Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not? Like the author is dealing with a whole imagined world but can't think of anything more interesting for characters to say than expletives.

Not to mention it's redundant too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Lol, Glotka is a well written fantasy character, the dialogue is really good and you're a pretentious twat (because you seem to think your opinion is more correct/important).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

By contrast, I'm not pretentious at all, because I think all the opinions I hold are wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Walh Hara posted:

Lol, Glotka is a well written fantasy characte

Glokta represents a puerile fantasy - the desire for an authority figure who shares and understands the reader's cynicism and frustration, and through them proves himself superior to the corrupt world around them.

In truth secret police officers will be people like Captain Pjele from The Land of Green Plums - banal idiots who will nevertheless ruin you, your family, and your friends.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 14, 2018

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
But Glokta's whole thing is he constantly fails, abandons the tiny shreds of morals he had left, drowns in his bitterness and self-pity and merrily skips into no-redemptions no-morals gently caress-itville. I don't think at any point in the narrative are we not reminded at least once every POV chapter that he's a self-loathing, traumatized and crippled rear end in a top hat who's permanently under the thumb of an actual authority figure?

If anything, he's middle management.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Glokta is wildly successful through the narrative. He proves himself intelligent perceptive enough to outmaneuvre others, and manages to dodge even threats that he had no way of foreseeing (Shickel, Pike). Despite his life being miserable, he has power enough to humiliate and torture others.

His story ends with him proving the superiority of his way of life to a man whom he's destroyed, creating another Glokta.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Glokta is wildly successful through the narrative. He proves himself intelligent perceptive enough to outmaneuvre others, and manages to dodge even threats that he had no way of foreseeing (Shickel, Pike). Despite his life being miserable, he has power enough to humiliate and torture others.

His story ends with him proving the superiority of his way of life to a man whom he's destroyed, creating another Glokta.

His story ends with him incapable of escaping or overcoming a life that he describes as hell, perpetuating the cycle of abuse as an ineffective salve to his own pain and ensuring he's perpetually trapped in misery, while also permanently under the control of Bayaz. He starts as a broken torturer under the thumb of someone, and he ends as... a higher-status torturer under the thumb of someone. Every effort he made to escape that state, help others or do heroics - proving that, at one point, he did want to actually make a less horrendous life for himself - is a hideous failure, he never gains true agency and in the end he's materially wealthier and utterly bankrupt in everything else ... and so I'm not sure where the superiority or success comes from here?

We can even contrast his arc with Caul Shivers: Both of them tortured, both have a long arc filled with betrayal, vengeance-hunger and bloody dark acts. But Caul, at the end, manages to set down his grudge and his ending is: "Hey, maybe he's always going to be hosed up, and maybe it's all going to end horrendously, but he's overcome something and right now there's a chance for happiness, friendship and good things,"

While Glokta's ending is: "at least you can torture people better and you have a nice house to go with your complete and utter empty wreck of a life, i guess, enjoy."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Your argument is that the power and success don't matter because Glokta like, totally feels bad, man.

What you're doing is simply justifying the fantasy: sure Glokta is a cool witty sarcastic dude who owns everyone and triumphs, but it sucks that he gets to do that because it's only because he got crippled.

You're making a Glokta out to be some kind of "Misery Sue" who suffers all the time and sucks, but is the winner anyway.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Glokta represents a puerile fantasy - the desire for an authority figure who shares and understands the reader's cynicism and frustration, and through them proves himself superior to the corrupt world around them.

In truth secret police officers will be people like Captain Pjele from The Land of Green Plums - banal idiots who will nevertheless ruin you, your family, and your friends.

this book sounds real lovely

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
first law is some good pulp fantasy and bravestofthelamps is a sperg

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Agreed. I've enjoyed the trilogy each of the three times I've read it. Might have to pick it back up for some beach reading.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

Agreed. I've enjoyed the trilogy each of the three times I've read it. Might have to pick it back up for some beach reading.

Jivjov is that you?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This isn't at all what Glokta does though. He succeeds because of corruption, not in spite of it. By the end he is an agent of the very corruption he spent the first book opposing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Surely you can find something worthwhile in the whole trilogy? The books can't be entirely without merit. There must be at least one little tiny snippet that was enjoyable, or clever, or interesting?.

Go on BotL, say one thing for Joe Abercrombie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

This isn't at all what Glokta does though. He succeeds because of corruption, not in spite of it. By the end he is an agent of the very corruption he spent the first book opposing.

I never said that he didn't. Glokta simply has the advantage that he's super cynical and doesn't believe in anything, unlike Sult.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Surely you can find something worthwhile in the whole trilogy? The books can't be entirely without merit. There must be at least one little tiny snippet that was enjoyable, or clever, or interesting?.

Go on BotL, say one thing for Joe Abercrombie.

No. It's turtles all the way down, and the turtles are all bad books.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I never said that he didn't. Glokta simply has the advantage that he's super cynical and doesn't believe in anything, unlike Sult.

No. It's turtles all the way down, and the turtles are all bad books.

So why did you read all three of them? Genuinely curious. I've bailed on a series before. My time is too valuable to read books I don't enjoy. Same for movies and games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beastie posted:

So why did you read all three of them? Genuinely curious. I've bailed on a series before. My time is too valuable to read books I don't enjoy. Same for movies and games.

Look at his post history in this thread, he was pretty enthusiastic about them for a long time, but I guess that doesn’t work with his current posting gimmick or whatever.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure you did, you said he proves himself superior to a corrupt system by triumphing. But this triumph is one of the corrupt system. The tortured becomes the torturer becomes the creator of torturers.

Unlike Sult who seeks the trappings of power, Glokta's character motivation throughout the trilogy is merely to survive the machinations of those with power over him. Glokta does not want to be King. His advantage is that he is a more useful servant to Bayaz because he understands his place in the system Bayaz built.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure you did, you said he proves himself superior to a corrupt system by triumphing. But this triumph is one of the corrupt system. The tortured becomes the torturer becomes the creator of torturers.

Unlike Sult who seeks the trappings of power, Glokta's character motivation throughout the trilogy is merely to survive the machinations of those with power over him. Glokta does not want to be King. His advantage is that he is a more useful servant to Bayaz because he understands his place in the system Bayaz built.

Note that I said nothing about triumphing over "the corrupt system". I said that he proves superior to the corrupt world around him. Mastering "the system" is part of that. The fantasy of Glokta is a character stumbling into power innocently (relatively speaking, of course). He accurately recognizes that the world around him is stupid and anyone holding any ideals is a pompous fool. This viewpoint is essentially true when it comes to how the world is presented, and it aligns with that of the reader. It's a fantasy of intellectual superiority, and the self-pity and villainy justify it by showing that it totally sucks, man.

That Glokta triumphs over his adversaries is the fantasy. If it was not a fantasy, Glokta would be outmaneuvred by Goyle, who ends up running the country.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Note that I said nothing about triumphing over "the corrupt system". I said that he proves superior to the corrupt world around him. Mastering "the system" is part of that. The fantasy of Glokta is a character stumbling into power innocently (relatively speaking, of course). He accurately recognizes that the world around him is stupid and anyone holding any ideals is a pompous fool. This viewpoint is essentially true when it comes to how the world is presented, and it aligns with that of the reader. It's a fantasy of intellectual superiority, and the self-pity and villainy justify it by showing that it totally sucks, man.

That Glokta triumphs over his adversaries is the fantasy. If it was not a fantasy, Glokta would be outmaneuvred by Goyle, who ends up running the country.

But Glokta is himself corrupted by the world he lives in. He perpetuates the corruption of this world through his very profession, and his character arc ends with him realizing that he does so because he enjoys it. He triumphs over Sult but only because of submission to and therefore assistance from the forces beyond Sult, and in doing so he only exchanges one master for another arguably worse one. The ending explicitly spells out that Glokta succeeded only because Bayaz assisted him in multiple ways; he did not succeed because of intellectual superiority but because Bayaz provided him material assistance and gave him hints as to how he could take down Sult. In part the ending reveals that Glokta is not as smart as he thinks he is, but rather he is just one piece on a much bigger board than he had thought. He may be sitting at the table of power, but he is playing someone else's hand.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i was going to say this originally but then i googled pulp and its a synonym for bad and cheap

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Look at his post history in this thread, he was pretty enthusiastic about them for a long time, but I guess that doesn’t work with his current posting gimmick or whatever.

Lol.

All the characters and their stories were great, basically.

So this is all just an opportunity for dude to name-drop the totally serious modernist incest fiction he's in to.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You are never allowed to change your mind, ever

The Ninth Layer posted:

But Glokta is himself corrupted by the world he lives in.

In part the ending reveals that Glokta is not as smart as he thinks he is, but rather he is just one piece on a much bigger board than he had thought.

Readers are perfectly fine with Glokta's moral corruption because it's only moral corruption. Unlike other characters, he doesn't pompously pretend to be anything else, but revels in being terrible.

And even when revealed as just one piece, he's rather smug about it.

quote:

I tire of this. “And blah, blah, loving blah. The stench of self-satisfaction is becoming quite suffocating. If you mean to kill me, blast me to a cinder now and let’s be done, but, for pity’s sake, subject me to no more of your boasting."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 14, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Readers are perfectly fine with Glokta's moral corruption because it's only moral corruption. Unlike other characters, he doesn't pompously pretend to be anything else, but revels in being terrible.

And even when revealed as just one piece, he's rather smug about it.

The text argues against this first point. Glokta is not devoid of morality even if he's reluctant to acknowledge it. He sympathizes with the Dagoskan citizenry and acts on this sympathy, he has a soft spot for women which is later exploited, he is loyal those he considers his friends, even if they turn out not to be as loyal to him. Through characters like West and Ardee the text suggests that Glokta could be a hero after all, if only he wasn't so self-pitying. But instead he thinks of himself as a monster and acts accordingly.

The quote you showed reveals irritability, not smugness.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

The text argues against this first point. Glokta is not devoid of morality even if he's reluctant to acknowledge it. He sympathizes with the Dagoskan citizenry and acts on this sympathy, he has a soft spot for women which is later exploited, he is loyal those he considers his friends, even if they turn out not to be as loyal to him. Through characters like West and Ardee the text suggests that Glokta could be a hero after all, if only he wasn't so self-pitying. But instead he thinks of himself as a monster and acts accordingly.

The quote you showed reveals irritability, not smugness.

I'm not sure you know what you're arguing anymore.

Glokta is a figure of cheap fantasy: a secret police officer who represents cynical intellectual superiority.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was going to ask what you meant by "dishonest fantasy" but see that you edited it.

Glokta's story is deeper than one of cynical intellectual superiority, despite your attempts to reduce it to that. To say that he triumphs over anything is to ignore that he ends the series where he started, inflicting suffering and ruining lives in service to an inescapable master.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

Glokta's story is deeper than one of cynical intellectual superiority, despite your attempts to reduce it to that. To say that he triumphs over anything is to ignore that he ends the series where he started, inflicting suffering and ruining lives in service to an inescapable master.

"Depth" is irrelevant.

Your argument seems to be that Glokta doesn't prove superior to a corrupt world because he's a terrible person and thus not better than anyone else. The mistake you've made is first that you don't know what "proving superior" means even after I've clarified it. Glokta proves superior to the world around him because his intelligence and ruthlessness allows him to overcome the challenges before him and defeat his adversaries, who are corrupt because they pompously pretend to be better than they are.

The general argument against is that it doesn't matter because he's a bad man and his life sucks. If that was true, then Glokta wouldn't even survive through his adventures. If he actually sucked, he would simply be outplayed by Goyle or Sult and die unceremoniously. But because Glokta serves a fantasy of intellectual superiority, he isn't outplayed by them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Glokta isn't outplayed by them because he is given material support, not because he does anything particularly clever.

Also you seem to be conflating "Glokta is a bad person and his life sucks" into "Glokta sucks" which isn't what anyone is saying.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

Glokta... does anything particularly clever.

Well yeah, Abercrombie has never written a character who is genuinely clever.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also you seem to be conflating "Glokta is a bad person and his life sucks" into "Glokta sucks" which isn't what anyone is saying.

I'm doing the opposite. People point out to Glokta's misery to emphasize how terrible he is and does not reflect a fantasy. What I'm saying is that his personal suffering is immaterial. If he really "sucked" then he would just die ingloriously and Goyle would be running the country.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

His personal suffering informs his entire character. Without it Glokta would be a general, not a torturer.

Setting that aside, Glokta still does not prove superior to anything. He spends the majority of the trilogy speculating on when his superiors will decide to unceremoniously dispose of him. The only thing that keeps him alive is his ability to get results, where "results" are whatever his superiors tell him to do. He outlasts Sult and Goyle only because he is a more useful instrument of Bayaz' will.

Perhaps it is a fantasy of some readers to show up their incompetent boss, and when viewed in that light sure, Glokta's story is that kind of fantasy. But the ending to his story is explicitly that torturing Sult is a consolation prize; the true happy ending for Glokta would be death at the hands of Pike.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

coolusername posted:

While Glokta's ending is: "at least you can torture people better and you have a nice house to go with your complete and utter empty wreck of a life, i guess, enjoy."

He marries Ardee and she seems to like him so he's got something besides the material.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So this is all just an opportunity for dude to name-drop the totally serious modernist incest fiction he's in to.

Oh so modernist fiction about incest is supposed to be bad now?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, saw a ton of posts and thought this got picked up for a series or movie or something. But then it turned out BotL just posted something in here. Gotta say, this could turn out to be just as entertaining. I've never seen someone that hates books so much but loves to talk about them.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
in botl's mind he trolls as good as joe abercrombie writes fantasy irl

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

A human heart posted:

If you enjoyed reading it then you suck you loving simp.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If you enjoyed reading it then you suck you loving simp.

Are you ok my man

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Postmodernist genre misery porn is superior, clearly.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Setting that aside, Glokta still does not prove superior to anything. He spends the majority of the trilogy speculating on when his superiors will decide to unceremoniously dispose of him. The only thing that keeps him alive is his ability to get results, where "results" are whatever his superiors tell him to do. He outlasts Sult and Goyle only because he is a more useful instrument of Bayaz' will.

So he's not superior to anyone because he's... competetent enough to survive and thrive in his environment?

That doesn't seem to follow.

quote:

The First of the Magi watched him, the same look in his bright eyes that a man might have while watching an interesting beetle. “I must admit that you fascinate me, Superior. Your life would seem to be entirely unbearable. And yet you fight so very, very hard to stay alive. With every weapon and stratagem. You simply refuse to die.”

“I am ready to die.” Glokta returned his gaze, like for like. “But I refuse to lose.”

“Whatever the cost, eh? We are two of a kind, you and I, and we are a rare kind indeed. We understand what must be done, and we do not flinch from doing it, regardless of sentiment..."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am enjoying people reimagining the plot of the series so that they don't have admit that the cool witty sarcastic viewpoint character is a self-insert fantasy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm enjoying you reimagining the plot series so you don't have to admit Glokta is a mangled torturer who ends the book series in as bad a situation or worse as the one he started in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's simply not true. He's better off than when he started.

The way his suffering is constantly underlined only makes it clear that his suffering doesn't really matter at all. He's still a powerful man of wealth and influence. He's more powerful than before he was crippled.

The suffering is a justification of this fantasy, which allows readers to believe that he's better for having been purified of any pride and pretensions, and that they aren't "really" enjoying the cynicism, sadism and nihilism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 15, 2018