Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

phantic will be out of a job if tesla is ever able to automate dicksucking. I look forward to the TY for firing me tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mozi posted:

i was taught to not drive over things like a cardboard box in the road because you don't always know if there might be something under it

so even if a human was driving and aware that what was in front of them was a car-sized balloon, i doubt the best course of action was to just plow into it regardless

A cardboard box is opaque, so to your eyes there might be something inside it.

A balloon is not opaque to ultrasound. A car is.

Would you drive through a pile of leaves being blown across the road, or a wave of water being thrown up by a car coming the other way driving through a puddle, or would you slam on your brakes or suddenly swerve? You'd drive through the leaves because you can tell they're not a big solid object that will cause any damage and that just maintaining speed and course is safer than doing literally anything else. That is a decision autopilots will also need to know how to make if they're going to be any good at all; they will need to know the difference between "this thing in the road doesn't warrant taking action for" and "oh poo poo there's something in the road."

Concluding that "since the Tesla plowed into a big car-sized balloon it would have done the same thing in a situation where you replaced the balloon with a car" is unsupported by the video. That's my point. It's a lovely test. It's not a meaningful video. It says nothing about a Tesla operating in real-world conditions.

This does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ml6sjk_8c

I am not defending Tesla's autopilot. I am attacking the dumb video with a lovely test.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You do realize that all you're proving with this line of argument is that computer vision and sensor integration is an extraordinarily complicated problem that we're nowhere near being able to solve to the degree necessary to put our lives in its hands, right?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phanatic posted:

It didn't stop for a balloon, not a car. If they had used a big soap bubble instead of a balloon, would anyone think that test showed anything about anything? No. So why's a balloon any more meaningful a test than a soap bubble?

It stopped late for the car, stopping within the envelope of where the car was, it didn't hit it full speed.

The Tesla algorithm probably doesn't leave a full stopping distance in front of the car, because no one does that on the road, and Tesla cars would become a nuisance. It does mean that if the car in front evades instead of braking, you'll get an accident.

For a car traveling 65 mph, the standard braking distance used in the AASHTO Policy on Geometric Design of Highways, using deceleration of 11.2 ft/s2 (again what AASHTO uses for humans), it would take 405 feet to come to a stop. That means that you'd get about 13 cars per mile, for a throughput of 845 veh/hr/lane, well under the maximum capacity of 1900 veh/hr/lane for human drivers that engineers use now. If you add in some reaction breaking time (say, half a second - we use 2.5s for humans), that goes up to 450 feet of distance, and you're down to 760 veh/hr/lane.

Any solution that doesn't rob the roadway of capacity is going to require automated vehicles to be traveling in platoons, communicating with each other, and relying on the car in front to spot stopped vehicles/dangers so that cars behind can take reasonable measures to avoid accidents.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

haveblue posted:

You do realize that all you're proving with this line of argument is that computer vision and sensor integration is an extraordinarily complicated problem that we're nowhere near being able to solve to the degree necessary to put our lives in its hands, right?

I'm not sure where you think I've ever argued otherwise.

Was it earlier in the thread where people were saying that the LIDAR on the uber car might not have seen the guy on the bike and I was pointing out that, no, LIDAR would definitely been capable of seeing him and therefore something really hosed up was going on with the autopilot and it was really unsafe? In that entire discussion I was pointing out that it's a hard problem, autonomous vehicles aren't even close to being able to handle routine driving conditions, and that I'm really skeptical of them in general, and then I posted the video of a Tesla barreling into a traffic barrier.

I'll never not be amazed at the ability of goons to interpret a statement as the literal opposite of what it says. "I'm skeptical of autonomous vehicles," a thing I actually said, turns into "tesla dicksucking."

Devor posted:

If you add in some reaction breaking time (say, half a second - we use 2.5s for humans), that goes up to 450 feet of distance, and you're down to 760 veh/hr/lane.

Thinking you mean .25s here?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 14, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i appreciate that the tesla recommendation is that drivers need to be paying attention to the road and ready to intervene in an emergency to avoid a collision

if i'm being that vigilant and aware of my surroundings while i'm driving what the gently caress do i need self driving for then

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

I'm not sure where you think I've ever argued otherwise.

Probably the place where you were arguing that crashing into an object that closely resembled a car in every significant way except density was a poorly designed test and not a failure of the mechanism being tested.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Phanatic has an uncanny ability to convince everyone that whatever side of an argument he's arguing for is wrong. Regardless of the topic. And I don't think it's like a deliberate concern trolling thing.

But somehow that's not because he's terrible at having a discussion, it's because every other goon gets it wrong.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

haveblue posted:

Probably the place where you were arguing that crashing into an object that closely resembled a car in every significant way except density was a poorly designed test and not a failure of the mechanism being tested.

It doesn't closely resemble a car in every significant way. It cosmetically resembles a car. That's not going to closely resemble a car to a whole bunch of sensor technologies, including ultrasound. Which is why it's not a good test of what it purports to be testing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

It didn't stop for a balloon, not a car. If they had used a big soap bubble instead of a balloon, would anyone think that test showed anything about anything? No. So why's a balloon any more meaningful a test than a soap bubble?

lmao

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It doesn't closely resemble a car in every significant way. It cosmetically resembles a car. That's not going to closely resemble a car to a whole bunch of sensor technologies, including ultrasound. Which is why it's not a good test of what it purports to be testing.

so a tesla is by design a murder machine at a parade. good to know

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

Agreed. The sensors, however, are ultrasound, which can (in principle, I'm not making an assertion about the particular sensors on the Model 3) tell the difference between solid and hollow objects. In this case, one of three things happened:

1. The ultrasound sensors did not detect a return from an object that, while clearly a visual obstruction, presented no actual danger upon impact to the car or its inhabitants. If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car didn't see and...no injury or damage would have resulted.
2. The ultrasound sensors registered a return from the object and the control software decided that impacting the object was the safer alternative, the one least likely to cause any damage or injury. You don't panic-stop on a highway and possibly cause a crash because an empty garbage bag blows across the road (and that's a situation in which a human driver *can* recognize that and decide that hitting the empty garbage bag is the right thing to do, so if that's the standard Tesla's supposed to be aiming for the car needs to be able to make that judgement) If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car did see, and no injury or damage would have resulted.
3. The whole system broke and if this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a stopped car at high speed.

The video in no way provides sufficient information to distinguish between the three situations. All of them are compatible with what is shown. It is a dumb
video.

Is a car a solid or a hollow object? What kind of ultrasonic sensors can distinguish hollow and solid objects from a distance?

Are you, in fact, talking out of your arse?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

so a tesla is by design a murder machine at a parade. good to know

elon musk and his engineers on the tesla test track, january 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO9rJtNtmqc&t=74s

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phanatic posted:

It doesn't have to? It's an obstacle in the road that the car should be able to react to. Regardless of what it is or what it is made of.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

THEN WHY DIDN'T IT MOVE INTO THE EMPTY LANE ON THE RIGHT YOU DOORKNOB

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

Then the sensors are inappropriate for this application and this is a failure of Tesla's. There is no way to argue this into Tesla being in the right. The car violated the rules of the road and the principles of basic safety and "its perception is too different from humans to make the same decisions" is a hilariously poor excuse for it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 14, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the teslabrain thought it was totally ok to drive straight into a balloon the size of the car itself jeez you guys it would've remained in full control the entire time after that and continued to the destination regardless of having the entire windshield enveloped in mylar it uses ultrasound to see what's the big deal

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Though it does bear the question of what technology would be required to keep a car from freaking out and screeching to a halt for a pile of leaves or a plastic bag blowing in the wind.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Probably radar, like the Model S in the video has used since 2014.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe the people testing this aren't complete morons and made sure the inflatable balloon car was aluminised, i.e. reflective to radar.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 14, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phanatic posted:

That's not going to closely resemble a car to a whole bunch of sensor technologies, including ultrasound.

Former ultrasonic test technician here popping in to let you know you're 100% wrong about this and apparently have no clue how sound works and based on how wrong you are here you're probably also wrong about everything else in this dumb armchair assessment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Though it does bear the question of what technology would be required to keep a car from freaking out and screeching to a halt for a pile of leaves or a plastic bag blowing in the wind.

the same technology we have now but with another few years of tweaking and refinement

tesla and uber are both desperate to reach market first because they might go out of business if they don't get something big, soon

the normal car manufacturers as well as waymo aka alphabet aka google are all healthy, functioning businesses so they're not nearly as reckless to push shoddy product

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

THEN WHY DIDN'T IT MOVE INTO THE EMPTY LANE ON THE RIGHT YOU DOORKNOB

Uh, air is less dense than balloons, so driving into the balloon car was actually the safest course of action.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

"It detected this object and can tell this is not as solid as a car therefore it is okay to crash into it" is not a good defense of Tesla in the context of that video, imo. On the contrary, I'd be alarmed if that were a judgement they were attempting.

I also don't think that's what happened here at all. Don't Teslas also have a camera sensor anyway?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Devor posted:

For a car traveling 65 mph, the standard braking distance used in the AASHTO Policy on Geometric Design of Highways, using deceleration of 11.2 ft/s2 (again what AASHTO uses for humans), it would take 405 feet to come to a stop.

You realize that a car can decelerate at a much higher rate that 11.2 ft/s^2, and an emergency stop doesn't have to follow asshto guidlines, right?

Good tires on dry pavement will do around a full g, which gives a stopping distance of more like 100ft excluding the reaction time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Former ultrasonic test technician here popping in to let you know you're 100% wrong about this and apparently have no clue how sound works and based on how wrong you are here you're probably also wrong about everything else in this dumb armchair assessment.

Acoustic waves reflect from impedance mismatches, same as EM waves. When passing from one medium to another, if the characteristic impedance changes from one medium to another, there's a mismatch that results in a reflection, the nature and strength of which is different based on the impedance ratio.

Polyurethane and polyethylene rubbers can be made that are so absorbtive to ultrasound that they are used to build anechoic ultrasound materials, or so transparent to ultrasound that they're used as ultrasonic probe covers or windows for ultrasonic emitters. They're also commonly used in balloons.

https://www.acoustics.co.uk/product/aptflex-f28/

But a rubber balloon's going to look the same to ultrasound as a steel car body. Gotcha.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Boy, that "See you in 10 pages" guy was dead on, huh?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What sensors does the Tesla in that test have?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Phanatic posted:

But a rubber balloon's going to look the same to ultrasound as a steel car body. Gotcha.

What do the empty lanes to either side of that balloon look like to ultrasound?

How the gently caress do you justify running into *anything* when there is nothing around on either side of the object? Because swerving is too dangerous? Looks like the first car managed it just fine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

What sensors does the Tesla in that test have?

A forward-looking radar, 12 ultrasonics pointing in all directions in the plane, 3 (I think) cameras pointing forward with varying FOVs, and a rear camera.

According to page I'm looking at, the ultrasonics are only for close-range stuff, 8 meters. Radar is for out to 160 meters.

Tochiazuma posted:

What do the empty lanes to either side of that balloon look like to ultrasound?

How the gently caress do you justify running into *anything* when there is nothing around on either side of the object?

Very possibly. My supposition here is that the big empty rubber bag showed up on the cameras, but not on the radar or the ultrasound, and a visual return combined with a lack of radar return is interpreted to be not a substantial object. Because it wasn't a substantial object. A big rubber balloon is more substantial than most innocuous road debris, I admit, but I think the assumption that you won't see many big rubber balloons on the road is probably a valid one.

quote:

Because swerving is too dangerous?

More likely because an autopilot that swerves its rider into another lane because it can't tell the difference between a small boulder and an empty grocery bag would not endear itself to its owners. Do you swerve to avoid stuff like that?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 14, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

boner confessor posted:

i appreciate that the tesla recommendation is that drivers need to be paying attention to the road and ready to intervene in an emergency to avoid a collision

if i'm being that vigilant and aware of my surroundings while i'm driving what the gently caress do i need self driving for then

:same:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This derail sucks and gently caress anyone who participated in it.

schmug
May 20, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

see you guys in ten pages

has it been ten pages yet? Probably drat close. gently caress, some of you are insufferable.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Very possibly. My supposition here is that the big empty rubber bag showed up on the cameras, but not on the radar or the ultrasound, and a visual return combined with a lack of radar return is interpreted to be not a substantial object. Because it wasn't a substantial object. A big rubber balloon is more substantial than most innocuous road debris, I admit, but I think the assumption that you won't see many big rubber balloons on the road is probably a valid one.

More likely because an autopilot that swerves its rider into another lane because it can't tell the difference between a small boulder and an empty grocery bag would not endear itself to its owners. Do you swerve to avoid stuff like that?

First, according to this Tesla website (https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/autopilot) the ultrasonics aren't pointing forwards and have a range of 8m so having them not register the object directly in front is not surprising, since that's not what they are there for.

Whether or not I swerve to avoid grocery bags, small rocks or any other small object is immaterial since I *would* swerve into a completely open lane to avoid a giant balloon or other large object directly in my path when I drive. You're trying to argue that due to some sort of advanced sensor this car is able to tell it is about to hit a large balloon but not whether the lanes on either side are clear, so that running into a car-sized balloon is somehow better than avoiding it.

Which is loving stupid.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
put rubber baby buggy bumpers on the tesla who the gently caress needs to stop if you can just bounce off

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I'd go even further and say that if you're not driving you *can't* be as vigilant and aware of your surroundings as if you are driving. Not for any great length of time, anyway. Without the need to constantly be observing and reacting to the dynamic environment you're in, you're eventually going to get lost in your own head. Heck, people do that now even when they are driving, like when they're on a well-known route under standard conditions like a daily commute.

"Our autopilot still needs you to pay attention" is a cop-out corporate bullshit excuse for a lovely autopilot. And the "oh poo poo, we're hosed unless you, the driver, do something alarm" happens way too late for the typical driver to do anything with that time interval.

Tochiazuma posted:

First, according to this Tesla website (https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/autopilot) the ultrasonics aren't pointing forwards and have a range of 8m so having them not register the object directly in front is not surprising, since that's not what they are there for.

According to that website they're pointing in all directions; if you look at the color-coded diagram the ultrasound-colored region surrounds the entire car.

quote:

Whether or not I swerve to avoid grocery bags, small rocks or any other small object is immaterial since I *would* swerve into a completely open lane to avoid a giant balloon or other large object directly in my path when I drive. You're trying to argue that due to some sort of advanced sensor this car is able to tell it is about to hit a large balloon but not whether the lanes on either side are clear, so that running into a car-sized balloon is somehow better than avoiding it.

Which is loving stupid.

No, I'm arguing that the system can tell the difference between "grocery bag" and "rock the same size as a grocery bag" and that the software-based heuristic that an object giving a visual return but showing no radar return is an obstacle that does not demand a sudden evasive maneuver is a much safer assumption on a real road because on a real road giant balloons are only found very very rarely. I guarantee you can come up with an artificial scenario that violates the understanding that went into developing the software and would flummox any autopilot (or software system in general), but that the system was not designed with that artificial scenario in place does not make it loving stupid.

It's *possible* that it's loving stupid. Like, if it were the same thing as the Uber fatality:

1. The Uber car detected an obstacle and even classified it as a bicycle(!)
2. Determined that emergency braking was required
3. Couldn't emergency brake under computer control
4. Had no provision to alert the driver that emergency braking was necessary (also !)

*That* would be loving stupid. And it's entirely possible that that's what happened as well, and if Tesla's software worked the same way, yes, loving stupid. But the video doesn't go into any kind of detail, it just shows an edited sequence of the car striking the balloon.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 14, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

moist turtleneck posted:

put rubber baby buggy bumpers on the tesla who the gently caress needs to stop if you can just bounce off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlyEIaRw010

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
if the autopilot has an airframe parachute does that mean it orders its steak well done

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

only if the airframe is circumcised

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

"A jaywalker simply can't be run over...and sometimes, that's more than he deserves."

Harsh, but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Threading title still holding up.