Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, one of the Spanish kings is a good next step if you get bored with Ireland. Scheme to steal your brothers' thrones in between holy wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The answer is Vikings. The answer is always Vikings. :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only problem with Ireland is that it's painfully slow. It's good for an absolutely fresh, never played a Paradox game before player for their first hour or two of just figuring out what the buttons do, but after that all the waiting for claims to fabricate or minor counts to have only daughters so you can marry your kid into their inheritance gets old pretty quickly.

So yeah, definitely start there, but try a French vassal or someone on a border where holy wars are possible as soon as you start feeling bored instead of overwhelmed.

Why do you need to wait for their counts to have only daughters? Marry claimants and press claims straight up. Holy wars are more boring than fiendishly weaving claims into your heirs and enacting a generation long plan.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I tried to just jump in and play this game on Ireland as directed by this thread and others when I got it during the free weekend, and ended up giving up as it was simply overwhelming. I then spent 8 long, hungover hours one Saturday just back-to-back watching Arumba’s 21x 20-30 min vids of his CK2 Let’s Play Tutorial series.

It’s extremely long but it taught me enough to find my feet. Break it up over a few days and you’ll be far better off.

Edit: Specifically, it taught me at least one option of what to do in nearly every common circumstance. Like when I found myself in a situation and didn’t know how to proceed, I was able to flick back to that part of the video and understand it.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 13, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

This game is a lot like Dwarf Fortress in the sense that the best way to learn is to play, ask questions, gently caress up, ask questions, lose, ask questions. Also the wiki is pretty solid. But really you just gotta dive in and see where poo poo goes. Before you know it you'll understand enough of the mechanics to be able to accomplish what you want. But really I've learned more by asking questions in here than through any other method.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

TomViolence posted:

ahahaha jesus i just got cockblocked in the most infuriating way possible.

started as haraldr fairhair, united most of norway, decided now was the time to launch an invasion of east francia. the target of the invasion ended up being bavaria, but the plan was to carpet-siege the whole of east francia anyway. was making great progress with a host of 16k or so dudes, wasn't even running into enemy forces and from checking the numbers they only had like 4k guys so that was all good. by the time i'd sieged half the country, however, the war suddenly ended inconclusively.

the hungarians had only just gone and launched their own invasion of bavaria while i wasn't looking and snatched it from my grasp, the part of the country i was least interested in taking for myself. but since that was the invasion target, i was left with nothing to fight for and my once-in-a-lifetime invasion burned for fuckall. :negative:

Invasions allow you to take land other than that of your target kingdom? Didn’t know that

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, you gain the target kingdom, plus every county you occupy. It's often worth it to sit on a 100% war score while you siege their last provinces to completely wipe them out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So yeah, definitely start there, but try a French vassal or someone on a border where holy wars are possible as soon as you start feeling bored instead of overwhelmed.

Robert de Hauteville, Duke of Apulia (1066), or Hásteinn of Nantes, Count of Nantes (867) are both a lot of fun and let you kick things off almost immediately.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The real fun begins when you start doing playthroughs where the world seems to actively hate you, like W. Africans or Zunists or those poor bastards in Yugra that routinely get turbofucked by nomads/China. Jewish Semien and 769 Otuken are both pretty rough too.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Any advice for how to deal with megadukes? I'm High King of Ireland, controlling Dublin and all the other counties in that duchy, and my vassal dukes all directly control either all but one of the counties in their duchy, or in two cases (Connacht and Ulster) all of the counties in their duchy. I'm surrounded by megadukes, any one of which can match me in power, and any two of which together could easily overthrow me. We're still tribal so I can't even revoke titles.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

One of my idiot khans decided to subjugate a Muslim kingdom, and then got a little big for his britches and launched a solo Overthrough Khagan faction war. It was a touch and go for a bit, but I finally beat him and imprisoned him. I decided to take away his biggest satrap as punishment, which is when I found out that nomads don't free their prisoners once they punish them. :magical:

An update for anyone else playing nomads: you can absorb traitor clans for free. All their land and all their sheep and all their vassals are yours, and the former khan is nice enough to hang around in your jail afterwards to boot.

Mister Bates posted:

Any advice for how to deal with megadukes? I'm High King of Ireland, controlling Dublin and all the other counties in that duchy, and my vassal dukes all directly control either all but one of the counties in their duchy, or in two cases (Connacht and Ulster) all of the counties in their duchy. I'm surrounded by megadukes, any one of which can match me in power, and any two of which together could easily overthrow me. We're still tribal so I can't even revoke titles.

All you can really do at that point is grow harder than them. Keep in mind though that if you're tribal, your listed military strength doesn't include any vassals you have to call to war as allies. If things are getting bad, antagonize one of them badly enough to get them to revolt solo (ie: find a reason to lock them up), then call the others to war against them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if you've got a decent spymaster they'll plot something stupid eventually, then park an army on their capitol and hit the arrest button. the arrest won't really work, usually, but you can smash the rest of their forces when they rebel.

it's been so long since I've played any version other than hip, but can't you start revoking titles at level 2 tribal?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Bates posted:

If they have multiple sons and gavelkind, murder plot the duke and his sons will split the titles.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In most kingdoms those aren't even megadukes. Usually megadukes are dudes that control more than one duchy but in a place like Ireland a single duchy has a pretty decent amount of power. In those cases the key is to try to gain control of as many castles within your duchy (especially the capital province where you get a bonus to levies) as possible. If there's open holding slots, save up and build castles there. Then develop them starting with castle walls and castle towns for good boosts to levies and income. If you've got access to them, build up your retinues. But generally speaking you want your dukes to only control one duchy each while you control two (any more than two and they'll hate your guts for it.) In the case of Ireland I like to control the one with Dublin and one other duchy neighboring it.

As far as gaining possession of castles from your barons, murder's your best bet. In some cases they might revolt and give you an excuse for revocation but the most reliable method is to just murder the gently caress out of them until their family is extinct and the castle passes to their liege (you) by default. It's usually pretty easy to get these plots to work as people don't seem to mind helping you gently caress over some little bullshit baron.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Honky Dong Country posted:

This game is a lot like Dwarf Fortress in the sense that the best way to learn is to play, ask questions, gently caress up, ask questions, lose, ask questions. Also the wiki is pretty solid. But really you just gotta dive in and see where poo poo goes. Before you know it you'll understand enough of the mechanics to be able to accomplish what you want. But really I've learned more by asking questions in here than through any other method.

Agreed, when I first tried to learn CK2 I bounced off hard, once I embraced loving up as part of the game and asked in here/looked at the wiki when I didn't understand things, it became much easier.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did ck2+ mod out secret societies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stairmaster posted:

why did ck2+ mod out secret societies

Does that include falsely professed religions? Because that poo poo inevitably turns any large empire into a giant tangle of heretics and it offends my sensibilities, and that's why I would do it, but I'm not sure what their reason was. :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does that include falsely professed religions? Because that poo poo inevitably turns any large empire into a giant tangle of heretics and it offends my sensibilities, and that's why I would do it, but I'm not sure what their reason was. :v:

Can't you just turn those off in the game settings, though?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Can't you just turn those off in the game settings, though?

You can.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Secret cults are great. Either you're using them to your advantage or they give your court chaplain an excuse to incinerate troublesome vassals/courtiers for free (unless they're your kin).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Secret cults are great. Either you're using them to your advantage or they give your court chaplain an excuse to incinerate troublesome vassals/courtiers for free (unless they're your kin).

Yeah, they're pretty good for that purpose, I think! Not sure why people would disable them, to be honest. Since I've been able to brand and imprison (or burn) many troublesome vassals and courtiers...including accidentally burning my wife/cousin at the stake, who I had personally converted to a secret religion. :ssh:
(It was OK though, since the Pope forgave me for being a kinslayer, not long after. For a modest fee)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah the Pope may not be the greatest mechanic but sometimes you can make it work for you, like forgiving your sins to remove Kinslayer. I'm also very fond of gaming a relative onto the throne of St. Peter via murder and money and then using him to utterly pillage the Vatican's treasury. I used a young male dynasty member when I was Venice once and got him to become the Pope and used him to loot like 2k from the Papacy that way. It loving ruled. Of course after all those money requests he basically hated me but still. That 2k went a long way.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the viking way where you loot rome every six months is much better.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah the Pope may not be the greatest mechanic but sometimes you can make it work for you, like forgiving your sins to remove Kinslayer. I'm also very fond of gaming a relative onto the throne of St. Peter via murder and money and then using him to utterly pillage the Vatican's treasury. I used a young male dynasty member when I was Venice once and got him to become the Pope and used him to loot like 2k from the Papacy that way. It loving ruled. Of course after all those money requests he basically hated me but still. That 2k went a long way.

So, what's the most reliable way of doing this, by the way? I've always been interested in being a KingPopemaker, but I've never actually put much effort into it. I think the most I got (i.e. making a relative a bishop and my chaplain, then just kinda hoping :v:) was making the brother of one of my characters a Cardinal, but that's about it. Bonus points if he's corrupt I guess, since I wouldn't mind getting that "black bishop" achievement while I'm at it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm playing CK2+ and there are definitely still secret societies and secret religions, I'm secretly converting all of Ireland to Celtic Paganism as we speak

you don't get the option to start your cult but all the mechanics for it are still there, you can still secretly induct people into your religion, start secret communities of believers, etc.

I have no idea why they removed the society but left all the mechanics for the society in, though

e: one benefit of this is that you can spread a secret religion while also being a member of another society, like the Hermetic Order or something

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 15, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

So, what's the most reliable way of doing this, by the way? I've always been interested in being a KingPopemaker, but I've never actually put much effort into it. I think the most I got (i.e. making a relative a bishop and my chaplain, then just kinda hoping :v:) was making the brother of one of my characters a Cardinal, but that's about it. Bonus points if he's corrupt I guess, since I wouldn't mind getting that "black bishop" achievement while I'm at it.

That's really the only way to go about it, although you can also accelerate their ascension with lots of stabbing. I've ended up with a 30-ish year old relative as the Pope before just because I murdered everybody else who was ahead of them until he was the most senior candidate left.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

After 2+ years I finally managed to do a 769->1453 game as Byzantium. I literally started this game before all the new game options even existed, I'm glad it's finally over.

Things got very silly after about 1200 or so:

My vassal kings kept on going out and conquering land and since I had viceroyalties I was able to keep them all extremely loyal. The only thing that stopped me was the Mongol Empire to the East.

I wiped out Islam & Paganism, ended the Schism and built pretty much everything you can build. Also had 3 successive generations of Empresses and threw the Aztecs back into the sea without them even managing to get anything. A retinue of 40k plus 200k vassal troops plus 12k of my own troops will do that.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

There's a few things that influence this, and I'm by no means an absolute expert. Italian culture gives a bonus to becoming a cardinal, as does the candidate being physically in Rome (this can be accomplished by making them your chaplain and then setting them in Rome to suck the Pope's holy dick.) Contributing money can help, as can murdering any candidate for Cardinal that beats your man out (being a Satanist with high rank/intrigue can help a lot here). Beyond that who's the papal preferati seems to depend mostly on age among other factors. To be perfectly honest I haven't done this in awhile and don't remember all the particulars.

But basically you stick the guy in Rome and be as cutthroat as possible until they become a cardinal. Then you continue to be cutthroat as gently caress and eliminate any cardinal that has a better shot at becoming pope than your man. Again, Satanism and high intrigue can help a lot. Sooner or later your dude will likely become pope. Then you use that (hopefully) high influence with him to excommunicate assholes, or my personal favorite of requesting money repeatedly until even you kinfolk-pope is tired of your poo poo.

E: I'm assuming in all this that the guy you wanna make pope is already a bishop, btw. Won't work with just some random family member made chaplain, he does have to control a bishopric.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 15, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

There's a few things that influence this, and I'm by no means an absolute expert. Italian culture gives a bonus to becoming a cardinal, as does the candidate being physically in Rome (this can be accomplished by making them your chaplain and then setting them in Rome to suck the Pope's holy dick.) Contributing money can help, as can murdering any candidate for Cardinal that beats your man out (being a Satanist with high rank/intrigue can help a lot here). Beyond that who's the papal preferati seems to depend mostly on age among other factors. To be perfectly honest I haven't done this in awhile and don't remember all the particulars.

But basically you stick the guy in Rome and be as cutthroat as possible until they become a cardinal. Then you continue to be cutthroat as gently caress and eliminate any cardinal that has a better shot at becoming pope than your man. Again, Satanism and high intrigue can help a lot. Sooner or later your dude will likely become pope. Then you use that (hopefully) high influence with him to excommunicate assholes, or my personal favorite of requesting money repeatedly until even you kinfolk-pope is tired of your poo poo.

E: I'm assuming in all this that the guy you wanna make pope is already a bishop, btw. Won't work with just some random family member made chaplain, he does have to control a bishopric.

Alright cool, I didn't realize that actually being in Rome improves their chances. (Same with being Italian, although I'm not sure how I'll go with setting that up reliably. I suppose I could set up a branch of the family to be Italian, so I can just pull Popes from there) And yeah, definitely a Bishop.
I guess it might also pay to bribe him and go carousing together, etc. while he's just a chump vassal Bishop (especially since the bribe will be cheaper that way) to boost his opinion a bit? Assuming he gets to be the Pope, that is - so that I can hopefully push him into giving me more, due to being best friends in addition to being family, etc.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Is the cultural bonus for Italians, or is it for the culture of the province the Pope rules in? I thought that was how that worked if, say, Rome was turned Han then the bonus would be for Han culture instead. Am I wrong or did they change something?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

catlord posted:

Is the cultural bonus for Italians, or is it for the culture of the province the Pope rules in? I thought that was how that worked if, say, Rome was turned Han then the bonus would be for Han culture instead. Am I wrong or did they change something?

Honestly I have no idea. Any time I've pulled off Papal shenanigans it was when the Pope was Italian.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

catlord posted:

AFAIK it's Rome's culture; not the Pope, not the Pope's county, Rome.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

catlord posted:

IIRC, it's whatever culture Rome is, but I don't mess with culture-changing much.

Rank is a big modifier to cardinal/pope chances,and dynasty prestige adds some points too. Give a duchy to a bishop and it'll be a significant boost to their chances.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

catlord posted:

Nope, that's exactly how it works. To quote from the wiki:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Papal_succession

quote:

Based on the province culture of Rome. Will change if Rome changes culture; will not change if the Pope moves capitals.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Makes sense, the Papacy mega-LP that's ongoing right now had a string of English popes after Rome culture converted to English.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I dig the Muslim Basilieus.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's pretty lame but we will get reformation mechanics next week so that's neat.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Anyone know what the trait with the frog icon is on Ghengis' page there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Anyone know what the trait with the frog icon is on Ghengis' page there?

That's the Secret Frog trait. Genghis is secretly a frog. It's why he's wearing a mask.

• Locked thread