Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Done, finished planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Children of Don

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Don Ameche, acting planet

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dude, awesome planet.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dude, worm’s my spice?!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Spice World, Girl planet.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dule, ambiguously named planet

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I tried to check out God Emporer of Dune from the library but some dick broke the binding and it was being repaired :argh:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Choam

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Choam Nhomsky

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NOAMCHOMSKI - Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

sebmojo posted:

NOAMCHOMSKI - Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sebmojo posted:

This but Dune-related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XnS1BncrYM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Testikles posted:

Dune, God Emperor, Messiah, Children, Chapterhouse, Heretics

i'm getting near the end of a full series re-read (about 1/3 through Chapter House) and so far I'm inclined to put Children at the bottom

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
List of good dune books i've read:

Dune

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
in my first reading, children was the only one i stopped and put down for a length of time. dune, messiah, god-emperor... i just devoured those in a few days. but children i stopped at some point and came back to it maybe a week later. it's not bad, and it has some neat stuff in it, but dune and messiah are paul's story and children just feels like the piece to get the story from point a to point b.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Every time you buy a Dune, Brian Herbert gets a residual.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Communist Walrus posted:

Every time you buy a Dune, Brian Herbert gets a residual.

That seems so wrong

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Just do what Siona did and steal the books you want to read.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The best Dune books are dusty ancient copies that you extract from the depths of some musty used book store or flea market

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

The best Dune books are dusty ancient copies that you extract from the depths of some musty used book store or flea market

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I will never ever forget the moment I found a hardback copy of Children in a Moscow, ID used bookstore. I had all the others in hardback and it was the last one I needed and I had been looking for it in every used bookstore I found for years. Only $3.50!....but they only took cash, so I had to go find an ATM and come back. Immediately, I mean, not like whenever it was convenient. 20 years later and I still have it.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

This thread has inspired me to re-read the series. I'm partway through Heretics, and I noticed something that seems to have been entirely abandoned after Heretics. At least I think so. I mean, I haven't restarted Chapterhouse yet. The Honored Maters and the new face dancers aren't the only faction coming back from the scattering. There's at least a groups oppesed to the Honored Maters. After Burzmali rescues Duncan and Lucilla, the woman that helps them get into the city seems to be from a group that's trained to kill Honored Maters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looking at Amazon and it's kind of funny how they sell a bundle of the series but only the original books. Also saw that one of the son books had (Dune Universe book 18) after the title. That's too many loving trash sequels.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Looking at Amazon and it's kind of funny how they sell a bundle of the series but only the original books. Also saw that one of the son books had (Dune Universe book 18) after the title. That's too many loving trash sequels.

Frank Herbert's notes contained a message to his son telling him to cash in.

What? Oh, no, you can't see the notes.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Communist Walrus posted:

Frank Herbert's notes contained a message to his son telling him to cash in.

What? Oh, no, you can't see the notes.

Of course you can, check out this sweet photo of a 5-1/4 floppy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1008080703945207808

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Soon, approaching planet.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Shaddak posted:

This thread has inspired me to re-read the series. I'm partway through Heretics, and I noticed something that seems to have been entirely abandoned after Heretics. At least I think so. I mean, I haven't restarted Chapterhouse yet. The Honored Maters and the new face dancers aren't the only faction coming back from the scattering. There's at least a groups oppesed to the Honored Maters. After Burzmali rescues Duncan and Lucilla, the woman that helps them get into the city seems to be from a group that's trained to kill Honored Maters.

The unnamed foe (which became LORD CYBERTREX 9k) was an unnamed threat in the last two books. It was a really good buildup, but he died before his big reveal. Judging from those weird cat-humans, I was guessing it might be aliens, or a group of humans that were so far gone they were practically alien. No telling, really.

I think it's Odrade who first deduces that the Matres aren't coming back for pure conquest. They've had to relinquish their own worlds. They are essentially like the Vandals. Everyone thought they were badasses until they figured out the Vandals were running away from something. That something being Attila the Hun.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Caladan, probably. Maybe Geidi Prime too, if they're including Feyd's arena fight. Those would need enough exterior shots that you'd want a real world base.

Goon, dessert planet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Love how he puts spaces after his ellipses. Another charming foible from a total turdlord.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

The unnamed foe (which became LORD CYBERTREX 9k) was an unnamed threat in the last two books. It was a really good buildup, but he died before his big reveal. Judging from those weird cat-humans, I was guessing it might be aliens, or a group of humans that were so far gone they were practically alien. No telling, really.

I think it's Odrade who first deduces that the Matres aren't coming back for pure conquest. They've had to relinquish their own worlds. They are essentially like the Vandals. Everyone thought they were badasses until they figured out the Vandals were running away from something. That something being Attila the Hun.

My figuring was it'd be whatever Marty and Daniel were. A force so powerful they could tamper with the fabric of space and time while weeding

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
It was basically the return of machine thinking collectivists (super face dancers) right

He was very libertarian

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

My figuring was it'd be whatever Marty and Daniel were. A force so powerful they could tamper with the fabric of space and time while weeding

Yeah, the fact that they show up right at the end was so out of the blue that it turbofucks any analysis of the story. lol

I kinda thought the "weeding" was like the "net" that Idaho saw in his mentat projections. Some kind of metaphor for something that humans could barely grasp. That's part of what made me think aliens, because the implication was that they were tampering with human beings on a galactic scale.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
MOON: that spells ‘planet’

Testikles posted:

tamper with the fabric of space and time while weeding

:2bong:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Is the movie being based on the books or this tool’s lovely fanfic?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

Is the movie being based on the books or this tool’s lovely fanfic?

Based on his tweets he's sending "comments" to Legendary on the script drafts. I haven't seen any indication they're getting to Villeneuve or that he even knows who Herbert Jr is.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

phasmid posted:

Yeah, the fact that they show up right at the end was so out of the blue that it turbofucks any analysis of the story. lol

I kinda thought the "weeding" was like the "net" that Idaho saw in his mentat projections. Some kind of metaphor for something that humans could barely grasp. That's part of what made me think aliens, because the implication was that they were tampering with human beings on a galactic scale.

It's just smoking a shitload of weed, op

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'm down with the idea of Marty and Daniel being facedancers. Assuming that's where Frank was going with it, I do wonder about how they were able to contact Duncan. I mean, as others have suggested, maybe they were facedancers that absorbed so many lives they became god-like. I was thinking it may have had something to do with whatever the Tleilaxu had done to this incarnation of Duncan. We still don't what all they crammed into his cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Shaddak posted:

I'm down with the idea of Marty and Daniel being facedancers. Assuming that's where Frank was going with it, I do wonder about how they were able to contact Duncan. I mean, as others have suggested, maybe they were facedancers that absorbed so many lives they became god-like. I was thinking it may have had something to do with whatever the Tleilaxu had done to this incarnation of Duncan. We still don't what all they crammed into his cells.

No, those hints in the text that they're face dancers were just to throw readers off so you'd be all like HOLY poo poo ROBOTS, THE ONE THING DUNE WAS LACKING as you read Dune 7: Revenge of the Mechanoids