Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

He's never shown to command that kind of respect, though.

He commands such a massively insane amount of respect that he's able to send his prize replicant to literally just stroll into a police station and murder folks/etc. with zero repercussions to either him or even his replicant (and when you compare that to how replicants are treated in the film in general?). I mean corporations rule the world today and the earth in the movie is a broken place that people are leaving, but even without that in mind think about what a line that crosses.

Origami Dali posted:

I'd like to read Fancher's original draft.

If you check out the final cut special features, they story boarded parts of it. Most interesting is that much of the opening scene on the farm with K already being inside and then them talking about soup/etc. is taken almost directly from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think I would have liked to see Benedict Wong in the Wallace role. But really, more Benedict Wong and less Jared Leto in general.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

He commands such a massively insane amount of respect that he's able to send his prize replicant to literally just stroll into a police station and murder folks/etc. with zero repercussions to either him or even his replicant (and when you compare that to how replicants are treated in the film in general?). I mean corporations rule the world today and the earth in the movie is a broken place that people are leaving, but even without that in mind think about what a line that crosses.

That's power, which is tangible, and could easily be the product of his immense wealth and his position, as opposed to personal respect, which is what I was responding to. Trump has a lot of power, and 29 people died because of him in his first week. Would you say he commands respect?

GrandpaPants posted:

I think I would have liked to see Benedict Wong in the Wallace role. But really, more Benedict Wong and less Jared Leto in general.

Wong is fantastic, and I want to see him in more things.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I wasn't a huge fan of the actual soundtrack when I first saw the film, but since then it's grown on me and it's one of my favorites. But this demo is pretty amazing too. I wish there were another cut of the movie with an entire El-P soundtrack or something like that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wonder if we'll ever hear any of Jóhann Jóhannsson's rejected score.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

That's power, which is tangible, and could easily be the product of his immense wealth and his position, as opposed to personal respect, which is what I was responding to. Trump has a lot of power, and 29 people died because of him in his first week. Would you say he commands respect?

Wong is fantastic, and I want to see him in more things.

After binge watching Marco Polo, I have to agree.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He commands fear of his stupidity and its ability to get people killed now.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

This was a good movie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it, it's right up there with the first Blade Runner as far as I'm concerned. Even at almost three hours I never lost interest in the film (though I did have to take a short "intermission" just before the K meets Deckard scene).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shaddak posted:

After binge watching Marco Polo, I have to agree.

so mad netflix is making a bunch of awful shows including putting 100 mil into the crown and left that show on a cliffhanger about prester john.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

so mad netflix is making a bunch of awful shows including putting 100 mil into the crown and left that show on a cliffhanger about prester john.

I was so looking forward to Kublai wrecking the poo poo out of a crusader army.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked this the first time, but I was very guarded about it due to my love of the first. I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago for the first time since seeing it in the theater and since then it's been worming its way into my heart and brain. I just really love it, and I feel so lucky we got it.

The only thing I wish is that the same story were able to be told with a little less grim commentary on how society treats women and offer us some respite from that in a positive context. It's one of those things where I can really see the argument either way.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Basebf555 posted:

It seems like in both Suicide Squad and Blade Runner, they got Leto because they thought he was one of those actors who can take very limited screen time and make something special and memorable out of it. But he's really not one of those guys.

But he did exactly that in SS?? I can agree with this for 2049, but then I don't think anyone was super memorable in it, even though it's a good movie. The real star is the sound and the image.

I don't know why so many of y'all get distracted by the real lives of performance artists, I mean 9 out of 10 are weirdos and creeps regardless of talent, it's best not to pay attention to that poo poo. Even if Leto wasn't an rear end in a top hat, his name is Jared that's no one you should want to be friends with!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What's your beef with Jared Padalecki?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jedit posted:

What's your beef with Jared Padalecki?

What on earth is that avatar dude

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I thought he was fine, he was alot better than what he did in suicide squad.

I sometimes find myself repeating the way he does the "blah, blah blah, blah blah..." cadence whenever someone talking is boring me so it was at least memorable.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I didn't mind Leto at first, but ever since I read that Bowie was Villeneuve's choice for Wallace I can't watch it again without imagining how much better he would have been. I think a more naturally eccentric person would have the gravitas to pull off the god complex without it seeming weird for the sake of being weird.

I do really like his delivery of "Yes? No?" for some reason though.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really feel like Leto is doing a Jeffrey Combs voice in this movie. Like he straight up sounds like Jeffrey Combs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's tightening up his voice to I guess achieve that effect, not sure exactly what he was going for though. I think his natural voice would've been better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leto is fine in the role if maybe a little tryhard eccentric but many of Wallace's lines are just flat-out badly written. They read like he's from a totally different movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cacator posted:

I didn't mind Leto at first, but ever since I read that Bowie was Villeneuve's choice for Wallace I can't watch it again without imagining how much better he would have been. I think a more naturally eccentric person would have the gravitas to pull off the god complex without it seeming weird for the sake of being weird.

I do really like his delivery of "Yes? No?" for some reason though.

I like "oh, I have millions"

Leto is good in every small part he plays

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I had to go back and re-watch Leto's scenes because so much of his dialogue was hard to interpret due to the strange cadence he was using.

Like, his statement about how he's only been able to reach a handful of worlds and how it's a huge failure because he should own the entire universe flew right by me the first time I saw it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

I really feel like Leto is doing a Jeffrey Combs voice in this movie. Like he straight up sounds like Jeffrey Combs

Yeah, he does now that you point this out.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, he does now that you point this out.

Well, poo poo. Now I'm imagining Jeffrey Combs as Weyoun as Wallace.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shaddak posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I'm imagining Jeffrey Combs as Weyoun as Wallace.

I was about to say, I immediately thought of Weyoun the similarity to Combs was mentioned too. I can't even imagine how good Combs as Wallace would have been. Still, Wallace is in the movie so little that even if Leto isn't amazing in it I don't think it really hurts the movie much. It felt sort of realistic in that way too though, there's no dramatic showdown or cathartic just desserts for the guy, and he's a powerful super genius but in ways that are completely disconnected from humanity - his endgame for making them a perfect slave force is simultaneously the thing that makes them 100% indistinguishable from born humanity instead of 99%.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Combs would've really been inspired casting, not sure if Villanueve is well versed in 80's cult horror or not. But he's exactly the kind of actor I would've liked to see as Tyrell's successor, someone who has gravitas and maturity, but can also project genuine weirdness at will.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Leto took a very straightforward role and did nothing with it. A more interesting actor or one with more inherent charisma really could have elevated Wallace. Leto is only bad because so many actors could have been better, but he's totally serviceable as-is.

Imagine Anthony Hopkins in Westworld mode reading those same lines and you get a decent sense of how much of a missed opportunity it was. Not that he's my ideal person for the role, but he's very easy to imagine in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But I like that Wallace wasn't that charismatic and kind of a nonce.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

UmOk posted:

I like "oh, I have millions"

Leto is good in every small part he plays

He's a decent character actor. No Combs, of course, but decent.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The stand-in for the universal sex drive should be a little esoteric. Bowie would have been perfect.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Blast Fantasto posted:

Dead on.

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't even imagine how good Combs as Wallace would have been.

Combs would have probably been a little more malevolent-seeming but yeah, that would have been interesting.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They should have cast Crispin Glover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

They should have cast Crispin Glover.

Well yea but that kinda goes for every movie ever made. If only it were as easy as simply deciding to cast Crispin Glover.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I thought Leto did a fine job. Another actor may have done a better job, but he only really has two scenes so I didn't mind. Like, of course I'd go with Bowie or Jeffrey Combs (well-spotted, Blast Fantasto) over Leto, but he works a lot better in these kinds of roles than stuff like Dallas Buyers Club.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DeimosRising posted:

What on earth is that avatar dude

I pointed out the link between extreme authoritarian politics and paedophilia, and a Nazi with $10 took offence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

movie's amazing so leto just being "fine" (which i agree with) sticks out compared to everything else.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jared Leto's just-fine performance stands out less to me than the actually-bad revolution subplot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Revolution plan sounds alot better than killing people until death plan in the first movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jared Leto's just-fine performance stands out less to me than the actually-bad revolution subplot.

Not sure I'd really call it a subplot, it's mostly just the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leto is really good in Nexus Dawn.

• Locked thread