Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I cannot in good faith endorse anything to do with whatever you got planned.

And why is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LemonLimeTime posted:

So I'm not sure who on this thread is familiar enough with Steven Universe and it's characters (likely all of you because it's a cosplay thread), but my girlfriend and I are thinking about going as Yellow and Blue Diamonds for Halloween. I have friends who do cosplay and they usually pay to have their costumes done for them by someone else. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for someone living in the New England area? And how much would this cost for each of us, roughly speaking? (we'd be paying for our own costumes individually)

The linked thread is probably the best place here to get started. Unfortunately, it's drat near impossible to guess how much someone else might charge for a custom piece of clothing. It will depend on what material is used, how long it takes and how many adjustments need to be made. As an absolute stab in the dark I'd imagine a couple hundred, but again, total guess. Or to put it another way, probably enough that you would want to use it for more than one halloween.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
bad news yall

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Roy’s our... proud boy?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy god gently caress HIM

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

LemonLimeTime posted:

So I'm not sure who on this thread is familiar enough with Steven Universe and it's characters (likely all of you because it's a cosplay thread), but my girlfriend and I are thinking about going as Yellow and Blue Diamonds for Halloween. I have friends who do cosplay and they usually pay to have their costumes done for them by someone else. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources for someone living in the New England area? And how much would this cost for each of us, roughly speaking? (we'd be paying for our own costumes individually)

Others have commented already on rough stabs of price, but I'm a SU fan as well, so I have an idea of the characters.

Of the two, Blue Diamond will be less expensive, and could actually be done reasonably on your own, actually. The only bits that are tricky are a white wig long and full enough to get it to loop together in front and the diamond itself. Rest is a dress with cutaway shoulders (and that's only if you take off the shawl), a shawl, blue facepaint, and dramatic lower fake lashes. Rough estimate for doing yourself and still looking rock solid are ~$50 - 75 at most, with most of that going toward the wig and the gem via 3d printing or sommat. (Dunno how prevalent thrift shops are in your area, but the dress and shawl should be totally doable with some hunting)

Giraffe Mom has more going on due to the helmet-like hair and pointy shoulders (and the gem, of course). The other estimates of $200 - 300 depending on how nice you want YD to be feels accurate.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i will never understand how anime nazis are a thing

see also: nazi furries, trans nazis, etc, etc, etc for every traditional nerd/outcast/weirdo demographic

also shoutout to the “new atheists” for going nazi, too

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
People are trash, hth.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TenementFunster posted:

see also: nazi furries, trans nazis, etc, etc, etc for every traditional nerd/outcast/weirdo demographic

It's not without precident.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

my girlfriend and I are thinking about going as Yellow and Blue Diamonds for Halloween
Wouldn't Ruby and Sapphire be better, since you're a couple?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Wouldn't Ruby and Sapphire be better, since you're a couple?

Maybe Yellow and Blue are their favorite characters? :shrug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TenementFunster posted:

Okay, so for some people there is obviously something very appealing about being told that they are inherently superior to other people. I mean, people wouldn't be putting on swasitkas and going out and getting their teeth knocked into their eye sockets unless they really believed in the cause, right? So my theory is that these people want so very badly to be ubermench that they are able to come up with a jsutification why, no you guys, Hitler would totally have been on board with my identity as a *insert demographic that the real nazis would have slaughtered without a second thought.*

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering Hitler had his gay best friend murdered I just don't understand it myself. Which is a terrible costume idea as well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'Hitler's gay BFF' should be a username here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

It probably already is.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

rydiafan posted:

Maybe Yellow and Blue are their favorite characters? :shrug:

Could be! Could also be that I was making a mild joke! Who knows? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wanna pet that robodogball

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
BB8 my homework :3:

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Wanna pet that robodogball

Looks like your too late.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You have forced the joke I explicitly avoided. A thousand deaths upon you

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Predator caught by police

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/ChaoticAnarachy/status/1010982811564695554
Science Team approves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's amazing.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=N6rwymIcipM

S-A-I-L-O-R
M-O-O-N

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd watch that anime.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Cas quickly became my favorite part about that show. I haven't watched in a while and still think it should have ended back at the season 5 finale, but the "Supernatural" folks all seem pretty awesome.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Not actually cosplay, but the guy looks exactly like the chef from Ratatouille.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prove to me he isn't doing it on purpose.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He just needs this hat

New Leaf posted:

I haven't watched in a while and still think it should have ended back at the season 5 finale, but the "Supernatural" folks all seem pretty awesome.

Their convention fan photos are delightful

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Jun 27, 2018

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I've never watched supernatural but they seem like a bunch of really cool dudes. I bet those fans bloody loved it. Not a hoverhand in sight!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Roblo posted:

I've never watched supernatural but they seem like a bunch of really cool dudes. I bet those fans bloody loved it. Not a hoverhand in sight!

In The X-Files, the "monster of the week" shows were the most enjoyable. "Supernatural" started out as a "monster of the week" type show, but once they got their footing and started rolling with the meta-plot, it got loving FANTASTIC! Then about season 5 EVERYTHING they'd been building to hit a beautiful climax the season finale was the perfect end to the series.. and then they kept going.. and going.. and going. I won't lie, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the next few seasons, but somewhere around 9 or 10 I fell off the horse.. and I think it's up to season 13 now, so someone is watching.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

New Leaf posted:

In The X-Files, the "monster of the week" shows were the most enjoyable. "Supernatural" started out as a "monster of the week" type show, but once they got their footing and started rolling with the meta-plot, it got loving FANTASTIC! Then about season 5 EVERYTHING they'd been building to hit a beautiful climax the season finale was the perfect end to the series.. and then they kept going.. and going.. and going. I won't lie, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the next few seasons, but somewhere around 9 or 10 I fell off the horse.. and I think it's up to season 13 now, so someone is watching.

The new seasons aren't nearly as fun as the old ones, but they still have some moments. But yeah, I think they genuinely enjoy their fans, which is really cool. The show is so much ham and cheese but usually in a good way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is pretty drat impressive.

https://twitter.com/zibartas/status/1011552029569937410

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, we get it; Your arm vapes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
When does Doom's fist open sideways, 0/10.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Popped up in the darksouls subreddit, and you know I'm all about that -

Apparently it's all genuine and LARP ready, and was comissioned from "Les Artisans D'azure" in Montreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right