Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zelder posted:

"I'm just pretending to be a neo Nazi online to piss people off" is some next level galaxy brain stuff

Naw I was tagging onto your post and disagreeing with 50s raygun

Why not?

If my express purpose is to make someone mad why wouldn't I?

E: fair enough, but honestly if someone is that mad I'm not gonna suddenly get defensive and be like "I'm not!" Over a video game arguement, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

dogstile posted:

Why not?

If my express purpose is to make someone mad why wouldn't I?

I'm gonna pull back from this conversation and disengage, I feel like we have fundamentally incompatible worldviews here

But in a era where the internet and the real world get less and less separated every day, you really shouldn't tell people you're a neo nazi. That seems obvious

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One of the reasons you kill people on sight in these sort of pvp games is you can't trust they won't do the same to you. Preemptive offense is simply prudent.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My Bethesda conspiracy theory: Bethesda realizes their fanbase is vocal and aggravated by most of their decisions, so they've started harnessing that power by announcing the details of their games in the most triggering way possible for some part of their audience. remember when doom was going to be mp focused full of QTEs? Like they understand where people are going to criticize a project, so they start there with the announcement. Then they reveal more details and people go "ohhh well why didn't you say that in the first place" while people have a very visible argument on Twitter and fb and keep the media blitz on the front page of gaming news sites.

Wolfenstein 2 piggy backed on the fascism in America whirlwind, even though the game barely did anything with that aside from being window dressing but it sure made people talk about it. I'd bet money that in a month the details of 76 will have been clarified, but some will never be happy about it no matter what. It's part of the plan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can we just all admit that Fallout 76 is a Raider simulator?

Stockpile all the drugs and go on a Player-Killing spree, Wanted level be damned; make a game out of it: see how high it gets before you're brought down

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i will never forgive Bethesda for using the power of CHIM to turn Cyrodiil from a jungle into a boring genericnforest.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zelder posted:

I'm gonna pull back from this conversation and disengage, I feel like we have fundamentally incompatible worldviews here

But in a era where the internet and the real world get less and less separated every day, you really shouldn't tell people you're a neo nazi. That seems obvious

I said I'd agree and continue poking the bear, not that I'd open up with it :v:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"I spent 3 hours wandering around the wasteland and refusing to actually do any of the content but I killed that guy once (and can never actually attack him again) I sure showed him"

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I don't care if people are "pretending" to be racist neo-Nazis for the purposes of "trolling," they're still not the type of people I want to interact with, especially during the increasingly-limited time I have to play video games

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is anyone excited to run around the wasteland with friends? I'm so excited to run around the wasteland with friends.

Nope, no one else is excited to run around the wasteland with friends. And guess what? God hates you, specifically because you're excited to run around the wasteland with friends :twisted:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

My Bethesda conspiracy theory: Bethesda realizes their fanbase is vocal and aggravated by most of their decisions, so they've started harnessing that power by announcing the details of their games in the most triggering way possible for some part of their audience. remember when doom was going to be mp focused full of QTEs? Like they understand where people are going to criticize a project, so they start there with the announcement. Then they reveal more details and people go "ohhh well why didn't you say that in the first place" while people have a very visible argument on Twitter and fb and keep the media blitz on the front page.

Wolfenstein 2 piggy backed on the fascism in America whirlwind, even though the game barely did anything with that aside from being window dressing but it sure made people talk about it. I'd bet money that in a month the details of 76 will have been clarified, but some will never be happy about it no matter what. It's part of the plan.

With the amount nonsense that's been espoused in this thread, I'm not sure how serious you are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Garrand posted:

(and can never actually attack him again)

Wonder how that'll work

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What I really don't get is the people being hype as loudly as possible. I thought we all learned this lesson back in the early 2000s; even if you like what you're seeing, don't get hype because you'll just be disappointed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dogstile posted:

I said I'd agree and continue poking the bear, not that I'd open up with it :v:

That's the thing though, in this hypothetical situation people don't open with "I hate racists are you one", the entire thing usually starts because of some shithead making a racist remark, racist name, whatever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yardbomb posted:

That's the thing though, in this hypothetical situation people don't open with "I hate racists are you one", the entire thing usually starts because of some shithead making a racist remark, racist name, whatever.

Not in my experience man

I can gently caress with people by saying "I like trump" and get called a Nazi

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

What I really don't get is the people being hype as loudly as possible. I thought we all learned this lesson back in the early 2000s; even if you like what you're seeing, don't get hype because you'll just be disappointed.

It goes further than hype, what we have in this thread is people stomping their feet and :qq: -ing because there are apparently some people who have the audacity to not automatically love every single game that comes out. Hell, mere skepticism about this game with the caveat of "it might be fun, i dunno" is causing people to freak the gently caress out

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

what if theres like a police power armor and you have a little siren on top of the helmet that spins and lights up whenever youre shooting things

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

With the amount nonsense that's been espoused in this thread, I'm not sure how serious you are.

controversy as a marketing strategy

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sheen Sheen posted:

It goes further than hype, what we have in this thread is people stomping their feet and :qq: -ing because there are apparently some people who have the audacity to not automatically love every single game that comes out. Hell, mere skepticism about this game with the caveat of "it might be fun, i dunno" is causing people to freak the gently caress out

wait are you not the one stomping your feet and :qq:ing in this scenario?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

mothman comes flying over the horizon and then my power armor is all just like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrAYxWPN6c

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have yet to see anyone in this thread who is what I would describe as "hyped" about this game. The response is either tepid excitement for a new fallout brand game or people who think this is literally the end of single player Fallout and from now on it's just gonna be Battle Royale games.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

For anyone who dropped $200 to preorder the helmet edition of the game (before it sold out 11 hours after the E3 announcement) here's your new toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYmCqB8ej8Y

Popete posted:

I have yet to see anyone in this thread who is what I would describe as "hyped" about this game. The response is either tepid excitement for a new fallout brand game or people who think this is literally the end of single player Fallout and from now on it's just gonna be Battle Royale games.

For what it's worth, I didn't preorder nor will I. But I might pick up this game (soon) after launch if things sound good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's a marketing strategy, not the foundation of your design document

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Otacon posted:

For anyone who dropped $200 to preorder the helmet edition of the game (before it sold out 11 hours after the E3 announcement) here's your new toy:

For what it's worth, I didn't preorder nor will I. But I might pick up this game (soon) after launch if things sound good.

the pc $200 preorder with the helmet version sold out a couple hours after the announcement lol

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Popete posted:

Bro I am so pumped for this game I literally am making GBS threads myself all day everyday till it comes out. I can't wait to pump newbs full of lead and lasers and then blow up their 12 year old inspired titty shacks and dong castles. I can't wait to spend money on this and ruin the few imaginary friendships I entertain I am in with coworkers.

I have literally decided to have no critical view of this game because I am completely lacking anything close to brains and I think with my butt or something.

:dukedoge:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

wait are you not the one stomping your feet and :qq:ing in this scenario?

No, I've just been trying to have an actual discussion about why I'm not excited for Fallout 76 with people like you who are either unwilling or unable to respond in kind. I know, it's my fault for mistaking you and others like you for a rational adult rather than a dipshit who just wants to make snarky one-liners and get all butt hurt about people being big meanies to the video game that you haven't played but have for some bizarre reason pledged your undying love for

Like, I can't possibly see how someone with an ounce of intelligence or reading comprehension could read my posts in he last few pages and think I'm :qq: -ing about this game rather than being rational about it, but again--it's my fault for trying to treat idiots like they're mature adults

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

mothman comes flying over the horizon and then my power armor is all just like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrAYxWPN6c

Extended flight jetpacks would be cool. There's a lot of room for new PA gadgets and mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Otacon posted:

By the time I'm 90 and we're on fallout 26 or something I might be able to collect an entire suit of power armour and a pipboy if I had a million pounds.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's a marketing strategy, not the foundation of your design document

We don't really know anything concrete about how the game works, only the ways in which it's strikingly different from other games of theirs. If you don't think it's part of the plan that the audience runs around the internet screaming right now, I dunno man. They seem to purposely be keeping details about plot and quests and how you interact with other players vague. Either they have no clue what they are doing as a developer despite 25+ years of developing games or they don't want you to know how it works yet. It's not that hard to fathom that the things they are announcing right now are calculated to stir controversy. The details on the game are so, so minor. Look at the theories in this thread or elsewhere to see how effective this strategy is.

Of course I'm basing this on very little other than it being a winning formula for everyone from Kanye West to the President. The goal is social media interaction and visibility.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Popete posted:

Is anyone excited to run around the wasteland with friends? I'm so excited to run around the wasteland with friends. I hope we run into some other people and fight them, I don't even care if we lose. I bet a deathclaw spawns in the middle of the fight and we have to band together to kill it and then we go back to killing each other. This game is going to be awesome

I guess we just have different versions of hype.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

I guess we just have different versions of hype.

I'm hyped to play fallout with friends!:parrot:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sheen Sheen posted:

No, I've just been trying to have an actual discussion about why I'm not excited for Fallout 76 with people like you who are either unwilling or unable to respond in kind. I know, it's my fault for mistaking you and others like you for a rational adult rather than a dipshit who just wants to make snarky one-liners and get all butt hurt about people being big meanies to the video game that you haven't played but have for some bizarre reason pledged your undying love for

Like, I can't possibly see how someone with an ounce of intelligence or reading comprehension could read my posts in he last few pages and think I'm :qq: -ing about this game rather than being rational about it, but again--it's my fault for trying to treat idiots like they're mature adults

What is there to discuss? You don't like the unreleased game based off of some vague interviews and press releases and you've made that clear repeatedly. We get it - you've made your point.

Anyway, here's another new Todd Howard interview. Fallout "discussion" ends around 9 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHmPb5nQHbU

TL;DW review:

quote:

2:52 - More information about how it will compare to fo3 and fo4 experience
4:25 - Todd basically says that he understands our anxiety regarding MP and they have kept that in mind during development.
4:45 and 5:18 - There's a story, there's a main quest line, there are side quests with some repeatable, and there are daily events.
6:05 - at death "you pick a place to respawn", "there's no loss of items"
6:20 - Nuking isn't permanent. Also, you have a chance to GTFO of the area before the bomb lands and goes off. Everything is damaged and can be repaired. Main point is to create a high level PvE zone.
7:15 - stuff about camp building starts
7:50 - when you log off, your camp dissappears and when you come back it reappears. You can also move it. Blueprints!!!

14:50 - An evasive and uncertain answer to the question "what does "next gen" mean when you talk about TES6 and starfield".

16:05 - Current lineup is 76, then starfield, then TES6. No other major releases in between.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I'm hyped to play fallout with friends!

I'm glad for you, dude. I hope you're not disappointed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose maybe this might be interesting in a GTAV kind of way though if that game's playerbase is anything go by it's going to be much more palatable offline.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

TL;DW review:
16:05 - Current lineup is 76, then starfield, then TES6. No other major releases in between.

Confirmed, no Fallout 5. The future of Fallout franchise is 76.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rinkles posted:

Extended flight jetpacks would be cool. There's a lot of room for new PA gadgets and mods.

ground jetpacks that let my power armor dash forward/side to side

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

With requisite roller blades

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've been getting a little more interested after the various interviews and footage. Probably going to pick it up once private servers and mods come out.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I've been getting a little more interested after the various interviews and footage. Probably going to pick it up once private servers and mods come out.

I agree save for mods. I am not sure I want to alter anything but I am pumped about "dungeons" and exploring with people. Base building will be pretty rad too. Maybe if the mod fixed a broken issue but then everyone has to be on the same mod set so meh but maybe.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do you think this is a real thing? that the QA team is the people who decide what version of the game goes to print and they could hand a build to the manufacturers that just said 'suck it nerds' and no one could stop it? this is how people wind up believing the earth is flat.

Don't be obtuse, this isn't some some grand conspiracy to trick Obsidian out of money, it's that the publication of NV speaks volumes of Bethesda's confidence as developers to follow through on things. It's especially not hard to see that given Bethesda's current buggy track record for literally all the games they release. They're QA team sucks, always have, always will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You don't lose items on death and you can't loot dead bodies. You just get a few caps and experience.

What is the motivation to kill anyone, again?