Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Yuns, is your firm considering moving to a PC from an LLP? I know my firm is looking into it but haven’t heard anything further. Will be interesting to see if a bunch of firms convert once partners get their year-end draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I haven't heard anything either at my old firm or my current one about a move to PC. That doesn't mean it's not happening though. I just don't know. I head up a practice but I'm not on management committee or anything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My friend's been a biglaw associate for 9.5 years, he's pretty hosed in terms of getting partner isn't he

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

My friend's been a biglaw associate for 9.5 years, he's pretty hosed in terms of getting partner isn't he

My old firm, 9-10 yrs has become the norm for making junior partner.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Side note: Counsel/Of Counsel can also be used to mean former partners who have aged past the mandatory buyout but who continue to work because they’re masochists

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

My old firm, 9-10 yrs has become the norm for making junior partner.

The new normal sure sucks doesn't it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

disjoe posted:

Side note: Counsel/Of Counsel can also be used to mean former partners who have aged past the mandatory buyout but who continue to work because they’re masochists

Or they realize they hate their spouse once they get more than 10 waking hours per week with them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

disjoe posted:

Or they bring in clients but are basically retired from doing actual law talking guy work.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

The new normal sure sucks doesn't it

Lol

Will no one think of the poor biglaw senior associate?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Here’s a story about clients and how they are the currency of partnership.

A young, charismatic man, GJ, gets out of the navy and goes to law school. His naval experience, talent, and gift of gab help him build quite a reputation in the admiralty field, and he builds a well-respected firm that grows to 20-30 lawyers.

Over the years, as he gets older, GJ starts to pull back, and other partners begin moving in to stake their claims. These guys have no clients of their own but were made partner in the 80s, when that didn’t matter. Now, they are fighting amongst themselves as to which clients are “theirs.”

Generally the clients don’t care. Their work is being done and the old man is still the face of the company, still visits them and takes them out for a few drinks to talk sailing stories. One of these clients, Refinery, is claimed by a partner named Paul, who for the next 20 years jealously guards their business.

Of course Paul eventually doesn’t do any work for the client, and is content to let associates do everything and just collect the money because of course everyone knows the client is his. This is how it goes for all of them, really—all these partners in their 60s who never developed their own business but who have no problem telling associates the partnership is closed unless they bring in new business.

Eventually Paul retires too. One associate, Greg, who is very talented and experienced and has a great relationship with Refinery, gets passed over. Another partner has decided that he gets to inherit Refinery, you see. Our firm requires partners to manage clients and well, you’re not a partner. Greg quits and lo and behold takes the general counsel position at Refinery (for an 80% bump in salary).

Now imagine the glee with which Greg calls outside counsel, his former firm, and tells them Refinery’s business is no longer theirs.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 14, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fairy tales make such good bedtime stories

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Firms dont have associates or partners sign agreements that forbid them working with former clients of that firm for x number of years of a noncompete or whatever?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty sure noncompetes are illegal for lawyers. I know they are in Louisiana. The rationale is that clients should have absolute choice over who their lawyer is.

e. There are ethical obligations as far as how clients are supposed to be handled and limitations on solicitation, and partners certainly have fiduciary relationships with one another.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 14, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Noncompetes are either illegal or an ethical violation. Or both. You can’t restrict the practice of law because it might mean someone is deprived of their choice of lawyer.

Conflicts of interest rules kind of serve the purpose of noncompetes without being as draconian.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone know of any good job posting sites? indeed & monster have the exact same posts, most of which are reports of state job postings, and my schools career page has a lot of posts as well, but most are for associates with a few years under their belts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty sure noncompetes are illegal for lawyers. I know they are in Louisiana. The rationale is that clients should have absolute choice over who their lawyer is.

e. There are ethical obligations as far as how clients are supposed to be handled and limitations on solicitation, and partners certainly have fiduciary relationships with one another.

you do, however, sometimes see people manage to find ways around this since it's frequently a demand from defendants that the lawyers representing the plaintiff agree never to represent similar plaintiffs in a settlement

iirc it came out that one of the Fox News sexmonsters basically made this happen by making it a condition of the settlement that the plaintiff's firm advise him on how to protect himself from sexual harassment, making it an irreconcilable conflict for them to represent someone suing him for sexual harassment

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anyone know of any good job posting sites? indeed & monster have the exact same posts, most of which are reports of state job postings, and my schools career page has a lot of posts as well, but most are for associates with a few years under their belts.

The Texas State Bar does job postings. Maybe yours does too?

Also, one of the things I did during the grind was to start writing letters to every 1-3 attorney firm in town saying, "Hey, I'm a new lawyer looking for work - if you're busy or need temporary or contract labor for a project or something, I'll bill out at $XXX an hour. Hit me up!"

It gave me something to do, got a few part time things, and eventually turned into my first real job.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Check out docketly too.

Can I hire you at 10 an hour to write my briefs?

Hey zwabu could I DM you about an anesthesia question? My kid is having general anesthesia for dental work and a kid in Austin died under that a few years ago, and well I'm nervous.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 14, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here is a small firm, Plimsoll, McClean & Maersk, that has been around for over a hundred years, in a niche practice area. Names on the door have been dead for fifty years. Five partners and two experienced associates. Three of the partners, Randolph, Mortimer, and Smails, have the lion's share of the business, maybe 90% of it split evenly between each of them. The remaining two partners have the rest, but most everyone works on Randolph's or Mortimer's cases.

Randolph and Mortimer are having lunch one day and decide they have had enough of footing the bill for the firm's overhead. The associates are approaching a decade with the firm and are demanding more and more every year. One of them even asked about partnership. With no clients of his own, can you imagine? Smails is getting old, and he isn't very leveraged anymore---he supports himself and his secretary, and pitches in to keep the lights on. But his clients are merging or going out of business and leaving the firm one by one. Mortimer says a large local firm has been sniffing around, feeling him out about leaving. Randolph thinks that sounds capital.

One morning they both announce they are leaving the firm. It's been a great run, but its time to move on. We will be bringing our secretaries, but nobody else unfortunately. Don't worry, this firm has been around a hundred years, we're sure it will be around another hundred. Okay, we're going to lunch.

60% of the firm's business walks out of the door with them. Smails is struggling to pay himself, and certainly can't pay the salary and benefits for two associates, three secretaries, an office manager and a paralegal. The associates have nothing to work on, because they have no clients and all their time was spent servicing Mortimer and Randoph. The other two partners are bringing in about $150k in business a year each, so they immediately look for somewhere to land.

Six months later, Plimsoll, McClean & Maersk has dissolved. Mortimer and Randolph are doing great---when they left, a couple of the younger partners' clients freaked out and came with them. How fortunate! The new firm has lots of young, hard working associates that put to shame the two kids from PM&M.

Smails is of counsel with a small local firm. His client base has evaporated but he's made enough money that he doesn't care. He goes into the office for a few hours every day to get away from his wife. If he retires, he's certain he will drop dead, so he dresses in his three piece suit and heads to work every morning to read the newspaper and work on the four or five cases he still has.

The associates landed at firms that pay a little less than PM&M, for a little more work. They are told in vague terms that they're on the partnership track, but they know better. They're 10th year associates, and the firms haven't made a new partner in a decade (but plenty of associates have come and gone).

One of the junior partners gets an in-house job in Texas. His wife divorces him and keeps the kids and house, but he buys a Porsche and starts working out a lot. Life is "good."

The other junior partner kills himself.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Uplifting stuff.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
How's the Porsche handle, Phil?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Mr. Nice! posted:

goinhouse has different stuff sometimes but it's kind of niche and probably not very entry level friendly

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here is a small firm, Plimsoll, McClean & Maersk, that has been around for over a hundred years, in a niche practice area. Names on the door have been dead for fifty years. Five partners and two experienced associates. Three of the partners, Randolph, Mortimer, and Smails, have the lion's share of the business, maybe 90% of it split evenly between each of them. The remaining two partners have the rest, but most everyone works on Randolph's or Mortimer's cases.

Randolph and Mortimer are having lunch one day and decide they have had enough of footing the bill for the firm's overhead. The associates are approaching a decade with the firm and are demanding more and more every year. One of them even asked about partnership. With no clients of his own, can you imagine? Smails is getting old, and he isn't very leveraged anymore---he supports himself and his secretary, and pitches in to keep the lights on. But his clients are merging or going out of business and leaving the firm one by one. Mortimer says a large local firm has been sniffing around, feeling him out about leaving. Randolph thinks that sounds capital.

One morning they both announce they are leaving the firm. It's been a great run, but its time to move on. We will be bringing our secretaries, but nobody else unfortunately. Don't worry, this firm has been around a hundred years, we're sure it will be around another hundred. Okay, we're going to lunch.

60% of the firm's business walks out of the door with them. Smails is struggling to pay himself, and certainly can't pay the salary and benefits for two associates, three secretaries, an office manager and a paralegal. The associates have nothing to work on, because they have no clients and all their time was spent servicing Mortimer and Randoph. The other two partners are bringing in about $150k in business a year each, so they immediately look for somewhere to land.

Six months later, Plimsoll, McClean & Maersk has dissolved. Mortimer and Randolph are doing great---when they left, a couple of the younger partners' clients freaked out and came with them. How fortunate! The new firm has lots of young, hard working associates that put to shame the two kids from PM&M.

Smails is of counsel with a small local firm. His client base has evaporated but he's made enough money that he doesn't care. He goes into the office for a few hours every day to get away from his wife. If he retires, he's certain he will drop dead, so he dresses in his three piece suit and heads to work every morning to read the newspaper and work on the four or five cases he still has.

The associates landed at firms that pay a little less than PM&M, for a little more work. They are told in vague terms that they're on the partnership track, but they know better. They're 10th year associates, and the firms haven't made a new partner in a decade (but plenty of associates have come and gone).

One of the junior partners gets an in-house job in Texas. His wife divorces him and keeps the kids and house, but he buys a Porsche and starts working out a lot. Life is "good."

The other junior partner kills himself.

Keep going :catstare:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

all their time was spent servicing Mortimer and Randoph.

Hot.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't forgotten you Mr. Nice. I am reaching out to some buddies in Florida and will touch base with you middle of next week.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Where does Eddie Murphy fit in

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Check out docketly too.

Can I hire you at 10 an hour to write my briefs?

Hey zwabu could I DM you about an anesthesia question? My kid is having general anesthesia for dental work and a kid in Austin died under that a few years ago, and well I'm nervous.

Sure.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EwokEntourage posted:

Where does Eddie Murphy fit in

If Plimsoll had still been around to draw the line the firm wouldn't have gone under.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

If Plimsoll had still been around to draw the line the firm wouldn't have gone under.

:hfive:

Anyone else?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Goddamn I love Phil's stories. Just fyi Phil was the suicide from that tale did unclear how he's posting.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

:golfclap:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Firms dont have associates or partners sign agreements that forbid them working with former clients of that firm for x number of years of a noncompete or whatever?

They'd much rather have you work for the former clients so that you continue to steer business their way, which is why they tend to try to maintain good relationships with the associates they're pushing out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've had to sign noncompetes for insanely assholish doc review companies that presumably never try to enforce them

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
That awkward moment when you’re at annual prosecutor training and remember the spouse of the last “expert” you got disqualified is also a prosecutor. And the even more awkward moment when another person high fives you for it. In front of her. Union picnic tomorrow will be grand. Families are invited.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Interesting. Noncompetes are very much a thing in medicine employment contracts. People tell you when you start out that "they're not really enforceable" but I don't know the track record of success in pursuing these, so I always assume they are at least to some degree enforceable or why would they bother putting them into contracts.

I do know that a number of my current partners who used to be with a local competitor brought substantial business from that competitor when they joined us. I'm pretty sure most or all of them got sued by that group which was well known for suing people who left, but we still have all that business so I'm not sure what if anything their employment contract said about it or what the outcome of those lawsuits were.

I do also know that my own group's contract has pretty onerous noncompete restrictions for anyone leaving. The only issue I know is that it got tested in a minor way by one former member who has poached off a small amount of business but noncompete issues have not been pursued.

In the anesthesia business surgeons are the most analagous thing to a law firm's clients. Even though we bill insurance companies or bill the patients directly, the source of ongoing business is the surgeons and other doctors who seek anesthesia services for whatever procedures they are doing.

In much of America anesthesia groups have an exclusive contract with a hospital, sort of like being in house counsel I guess, with all kind of arrangements ranging from billing insurance and the patient to being salaried employees of the hospital, so the main business relationship is with the hospital or larger company that owns that hospital. The surgeons are still important in that if there becomes a broad perception that the group is performing poorly there will eventually be a move to end the exclusive contract and find/hire different anesthesiologists. Or if a particular surgeon is a very influential "rainmaker" to that hospital, making them unhappy can start to have repercussions even if the rest of the hospital's surgeons are happy.

In my area however we compete directly with other anesthesia practices for each and every surgeon we work with. Even within a surgical practice, some of their partners will use our group and some will use our competitors. It can and does happen that a surgeon fires our group for whatever reason, or that they fire a competitor and start using our services.

Anesthesia billing is also time based (ten to fifteen minute "units") although there are other fudge factors involved.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This is mindblowing to me. I assumed that hospitals just had anesthesiologists on staff directly. I didn't realize it was more of an "in-house" contract gig.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is mindblowing to me. I assumed that hospitals just had anesthesiologists on staff directly. I didn't realize it was more of an "in-house" contract gig.

They're famous for being out of network at in network hospitals

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Pook Good Mook posted:

One of the greatest parts of American health care is when you make sure to go to the hospital that's in your insurance network and then get billed by the out of network anesthesiologist anyway.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Doctor noncompetes are going to be a bit different than noncompetes for other professions because 1) patients should get to stick with their doctor and 2) scarcity. If you’re rural and there are only three cardiologists in a 50 mile radius, a noncompete probably won’t be enforced on public policy grounds.

Some states require doctor noncompetes to have buyout clauses too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Well in a lot of instances the anesthesiologists will in fact be salaried employees, and that's becoming increasingly common not just for anesthesia but for all kinds of specialties nationwide, so if you work for a big health care org like Kaiser or a university you will generally be salaried although there may be considerable incentives for seniority and production. But a lot of times being "exclusive" with a hospital just means that you agree to provide all the anesthesia services needed at that facility, but in many or most instances you will still bill and collect from the patients and their insurance yourselves.

Even though your billing is your own business, if your billing and collection practices are abusive and wind up generating a lot of patient complaints and negative publicity for the hospital then they may fire your entire group or pressure you to change these, or become employees, etc.

Big hospital chains see profit in acquiring and running services like anesthesia, radiology, and pathology themselves, doing their own collections, salarying the docs and skimming the rest. A nice way to pad their bottom line while the current system of insurance based medicine still exists. This kind of fits in with a lot of younger med school grads now being more interested, as a cultural matter, in having more reasonable hours and a livable lifestyle as opposed to the older vision of being a feudal baron of private practice and grinding every last possible dollar out of the system before it dies or they die.

It is simplest and easiest to be salaried, if not the most lucrative. At least you get paid and you know how much. Hospital takes care of your office space, hiring your office people, equipment, covers your malpractice insurance, credentialing fees etc. If you are exclusive but are doing your own billing/collections you have to continually evaluate revenue vs. cost. For instance a hospital may be nice and profitable, but now to maintain your exclusive they want you to have a person in the hospital at all times, 24/7 to cover a new trauma service. If that work is either low volume or has volume that generates no revenue (patients all uninsured etc.) then that is a substantial net cost that eats into your bottom line. If you are losing money at a hospital or barely breaking even then it is easier to just become employees and get a salary if you don't have the option to leave that hospital or area, and if your group doesn't have the leverage to extract some kind of stipend or compensation to cover your losses.

It goes without saying that things change in hospitals too. Some hospitals that were losers find a nice niche of practice and blow up ("we're a center for excellence in robotic pediatric neurosurgery!") and others that were King Turd of poo poo Mountain make a bunch of bad decisions and slide into Failed Shopping Mall territory.