Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Viridiant posted:

I'm sorry miss but you don't have a permit to do everything a frog does, please stop.

I want an MHA spinoff starring a regular beat cop. Make it a 4koma.

Hagakure never gets hassled about her quirk, but she gets plenty of indecent exposure tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Viridiant posted:

I'm sorry miss but you don't have a permit to do everything a frog does, please stop.

I want an MHA spinoff starring a regular beat cop. Make it a 4koma.

Do they stop and frisk heteromorphic quirks and book them on minor drug offences

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Rhonne posted:

Hagakure never gets hassled about her quirk, but she gets plenty of indecent exposure tickets.

The court case over this could actually make for some good gags.

Eej posted:

Do they stop and frisk heteromorphic quirks and book them on minor drug offences

Look if we're making this about American cops that's gonna be a whole different genre of comic entirely.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Imagine the couple vigilante dreaming dudes that show up right after every shooting kited out ready to take on the shooter. Now everyone in that area has a different superpower.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Viridiant posted:

Look if we're making this about American cops that's gonna be a whole different genre of comic entirely.

We had a discussion about this earlier but it's not like the Japanese police are anywhere near humane with treatment of suspects and prisoners either.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Eej posted:

We had a discussion about this earlier but it's not like the Japanese police are anywhere near humane with treatment of suspects and prisoners either.

Ahh, yeah I don't know much about Japanese law enforcement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Viridiant posted:

Have you ever played Phoenix Wright? Because it's a satire of actual Japanese criminal law, and probably isn't as far away from reality as you'd think/hope.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

Have you ever played Phoenix Wright? Because it's a satire of actual Japanese criminal law, and probably isn't as far away from reality as you'd think/hope.
We've been over this before, but Japan only started allowing jury trials in 2009.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Viridiant posted:

Japanese law enforcement is heavily focused on getting confessions.

By whatever means necessary.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vonnie posted:

Also it's Gal Might.

e: gently caress

Now I'm beginning to wonder what Nana's superhero name was.

Also what her none OFA quirk was.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Say Nothing posted:

Now I'm beginning to wonder what Nana's superhero name was.
Nananananana...

Batman!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Japanese law enforcement is heavily focused on getting confessions.

By whatever means necessary.

Is it a culture thing or does it go beyond that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Failure’s not considered acceptable culturally, so the cases that go to court are 99% the “safest” ones where a criminal conviction is guaranteed and for the ones that aren’t, sometimes a forced confession will go a long way.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/heronewsnetwork/status/1006099295727177729

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Failure’s not considered acceptable culturally, so the cases that go to court are 99% the “safest” ones where a criminal conviction is guaranteed and for the ones that aren’t, sometimes a forced confession will go a long way.

Disappointing for a civilized nation.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

do your best... all might...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mordaedil posted:

Are you fishing for a "Plus Ultra"?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Culturally confessions have always been treated as iron clad evidence even if they're known to be false, because it's essentially claiming responsibility even if you weren't the perp.

You confess, you did it. Even if there's video evidence otherwise or a gigantic booming voice from the sky says "he didn't do it".

So yeah any scenes you've seen in Japanese-written media where the police/government seem weirdly insistent on getting a written confession now has more context.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mordaedil posted:

Disappointing for a civilized nation.
At least they get trials in the first place?

Edit: And I don't know if it was mentioned in-thread yet or not, but pretty much the whole thesis behind Apollo Justice was :siren: HEY IDIOTS CHECK OUT THIS COOL THING CALLED A JURY SYSYEM :siren:, and the portrayal of the Judge as a well-meaning idiot is actually a very charitable/idealistic one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not having a jury system isn't really indicative of a bad justice system. For example, we don't have a jury system in Finland.

(not disagreeing with Japan's justice system being terrible)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

At least they get trials in the first place?

Edit: And I don't know if it was mentioned in-thread yet or not, but pretty much the whole thesis behind Apollo Justice was :siren: HEY IDIOTS CHECK OUT THIS COOL THING CALLED A JURY SYSYEM :siren:, and the portrayal of the Judge as a well-meaning idiot is actually a very charitable/idealistic one.

Even in the context of him being a well meaning idiot it's implied he's sent tons of innocent people to jail.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Radish posted:

Even in the context of him being a well meaning idiot it's implied he's sent tons of innocent people to jail.

Yup. Repeatedly loving over innocent people over out of stupidity still makes you a horrible person even if you didn't really intend to do it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I liked our version better

"I believe in All Might"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Slime posted:

Yup. Repeatedly loving over innocent people over out of stupidity still makes you a horrible person even if you didn't really intend to do it.

They try to soften it by saying "he always makes the correct choice in the end" which is true when you are the player but that doesn't vibe with the plot that Phoenix is getting people off that typically would have no chance whatsoever and they aren't outliers when the prosecutors are really bad. Every defendant pretty much goes into their trial with the attitude of "I am absolutely hosed" and never with the hope that the truth will come out and they will be exonerated. They retconned Edgeworth a bunch since in the first game he was literally a monster that was convicting innocent people and afterward they imply he was just being an rear end in a top hat but was still going after real criminals.

The Japanese system sounds like a nightmare.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 14, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aviary Attorney (recently LPed by Xander77) has a character who's basically Edgeworth but actually a good person. (Well, rooster, but y'know.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eN9LIjXmGA

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
You know, I normally don't give a poo poo about filler shounen movies but for whatever reason I'm on-board with what was going on in that trailer.

E: I think it's the prospect of fabulously animated punches. I also wonder what's up with Deku getting Shirou' Heavens Feel arm wrap.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 14, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

You know, I normally don't give a poo poo about filler shounen movies but for whatever reason I'm on-board with what was going on in that trailer.

That's because it looks sweet. Young All Might looks less weird not that we get to see him actually in motion.

How much do you wanna bet that red thing Midoriya has on his arm will let him punch with his full strength without breaking his arm or something.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, see my edit. It's gotta be some sort of restrictor or shock absorber or something (that is one of a kind and he will break by going plus ultra).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shere posted:

Yeah, see my edit. It's gotta be some sort of restrictor or shock absorber or something (that is one of a kind and he will break by going plus ultra).

Oh yeah, no way is that thing making it to the end of the movie.

I also like that everyone seems to be wearing fancy outfits during that last part. They all clean up so well. :3:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Young all might :allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much of the class is going to be there. The trailer only shows a few of them, but I hope they all show up.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Andrast posted:

Not having a jury system isn't really indicative of a bad justice system. For example, we don't have a jury system in Finland.

(not disagreeing with Japan's justice system being terrible)

Well yeah, as any criminal lawyer will tell you, juries can make really stupid decisions too, and plenty of situations where if you had an option of choosing between a jury and a judge you (theoretically) knew to be acting in good faith your lawyer would really, really want to go with the judge. (Disclaimer: Not a criminal lawyer, just been told this by criminal lawyers on occasion.)

None of this has any bearing on Japan's justice system not being terrible, just that trial by jury isn't actually miraculously fairer than trial by legal professional in all circumstances.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rhonne posted:

Oh yeah, no way is that thing making it to the end of the movie.

I also like that everyone seems to be wearing fancy outfits during that last part. They all clean up so well. :3:

It's the One Piece model of "give them really cool movie-exclusive outfits" which gave us the best Robin, sweater and glasses Robin.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1007082020328083457

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well yeah, as any criminal lawyer will tell you, juries can make really stupid decisions too, and plenty of situations where if you had an option of choosing between a jury and a judge you (theoretically) knew to be acting in good faith your lawyer would really, really want to go with the judge. (Disclaimer: Not a criminal lawyer, just been told this by criminal lawyers on occasion.)

None of this has any bearing on Japan's justice system not being terrible, just that trial by jury isn't actually miraculously fairer than trial by legal professional in all circumstances.

Considering how much of Japan's constitution was dictated by America it is really interesting to me that jury trial didn't make the cut.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Considering how much of Japan's constitution was dictated by America it is really interesting to me that jury trial didn't make the cut.

Germany doesn't have jury trials either. Despite the romanticization of "twelve men good and true" in Anglo-American culture, I suspect the New Deal liberals involved in drafting the postwar constitutions weren't big fans of jury trials and preferred professional judges making the decisions.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Does this mean Nana is Raichu?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Does this mean Nana is Raichu?

Nana is Pikachu Libre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the One Piece model of "give them really cool movie-exclusive outfits" which gave us the best Robin, sweater and glasses Robin.

Now I want them to recreate that scene in Strong World were the crew shows up to the villains base and just pull out a fuckload of guns.