Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Am I pretty much out of luck for a Gov job if I don't have Veteran preference?
As a fellow non-veteran and current federal employee I want to tell you to keep the faith. I will also tell you I was doing the same job for the same agency but as a contractor and got beat out by veterans for nearly three years.

At one point OPM even told me I didn't meet the basic requirements... For the job I was already doing... For the agency I was already working for... At the same exact facility...my government supervisors found that simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

Just keep applying. Apply everywhere you are even marginally qualified to work.Be willing to relocate to a place no one else wants to go because it's expensive or off the beaten path.

The DC area is a particularly large veteran magnet and it's common for those openings to ignore non-veteran applications because of the flood of veterans that apply. They will tell you when this happens by email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
GEHA has been great for my family. No issues with getting claims paid on time.

My office had a highly technical position open recently, for which I can imagine only a handful of people in the country qualify, most of whom I know well. We received around 200 applicants. One of that handful of highly qualified people did apply after I’d been hassling him to do so for months, and quickly was told that HR had decided not to forward him to the hiring manager on the basis of what is basically a computer program that matches keywords. The hiring manager was sent three resumes, and was told he can’t look at the rest. Like, I get that they’re trying to be “objective” to reduce discrimination, but at some point human beings need to use their brains and not rely on a computer program that can’t know synonyms for technical jargon to pick candidate for a job that like a dozen people in the country know how to do. :bang:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
It's tyool 2018, and not a soul in DOI actually knows how night differential is supposed to work.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tetraptous posted:

GEHA has been great for my family. No issues with getting claims paid on time.

My office had a highly technical position open recently, for which I can imagine only a handful of people in the country qualify, most of whom I know well. We received around 200 applicants. One of that handful of highly qualified people did apply after I’d been hassling him to do so for months, and quickly was told that HR had decided not to forward him to the hiring manager on the basis of what is basically a computer program that matches keywords. The hiring manager was sent three resumes, and was told he can’t look at the rest. Like, I get that they’re trying to be “objective” to reduce discrimination, but at some point human beings need to use their brains and not rely on a computer program that can’t know synonyms for technical jargon to pick candidate for a job that like a dozen people in the country know how to do. :bang:

I failed a computer based “skills assessment” for an entry level job at my agency that would have taken me from a grade 13 to a grade 9. I have the highest credential in my field and almost 10 years of experience at said agency but no one will even see my resume now.

It’s the second time I’ve failed it and there is no way to prepare for the test or get any kind of feedback.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sparkmaster posted:

It's tyool 2018, and not a soul in DOI actually knows how night differential is supposed to work.

Not sure for DOI but for DOJ it's +10% base pay + any incentive pay (Sunday etc), from 6pm to 6am normally scheduled at least 24h in advance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

I failed a computer based “skills assessment” for an entry level job at my agency that would have taken me from a grade 13 to a grade 9. I have the highest credential in my field and almost 10 years of experience at said agency but no one will even see my resume now.

It’s the second time I’ve failed it and there is no way to prepare for the test or get any kind of feedback.
While this is amazing, why do you want to go from a 13 to a 9, is there an incredibly sad story to accompany this

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

While this is amazing, why do you want to go from a 13 to a 9, is there an incredibly sad story to accompany this

Different job series + pay retention

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Rakeris posted:

Not sure for DOI but for DOJ it's +10% base pay + any incentive pay (Sunday etc), from 6pm to 6am normally scheduled at least 24h in advance.

In the official policy, ours is the same. But up until 2 years ago OT and night differential didn't stack, so you never got it unless it's a designated night shift. Now it stacks, and there is an insane amount of flux in how individual units interpret the policy. Some say you can only get it if you are on a designated night shift, some say its all hours between 1800 and 0600 after a spot change, some say it's somewhere in between.

A giant headache.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 9, 2018

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Everyone is entitled to night differential.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/fact-sheets/night-pay-for-general-schedule-employees/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh night differential is why we cannot have nice things, I see now.

Right before I started working at my office they ran a second shift for space purposes, and I have yearned for that opportunity ever since. Now I see just how much a last resort it really is.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

For us, the sticky point is the definition of "regularly scheduled" and "tour of duty". For us, it's entirely possible to work 8 hours one day and 16 hrs the next, with no warning. It depends on the circumstances of the day. So potentially you could work hours covered under the night differential regulations, and never actually get paid for them. But sometimes you know, based on the workload or the historical patterns, that you will more than likely be working hours covered under night differential. If your manager says you're working until 2200, and she tells you at 1600, does that count as a spot change in schedule? What about if she tells you at 2100, or 0900?

Hence the issues we're having. The fundamental definitions the night diff rules are build upon haven't been defined, and haven't needed to be defined in the past because of night differential and OT not stacking. As for OPM rules saying everyone is entitled, when timekeepers and management ignore the rules, there isn't much someone can do. I have been a part of a situation where a manager and timekeeper pulled a definition of night diff pretty much out of their asses with no backing from OPM or agency rules/guidelines. Their local guidelines specifically banned a certain group of employees from getting night differential, while those employees with the same position code received it.

Sorry for nightdiffderail, but I'm tired of having eight different interpretations of OPM and Agency rules affect my paycheck. I figured you folks, above others, would understand my frustrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Well, the OPM rule covers both scheduled and unscheduled time. Sounds like your employees have a good IG complaint or lawsuit.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sounds kind of like the comp time thing I have been trying to figure out. OPMs website says you accrue it at a 1 to 1 ratio but has no citation for it, and if you look at the US code it says it's no less than 1.5 to 1, (for LEOs and stuff) but no one I have talked to has been able to give me any reference for why it's 1 to 1 other than the single sentence on OPMs website.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Night differentials combined with unlimited overtime (before they cut it off) was one of the few good things about working for TSA.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I am firmly convinced agency policy derived from law is just a long bureaucratic game of telephone.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have it in my head that I'll have a better shot at landing a job with the US or a city/county/state government with a masters in English program that focuses on government writing or technical writing. My undergrad was in English comp/rhet and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything where I live because a couple of things happened that forced me to relocate from Denver back home to central Wyoming at the beginning of 2017 a couple of months after I graduated in December, 2016.

If the answer is to learn how to code or develop software then I'm just going to jump off a loving cliff.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Star Man posted:

If the answer is to learn how to code or develop software then I'm just going to jump off a loving cliff.

Don’t be ridiculous. There’s also IT+Cybersecurity

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Justus posted:

Don’t be ridiculous. There’s also IT+Cybersecurity

ugh

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Star Man posted:

I have it in my head that I'll have a better shot at landing a job with the US or a city/county/state government with a masters in English program that focuses on government writing or technical writing. My undergrad was in English comp/rhet and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything where I live because a couple of things happened that forced me to relocate from Denver back home to central Wyoming at the beginning of 2017 a couple of months after I graduated in December, 2016.

I don't see how a masters in English will be any help with a government job, unless you already have some kind of relevant experience. Anything that that helps with is going to be swamped with people with veterans preference. You'd be immensely better off doing something technical or majoring in an in demand language like Chinese or Urdu. Even then a masters to retrain is no guarantee of anything on a federal level. Hell, you'd be better off going to trade school to be an aircraft mechanic, there are some bases up there that will hire anybody with a pulse.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
What the hell is government writing?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have a Masters and it took me almost a year to find a job in the federal government.

In a temp GS-5 position. Haha. I'm not sure how to advance from here, either. Any advice? I could brush up on my Mandarin I guess but I'm not sure where that could take me either.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Artificer posted:

I have a Masters and it took me almost a year to find a job in the federal government.

In a temp GS-5 position. Haha. I'm not sure how to advance from here, either. Any advice? I could brush up on my Mandarin I guess but I'm not sure where that could take me either.

Do a good job, network, and convince a supervisor that they want you in a non-temp position. Depending on the organization, that may have been the point of the temp position, to try you out without significant paperwork to fire you.

Once you're competitive service eligible your masters degree will be very valuable for promotion purposes so start applying a year later for that next rung.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I’ve got my fingers crossed because the local office posted 5 open positions for my dream job (AUSA), which is probably more than this office has hired in the last 3 years combined. I think I’ve applied to every posted opening in the last 5 years to no avail. Here’s to hoping that something happens this time!

In the spirit of the thread, I have to throw in the last time I applied for an agency position. I applied for an agency honors program, which is the main way many agencies get new attorneys. In order to apply to any honors program, you must be a 3L or be clerking for a judge with no private experience after graduating, so it’s a limited pool of applicants.

So I shoot out my application and don’t hear anything. No surprise there. Literally 1.5 years later, I get an email apologizing for the delay and saying the agency is very interested in my application and that I should receive an email with interview times later that week. Never heard anything again.

Maybe they realized that it took them so long to send out an interview message that they realized that nobody who applied in my year would be eligible for the program.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Nice! Good luck, we just got a new AUSA in our district and it's great, he is a go getter and wants to take cases, the last one we had wouldn't pick up anything.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
They've been doing a LOT of AUSA hiring lately. It's making me wonder what policy goal they're unleashing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Meanwhile, there are no financial economist positions anywhere. :smith:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If you do Nazi a problem with it, I'm seeing a ton of Customs and Border Protection jobs opening up

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I received a Notice of Results that I qualify for the position I applied to, now what?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Forget you applied.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IRS is hiring a huge batch of full time seasonal permanent employees this year.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

sullat posted:

That was my first gov’t gig, all 2 months of it. Beware the ol’ auto-audit though.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So when y'all say full time seasonal permanent employees, do you mean benefited positions that count as competitive service? Just trying to get my terminology straight.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Full time: 40 hours
Seasonal: only work part of the year.
Permanent: You don't need need to reapply each year.

Season can be any where from 6 months to 11.5 months. There are benefits and it is on the GS pay scale.

The only people that are automatically audited are the president, the VP, the Secretary of the Treasury and the IRS Commissioner.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 14, 2018

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

sullat posted:

That was also my first Federal job. I was one for two weeks before I was offered a full-time permanent job, of course.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I guess mine wasn’t permanent then, just temp/seasonal (it’s been a few years, I don’t remember the exact terms). We were told that working there even for that brief tax season that it would trigger an audit, and it definitely did. The hassle from that nearly canceled out whatever small bit of money I made, but that was the first place that would even hire me a year out of grad school and a cross-country move later (not specifically for that).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was talking to the assistant director of my division yesterday about career plans and said I don’t really see myself staying at this agency long term. He mentioned something about a change in status after 1 yr and 3 yr as a federal employee. From what I can tell, after 3 years, if you leave government and want to come back later, you can apply to postings for “current or former federal employees” instead of only “open to the public”. Is that correct? Is that the only benefit? And what happens after 1 year?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I was talking to the assistant director of my division yesterday about career plans and said I don’t really see myself staying at this agency long term. He mentioned something about a change in status after 1 yr and 3 yr as a federal employee. From what I can tell, after 3 years, if you leave government and want to come back later, you can apply to postings for “current or former federal employees” instead of only “open to the public”. Is that correct? Is that the only benefit? And what happens after 1 year?

Yes, depending on your position.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/competitive-hiring/

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
More generally, some "permanent" new hires are first brought in as term employees and converted before their term is up. So, it may be even greater than three years before you are considered tenured. For instance, I was a civil servant for about five and a half years before I was tenured.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

He mentioned something about a change in status after 1 yr and 3 yr as a federal employee.
Usually, but not always, one year in is the end of your probationary period. This is sometimes called "career conditional." After three years you typically transition to "career permanent" status on your SF50, which allows you to apply under certain special statuses.

The terms might be slightly different for competitive vs excepted service but I think they both work the same on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

That was my first gov’t gig, all 2 months of it. Beware the ol’ auto-audit though.

Now that I think about it, it isn't an audit per se, since that is a very specific process, but the background check does include a review of taxes for any missing returns. And periodic checks to make sure that you don't forget to file while you're working there.