Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

You don't lose items on death and you can't loot dead bodies. You just get a few caps and experience.

What is the motivation to kill anyone, again?

Mental retardation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

You don't lose items on death and you can't loot dead bodies. You just get a few caps and experience.

chitoryu12 posted:

You just get a few caps and experience.

:confused:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this game is meant to be primarily be a PvE game with your friends.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Otacon posted:

What is there to discuss? You don't like the unreleased game based off of some vague interviews and press releases and you've made that clear repeatedly. We get it - you've made your point.

Clearly you don't get it--if you had read my posts at all you would know that I'm skeptical of the game based on things that the developers have said (multiplayer focus, lovely Minecraft focus)

Perhaps I can make the point in the thread a few more times as to make it clearer for you, if that's alright with you

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

There has to be some kind of system to reward that stuff. I don't think we know enough yet? :iiam:. Also caps and experience are good rewards. Better than cans of Blamo Beans or Cram or whatever

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Clearly you don't get it--if you had read my posts at all you would know that I'm skeptical of the game based on things that the developers have said (multiplayer focus, lovely Minecraft focus)

Perhaps I can make the point in the thread a few more times as to make it clearer for you, if that's alright with you

The point of killing other players in FO76 will be making sheen sheen rage post about it on the something awful forums

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Grief. Grief never changes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

please do not kill your posting compatriots

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

chitoryu12 posted:

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

please do not kill your posting compatriots
what if the only way to get the bionicle armor

is to kill you're friends

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Guy in the gameplay got his arm shot off before being finished off. Wonder if you can lose limbs non fatally, or if the player was effectively dead (despite having some HP)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

You have to find and loot your arm and keep it on you until you can re-attach it with a doctor's bag.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Your Computer posted:

it was either you or me then, joe

nothin personal kid

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Your Computer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OPxfjS3.gifv

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That musket pistol was cool. Considering the vault is a tribute to the anniversary of the United States I'm excited to see what that means for weapons and the story.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

That musket pistol was cool.

It was certainly very BethFallout (Beffallout?)

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
i can and will nuke any and all degenerates i find. may nuclear hell fire purge the land.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

iamthehans posted:

i can and will nuke any and all degenerates i find. may nuclear hell fire purge the land.
man i know jorts wearers are the worst but isn't that a little extreme

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Nuke the exit of fallout 76 literally every time a new player walks out

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Nuke the exit of fallout 76 literally every time a new player walks out

That is the gooning that first brought me to this whole drat site.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paulywallywalrus posted:

S A M E

Make Goons Grief Again

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paulywallywalrus posted:

if you want to join the SA clan and not get nuked go post an introduction thread in fyad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so how many of us are gonna beeline for the Toxic Valley to build a fort named after this thread

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Your Computer posted:

so how many of us are gonna beeline for the Toxic Valley to build a fort named after this thread

I'm gonna guess zero. Zero people are going to do that.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

if you want to join the SA clan and not get nuked go post an introduction thread in fyad

I feel like this could be a slick trap. Gonna take my power armor just to be safe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The nukes just turn on hard mode in predetermined areas, so sadly you can't just go full lonesome road on the vault exit

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paulywallywalrus posted:

There has to be some kind of system to reward that stuff. I don't think we know enough yet? :iiam:. Also caps and experience are good rewards. Better than cans of Blamo Beans or Cram or whatever

It looks like the rewards for killing players are pretty small, not really enough to justify bothering (especially since supposedly that player can then block you from killing them again forever).

My big problem is that it seems like a lot of the gameplay mechanics counter one another. The gameplay shows off the sudden threat of another player attacking you and you can always see all players on your map so hunting people down would be really easy, but the rewards are small and the player can stop you from attacking them after your first kill so there's not a ton of motivation to kill people you run across apart from griefing. They say no server wipes, but they want you to be able to nuke areas to create endgame content and the nuked areas reset after a while to keep the game from quickly becoming unplayable. You can build anywhere, but it's just a portable camp that disappears when you log off so there's no meaningful way to change the environment on your server. They want player trading and buddying up and conflict like an MMO, but with such a small player count on such a large map that people are too spread out to run into each other unless they seek each other out.

None of the gameplay elements seem like they belong together. People have said before that the reason Fallout 3 and 4 had such disconnected content and felt like a theme park is that they had various people working independently on all the locations and just shoving them together. Now it feels like they're doing the same thing with basic gameplay mechanics.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

chitoryu12 posted:

This is also how it works in GTAO and the answer is pretty much 'for laughs' and that's like 90% of the game outside of instanced missions

:laffo: at the dumbass pages back who was like "why would anyone ever kill anyone else in an online game without explicit incentive to do so"

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm really curious how the leveling system will work. The videos I saw all showed character and enemy levels, which makes me think that there is some scaling, which makes me wonder how a friend jumping in at level 1 can play with someone at level 20 without getting 1 shot or feeling completely ineffective. I can't work my head around it to find a way that works but I'm probably missing something. Do you even "build" characters?

is loot instanced? people probably will turn off pvp (LAME) but still do some weird item grab rush when someone sets off end game nuke loot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks like the rewards for killing players are pretty small, not really enough to justify bothering (especially since supposedly that player can then block you from killing them again forever).

My big problem is that it seems like a lot of the gameplay mechanics counter one another. The gameplay shows off the sudden threat of another player attacking you and you can always see all players on your map so hunting people down would be really easy, but the rewards are small and the player can stop you from attacking them after your first kill so there's not a ton of motivation to kill people you run across apart from griefing. They say no server wipes, but they want you to be able to nuke areas to create endgame content and the nuked areas reset after a while to keep the game from quickly becoming unplayable. You can build anywhere, but it's just a portable camp that disappears when you log off so there's no meaningful way to change the environment on your server. They want player trading and buddying up and conflict like an MMO, but with such a small player count on such a large map that people are too spread out to run into each other unless they seek each other out.

None of the gameplay elements seem like they belong together. People have said before that the reason Fallout 3 and 4 had such disconnected content and felt like a theme park is that they had various people working independently on all the locations and just shoving them together. Now it feels like they're doing the same thing with basic gameplay mechanics.

I'm sorry, Todd clearly said it's the post apocalypse not a theme park.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

This is also how it works in GTAO and the answer is pretty much 'for laughs' and that's like 90% of the game outside of instanced missions

:laffo: at the dumbass pages back who was like "why would anyone ever kill anyone else in an online game without explicit incentive to do so"

Yeah, I play GTAO occasionally. It’s so infested with hackers that most sessions are unplayable now.

I wonder how fast people will get mods working in multiplayer once they’re made available for private sessions.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Watch out, someone might call you a Black Isle Purist for such seditious talk

But seriously, all this does seem like a red flag based on what we know about Bethesda games in general. The studio that they acquired could be a bit of a wildcard here--I know they were working on a Rust-like game before; did they work on any other games in the past?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, I play GTAO occasionally. It’s so infested with hackers that most sessions are unplayable now.

I wonder how fast people will get mods working in multiplayer once they’re made available for private sessions.

I'd be fairly shocked if the modding was independent systems. In a universe where mods like "defeat" and "fertile breeder" exist, Bethesda is not going to take the chance that someone is going to turn this into a multiplayer rape simulator.

E: as Pauly points out, don't go googling those mods. Just use your imagination. Or don't.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 14, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

I know they were working on a Rust-like game before

The cancelled game was a multiplayer melee hero arena thing, not a Rust-like.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Rinkles posted:

The cancelled game was a multiplayer melee hero arena thing, not a Rust-like.

My mistake--thought I had read otherwise.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Azhais posted:

I'd be fairly shocked if the modding was independent systems. In a universe where mods like "defeat" and "fertile breeder" exist, Bethesda is not going to take the chance that someone is going to turn this into a multiplayer rape simulator

Well I looked those up and now I feel uncomfortable. :cripes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

My mistake--thought I had read otherwise.

Yes, people spout a lot of bullshit in this thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paulywallywalrus posted:

Well I looked those up and now I feel uncomfortable. :cripes:

Er, yeah. I've slapped a note on my post.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Does "multiplayer melee hero arena" mean something like Overwatch? I wonder what that would look like with Fallout :v:

Fallout Heroes (Cassidy, Boone, Fawkes, Marcus, etc.) vs. Fallout Villains (Frank Horrigan, Lanius, uhhhh...Dukov I guess?) in a multiplayer arena death match game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Does "multiplayer melee hero arena" mean something like Overwatch? I wonder what that would look like with Fallout :v:

Fallout Heroes (Cassidy, Boone, Fawkes, Marcus, etc.) vs. Fallout Villains (Frank Horrigan, Lanius, uhhhh...Dukov I guess?) in a multiplayer arena death match game

itll probably look like whatever the inevitable arena combat system in 76 is

bethesda loves arenas and plotlines around arenas