Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My Imaginary GF posted:

So the girlfriend and I are watching 'Hearbreak Ridge' tonight, and she asks me why we were in Korea. I dunno how to really answer her, are there any books we could read together that would help us understand more about why we were in Korea?

The short version is Stalin gave the first Kim the green light to invade and thought the US/britain wouldn’t bother fighting over Korea. Mistake 1. The second mistake was refusing to deal with the UN because people weren’t recognizing the PRC as the real government of China so his people weren’t there to veto the security council resolution that led to a UN Intervention in it. To this day it’s the UN’s most significant conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

My Imaginary GF posted:

So the girlfriend and I are watching 'Hearbreak Ridge' tonight, and she asks me why we were in Korea. I dunno how to really answer her, are there any books we could read together that would help us understand more about why we were in Korea?

The US and the USSR occupied Korea after displacing the Japanese at the end of WWII. Each supported a government that went along with their respective ideologies. The US purposefully withheld armor, artillery, and other material from Syngman Rhee's government because they were afraid he would invade North Korea. Stalin did the opposite with the Kims.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh yeah, I'm aware of this but I meant something a little beefier. The russians (and I assume their predecessors) have a small flotilla in the caspian sea and field (float? is that right?) what they call artillery boats and they are toothsome as hell. The swiss have no need of this so it's all nonsense of course but a boy can dream. Along with my subs in the lakes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bonus round: As for why we were in North Korea, MacArthur was cocky after putting North Korean forces on the run/defensive, we changed our initial operational/strategic goals on the fly, and the US didn't understand that would be a trigger for Chinese intervention. So that whole march on Pyongyang thing was a bad idea.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Where could I find the best analysis and accounts regarding the Battle of the Frontiers?

In French and German. English-language histories have an annoying habit of treating this vast several-army throwdown as but a mere sideshow and curtain-raiser to Our Boys going up to Mons (or, if you're slightly more enlightened, a curtain-raiser to the Marne); the only Frenchmen in the world are General Lanrezac and three comedy farmers, and when the Germans are addressed all the focus usually goes to the STRONK RIGHT VING being beastly to Belgians.

The best you'll do for the French side of things is probably Robert A Doughty's Pyrrhic Victory; it's a rather dull but very necessary narrative about what the French generals and staff were thinking and trying to do. Personal accounts are very hard to come by because of the ridiculously high casualty rate and most of the fighting having been done by people who happened to be in the Army at the time; most of the personal accounts which have made it into English tend to do so because they have the obligatory emotional scenes of being called up on 1 August and leaving hearth and home to bash the Boche, except none of those people actually make it to the war before September or October at the earliest. Ian Sumner's "They Shall Not Pass" has about 12 pages on the Frontiers, including personal accounts, and is generally worth reading anyway, if only to make you annoyed at how much more of this must be out there but stuck in French where we can't read it.

Something decent for the Germans is even harder to come by; even German-focused works still pay far more attention to Belgium and the Marne. There's probably something useful in Jonathan Boff's Haig's Enemy (which I haven't got round to yet), about Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria; he led the Sixth Army in Lorraine in August, and it's where he proved he knew enough to be allowed to actually command the army. That Jorn Leonhard Pandora's Box book is only of limited use because its focus is far more on a political than military history, e.g. he's not particularly interested in the details of Plan XVII or the German attack, just that such plans had been made, and executed in something of a hurry; and when he is interested in boots on the ground of course they're boots in Belgium. Holger Herwig's Marne 1914 has quite a bit about August, but just when I'm wanting him to get into some serious detail, he moves on because of course we need to keep moving towards the Marne, which after all is in the title.

There is a book, Battle of the Frontiers, which claims to deal directly with what we're interested in. Unfortunately it's written by the ever-pungent Terence Zuber, most famous for conducting years-long flame wars on the Internet and the letters page of various journals on the theme of :rant: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE :rant: SCHLIEFFEN PLAN :rant: THERE WAS NEVER SUCH A THING AS THE :rant: SCHLIEFFEN PLAN :rant: ANYONE WHO EVEN THINKS THE WORDS :rant: SCHLIEFFEN PLAN :rant: IS TRYING TO TRADUCE THE GLORIOUS REPUTATION OF THE GREAT GENERAL STAFF :rant: (he's not totally wrong, but the pudding is so over-egged that it's basically scrambled eggs with batter). There's probably some useful stuff in there as long as you know what to bear in mind; Robert Doughty wrote a review which flags up the things to watch out for.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 14, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

HorrificExistence posted:

Likewise, It's important to note that language ideologies about a specific language being exceptional are really common and basically all false.

"English is a mongrel language!"

"Russian is easy because you just have cases instead of pesky highly ordered syntax!"

"Eskimo(not a language) has 15 gaijillion words for snow!"

"Some word in Japanese means some poetic bullshit"

basically never trust any claims people make about anything
This last is sometimes true, more so with idioms rather than individual words, but it's because the authors of classic Japanese literature were typically corny as gently caress and made up fancy words for things so their works would look more dramatic. Usually by taking it from corny Chinese writers.

Of course, the really melodramatic ones sometimes get turned into sarcastic digs.

For example,
https://twitter.com/AintItK/status/1006889119593533441

EDIT: Also to be clearer, it's usually with old fashioned stuff not in common use. It's also not exceptional, you can find the same thing in English or French or whichever language.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 14, 2018

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Three wolf moon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/posistress/status/1006990888411676672

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh my god

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mlmp08 posted:

Bonus round: As for why we were in North Korea, MacArthur was cocky after putting North Korean forces on the run/defensive, we changed our initial operational/strategic goals on the fly, and the US didn't understand that would be a trigger for Chinese intervention. So that whole march on Pyongyang thing was a bad idea.

There was also MacArthur's dealings with the ROC "government in exile" on Taiwan. From my understanding, MacArthur met with ROC leadership around the time of Inchon, claiming later that this was a "THOU SHALT NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE FOR AN INVASION" visit from His divine self. The PRC leadership, however, believed that the opposite was true and he was planning to take his armies into China at the ROC's behalf.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Just think a decades time something worse than Reddit will be around.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just think a decades time something worse than Reddit will be around.

that already exists, it's called gab, it's full of nazis, but fortunately they have fallen into the usual nazi pastime of accusing one another of being feds/in on the jewish plot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

that already exists, it's called gab, it's full of nazis, but fortunately they have fallen into the usual nazi pastime of accusing one another of being feds/in on the jewish plot

Yeah it's hilarious

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hilarious and or gross.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

this always happens to any bunch of nazis, it owns

communists split over doctrine only they care about, nazis do this and sometimes shoot one another

if i were a cruel man i'd go in there and egg them on, but i;m not super subtle

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hilarious and or gross.
it's hilarious because it makes them weaker and less able to do whatever they want to do

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Has it reached the point where some of them are actually ratting each other out to the Feds because they’re mad about having been accused of being a Fed/a secret Jew, or have we not yet reached peak Nazi rear end in a top hat pettiness yet?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Has it reached the point where some of them are actually ratting each other out to the Feds because they’re mad about having been accused of being a Fed/a secret Jew, or have we not yet reached peak Nazi rear end in a top hat pettiness yet?
no but we had a punchup at a trailer park over incestuous cheating :discourse:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This last is sometimes true, more so with idioms rather than individual words, but it's because the authors of classic Japanese literature were typically corny as gently caress and made up fancy words for things so their works would look more dramatic. Usually by taking it from corny Chinese writers.

Of course, the really melodramatic ones sometimes get turned into sarcastic digs.

For example,
https://twitter.com/AintItK/status/1006889119593533441

EDIT: Also to be clearer, it's usually with old fashioned stuff not in common use. It's also not exceptional, you can find the same thing in English or French or whichever language.

I was thinking more about the people who are like "the Japanese word for passion means soo much more than the English one"

Stuff like this, that basically verges on "ancient Chinese secret" levels of orientalism.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

no but we had a punchup at a trailer park over incestuous cheating :discourse:
Excuse me I think you mean there was a punchup at the residential compound in the National Redoubt.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I was thinking more about the people who are like "the Japanese word for passion means soo much more than the English one"

Stuff like this, that basically verges on "ancient Chinese secret" levels of orientalism.
Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking of that particular brand of nonsense.

EDIT: I do really enjoy finding words that encapsulate concepts other languages haven't gotten around to putting in a neat package yet (e.g. schadenfreude or mono no aware) but those just turn into loan words.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 14, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

EDIT: I do really enjoy finding words that encapsulate concepts other languages haven't gotten around to putting in a neat package yet (e.g. schadenfreude or mono no aware) but those just turn into loan words.
tacos

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your girlfriend is clearly a Chicom infiltrator, dump her immediately and report her distressing lack of patriotism to Hoover and his fine fellows in the FBI. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And here I thought they developed these sorts of weird interrelationships between words exclusively for the purpose of making puns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're always told that every other language has ideas and concepts that "English has no word for" so what phrases or words does English have that they don't have words for in other languages

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sisu :finland:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

zoux posted:

We're always told that every other language has ideas and concepts that "English has no word for" so what phrases or words does English have that they don't have words for in other languages
Japanese uses a ton of loan words from English - partly because using random English is "cool" but in some cases because it hit on new ideas. Guro (grotesque) is an example - it's not that Japanese had no words for the concept, but grotesque hit on a particular aspect of the concept that other words didn't, so they picked it up.

There's also wasei-eigo, where they took English words and made a new word to describe a concept, but those words don't (or at least didn't) exist in English. Salaryman is an example that's come back to English, and points to that it's less "English has no word for this," because we definitely did have terms for the concept, but that it captured a particular shade of meaning English speakers recognized and liked havng a specific term for.

EDIT: Here's a fun loan word run for Korean - don-gaseu is pork cutlet, which is a transliteration of tonkatsu from Japanese, which is a partial loan word created by mashing "ton," a reading of the kanji for pork, with "katsu" which is just "cutlet" rendered in katakana and truncated, and of course "cutlet" is a word English adopted from French (côtelette).

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 14, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

zoux posted:

More like "don't have a single word for", but there are a lot, particularly considering how many non-English languages there are.

For instance: "toe." That's "dedo del pie" or "finger of the foot" in Spanish (and similarly in French, I believe).

Or "to dive" (in the sense of the Olympic competition). Something more like "tirarse al agua de cabeza" or "throw yourself into the water headfirst" in Spanish.

Or "procrastination." http://www.slate.com/articles/life/procrastination/2008/05/procrastination_2.html

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

My Imaginary GF posted:

Korea: The First War We Lost by Bevin Alexander would be my recommendation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

zoux posted:

I've met a lot of Europeans who've been completely bamboozled by "drizzle". On the plus side, their confusion only lasts about five minutes, because then it starts to rain and they get to see for themselves what it is.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

ulmont posted:

More like "don't have a single word for", but there are a lot, particularly considering how many non-English languages there are.

For instance: "toe." That's "dedo del pie" or "finger of the foot" in Spanish (and similarly in French, I believe).

Or "to dive" (in the sense of the Olympic competition). Something more like "tirarse al agua de cabeza" or "throw yourself into the water headfirst" in Spanish.

Or "procrastination." http://www.slate.com/articles/life/procrastination/2008/05/procrastination_2.html

Yeah many languages don't differentiate fingers/hand, toes/foot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah many languages don't differentiate fingers/hand, toes/foot.

You see something similar with clothes sometimes. “Gloves” in German is “Handschuhe” which literally comes out as “hand shoes.”

Oddly enough they have a distinct word for socks so I have no idea why they went with hand shoes. Hand socks would make so much more sense.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

You see something similar with clothes sometimes. “Gloves” in German is “Handschuhe” which literally comes out as “hand shoes.”

Oddly enough they have a distinct word for socks so I have no idea why they went with hand shoes. Hand socks would make so much more sense.

Maybe when they came up with the word the stereotypical glove in their mind was made of leather

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

squirrels in german are oak tree croissants

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The examples that come to my mind are that Japanese doesn't distinguish rats/mice or bees/wasps, other than by having names for species thereof.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GotLag posted:

The examples that come to my mind are that Japanese doesn't distinguish rats/mice or bees/wasps, other than by having names for species thereof.

Or the colors green/blue from what I've been told.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Alkydere posted:

Or the colors green/blue from what I've been told.
speaking of
color and language is actually a crazy big field of study.

People have even mapped out the path languages take to develop colors, Going from white/black to red and eventually blue, yellow, purple ect. It's probably why Homer called the sea wine colored.

The issue is a few languages don't even have color adjectives, but rather just use a comparison, i.e. "that dress is bird colored."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

speaking of
color and language is actually a crazy big field of study.

People have even mapped out the path languages take to develop colors, Going from white/black to red and eventually blue, yellow, purple ect. It's probably why Homer called the sea wine colored.

The issue is a few languages don't even have color adjectives, but rather just use a comparison, i.e. "that dress is bird colored."

haha, i'm five minutes into the classic radiolab on this one because his post reminded me

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/211213-sky-isnt-blue/

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Mexican Spanish calls limes "limónes" and lemons "limónes amarillos" (yellow limes) which caused me no end of trouble when I was learning English.

Then I found out large parts of the world actually say lima when theyre talking about limes and I don't know what the gently caress happened there.

E: the Chinese and Japanese didn't differentiate between blue and green until relatively recently, does that count for this linguistic conversation?

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
On the subject of colors and milhist,

quote:

It would appear, from numerous observations, that soldiers are hit during battle according to the color of their dress in the following order: Red is the most fatal color; Austrian gray is the least fatal. The proportions are — red, twelve; rifle green, seven; brown, six; Austrian bluish-gray, five.
— Frank H. Stauffer, The Queer, the Quaint and the Quizzical, 1882