Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
getting better at souls games just to show off to the 14 year olds calling me drumpf in my own twitch chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

getting better at souls games just to show off to the 14 year olds calling me drumpf in my own twitch chat

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

Lmfao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of a hard balance between Souls leveling up, which feels like it's mostly about scaring you into making decisions about having earned a lot of points but not wanting to lose progress by going back, and BOTW's "you never level up and even your better weapons break after awhile," which was satisfying until up about the silver enemies when it just became "you have to hit things more times because they have more HP" like every other game.

I frankly like leveling up in most games, including Witcher, because I have the kind of broken brain that likes clicking on trees and choosing things and collecting, but it does feel weird in Bloodborne, where the combat is based mostly around how mechanically good it is, rather than a bunch of menu selections and combos. I'm glad they're exploring something else for the new game, either way, taking risks is what has mde their games good. I dunno, I think the RPG stuff will be fine in Cyberpunk.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I swear Lyle could say he eats sand to cleanse his colon and you loving dopes would quote him saying you've been doing that for years

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i was talkin bout tripping over a fuckin armys worth of swords and belts that all have incredibly minute stat differences

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I swear Lyle could say he eats sand to cleanse his colon and you loving dopes would quote him saying you've been doing that for years

tbf Sekiro is explicitly doing away with leveling and blood echoes, so it's more about confidence in FromSoftware than it is about dinosaur jerk

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

stuffed suits pushing devs to read psychology in order to activate the parts of the brain that release endorphins and lower inhibition so theyll buy stuff has probably stifled the most growth in the games industry since the crash happened, at least creatively.

Player Engagement is a cursed buzzword.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

being able to make incremental progress by backing out, cashing your souls, and trying again is a huge part of why all the souls games work. They can be as difficult as they are because players can always over/under level themselves for the fight if they want. It's what keeps tons of players from just quitting and not coming back for a particularly bs stretch. Imagine trying to fine tune every single boss' balance knowing that if you make it just a little too hard many people just won't be able to finish the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

being able to make incremental progress by backing out, cashing your souls, and trying again is a huge part of why all the souls games work. They can be as difficult as they are because players can always over/under level themselves for the fight if they want. It's what keeps tons of players from just quitting and not coming back for a particularly bs stretch. Imagine trying to fine tune every single boss' balance knowing that if you make it just a little too hard many people just won't be able to finish the game

that's why I think it's bold they're trying to do without it in Sekiro. trying to balance combats without even the cushion of leveling, let alone trying to balance how people measure progress in the game, is going to be insanely hard. it'll be interesting to see how they try it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's not for the theurapetic propoerties that I do so.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm not saying the new system will suck rear end, I'm saying you guys are acting like everyone who suddenly hated Yoshi's Island after Gerstmann said so. It's lame gamer poo poo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

[Yelling in the middle of a twilit grove deep in the forests between Germany and France] I hate Windjammers.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Dark Souls stat system kinda proxies for a more limited number of selections but I never had a problem with it, except you kinda have to plan your builds out with knowledge you won't have first time thru so you it's kinda reliant on looking stuff up. I just pumped end and vit and stayed away from resistance or whatever it was called the first time thru and it was ok. But I did several playthrus with different stats and with a lvl 1 run it was interesting to have to play around your lovely stats.

Ragg fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 14, 2018

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I like the feeling you get on your 2nd playthru when you're a lot better at the game and feel confident you can save your souls and advance your damage much quicker than before

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

It's not for the theurapetic propoerties that I do so.

lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
first of all, one of the main reasons that i like bloodborne is that it cuts down the stats system, and i felt that DS3 was a step in the wrong direction, regardless of agreeing with lyle.

second of all, sand is a naturally occurring cleansing agent. ever hear of whales, dipshit? so, lay off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still have no idea what i'm doing with stats in Bloodborne tbh, but it kind of just seems to work. it feels like i get slightly better at doing damage and have a little more health. maybe it's because i'm still at the early game, just before pastor amelia, but it feels kind of hard to gently caress it up, and also doesn't make as drastic a difference as it does in RPGs that do rely on leveling trees and stat selectino

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Venn diagram where the spheres are labeled "People who want to see a queer teen romance" and "Manson Family Members"

Lmfao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I love that thr leveling system amounts to an extremely granular difficulty bar, but if From wants to try a different progression system, i dunno ive just gotta hope it’s good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder what the penalty for death will be in Sekiro. Miyazaki has said it'll be much harsher than in Souls because you have revives, so actually, for-real dying should be a rarer occurrence.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I love leveling up and getting stronger, and I don't care who knows.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I love leveling up and getting stronger, and I don't care who knows.
This, and I love having the option to not level, if I don't want to.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like Demon Soul because even though you go all the way back when you die essentially, they give you more room to move forward in a life.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

This, and I love having the option to not level, if I don't want to.

Hrm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also making leveling and purchasing one resource pool is very good, as is having that resource pool be constantly vulnerable so you're encouraged to use it. Dark Souls leveling is Good.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Looking back, I'm able to better appreciate some of what was shown... Gears of War XCOM, Ghosts of Tsushima's scenery, Death Stranding still has potential and heck Super Smash Bros is going to be a lot of fun with my friends.... I guess EA's conference really infected me with a lot of toxicity and it's only just now wearing off.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For instance, if you want to increase the challenge, or force yourself to try different approaches.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

That being said, this was still the worst most boring E3 I can think of. At least it's all up from here; E3 2019 starts in just 360 days!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That being said, this was still the worst most boring E3 I can think of. At least it's all up from here; E3 2019 starts in just 360 days!

I'm going to do a 360 and turn around and walk away from E3 forever.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Looking back, I'm able to better appreciate some of what was shown... Gears of War XCOM, Ghosts of Tsushima's scenery, Death Stranding still has potential and heck Super Smash Bros is going to be a lot of fun with my friends.... I guess EA's conference really infected me with a lot of toxicity and it's only just now wearing off.

i dont think its a representation of problems in the game but the dudes demoing tsuhshima behind doors weren't willing to answer basic questions like:

when you hit the enemy, what button are you pressing? can you do combos?

and spent the whole time talking about the beauty of natural scenery instead.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Sharkopath posted:

i dont think its a representation of problems in the game but the dudes demoing tsuhshima behind doors weren't willing to answer basic questions like:

Its gonna be batman combat. Im steering clear

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sharkopath posted:

lmfao

reminds me of the bioshock infinite demo that won a bunch of best of e3 awards, where they had to let judges 'play' to qualify for the awards so the play was you can move the camera and hand the controller back

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The scenery was the only good part of the demo, I don't think I'll buy it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The presentations weren’t all that fun in isolation but put together there’s like 10+ games that seem great right away... so yeah agreed. It’s just kind of a lot of chaff between the good stuff

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I like making the numbers go up

That said sekiro will be good regardless

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

some of us have pica YES it is a real medical condition that i, along with mike uyama, suffer from that is why we have to devour the pristine beachside sand at cabo san lucas year round

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they could just make souls only money, so when you die, you lose your money idk. in bloodborne it definitely felt like it was just sort of there to gate you off from certain weapons with your Points which didn't do much. i think if they were going more action oriented they could do something like how monster hunter handles upgrades. but just with money and chunks or something similar and not 10 billion types of monster drops ofc. esp if they're going more action orientated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i will alwaysremember when gears of war turned into a funkopop and a video game at the same time. and then the real gears appeared and i found not just white, bearded dads can be sad....black, single[?] women can also be sad. simply awe inspiring.

• Locked thread