I do feel that Japanese flag is still a bit too close to the regular one.
I'm repeating myself a bit here, but I feel like using the flag of Hokkaido (allegedly based on the flag of the shortlived Republic of Ezo) would be a better starting point:

It's very distinct from the traditional Japanese flag, which makes sense for a Revolutionary Republic looking to make a clear break with the ancien regime.

Oh, I like that one a lot better than mine actually, very distinct.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Clayren posted:

Isn't Korea a Korean Confucian majority ruled by an Chinese Manichean minority? I would assume that at the least a fascist and communist version would have more traditional Korean symbolism rather than the Gnostic symbols. Is it possible for the Koreans to overthrow their overlords? The vanilla monarchy flag would probably work if they put in a Korean monarch instead of one of the other options.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Clayren posted:

A fascist form.

Love all these but the communist circle jerk one

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cant wait for the mongol war against mongolia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking at this map, I don't really know much about African or Asian history to say whether or not it's all that ahistorical. Morocco's colonial empire is very much like Britain's, so they're probably going to drown in money, as well as running most of the slave trade of the planet all by itself.

The weirdest thing is probably the fact that China's been disunited for so long, it's probably more likely that one of the Chinese states will be open to trade, maybe one of them will westernize and be this timeline's underdog Japan, maybe Japan will be this timeline's China. It's really hard to say. The Mongol Empire is big, but it's gonna be locking horns with Japan for a long time, and it's going to be a real latecomer to the world stage without a coastline to go out and meet the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Morocco is decades behind Britain re: India. Britain was the most powerful player on the subcontinent by 1757 and became undisputed master of it by 1818 (and emphasized in 1849, when they brought down the Sikhs, the final powerful native state not under their thumbs). Morocco is somewhere in the 1780s-1790s in comparison with the IRL Brits, with that powerful east Indian state playing the role of the Marathas, the final native power still capable of threatening them.