Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I got my doorbell rung last night by a pack of Frenchmen looking for the airbnb next door. I thought it was cute though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
As someone who likes hosting for people.

Most Airbnb hosts are garbage regardless of price point

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
There is a legitimate debate going on about houses that could be used for families being instead leveraged as investments or vacation homes, like the poster above me noted. In addition to that, having people coming in and out of rental homes has been argued to have a detrimental impact to home value, neighborhood peace, and safety. It has some cool upsides too, but it's certainly not uncontested.

I have never stayed in an airbnb because I like hotels and I value some of their amenities, but I'm also convinced there's about a 90% chance that someone is jerkikg it to hidden cams (not to my goon self, ofc)

I just realized that both hotels I've booked in Tokyo are connected to Tokyo station, which is going to be awesome for an easy start to the mornings. Woop!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

Tokyo station... an easy start to the mornings.

Lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Once I got my doorbell rung by a prostitute who I think was supposed to be going to the airbnb next door to my old apartment.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Once I got my doorbell rung by a prostitute who I think was supposed to be going to the airbnb next door to my old apartment.

did you ask her if she had already been paid for

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Is this in japan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I rang your door bell and shared a bed room

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I just realized that both hotels I've booked in Tokyo are connected to Tokyo station, which is going to be awesome for an easy start to the mornings. Woop!

:allears:

Pretty sure there are people still in that station who first entered it years ago. Doomed forever to wander its maze.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

movax posted:

:allears:

Pretty sure there are people still in that station who first entered it years ago. Doomed forever to wander its maze.

you're confused with Shinjuku Station. by comparison, Tokyo Station is dead simple.

(don't ask about the tangle of metro stations surrounding)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

you're confused with Shinjuku Station. by comparison, Tokyo Station is dead simple.

Cape Town South Africa is safe compared to Syria.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle
I feel a bit bummed out about the whole minpaku law situation, even though I do understand where its coming from. Of course my anecdotes aren't data, but I had great hosts for all the places I stayed (Akiba, near Yoyogi Park in a residential area, Dontonburi in Osaka, near Kyoto Station in Kyoto), I really appreciated having an actual deck, laundry, kitchen, bedrooms, sometimes multiple bathrooms, and the prices for hotels at the same times/areas I booked were huge multiples higher for smaller places. Oh well...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

harperdc posted:

Oh, I thought my buddy had said Tokyo Station was hellish compared to...maybe we were talking about Shinagawa, not Shinjuku. Shinagawa is great.

Either way, oops, my bad. :eng99:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

This is wrong. The order of badness is Ikebukuro, Shibuya, Tokyo, Shinjuku.

Ueno and Shinagawa are good.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Harajuku

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tokyo station couldn't be any simpler. 6 exits each side, 3 above ground and 3 below ground. South, central, north. Only path to cross from one side to the other (without going through turnstiles again) is at the North exit.

Yeah the surrounding area has a shitton of underground exits and such but that's not part of JR Tokyo station.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 14, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Harajuku

Harajuku is tiny and overcrowded due to the popularity of the area but it’s in no way confusing.

Stringent posted:

This is wrong. The order of badness is Ikebukuro, Shibuya, Tokyo, Shinjuku.

Ueno and Shinagawa are good.

Lol at shinjuku being at the end of the list

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Harajuku is tiny and overcrowded due to the popularity of the area but it’s in no way confusing.

Lol at shinjuku being at the end of the list

I agree with this. Shibuya is bad, Ikebukuro is low-key up there too, but Shinjuku is a dungeon from the special bowels of hell.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Shinjuku and Shibuya are horrible nightmares if you have a child in a pram and need to change lines. They are bareable if you are leaving the station and want to wait what feels like hours for a lift not clogged with Chinese tourists to get on. But some lines the lifts are via different non linked entrances so you have to leave the station walk around the perimeter and come in another entrance (the station staff all look pretty apologetic). So eventually you just go "gently caress it" and take the pram down the escaltors or barge down the stairs carring it (but bad luck if you can't carry the pram and kid down stairs). But this makes the stations seem pretty easy on your own.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You mean you don't like waiting behind five twenty year old girls to use the elevator?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah, Shinjuku is the most confusing. For Tokyo, just remember that most of the underground food stuff is on the Yaesu side.

Shibuya is pretty bad and somewhat confusing. I used to do xfers on the Yamanote to the Toyoko and that used to be confusing as well. But yeah the crowd can be bad.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Thing about shibuya though is that 99% of the time where you’re going is probably near or easily accessible Hachiko exit.

Shinjuku though is big and spread out and I’ve frequently had to navigate all over it to get where I need because there’s major commercial areas on all sides of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I don't mind Shibuya because the general flow will take you to Hachiko. Ikebukuro is hell.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I like the surprise five flights of stairs you have to climb if you transfer to Fukutoshin Line.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Shinjuku is easy if you just go out the south side or north side and then use the portable real time map, compass, and auto-updating where are you now on the map marker you have with you. Alternatively bring a sextant.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Crossing the station was a pain.

I stayed in keio plaza hotel and it had been a while since I went to tokyo and I kept on getting lost.

I think it was after that time I just settled for Tokyo station and Ginza. Like other hordes of tour groups, I grew up staying in shinjuku for our family vacation. It was cheaper, grimier, and closer to ikkebukuro. So you get a lot more cheap airport buses.

Then I met stringent and picked up running so now I’m around Kanda, kyobashi and run around the moat during the mornings

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What’s hard about ikebukuro? East side, west side, both sides have hubs. Foolproof.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'll be working in Shinjuku soon enough, one of my immediate goals is learning my way around the drat train station. Will post trip report

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

zmcnulty posted:

I'll be working in Shinjuku soon enough, one of my immediate goals is learning my way around the drat train station. Will post trip report

Just don't go out the wrong exit and have to circumnavigate 3 city blocks because the guards get really confused when you try to traverse inside the station.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, getting between the east and west sides without entering the kaisatsuguchi is a bit of a pain.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ikebukuro is just one big square, you can easily get wherever you want, worst case scenario is that you have to go from one corner to the opposite one, but it’s not a confusing walk at all. Not like Shinjuku where is you take the wrong gate and it’s literally impossible to get back inside and get to another entrance. Ended up at the southeast exit but was supposed to be at the west? Good luck!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

caberham posted:

Crossing the station was a pain.

I stayed in keio plaza hotel and it had been a while since I went to tokyo and I kept on getting lost.

I think it was after that time I just settled for Tokyo station and Ginza. Like other hordes of tour groups, I grew up staying in shinjuku for our family vacation. It was cheaper, grimier, and closer to ikkebukuro. So you get a lot more cheap airport buses.

Then I met stringent and picked up running so now I’m around Kanda, kyobashi and run around the moat during the mornings

go to Tokyo Square Garden (plaza connected to kyobashi by the escalators) and get some abura soba at Yamatoten for me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share-listings

Hope no one who had trips planned in the near future gets burnt by this!
Uh, gently caress, I was supposed to spend today finding airbnb's for my trip the first 10 days of August. Am I screwed?

I also have literally nothing planned yet and no idea where I'm going, just have plane tickets. What's the pro travel guide? I'm not a weeb so I know next to nothing about Japan and broke up with my japanese waifu so I'm going it alone now.

Please. I need hel;p

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I think they delisted any non-compliant offers, so what's available is safe.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hostels

airbnbs in japan were always iffy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Uh, gently caress, I was supposed to spend today finding airbnb's for my trip the first 10 days of August. Am I screwed?

I also have literally nothing planned yet and no idea where I'm going, just have plane tickets. What's the pro travel guide? I'm not a weeb so I know next to nothing about Japan and broke up with my japanese waifu so I'm going it alone now.

Please. I need hel;p

Buddy, you're going spend 3 days in Kyoto getting drunk as hell with Australians at the sake bar inside JAM Hostel. There will be a day trip to Nara.
A festival will happen somewhere and you'll put all your bags in a coin locker and do an all-nighter.
There might be a summer typhoon, this would be a good day to faff around Spa World and Kaiyukan aquarium.
The last 4 days will be in Tokyo seeing museums and sky scrapers and shopping. At night you'll re-connect with some drunk Australians for korean bbq and arcade games.

Enjoy!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I was thinking, on the advice of my ex, to go to Tokyo for a couple days, then to Kyoto, then back to Tokyo, then up to Hokkaido, using a rail pass. Her only advice beyond that was "don't go to a soapland." I'm pumped but also the epitome of a Gajin Baka. The last time I went on a big trip I bought travel books and ended up spending a lot of time in tourist spots. I cannot stand that sort of thing, or tours at all really (or anime fwiw.) I want to get a feel for the place for what it is.

I'll probably buckle down and get a hotel at least in Tokyo, the next question is what area in Tokyo is best to stay in for a first timer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I was in Minato for my first trip to Japan, it was pretty good IMO. Easy transit access to get anywhere without crazy transfers.

Granted I was there for a series of government and finance meetings but still thought it was nice. Hibiya Park is gorgeous.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The last time I went on a big trip I bought travel books and ended up spending a lot of time in tourist spots. I cannot stand that sort of thing, or tours at all really (or anime fwiw.) I want to get a feel for the place for what it is.

Lonely Planet guides are pretty good for that sort of thing because, while they do talk about tourist stops, they also deal with places to hang out and things to do that aren't specifically for tourists, like bars and nightclubs, concert venues, neighborhood parks, etc. They also have general information that's useful - the local legal system as it might relate to you, history of the city or region (including recent history up to the time the current edition's been published), different ways to get around, culture and etiquette stuff, how to place a call out of the country, where to get help if there's an emergency, etc. I recommend them.

E: And tips, in no particular order:

-Convenience stores like 7/11, Lawsons, and Family Mart are a good source of cheap prepared meals that are not only edible, but actually pretty good
-Breakfast places are rare, so plan accordingly
-7/11 ATMs let you withdraw money using your bank card; this isn't true of all ATMS IIRC
-Trains are efficient and clean, just avoid rush hour
-Don't feel like you have to eat at "recommended" restaurants all the time, you'll most likely be fine if you pick a place that looks good to you
-Karaoke parlors are not like in the West, you rent a private room by the hour
-If a Nigerian man starts telling you to go to a club or a bar, say "no thank you" and walk away
-If a man in a Buddhist monk robe tries to give you a medallion, don't take it
-Business hotels are good if you want a budget-friendly option and are not comfortable using AirBnB for whatever reason. Rooms are like closets, but amenities and service are good and prices are relatively low. The APA chain puts Japanese nationalist propaganda in their rooms, so you maybe want to avoid them
-Visiting a sento or onsen can be a rewarding experience as long as you're cool with being naked in front of strangers and following rules to keep the bath clean

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For soaplands do Ueno or Asakusa, north of the temple. Avoid anywhere Chinese. Hell with your ex-waifu, it's your ex. Girls have to earn money somehow

Alternatively go to a Hub with aforementioned Australians and find a nurse who isn't working the following day, that's free and she'll come right to your hotel