Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

In Bethesda game fashion, you can open a text file and give yourself infinite lunchboxes in fallout shelter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Kaal posted:

I have never even thought about paying for anything while playing Fallout Shelter. It's certainly a standard time/resource game, but it's a mystery to me how it's profitable. The only reason you would want to is if you're super impatient. You can easily play for an hour or two each day and have plenty to do, especially if you break it up into a few chunks of time rather than all at once. Put it on a tablet and dork around with it whenever you have 20 minutes of free time.

Kids, kids fund those things which I think answers your rational pretty dead on. Every month 20 bucks for 40 lunch boxes and boom...a pipe line.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bethesda started as 1 building, over time they split the 1 building into 3 divisions. Bethesda Game Studios which is development, Bethesda softworks who handle publishing and producing (like for id and machine games) and zenimax which is a holding company. There is tons of crossover in employees between these departments- Bethesda is heavily employee owned. They make the games they want to make, the idea they're an EA or something similar is just way off base.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paulywallywalrus posted:

Kids, kids fund those things which I think answers your rational pretty dead on. Every month 20 bucks for 40 lunch boxes and boom...a pipe line.

And whales.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

honestly zenimax sounds like a pretty decent place to work in comparison to other big name studios

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's a really low loving bar, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The biggest mark against them is the alleged ugly business with Human Head, and supposed similar situation with MachineGames that lead to them acquiring the studio.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There seem to be rumours they tried to acquire Obsidian as well, but then according to Chris Avellone the Obsidian owners have been actively trying to be acquired for years and nobody wants them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2house2fly posted:

There seem to be rumours they tried to acquire Obsidian as well

That sounds more like fan speculation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think it was that Bethesda intentionally did a poor QA job so they wouldn't get the 85 metacritic score and be easier to acquire. It's really dumb.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Keeshhound posted:

I think it was that Bethesda intentionally did a poor QA job so they wouldn't get the 85 metacritic score and be easier to acquire. It's really dumb.

thats some tinfoil right there

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmCqB8ej8Y

Oh cool, the helmet actually lights up and have a voice-changer built-in

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Keeshhound posted:

with their track record if they actually tried that they'd accidentally fix every single bug in NV

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think the big theory was Obsidian was supposed to either get a bonus or a larger share of sale percentages or something of they hit 85 on metacritic, so Bethesda witheld QA resources to keep the score low.

this is dumb for a few reasons, one of which being that a publisher would probably just rather have review well so it sells. the main problem, of course, is assuming game reviews have anything at all to do with how good or a bad a game actually is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Yup, and in fact engineered it to hit just 84 for their ploy to not meaningfully affect sales.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Lol have they seen the QA job Bethesda does on their own games? Funny fact: They didn't really have a staffed QA department to try and break their games until Skyrim.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Vault 84 on Metacritic

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Has anyone said Fallout 76 on metacritic yet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

Then why are they making this game? It’s not like Ark and Rust type games are actually that popular, they are early access poo poo that aren’t mainstream at all.

To make money?

Or do you think the people who approve investments, who in the case of Zenimax come from companies like Trump Management (yes, that Trump), CBS, Global Eagle Acquisition, Wilmorite Properties etc., care about game design?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 14, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao that's not how that works in any sector of the business world my dude.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

All of Obsidian's old games were riddled with bugs. KOTOR 2 - SUPER buggy, Neverwinter Nights 2 - very buggy, Fallout NV - really buggy.

They were all great games after a few patches, but Obsidian's games for a long time were just horrible to play when they first released, to the point that I didn't buy Pillars of Eternity for a couple months after release, even though it ended up being pretty light on bugs.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

To make money?

Or do you think the people who approve investments, who in the case of Zenimax come from companies like Trump Management (yes, that Trump), CBS, Global Eagle Acquisition, Wilmorite Properties etc., care about games?

Yes obviously capitalism is bad and games need to make money. But if Bethesda didn’t have any creative freedom and it was all about the bottom line they would be making a battle royale game with loot boxes and not nerdy rpgs.

I don’t know what Bethesda has done to make people always assume they have the worst possible motivations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao that's not how that works in any sector of the business world my dude.

They obviously have no creative input. But they most certainly had their analysts come up with the benefits of having a stronger online presence.

marktheando posted:

Yes obviously capitalism is bad and games need to make money. But if Bethesda didn’t have any creative freedom and it was all about the bottom line they would be making a battle royale game with loot boxes and not nerdy rpgs.

I don’t know what Bethesda has done to make people always assume they have the worst possible motivations.

It's not just Bethesda, I don't remember the last big Ubisoft game, for example, that didn't feel like a skin wrapped over the same reused structure.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Wrong colour mutants

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yup, and in fact engineered it to hit just 84 for their ploy to not meaningfully affect sales.

What’s funny is the build they sent the QA was worlds less buggy and functional than the version the QA team sent back. That’s why Obsidian was able to release a major patch a week later, they updated the game to the build they sent the QA team; however by then the damage had already been done.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Back Hack posted:

What’s funny is the build they sent the QA was worlds less buggy and functional than the version the QA team sent back. That’s why Obsidian was able to release a major patch a week later, they updated the game to the build they sent the QA team; however by then the damage had already been done.

do you think this is a real thing? that the QA team is the people who decide what version of the game goes to print and they could hand a build to the manufacturers that just said 'suck it nerds' and no one could stop it? this is how people wind up believing the earth is flat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do you think this is a real thing? that the QA team is the people who decide what version of the game goes to print and they could hand a build to the manufacturers that just said 'suck it nerds' and no one could stop it? this is how people wind up believing the earth is flat.

Yeah everyone knows the earth is a concave

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

You think the earth is real?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the current build of the EarthSim is definitely more or less round

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

marktheando posted:

But if Bethesda didn’t have any creative freedom and it was all about the bottom line they would be making a battle royale game with loot boxes creation club

I mean, that's all this sounds like it's gonna turn into so.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
have any of you idiots even played or encountered a battle royale game? is it just something you saw in a headline about multiplayer games that you feel like you should be mad about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've watched a bunch of them on youtube and they all look utterly miserable to play.

I did play dayz when it was the new amazing mod which I would argue is the precursor to the rust-alike and battle royale genres. It is also utterly miserable to play.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Keeshhound posted:

Bethesda intentionally did a poor QA job

Keeshhound posted:

Bethesda ... QA job
:laffo:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I did say it was really dumb.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

have any of you idiots even played or encountered a battle royale game? is it just something you saw in a headline about multiplayer games that you feel like you should be mad about?

Well alls I knows is that the kids on youtube like the fortnite and that means its bad and wrong.

Keli
Dec 30, 2017
looks gay tbh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yardbomb posted:

I mean, that's all this sounds like it's gonna turn into so.

battle royale games are literally deathmatch. You wait in a matchmaking room, round starts, 30 minutes later it's done and you do it again. I don't see how that format has any bearing whatsoever on what they've announced.

The announcements so far couldn't be more blatantly "Conan: Exiles Fallout Edition" if they tried, not sure why people keep dragging fortnite into it other than that game also includes guns and building.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The "Bethesda sabotaged NV's Metacritic so they wouldn't have to pay royalties" fan theory was already debunked by Chris Avellone himself, please stop being dumb goons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

battle royale games are literally deathmatch. You wait in a matchmaking room, round starts, 30 minutes later it's done and you do it again. I don't see how that format has any bearing whatsoever on what they've announced.

Again I make the dayz comparison, which I think was key to popularizing the idea, I think, and is actually a bit of a bridge between the two. it's much slower paced than a battle royale game but has the same pack rat kind of idea, and is still just a deathmatch, the big change is the closing wall but the zombies also act as a sort of hostile environment aspect. But they also made dayz modes with base building, which is much more like the conan/ark/rust style of doing things, and those games also are primarily deathmatch, the pacing is just different.

So I think I will always make a comparison between the two genres, because they share a heritage I think, and many common elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

frajaq posted:

please stop being dumb goons

:angel: