Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

WRT the Olive Garden Robot

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1007061610005794817

An interesting thread that points out things neural networks get wrong, and goes somewhat into how the Botnik keyboard produces stuff like that, but not exactly that.

Thanks for explaining the "joke" Janelle. I bet shes a riot at a comedy club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its like funny dialogue prints, it became like a joke format, but the content is completely made up 99% of the times

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SpacePig posted:

WRT the Olive Garden Robot

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1007061610005794817

An interesting thread that points out things neural networks get wrong, and goes somewhat into how the Botnik keyboard produces stuff like that, but not exactly that.

Even when they aren't just completely written by a person there's also the issue where a person goes through and cherry picks the funny lines.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I was just thinking to myself that most of these are probably fake cause if you are someone trying to be funny on Twitter, why not write an 'AI trained script' and post it online. Best case is that you get noticed for something funny and worst case you can write off your bad writing as 'lol ai just isn't there yet i guess'.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To be fair, it's still written by a neural net, just a much more complex organic one.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Like some sort of Positronic brain?

gently caress you, Chrome; it is so a word.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I thought the idea was to pick the best and tidy up the grammar. Saying they're fake is like saying those cool nasa space photos are fake because they're taken in "false color"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hot take: All jokes are fake.

Except knock knock ones those are real as gently caress.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
e: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Some of the best jokes I've ever heard came from kids just learning how knock knock jokes work.

Ak Gara posted:

I thought the idea was to pick the best and tidy up the grammar. Saying they're fake is like saying those cool nasa space photos are fake because they're taken in "false color"

In the thread, she actually goes into how most examples are picked from a list of random poo poo, how genuine neural net stuff gets lost pretty easily and forgets its grammar, and most of the story stuff you see is created by Botnik predictive text keyboards that take purposeful human input. The point she's making is that it's too clean to even be cherry picked from or cleaned up, because it doesn't meander and forget syntax.

You can also see that the guy has done it before, and it might even be a gimmick of his for his comedy twitter account.
https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/969314601669193728
https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1006244403562893312
https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1004115184108044289

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who cares who wrote them, it's funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A lot of people apparently hate fun ITT

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

Who cares who wrote them, it's funny.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

We need to feed them all of the forums and create the ultimate poster!

granted

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1007321956436316160

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Jokes aren't funny if some guy just made them up.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It is funny, I'll admit, but it's like those people who post about how their kid said something really poignant about the meaning of life while they were in the checkout line. Just say you wrote a funny olive garden thing and stand by your work.<:mad:>

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

There are only 8 Saw movies, where did the other 980 hours of Saw movies come from?

checkmate :smugdog:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of people apparently hate fun ITT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The problem is, without the conceit of it being written by an AI, most of those aren't really all that funny. There's a few good bits here and there but if it's not done by an entity making an honest attempt and then just failing miserably it's just some dude writing a bunch of monkey cheese.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Garrand posted:

The problem is, without the conceit of it being written by an AI, most of those aren't really all that funny. There's a few good bits here and there but if it's not done by an entity making an honest attempt and then just failing miserably it's just some dude writing a bunch of monkey cheese.

over a decade ago, monkey-cheese was funny for about 5 minutes..

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edit: https://jalopnik.com/pro-tip-dont-stick-your-head-in-a-tailpipe-1826794613

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bananana posted:

over a decade ago, monkey-cheese was funny for about 5 minutes..

Bite me, that was a pretty accurate portrayal of the Olive Garden, except that I actually want Pasta Nachos to exist

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

A girl told me once she liked the feeling of someone peeing in her

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SpacePig posted:

It is funny, I'll admit, but it's like those people who post about how their kid said something really poignant about the meaning of life while they were in the checkout line. Just say you wrote a funny olive garden thing and stand by your work.<:mad:>

Garrand posted:

Yeah this

lol at the people annoyed about the curtain being pulled back and acting like the people pointing this out somehow hate fun

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Iron Crowned posted:

Bite me, that was a pretty accurate portrayal of the Olive Garden, except that I actually want Pasta Nachos to exist

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/news/companies/olive-garden-nachos/index.html

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SpacePig posted:

Its funniest in relief of the actual neural net based jokes because you can say anything on the internet and explain it was really something else saying it. There was also a while there people were making jokes about their kids saying really profound things. I'd also relate it to quote misattribution jokes too.

I'm loving dying that a neural net "expert" did a "well actually (1/12)"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's some actors who actually made a short film with a neural net trained on tons of sci-fi and filmed the resulting mess the best that they could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc

If you pause the video to read the script at the beginning, the apparent dream sequence is because the script spat out actions that were completely impossible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Janelle Shane's twitter explanation, like Neil Tyson's twitter explanations, are necessary and important because there's a vast swath of the internet that's wide-eyed and credulous and treats pretty much anything more complicated than a toaster as loving witchcraft. If you already knew what they're explaining then you're not the target audience because you understand that this poo poo isn't just sorcerers casting spells or gods shoving sparkly lights around.

Stop mocking the people who are trying to make the internet a more comprehensible and knowledge-driven place and post funny pictures.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bombadilillo posted:

Millennials need to share things while explaining the joke still intact.

Because olds are dumb as hell and don't "get" anything that came out after the Nixon era

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Janelle Shane's twitter explanation, like Neil Tyson's twitter explanations, are necessary and important because there's a vast swath of the internet that's wide-eyed and credulous and treats pretty much anything more complicated than a toaster as loving witchcraft. If you already knew what they're explaining then you're not the target audience because you understand that this poo poo isn't just sorcerers casting spells or gods shoving sparkly lights around.

Stop mocking the people who are trying to make the internet a more comprehensible and knowledge-driven place and post funny pictures.

Ok now see this is how you write a good joke!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MarcusSA posted:

Ok now see this is how you write a good joke!

Much like your mom.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1007376361101582336

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/1007061548710400006

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pizza, pizza never changes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Who is this?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

xtal posted:

Who is this?

Hillary Clinton, she's a minor US politician of some sort

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Silenced hand grenade is one of my all-time favourites.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I forced a bot to watch 9211 hours of unique honey commercials then asked it to write a honey commercial of its own. Here is the first page.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I forced a bot

and I liked it

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

So quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I would like to explain to the bots that k-lined me from efnet that the forcing was consensual